Apple's iPad loses ground to generic tablets in 2014, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Every time one of these articles comes out then 8 months later we read another article staying the original article was not true because the company that did the survey padded the numbers so its stock holders portfolios would not crash and burn. Seriously why does this site fall prey to these made up stories. Why don't you guys go do some fact finding to prove it's not true or find out how many were shipped initially then returned before the 90 day cut off where if you don't return the product within 90 days you're stuck with it. Let's have those return numbers too guys. Just sayin'
  • Reply 22 of 60
    sog35 wrote: »
    I think Apple's marketing leaves a lot to be desired these days. 'Bigger than big'? That's the sort of drivel I expect from Samsung, not Apple.

They seem to have tried inhouse ad teams, but I don't think it's working out well. There's not enough focus.

But, to put it into perspective, the iPad is still amazingly successful. It's sad that Jobs died so young, as his was the driving vision that created it, and he died only the year after it was introduced. If only he had been able to cheerlead his baby for a little longer.

Yes not working well.

Glad you agree with me.

Tim Cook is too afraid to sack anyone.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Brand X, give me manufacturer and product names and we can discuss them. Otherwise they could include tablets built into refrigerators or car audio systems. If they can't give them a name then quit reporting on them.
  • Reply 24 of 60

I stopped reading once I saw Strategy Analytics as the source.

With these analysts, the "generic" tablets represent the catch all category where their margins of error get dumped. In other words, this is crap data.

• Reply 25 of 60
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

well, duh! Loses ground to $80 tablets... Who writes this stuff?

• Reply 26 of 60
    For me, the proof was in the response this past Christmas when we got all the grandkids and their parents iPads. They ripped them open with a passion and exclaimed " It's an Apple iPad!!! OMG OMG!! we thought you got us one of those cheap Nooks or something but it's a real iPad OMG OMG!!"

That said it all. never seen such excitement. 8-)
  • Reply 27 of 60
    eriamjh wrote: »
    These are the tablets pre-loaded with malware, right?

Hey, the manufacturers have to make some money on the backend if they don't on the frontend, right? Works for Lenovo...
  • Reply 28 of 60
    palomine wrote: »
    For me, the proof was in the response this past Christmas when we got all the grandkids and their parents iPads. They ripped them open with a passion and exclaimed " It's an Apple iPad!!! OMG OMG!! we thought you got us one of those cheap Nooks or something but it's a real iPad OMG OMG!!"

That said it all. never seen such excitement. 8-)

Discriminating consumers are not misled by cheap substitutes... especially those still in public school. There's Apple products and then there's the stuff the unlucky kids get as a gift who's grandparents think all tablets are the same. "Oh look, the tablet grandpa got you already has all the software included..."
  • Reply 29 of 60
    rob53 wrote: »
    Brand X, give me manufacturer and product names and we can discuss them. Otherwise they could include tablets built into refrigerators or car audio systems. If they can't give them a name then quit reporting on them.

You need to read the article again. I'll bet you really believe if the table has GE stamped on the frame, GE must have made the tablet... Dho!
  • Reply 30 of 60
    jungmark wrote: »
    I wonder if they find 100 people who bought and actually use these Brand X tablets. Also, what do they consider as tablets.

Wallgren's had some sub-$100 tablets that were nearly all DOA right out of the box... some kids got the 21st century equivalent of a piece of coal for Christmas. The brand name on the box was a well-known radio brand from the early 20th century... Ever heard of Emerson? The company's dead but the brand lives on ...
  • Reply 31 of 60
    msantti wrote: »
    People buy garbage.

Confirmed!

I used to be in sales.... the term, "Shit Sells," is alive and well...
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's the likes of these:

http://www.walmart.com/tp/tablets-under-100

They're using ok processors too even in the $50-60 models e.g:

http://www.mediatek.com/en/products/mobile-communications/tablet/mt8127/

They have poor quality displays but easily something you could give as a gift or to a kid to throw around. For books, movie playback and some games, they'd do the job ok at about 1/4 the price of the iPad.

These kind of companies are happy to make $5 on a $50-60 tablet because if they sell in the millions then it's a few million in profit whereas Apple makes billions in profit. They might be monetizing them with bundled free-to-play apps too.

Apple can't compete with these kind of sellers. They might not have to but they're obviously going to erode a large number of potential sales.

I never think of someone who buys such a piece of shit as a "lost potential sale"... it's more of a "delayed sale" instead. The buyer will be back when the junk craps out... this time (hopefully) a bit wiser buyer then before.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

I had a few moments with a generic(?) tablet once and it was utterly inferior to the iPad. I would not even compare them as a category of devices. This is why sales numbers alone, while an interesting metric, are useless. (Sure, I like to see Apple's numbers on top but at least in part so that fewer people are subjected to rubbish products). Apple provides everyday lessons in what is possible.

• Reply 34 of 60
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

That said it all. never seen such excitement. image

My great nephew received a tablet from his parents who continually reassured him that it was as good as an iPad. They quite possibly believed that it was. He remained unconvinced.

