Rumor: Tim Cook reveals waterproofing on Apple Watch has improved since unveiling, can be worn in sh

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Cook is also alleged to have told employees that Apple Pay will arrive in Europe "before the end of the year." Apple Pay at retail is currently only available in the U.S.

I wish this was in Australia already. It's one of the reasons I upgraded my iPhone. I thought the international rollout would be so much faster given that most retailers already have the EFTPOS terminals. Seems like financial institutions are dragging their heels.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Before anyone wears a 'water resistant' or 'water proof' watch while washing their hands, taking a shower, diving in a pool of water or wearing it in the rain, or even commenting further should best read the following articles:

Quote: Cult of Mac, Sep 9, 2014

One of the smaller details Apple failed to mention during today’s keynote was its new watch’s tolerance of liquids. While the Apple Watch is designed to stay on your wrist all day, it’s not suited for all situations.

It turns out that the Apple Watch will be just fine with a little water, but don’t plan on wearing it while swimming.

Tech journalist David Pogue learned a couple of things about Apple’s new wearable in a private briefing during today’s media event. Apple told him that its watch is “water resistant,” not waterproof. “Sweating, wearing it in the rain, washing your hands, or cooking with it is fine. Take it off before the swim or get in the shower, though.”

Quote: DeLoach Watch Service

What does "Water Resistant" really mean?

Water resistant watches are rated based on a laboratory pressure test comparable to a swimmer sitting still under water at a certain depth.

(Great info) http://deloachwatchservice.com/other_stuff/water_resistancy.htm

Quote:

Want a waterproof Apple Watch? Liquipel will offer nano-coating

A couple of notes:

I take my watch off every night.

I never wear a watch in the shower.

I never wore a watch when I was high diving, snorkelling or swimming

I wash my hands wearing a watch, but not my wrists.

But then again, I respect my collection of watches no matter what price I paid for any of them; some of which are rather quite expensive and need a watch winder so I don't have to reset them. 

P.S. Keep in mind that wearing a Apple Watch at the beach one should also consider Apple's specs (to come) which are probably not much different than for the iPhone:

• Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)

• Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

• Reply 63 of 80
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Perhaps users can charge the watch before they go to bed? Hence my questions around how long it takes to charge.

Perhaps they can charge the watch IN THE SHOWER!

• Reply 64 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    rogifan wrote: »
    OK so regarding ?Watch charging, any ideas on how long it takes to charge the device? Cook says he charges it nightly but I dobut it takes an entire night to charge. Could it be under 2 hours? Or even way less than that?
    Good question. An iPhone seems to charge amazingly fast these days, so with such a tiny device as the ?Watch it's hard to imagine it taking more than .. what ... half an hour?
  • Reply 65 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    onhka wrote: »
    Before anyone wears a 'water resistant' or 'water proof' watch while washing their hands, taking a shower, diving in a pool of water or wearing it in the rain, or even commenting further should best read the following articles:

A couple of notes:

I take my watch off every night.
    I never wear a watch in the shower.
    I never wore a watch when I was high diving, snorkelling or swimming
    I wash my hands wearing a watch, but not my wrists.
    But then again, I respect my collection of watches no matter what price I paid for any of them; some of which are rather quite expensive and need a watch winder so I don't have to reset them. 

P.S. Keep in mind that wearing a Apple Watch at the beach one should also consider Apple's specs (to come) which are probably not much different than for the iPhone:
    • Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
    • Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

Funny how people differ, I never take my Rolex off. Had it for 35 years. Swimming, showering, kayaking ... snorkeling and even scuba diving once off the Florida Keys (bad I know, shark bait, I totally forgot). I suspect it probably has about the same water resistance as the ?Watch will have.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Funny how people differ, I never take my Rolex off. Had it for 35 years. Swimming, showering, kayaking ... snorkeling and even scuba diving once off the Florida Keys (bad I know, shark bait, I totally forgot). I suspect it probably has about the same water resistance as the ?Watch will have.

Well, according to the DeLoach article, your Rolex should will tell you how water resistant it is.

Quote:

How Submergible Is Your Watch?

