Apple to reportedly bolster iAd user targeting with phone numbers and emails

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    nobodyy wrote: »
    ascii wrote: »
    Isn't that a false alternative? The third option being, since Apple controls what is and is not allowed on the App Store, they could make the following change to the App Review Guidelines:

7. Advertising

7.1 Due to Apple's deeply held values of privacy, no app on the iOS or Mac App Store shall be ad-supported. Acceptable forms of revenue are (i) up-front payment and (ii) in-app purchase. Apps that contain advertisements will be rejected.

You can't be serious...

Why not, John McEnroe?

As a compromise, Apple could list all apps that use ad tracking like they do In-App Purchases. That way, you could easily avoid them.

I prefer solution 7.1 though, and so would Steve Jobs have done.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Why not, John McEnroe?

As a compromise, Apple could list all apps that use ad tracking like they do In-App Purchases. That way, you could easily avoid them.

Steve Jobs is dead, get over it. There's no way you'd know what he would have done.

And fortunately, there aren't people who can solely see such narrow POV at the reins. 

• Reply 43 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

You can't be serious...

Well, I think if you believe in putting customers first, ahead of developers, then it's not so unrealistic.

• Reply 44 of 49
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a hilarious email. So the CEO of the largest company in the world didn't respond to your personal email? And you cite this as an "example" of how Apple is going down the tubes? Are you that naive, that entitled, and that disconnected to actually EXPECT him to reply to you? Cook no doubt gets thousands of emails a day, if he responds, it's an extreme rarity, not a damn expectation. Are you 6 yrs old? And in all that verbiage, you still haven't shared what this magical feature was.

..and after being asked again, you still refuse to say. Amazing. Stop pretending it's some huge deal that you emailed Tim. It isn't, and he's not obligated to respond to you. If the feature is gone, it probably means only a very tiny percentage of people used or cared about it. Grow the hell up. Apple didn't get to where it is by "listening to the people!". It did so by doing what it believed was right, not not trying to please every single person and all their pet features. 

Absolutely not true. Apple removes features all the time that many people need. Remember "Save As..." (before they brought it back two years later)? How about Final Cut X, when they (without warning) removed dozens of features needed by professional video editors? They added most of those features back over time, but there were some MAJOR features taken out. Saying that if Apple removed a feature it must be because nobody used it is ludicrous, and fanboyism at its worst. 

There have been a lot of times that Apple has removed flexibility and choices - it seems they want to make sure novices don't get confused by too many options. It's really annoying sometimes, especially from a company that supposedly values individualism and creativity.

• Reply 45 of 49
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

The corporation makes enough money that they don't need to go fishing for more money. 

Steve did bring in iAd, but I seriously doubt that he would go as far to sell/share customer data. 

Anyway, hopefully, this does not happen. 

• Reply 46 of 49
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »
    The corporation makes enough money that they don't need to go fishing for more money. 

Steve did bring in iAd, but I seriously doubt that he would go as far to sell/share customer data. 

Anyway, hopefully, this does not happen. 

It's never enough money.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    realcoolrealcool Posts: 32member
    This is bad. It's one thing for you to have a free Facebook account or do a free Google search and they advertise to you, and it's another when you pay $1000 for your phone.
    I don't like this, and I think more of the same or worse is to come.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Why not, John McEnroe?

Oh do stop your repetitive bleating of obvious falsehoods.

• Reply 49 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    To all of the weenies who are upset by this, obviously any advertisers who want your information will only get it if you opt-in to receive something in exchange. For example, if you already use Facebook you provide a treasure trove of data to advertisers and who knows who else.