• Reply 35 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I think Apple's marketing leaves a lot to be desired these days. 'Bigger than big'? That's the sort of drivel I expect from Samsung, not Apple.

I think you're a little confused pal. "Bigger than big" is the "drivel" behind the iPhone, not the iPad. You know, the phone, not the tablet? That thing that just sold 75,000,000+ in the last quarter, destroying even the most optimistic expectations? Even if you're so ignorant enough to get those 2 confused, how can you be so obtuse as to believe that's a tagline for the iPad, which has never increased in size? Or did you knowingly state that, while blaming sales of the iPad on the "drivel" marketing that resulted in 75M phones sold in a quarter, which makes even less sense? 

It's sad that you prioritize trolling over facts and honesty. It's even sadder how much contempt you have for the facts in your confused zeal to troll. 

I doubt Apple gives a **** how many $50 tablets are being sold. That "marketshare" is utterly irrelevant, and benefits noone. 95% of the tablets I actually see out there are iPads, and the reason sales don't reflect the iPhone have everything to do with the upgrade dynamics, and the fact that you can't get a heavily subsidized iPad every 2 yrs. The iPad is still by far the best tablet on the planet (as well as the best selling), and that's all that should really matter.  

• Reply 36 of 60
    michael_c wrote: »

I don't know why AppleInsider includes articles referencing Strategy Analytics, IDC, or Gartner as all three companies' business model is something beyond "research".  All you have to do is check their client lists to know why they report their "findings" in the manner they do.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but would hope AI will resist quoting any of the three as their positions are pure marketing and is useless noise.

AI reports on the "reports" to let us know what's going on that we might be unaware of. If we can gain anything from such "reports" it is a sense of how many stupid people purchase crap, or are swayed to buy other crap because the seller is gonna add some more crap to the sale for free.

John Ruskin said this back in the 1800s: “There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey." It's as true today as ever...
  • Reply 37 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Glad you agree with me.

Tim Cook is too afraid to sack anyone.

True, it's not like he sacked Scott Forstall or anything, who was widely considered a successor to Steve Jobs within Apple, creator of iOS,  and only second to Ive in terms of prominence. That sacking was a massive fucking risk. But yeah, clearly Tim is terrified of sacking people. And let me guess, I'm sure you believe yourself to be the ideal candidate to replace whoever you want "sacked"?

I sometimes wonder if you're constantly in a competition with yourself to outdo the sheer stupidity of your previous posts, with every single post that you make. It's literally the only way I can rationalize anything you say. I must admit, your ability to accomplish this goal is impressive. After 6,000 posts, most people would find it impossible to constantly increase the stupid at a linear rate, but you make it look easy.

There isn't even a word in the dictionary to define someone who attacks the CEO who just led their company to the largest quarter in human history, for not firing enough people within the company. The sheer crassness, irony, and hate required to do that is in another universe entirely. 

Also love how you constantly make Cook out to be this scared, cowardly, incompetent weasel, when we have dozens anecdotes of his intensity, and the fact that he can terrify high level execs and make them term white in meetings, as well as the ability to tear people to shreds if warranted. Fact is, he could probably make you shit your diapers within a few seconds if you were in the same room as him. But hey, don't let that alter your fantasy characterizations, whatever makes you feel a bit better about yourself.  I'm sure it's tough. 

• Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

AI reports on the "reports" to let us know what's going on that we might be unaware of. If we can gain anything from such "reports" it is a sense of how many stupid people purchase crap, or are swayed to buy other crap because the seller is gonna add some more crap to the sale for free.

John Ruskin said this back in the 1800s: “There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey." It's as true today as ever...

Anything coming from Strategy Analytics, IDC, or Gartner is useless information, as it can't be relied upon.

One of the jobs of AI should be to filter out the chatter and noise and pass on credible information.

• Reply 39 of 60
    woochifer wrote: »
    I stopped reading once I saw Strategy Analytics as the source.

With these analysts, the "generic" tablets represent the catch all category where their margins of error get dumped. In other words, this is crap data.
    Every time a research's published, I hear this frase.
    Every. Single. Time.
    IDC? Crap. ABI Research? Megacrap. Strategy Analytics? Total garbage.
    Is there a reliable, independent, unbiased analytics company whose data we can consider correct?
    Seriously, this is getting tiresome.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    lilsmirk wrote: »
    Every time a research's published, I hear this frase.
    Every. Single. Time.
    IDC? Crap. ABI Research? Megacrap. Strategy Analytics? Total Garbage.
    Is there a reliable, independent, unbiased analytics company whose data we can consider correct?
    Seriously, this is becoming tiresome.

Why do we need a "research firm" to find out how many products a company ships?

And what exactly are they doing? Calling each company and asking them how many tablet they shipped? Or are they simply guessing?

The companies must know... so they could easily publish this data themselves. But they don't.

One company, Apple, provides numbers. Hooray.

The other 50-60 companies... a complete mystery. And I don't know why.