It's easy to tell. Just look on the dial, usually between the 4 and 7 digits, or on the case-back for the reference words: water resistant, water resist, W/R, 3ATM and/or the included reference of: 100, 150, 200, feet/meters etc.. A watch is not designed to be deliberately submerged under water if it is not so signified by a depth rating, which will be printed on the dial of the watch or somewhere on the case back with the reference depth for which it is rated.

As for you never taking off your Rolex, I see no evidence to date that assures me 100% that the ?Watch will have the same water resistance. And even if it did, I wouldn't attempt to test it as such: I have seen enough things crash and die, (even boats), when they get too wet.  

• Reply 67 of 80
    As for you never taking off your Rolex, I see no evidence to date that assures me 100% that the ?Watch will have the same water resistance. And even if it did, I wouldn't attempt to test it as such: I have seen enough things crash and die, (even boats), when they get too wet.

1) If it has an IP67 rating or better, or anything something about atmospheres I think you can feel pretty safe that it will be water resistance to those levels.

2) The good news is you don't have to test ?Watch. Apple's mindshare pretty much guarantees that there will be many doing their darnedest to determine its limitations.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) If it has an IP67 rating or better, or anything something about atmospheres I think you can feel pretty safe that it will be water resistance to those levels.

2) The good news is you don't have to test ?Watch. Apple's mindshare pretty much guarantees that there will be many doing their darnedest to determine its limitations.

1) Far from 100% assurance

2) Correct. However, it is Apple that will define whether or not their product was used in accordance to their guidelines. And just how many ?Watches will be rejected because there is no means to determine conclusively that the user did or did not do exactly as they described.

• Reply 69 of 80
    1) Far from 100% assurance
    2) Correct. However, it is Apple that will define whether or not their product was used in accordance to their guidelines. And just how many ?Watches will be rejected because there is no means to determine conclusively that the user did or did not do exactly as they described.

1) Are there ever any assurances? If it's an IP67 rating I wouldn't think twice about getting it wet, but I might hesitate if I"m swimming with it since my arm may go below a meter's depth and the force of hitting of the water and pulling through it could be more force than the IPx7 rating tests for.

2) Of all the major CE companies out there, if Apple says, "yes, you can use in a shower," I would expect to be able to use it in the shower, and in the odd case that something does go wrong they will replace it. The benefit of their mindshare is we simply won't likely have to take Apple's word for it. If people are willing to purposely bend an iPhone to show the obvious I think there will be more than enough videos showing how ?Watch fairs in water.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Marvin wrote: »
    A touch strip is less restrictive (as well as allowing it to be waterproof):

A small touch bar with end-points would probably be better so that you could steady the watch without it recognising it as home and scroll on the right without touching the left bar although it would know to ignore gestures that weren't home, which would be press and hold (maybe use a pressure sensor).

These would be on each side and central. Not buttons and not sticking out as far but fixed and water sealed touch areas with an edge you can feel. They also mean you could wear the watch in any direction. As well as scroll, it can allow you to tap the top or bottom of the right bar to increment or decrement values.

Waterproofing still doesn't allow the watch to operate under water. Water affect how the capacitive display works. Still, it would be great for controlling tunes in the bath while wearing wireless Beats without worrying about breaking the watch.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    Quote:

1) Are there ever any assurances? If it's an IP67 rating I wouldn't think twice about getting it wet, but I might hesitate if I"m swimming with it since my arm may go below a meter's depth and the force of hitting of the water and pulling through it could be more force than the IPx7 rating tests for.

2) Of all the major CE companies out there, if Apple says, "yes, you can use in a shower," I would expect to be able to use it in the shower, and in the odd case that something does go wrong they will replace it. The benefit of their mindshare is we simply won't likely have to take Apple's word for it. If people are willing to purposely bend an iPhone to show the obvious I think there will be more than enough videos showing how ?Watch fairs in water.

1) So we are in general agreement.

2) At what temperature? 

I doubt that Apple will go as far as "You can wear your ?Watch in the shower."

The issue in such a case is not just getting the ?Watch wet, it is the water pressure as you indicated, but even temperature that can significantly affect the resistance. As well, how can one prove that they didn't exceed the specs, and at the sales volume that has been projected what, where and how much does Apple set aside monies to cover any potential repair/replacement and/or insurance program that may ensue?

• Reply 72 of 80
    1) So we are in general agreement.

