12-page print ad & digital video showcase Apple Watch in March issue of Vogue

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2015
As the April launch of the Apple Watch fast approaches, Apple has taken out a major 12-page ad in the latest issue of fashion magazine Vogue, and also included a video version in the digital iPad edition.

Apple Watch ad in the March 2015 issue of Vogue, via ray_kuan.

The Apple Watch ad shows the wrist-worn accessory in a variety of styles and colors, including close-up views of the hardware and swappable watch bands. The first look at the Vogue ad was posted on Instagram earlier this week by user "ray_kuan."

Apple also has a special digital version of the ad, showing a 360-degree look at the Apple Watch, in the iPad edition of this month's issue. The ad was posted by Instagram user "poppyorjewelry."

... Or this? #applewatch advertisement of the #future @voguemagazine #vogue #tablet #march2015

A video posted by POPPYOR. (@poppyorjewelry) on Feb 24, 2015 at 7:11am PST

In the print version, the Apple Watch hardware is shown in actual size, as noted by MacRumors. This way, Apple can give readers an idea of how the device will look when it becomes available to own in a few months.

The ad features the entry-level Apple Watch Sport with durable rubber bands, the mid-level Apple Watch with stainless steel band and magnetic clasp, and the luxury 18-karat gold Apple Watch Edition.

Apple Watch ad in the March 2015 issue of Vogue, via MacRumors.

The new ads are yet another sign of how Apple is targeting the fashion industry with its upcoming device. The Apple Watch will also make its U.S. magazine cover debut in the March issue of Self.

In addition, supermodel Liu Wen work the Apple Watch in a Vogue China spread last October.

Apple is also said to be taking unorthodox approaches to marketing the Apple Watch, including an in-store display at Paris's high-end Galeries Lafayette department store. The marketing efforts only serve to underscore how Apple is rethinking its longstanding promotional strategies as it begins its foray into the entirely new market of wearable devices and fashion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Can't wait to see and hear the dimwitted ways in which Samsung and Google will respond to this.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    That's so classy. So different from this creepy "tech bro" ad:

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/55769/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Can't wait to see and hear the dimwitted ways in which Samsung and Google will respond to this.

Samsung will advertise in the National Enquirer.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    sog35 wrote: »
    but, but, but, but, I can't dive 500 meters in it.....

Fashion models don't dive 500 meters.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    This is something one wears on their wrist at all times... I'd really like to see how it ages - it has no case or protection.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    This will rival Apple's insert in Newsweek in November / December of 1984 for the original Mac. Interestingly, it's also the same number of pages, 12.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

I gotta say that after seeing this thing months ago, that it still looks surprisingly fresh and sleek is a testament to Jony and his design staff. At first I though it was a little clunky but now it just looks charming. The watch looks cute in a very cool way. I think it will sell just fine. I now want one too. I'll get the Sport model. 

That it's design has stood up to months of scrutiny an still look better months later, is a good indication that the design will stand the test of time. None of that can be said of any of the poor android wear devices. Gadgets that somehow manage to look far worse and dated just minutes after unboxing.

• Reply 8 of 33
    That's so classy. So different from this creepy "tech bro" ad:

Thanks for reminding me of that. I'm about to catch a flight, but now I have to go shower again.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I'm going to be really annoyed if the Apple Watch costs more than 500$, which is almost certain. That's too much for me and I don't like the aluminum of the Sports Edition.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    koolhaas wrote: »
    This is something one wears on their wrist at all times... I'd really like to see how it ages - it has no case or protection.

?Watch Bumpers<sup>®</sup>?
  • Reply 11 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I'm going to be really annoyed if the Apple Watch costs more than 500$, which is almost certain. That's too much for me and I don't like the aluminum of the Sports Edition.

Well, wait for another year then. I think Apple will drop the price to under $300.

• Reply 12 of 33
    clemynx wrote: »

I would bet anything that many of the 18 ?Watch* models cost over $500. If you want the white or black sport band on the stainless steel and sapphire ?Watch then maybe it'll be around $500, but you need to consider what the starting price gets you.

$350 is likely for a 38mm ?Watch Sport and I predict another $30-50 for the 42mm version. Larger screen, larger battery, more metal, wider band, etc. all add up to more cost. So if the 42mm ?Watch Sport is $400 for the Silver Aluminium casing in the 4 coluored bands (white, green, blue, pink) what would be the cost of the black coloured band that only comes in the Space Gray Aluminium casing? My guess is it will cost more like the black polycarb MacBook of 2006. Can we say $50 premium on that for a total of $450 for the most expensive ?Watch Sport? If so, then how much would adding sapphire over Gorilla Glass, stainless steal over aluminium, and that black paint on the Digital Crown cost? $500 seems like it might be lucky to hit, but there is also the psychological aspect of $499 as a price point so maybe they will.

