Rumor: Apple may soon update iPad mini with A8 CPU, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, stop fucking pretending that Apple is somehow incompetent.

Cursing? That's real mature.

• Reply 22 of 52
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

1. You have a good point (not this) in that they really shouldn’t have updated the mini at all until it could have new internals.

2. Rather than “should have been in the last upgrade cycle”, since there was next to nothing in that cycle, something like “shouldn’t have been an upgrade cycle” makes more sense.

• Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wood1208 View Post

Yes, I am still on iphone 4s. Last year I bought 4.7" quad core 1.5Ghz android LG optimus e970 that had 2GB RAM. Honestly, I could not switch over to android because of liking IOS much and iphone is still very reliable plus receives software updates. In a nut shell, I will wait for iphone 6S or iphone 7 when Apple offer atleast 2GB RAM/32GB storage. I don't change phones often so why buy 1GB phone when Apple will have to move to 2GB to answer Galaxy 6 and others offering 3GB RAM.

That explains a fair amount then. Until September I was with an iPhone 4, and 7.0 definitely showed some RAM limits on that. 7.1 cleared that up though, to where the main issue really was just the ancient A4 trying to keep up with the modern age.

I still think 1GB is fine for most, but the 6S will probably offer 2 (at least in the Plus model) so that could be something to wait for, since that's commonly used as a combo iPad/iPhone.

• Reply 24 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Only if it gets a higher-efficiency display, I think, either LTPS, or more likely. IGZO.

Doing so would also solve the gimped color gamut problem.

The mini's display has indeed been an embarrassment.

• Reply 25 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

The Air has IGZO already, and it looks like the Mini 2 forward does too. The iPhones use LTPS.

Mini 2 Retina was not IGZO, and that was why they had to modify the backlighting to use less power, and that is what gimped the color. This is what was reported by DisplayMate, but Raymond Soneira was unable to explain it clearly. Same with Mini 3. Soneira says Apple cheaped out or dropped the ball. I think he's full of it (and a Samsung OLED shill). The real story is likely that IGZO supply was still limited. They may now be just getting over the production humps.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Mini 2 Retina was not IGZO, and that was why they had to modify the backlighting to use less power, and that is what gimped the color. This is what was reported by DisplayMate, but Raymond Soneira was unable to explain it clearly. Same with Mini 3. Soneira says Apple cheaped out or dropped the ball. I think he's full of it (and a Samsung OLED shill). The real story is likely that IGZO supply was still limited. They may now be just getting over the production humps.

See, I've seen in some places it was IGZO, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of agreement on the matter.

• Reply 27 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

At this point they shouldn't bother until they can do an A8X or better.

Unless the $399 model is selling more poorly then they anticipated. You can't imagine it sells well, since its the lowest perceived value of the lineup.

• Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Hows that again? Compared to what?

• Reply 29 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Good for future Apple mini Ipad customers but not a bigger impact. What Apple needs to do is increase RAM size of iphone for faster response and smoother apps running/switching plus starting storage with 32GB. Now a days 16GB is pathetic. Apple-TV needs to be hardware/software upgraded to make it Home entertainment Home-hit hub for home gadgets control, streaming device, web browser, decent gaming console, apps to be stored and cable set-top box..

Now, another 32GB whiner...sigh! btw, 16GB version is still relevant over 50% of idevice. What the hell do you think it's pathetic? You need more than 16GB doesn't meant the rest of the world do too. My previous 5s, 16GB had over 100 apps, ~4GB picture/music and I still have 3GB left for other activities. Do you really think people actually use more than 100 apps, seriously? Clean up the device just like you clean up your house: get rid of unused stuffs. Tell me if anyone, yes anyone would pull out a picture on iPhone from 3 years ago to look. Device management 101: archive the damn old stuffs. Also, use iCloud storage.

• Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

You might not feel it now, but come iOS 10 you'll wish your iPhone had 2gb ram.

That's at least 2 years away and iPhone 6 should be about discontinued just like iPhone 4S now.

• Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What a shock...not. Anyone stupid enough to by the 3rd gen mini deserve what they got. Now Apple just needs to get rid of the A5 non-retina mini and lower the price of the 2nd gen mini.

I got second gen mini for $230, no brainer. Whoever got third gen mini...well...deserve it because of the love for Touch ID.

• Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

Apple will have to move to 2GB to answer Galaxy 6 and others offering 3GB RAM.

What? Apple didn't have to answer to RAM from android. Different OS, different process. Android use garbage collector for java cleanup which requires 2x amount of RAM to do the same job as iOS. Apple don't care if android use 10GB of RAM, they just need to make sure their devices give users the best experience even with 1GB of RAM. In fact, 90% iOS users don't even know what the fck inside of their idevice, not even CPU, GPU speed, WiFi category or RAM, but storage capaicity only.

• Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

On paper and in people's fcking mind only...since 164dpi number printed in their head.

• Reply 34 of 52
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

On paper and in people's fcking mind only...since 164dpi number printed in their head.

Mentioning just dpi shows you're ignorance. The color saturation, accuracy and reflectivity of the mini display are horrible.

• Reply 35 of 52
    Hello. I have read reviews that I can really get a Free Ipad from this site, FreeAppleProducts.com , but has anyone received one?
  • Reply 36 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

See, I've seen in some places it was IGZO, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of agreement on the matter.

I know, and that seems to be because Raymond Soneira was so confusing in his first stupid "shoot-out" report. He seems to have an editor now, last time I saw the site anyway.

If you read it carefully, and combine a couple of his other reports, it's a definite "no IGZO."

Anyway, logic tells us that the color gamut would match the Air's if it were IGZO.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:

That's at least 2 years away and iPhone 6 should be about discontinued just like iPhone 4S now.

If ipad air 2 has A8x with 2GB built-in RAM than it is no brainer to think if iphone 6S uses same processor as ipad air 2 than by default it comes with 2GB. Even with A9 processor and smaller 14nm chip manufacturing, there should be a no reason why next iphone won't have 2GB RAM !!!

• Reply 38 of 52
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    zroger73 wrote: »

Yeah, and it's actually fucking refreshing too!
    cpsro wrote: »

Says who? You? I own the Mini 2, and even with the reduced colour gamut, the display is beautiful, and the majority of people have no complaints. Yes, placed next to a Air 2, there is an immediate difference, but that doesn't make the Mini 2 or 3's display an embarrassment. Go troll somewhere else.
    pmz wrote: »

He's just trolling, ignore him.

cpsro wrote: »

Mentioning just dpi shows you're ignorance. The color saturation, accuracy and reflectivity of the mini display are horrible.
    Uh, no they're not. Again, quit trolling.

No, the displays are not best-in-class, but they're certainly still fantastic screens, and I'm immensely happy with my Mini 2. Would I have wanted the Air 2's screen in my Mini? Of course! But is the Mini 2 and 3 sufficient to do what I need it to do? Of course it is!
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The color saturation, accuracy and reflectivity of the mini display are horrible.

According to who? Compared to what?

• Reply 40 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:

No my friend, that 16GB number is printed wrong on iphone 4s and jumped out begging more storage when my family's 3 iphone 4s crashed updating from IOS 7 to 8. And so many had similar problem making them resore.