Not even in the slightest if you still have this doom and gloom scenario about ?Watch.
    2) At what temperature?

I doubt that Apple will go as far as "You can wear your ?Watch in the shower."

The issue in such a case is not just getting the ?Watch wet, it is the water pressure as you indicated, but even temperature that can significantly affect the resistance. As well, how can one prove that they didn't exceed the specs, and at the sales volume that has been projected what, where and how much does Apple set aside monies to cover any potential repair/replacement and/or insurance program that may ensue?

Apple has listed the temperature ranges of their products for years. Any restiatance to water statement should take that into consideration. If not, that's Apple's problem, but I really doubt a steamy shower is going to push the envelope.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

I still really don't get the thing about swimming with a watch (unless doing triathlon and doing the crawl, long distance in open water, which probably is the least impacted stroke and conditions by a watch).

But still. I'd much prefer having the wrist with nothing on it to mess around the stroke. People use specialized body suits to modulate fluid displacement around their body for a reason, a watch doesn't help that :-).

I don't do long distance swimming though. I do much shorter faster swims (max 400m for crawl, backstroke and breaststoke), 100m for fly, with slower cool downs in between. Like interval training in water. A very high cadence swim in calm water with a watch seems a big hindrance to me.

• Reply 74 of 80
    foggyhill wrote: »
    I still really don't get the thing about swimming with a watch (unless doing triathlon and doing the crawl, long distance in open water, which probably is the least impacted stroke and conditions by a watch).

But still. I'd much prefer having the wrist with nothing on it to mess around the stroke. People use specialized body suits to modulate fluid displacement around their body for a reason, a watch doesn't help that :-).

I don't do long distance swimming though. I do much shorter faster swims (max 400m for crawl, backstroke and breaststoke), 100m for fly, with slower cool downs in between. Like interval training in water. A very high cadence swim in calm water with a watch seems a big hindrance to me.

If the device could accurately monitor distance, calories burned based on stroke, record heart rate during the exercise, etc., then it would be useful, but will be surprised if even your pulse can be measured with the sensors getting water flushed between them and your wrist during a stroke.
  • Reply 75 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

For people who want to wear their watch to the beach leaving it, or anything of worth, on the shore can be problematic. Heck when I'd go I wouldn't even take house keys, just some money in a ziplock or small disposable sports wallet.

• Reply 76 of 80
    Quote:

[1] Not even in the slightest if you still have this doom and gloom scenario about ?Watch.

[2] Apple has listed the temperature ranges of their products for years. Any restiatance to water statement should take that into consideration. If not, that's Apple's problem, but I really doubt a steamy shower is going to push the envelope.

[1] I don't have the slightest such scenario. I fully believe the ?Watch will sell in the millions. But like all my watches, (some over $5,000), I don't wear any of them in the shower even tho most are classified as water resistant.

[2] I too don't believe that a steamy shower will push the envelope. However, there is a point of continuous resistance. And putting any watch under extreme conditions routinely just can't help but speed up the deterioration of the seals or for that matter everything that purities in the water could infuse. 

Bottom line: I don't see much need to wear a watch or use my Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod in water. So why increase the potential of damaging rather valuable products by intentionally putting them in harms way.

• Reply 77 of 80
    Unless the new Apple Watch is waterproof, I won't be buying one. As a swimmer and someone who want to track my workout, I consider it essential.

Perhaps version 2.0 will be fully waterproof.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Bottom line: I don't see much need to wear a watch or use my Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod in water. So why increase the potential of damaging rather valuable products by intentionally putting them in harms way.

That's just silly. Why would use use them in a shower since they aren't to be worn? Are you against dive watches, which are also water resistant, because you don't want to risk getting them wet? BTW, I bring my iPhone into the bathroom during a hot steamy shower so I can play music via BT speakers I have in there. Works great. Never had a problem. I also have it plugged in so I can use "Hey Siri" to change tracks.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smcarter View Post

Unless the new Apple Watch is waterproof, I won't be buying one. As a swimmer and someone who want to track my workout, I consider it essential.

Perhaps version 2.0 will be fully waterproof.

Check your current watch? Odds are even were it a full on dive watch that it is labeled "water resistant" and not waterproof (my Casio states Water Resistant 200M). One exception? Rolex Submariner which even today states "waterproof".