Apple slashes Apple TV set-top box price to $69

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2015
With over 25 million Apple TV units sold to date, Apple on Monday announced a price cut for its diminutive streaming set-top box, which is now available for $69.




Down from its previous price of $99, the $30 price cut applies to the same legacy hardware that Apple has continued to offer for years. In that time, Apple has gradually added new content options to the device.

Coming soon to Apple TV is HBO Now, a subscription plan for the premium network that will allow viewers to "cut the cord" and access HBO without a cable subscription. It was announced on Monday that HBO Now will debut in April exclusively on Apple devices, in time for the Game of Thrones season five premiere on April 12.

This includes not just the Apple TV but iOS devices by way of an upcoming app.

The Apple TV has changed price considerably over the years. The first-generation model, released in 2007 with a built-in hard drive, started at $299. It dropped to $229 in 2008, and hit the $99 mark with the debut of the second-generation model in 2010.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 39

    Really disappointed that they lead off with the AppleTV, but didn't update the hardware at all.  What a tease.

     

    The price cut is nice, but I'm still not sure if I will bother picking up any more until there is a hardware update.

  • Reply 2 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member



    yeah I'm not really getting the idea with the ATV plans. id really have expected apps/extensions by now.

  • Reply 3 of 39
    Yup disappointed x2. TV is a mess and the cable companies will never fix it until they are forced to. Guess I will just keep using my hockey puck to rent movies.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    1 on the disappointment. Was really hoping to hear something about an App Store, 4K, or other new features.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by gadgetfreak-apple View Post



    1 on the disappointment. Was really hoping to hear something about an App Store, 4K, or other new features.

    what a bunch of complainers!

  • Reply 6 of 39

    I am not suprised about not getting a 4K version.  That tech is still too early in it's development.  HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 chips are just now becoming available for TVs/AV receivers and Apple would probably have a hard time getting enough of them, and without them you can't really do much with 4K because the studios won't allow it.

     

    I was expecting a new version with faster processor, and an app store.  Then either more internal storage, or the ability to attach your own USB3 drive to download movies/music/games to.

  • Reply 7 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

     

    I was expecting a new version with faster processor, and an app store.  Then either more internal storage, or the ability to attach your own USB3 drive to download movies/music/games to.


     

    external storage is not coming to apple tv. that ship has sailed...

  • Reply 8 of 39
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

    I guess Apple must be planning on increasing its revenue from content services to reduce the price.  Not sure the price reduction will greatly increase the sales.

  • Reply 9 of 39
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

     

    I guess Apple must be planning on increasing its revenue from content services to reduce the price.  Not sure the price reduction will greatly increase the sales.


     

    Sure it will. The HBO package is going to be a big selling point for cable cutters. And it will clear out inventory more quickly when Apple decides to update the update the hardware, perhaps later this year.

  • Reply 10 of 39
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,220member
    +1 on the ATV disappointment.
    A complete UI redesign is overdue. 4K would've been nice since YouTube and Netflix already carry the format, I don't see why iTunes is taking so long.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    Nice. HBO finally available without a cable/satellite subscription! Finally a channel I don't have to hide any longer.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    sierrajeffsierrajeff Posts: 366member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

     

    Really disappointed that they lead off with the AppleTV, but didn't update the hardware at all.  What a tease.

     

    The price cut is nice, but I'm still not sure if I will bother picking up any more until there is a hardware update.


    Agreed - ours is now a few years old and starting to be balky (have to restart it once every 3 days or so), but I have no interest in simply purchasing a new cheaper version of the same old product - I'd rather they kept the price point at $99 and updated the hardware.

  • Reply 13 of 39
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

    As crazy as it is to ask I have to ask, is the HBO feature coming to AppleTV 2 and 3, or is there some lame excuse why AppleTV 2's can't receive the update?

  • Reply 14 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post



    +1 on the ATV disappointment.

    A complete UI redesign is overdue. 4K would've been nice since YouTube and Netflix already carry the format, I don't see why iTunes is taking so long.



    i barely just upgraded to 1080p, and I'm a technophile. i don't own a 3D anything. apple knows its base....

  • Reply 15 of 39
    [QUOTE]ours is now a few years old and starting to be balky (have to restart it once every 3 days or so), [/QUOTE]

    Clean out any vents, and restore from the menu option. Then software update. I bet that cures the bugs.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    ekt01ekt01 Posts: 1member
    Hmmm... Apple's site says "starting at $69". Maybe something else coming down the pipe.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 561member
    I think the Apple TV $69 price reduction is a clear sign that a hardware upgrade is coming.
  • Reply 18 of 39

    You're not going to see a "new" AppleTV, until they have something significantly different to offer, which includes improved content deals.  Until then the current model will continue to get minor revisions, speed bumps, and reductions in price.  I'm not surprised by the price cut, as the competition went from being significantly cheaper to just slightly cheaper.  Maybe HBO is the first step in getting some different "thinking" on how to offer content on the AppleTV, which will lead to a more significant upgrade down the road.

  • Reply 19 of 39
    geekmee wrote: »
    I think the Apple TV $69 price reduction is a clear sign that a hardware upgrade is coming.

    WWDC announcement of SDK is only around the corner. Everything in its own time.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ekt01 View Post



    Hmmm... Apple's site says "starting at $69". Maybe something else coming down the pipe.



    My thoughts exactly. I bet at WWDC we will see an ?TV update with an SDK and possibly a 4K model.

Sign In or Register to comment.