Rumor: Apple may soon update iPad mini with A8 CPU, 802.11ac Wi-Fi

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

What? Apple didn't have to answer to RAM from android. Different OS, different process. Android use garbage collector for java cleanup which requires 2x amount of RAM to do the same job as iOS. Apple don't care if android use 10GB of RAM, they just need to make sure their devices give users the best experience even with 1GB of RAM. In fact, 90% iOS users don't even know what the fck inside of their idevice, not even CPU, GPU speed, WiFi category or RAM, but storage capaicity only.

I get it and my whole family use iphone so no need to educate me. I don't have problem with 1GB or less long as user experience is fluid, smooth,fast response etc but when iphone 4s 500MG starts showing issues of user experience with ios 8 than one start wondering if little extra memory would have been. There are iphone users who hang on to their devices bit longer.

• Reply 42 of 52
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I know, and that seems to be because Raymond Soneira was so confusing in his first stupid "shoot-out" report. He seems to have an editor now, last time I saw the site anyway.

If you read it carefully, and combine a couple of his other reports, it's a definite "no IGZO."

Anyway, logic tells us that the color gamut would match the Air's if it were IGZO.

Except that IGZO deals with electrical efficiency not color gamut.

• Reply 43 of 52
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

You can say I'm wrong all day long, but my feeling:

The iPads (we have bought 2) have been a total gouge of customers. The fact that to go from 16 to 32 GB costs 33% more than the cost of the base model is crazy. Then add the 4G.

We bought an iPad 1 refurbished that I used for school. It was used out of "need" more or less. We picked up an iPad mini 1 for $199. That was the magic price point on an iPad that doesn't have a good displace and is non-retina and a lousy camera (forget low light photos completely) and only 16 GB (which is fine).

But to pay around $500 for a good ipad with reasonable storage and no 4G is way too much.

Right or wrong, a lot of people won't, by principle, buy an iPad.

Which is fine by the corporation. 

• Reply 44 of 52
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Mentioning just dpi shows you're ignorance. The color saturation, accuracy and reflectivity of the mini display are horrible.

You eyeballed it or used any calibration tool to back your claim. Otherwise, I'll call you TROLL.

• Reply 45 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    staticx57 wrote: »
    Except that IGZO deals with electrical efficiency not color gamut.

Because of lower backplane efficiency, the mini retina had to use lower color temperature backlighting in order to preserve battery life, thus causing reduced color gamut. Look it up. I think it might have been explained at DisplayMate.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    I predict both the iPad Pro and iPad Mini 4 will be announced. And maybe even an Apple TV refresh (that later is just my wishful thinking and is not part of my prediction, but counts as extra credit if that comes true too).

I predict this because of the fact that there has been more leaks than usual regarding those two products. Previous product announcements have been preceded by increased leaks of rumored products.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    Concerning this augument about the Mini's display. Up until the iPhone 6 Plus was released, the Mini 2 had the highest DPI. For people extremely near sighted like myself, that extra pixel density makes a big difference! Now with the iPhone 6 Plus having that beat, it frustrates me that the iPad Mini 2 and 3 still has the iPad Air 1 and 2 beat in pixel density (I can literally see the pixels on the Air 1 and 2). It frustrates me that my iPhone 6 Plus has an amazing display, while my iPad Air 2 still has last generation's specs. It frustrates me that iPhone 6 Plus keeps crashing when I'm on Safari because it lacks the 2GB RAM version of the A8 because it runs out of memory when I'm in certain websites. Or when multitasking has to restart apps like Google Earth after switching from Safari because there's not enough memory to switch back and forth quickly between apps (this doesn't happen when I'm using my iPad Air 2). I would like to have both technology advancements in one product...
  • Reply 48 of 52
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    A9 and 3GB RAM and 441 ppi screen resolution screen.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 809member
    I am near sighted too and can read extermely small text in the eye test chart close up like in the 60s range.

I can tell slight improvements in resolution above 326 ppi with ease.

So for people like myself, 441 ppi and 550 ppi, I notice the difference!
  • Reply 50 of 52
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Because of lower backplane efficiency, the mini retina had to use lower color temperature backlighting in order to preserve battery life, thus causing reduced color gamut. Look it up. I think it might have been explained at DisplayMate.

What do you mean lower temperature? Displays are usually described in color temperature by their brightest white. The older Apple LED backlit notebooks had a higher than ideal color temperature or rather higher than was typical for other mediums with the exception of some televisions. It may still have a smaller gamut, but that isn't precisely a function of color temperature.

• Reply 51 of 52
    undefined
  • Reply 52 of 52
    artdekoartdeko Posts: 1member

The only way I'll even CONSIDER buying an iPad mini 4 is if it has all the internal changes promised AND it is also thinner! And maybe not even then.