If I buy one I'll likely get ?Watch Sport in Space Grey.

* I wish they would have given it a secondary name to keep it from being confused with the ?Watch series of watches.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I love all the white space in those ads. So classy, so ?.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

:rolleyes: Thankfully, I'm not so fickle about about aluminum or silver colored things.  

I also don't feel the need to bedazzle my iPhone, so there's that evolutionary advantage too.

• Reply 15 of 33

I guess quality metal/sapphire crystal watches for under $500 don't exist. Not to talk of the smart, beautiful device this one is.

The good thing of this is that the ASP of ?Watch will surely be well over $600. So, use that money to buy some calls now, and you will be able to get it for free by April, May at most.

• Reply 16 of 33
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    redefiler wrote: »
    :rolleyes:  Thankfully, I'm not so fickle about about aluminum or silver colored things.  
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">I also don't feel the need to bedazzle my iPhone, so there's that evolutionary advantage too.</span>

That's not a color, but a different appearance and texture altogether. It's completely different. If I had no limits for how much I'm ready to pay, I'd buy the space gray aluminum with the link bracelet. It's absolutely gorgeous. Nothing beats black for me and it makes the watch look even smaller.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member

I'm speculating that there's gonna be some zingers in the Apple event that kicks this thing off. One of the things that has peoples' panties in a bunch is the limited "lifespan" of a tech watch, particularly the gold editions, that could cost will into 5 figures. I'm really wondering if Apple will have a "trade-in" policy on the Apple Watch Editions. For a price, of course, but nevermind that for now. They can address a perceived shortcoming by having the ability to bring in your own Edition for a future version. That's a prestige/glamour appeal. 

Original owners only? Or maybe a fee to transfer. Maybe only good once? There's a lotta business models. But one thing they serious need to consider is doing it all upfront, so as not to appear somehow desperate if there is a perception of not selling enough. Leave the upgrade pricing for later.

Really wanna see this next media event....

• Reply 18 of 33
    eightzero wrote: »
    I'm really wondering if Apple will have a "trade-in" policy on the Apple Watch Editions.

IMO, a trade-in program would be the less impressive solution. When it comes to jewelry, watches included, the styling is important to people, hence the 34 different styles you can buy from this 1st ten product. That's very atypical for Apple, but I'd like them to push that of the their box thinking by creating an upgrade program, perhaps as Apple Watch Authorized Dealers. Just like you might go into a jewelry store to have a watch battery replaced, I'd like to see a program that would have the S-series chip updated. That means a lot of planning for a standardized SIP size and interface. This is difficult, to say the least, but at least with a watch the footprints stay fairly regulated so I think it's doable.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

IMO, a trade-in program would be the less impressive solution. When it comes to jewelry, watches included, the styling is important to people, hence the 34 different styles you can buy from this 1st ten product. That's very atypical for Apple, but I'd like them to push that of the their box thinking by creating an upgrade program, perhaps as Apple Watch Authorized Dealers. Just like you might go into a jewelry store to have a watch battery replaced, I'd like to see a program that would have the S-series chip updated. That means a lot of planning for a standardized SIP size and interface. This is difficult, to say the least, but at least with a watch the footprints stay fairly regulated so I think it's doable.

We're thinking on the same lines. I just think they'll take the old Edition in trade for a new Edition. The old Edition is essentially melted down for metal content. A "refurbished" Edition is probably detrimental to the brand. We know the internals are less than $350. And you really get the "out of the box" disruption of the traditional luxury watch model of a Rolex lasting decades. Yes, there will be a upgrade cost, but it isn't in 5 figures.

The problem with a "drop in" updating is that upgrades to the screen are likely. These probably aren't doable in a shop (or even at the Apple factory.) I expect big tech changes in the screens, since these are the part that is a big power consumer. 

But a $10k Edition this year. When the next Edition comes out, upgrade with credit for trade-in. They don't even need to set a price upfront. Jeebz, at these prices, they might toss in the iPhone part too.

Really new territory for Apple. Will be really interesting to see how they manage.

• Reply 20 of 33
    eightzero wrote: »
    We're thinking on the same lines. I just think they'll take the old Edition in trade for a new Edition.

That's where I have a problem with the idea. What if I want to keep that "classic" styling or simply don't like the new YoY styling but want to have the increased capabilities of the latest SIP.
    The problem with a "drop in" updating is that upgrades to the screen are likely.

How often are the display resolution updated on a device? I'd think the SIP, battery, and sensor array would be easily replaced. The latter because it's built into the charging ring ceramic which I assume is the way you access the internals of ?Watch.