Apple Watch bands priced from $49 for sport to $449 for link bracelet, chargers cost $29/$39

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    lundkeman wrote: »
    Actually, from what I just read on the Apple Store App for charger pricing says nothing about watch size for $10.00 price difference. The site says the more expensive one has a 2M cord versus a 1M cord.

I was responding to his post, which said that the "larger charger" is $10 more. Perhaps there are several variations.

Did you read the article here before posting? It says, on the last line, that pricing for the 38mm charger is $29, and the price for the 42mm one is $39.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    siretmansiretman Posts: 120member
    eightzero wrote: »
    A $10 upcharge for the larger charger is disappointing.
    Worrying about $10? You are not an Apple customer. Apple makes premium products and charges premium prices.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    melgross wrote: »

There's a steel pin in all of the bands, including the ones specifically for the aluminum case, which Apple says is harder and stronger than regular anodized aluminum.

But that pin in the elastic band won't be touching the aluminum. And it doesn't matter if it's harder and stronger than standard anodized aluminum. It's got nothing on cold forged 316L.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,132member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Um, it's $10. If you can spend at least $399 for a watch, and need another charger, $10 shouldn't be an issue. Why it's more, I don't know, but likely there's a bigger battery in the 42mm model, so the charger puts out more power. Is it worth an additional $10? I don't know, but it's not really a big deal.

You can be sure the strap mechanism is patented on both the watch and the strap side.

Well...it's a Big Deal(tm) to me. And I will assume you mean $10 isn't a Big Deal(tm) to you. It is A Big Deal(tm) to me because it feels like Apple is charging(!) $10 because they can, not because of value or cost. Oh, I suppose maybe the mechanisms are different, but Jony was so big about the meticulousness of the product, they missed having a standardized size for the charger plug (that is, admittedly, a really nice design and feature)?

I am reasonably sure it is patented. I asked if we had proof of this.

• Reply 25 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by siretman View Post

Worrying about $10? You are not an Apple customer. Apple makes premium products and charges premium prices.

What is premium about needing a bigger charger plug?

• Reply 26 of 111
    But that pin in the elastic band won't be touching the aluminum. And it doesn't matter if it's harder and stronger than standard anodized aluminum. It's got nothing on cold forged 316L.

What do you think the lock on the watch contacts? Do you think it's the silicone rubber, or the leather? I'm pretty sure that there's a cut away portion of the pin in the center that aligns, and locks into a pin that resides in the watch mechanism. When you press that small button under the band edge, the pin in the watch recedes, and you can slide the band out. That pin is likely stainless steel. You don't really think that Apple would rely on rubber and leather to hold the band in place do you? The leather bands have steel, or gold parts that slide into the watch. Apple said that all the pins were SS.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm only interested in the Sport model.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    Wow, Apple is taking the piss with these crazy expensive watch straps.

No-one with any sense is going to buy one.
  • Reply 29 of 111
    eightzero wrote: »
    Well...it's a Big Deal(tm) to me. And I will assume you mean $10 isn't a Big Deal(tm) to you. It is A Big Deal(tm) to me because it feels like Apple is charging(!) $10 because they can, not because of value or cost. Oh, I suppose maybe the mechanisms are different, but Jony was so big about the meticulousness of the product, they missed having a standardized size for the charger plug (that is, admittedly, a really nice design and feature)?

I am reasonably sure it is patented. I asked if we had proof of this.

Is it a big deal to you because it's annoying? It certainly can't be the actual $10 if you're going to spend at least $400 for a watch, plus, most likely, taxes on the sale. It just seems to me that a company has a choice to make. Average out the pricing, which some companies do, with the lower priced product priced higher, and the higher priced one priced lower. Then there won't be those people who carp at the higher pricing on one. Other companies price the individual products separately. If it costs more to make, they charge more.

And ALL companies expect to make a higher profit on accessories. This is for all of you guys here who are bothered by this. The first Thunderbolt cable from Apple was thought to be too expensive, and a typical Apple pricing situation, until Intel came out with theirs, which was priced $10 more than Apple's. Then Belkin came out with one that was also $10 more than Apple's.

So I'm not bothered by this.

I haven't seen anything on patents yet.
  • Reply 30 of 111

You also know nothing about high quality watches and bands.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    booboobooboo Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was responding to his post, which said that the "larger charger" is $10 more. Perhaps there are several variations.

Did you read the article here before posting? It says, on the last line, that pricing for the 38mm charger is $29, and the price for the 42mm one is $39.

I think the article is wrong. The $39 charger is 2m long, while the $29 charger is 1m long. It says nothing in the product description for these chargers that indicates that they only work with either the 38mm or 42mm watch.

• Reply 32 of 111
    My guess is that China's favourite watch/strap combination will be white and gold and Dr. Dre's will be black and blue. ;)
  • Reply 33 of 111
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

What is premium about needing a bigger charger plug?

It's not bigger, it's LONGER.. as in 1 or 2m in length.. 

They take the same sized charger...

• Reply 34 of 111
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    adrayven wrote: »

It's not bigger, it's LONGER.. as in 1 or 2m in length.. 

They take the same sized charger...

Then this article is wrong
  • Reply 35 of 111

Now u r catching on! I am suggesting that the article poster incorrectly interpreted the price difference. I based my comment on what I actually read from official Apple Store app (which is subject to change), states cord length, not watch size. It is my opinion that just because the watch faces are less than 4mm in size difference, that actually the rear sensor package and thus charging connector are the same size on all models.
  • Reply 36 of 111
    What do you think the lock on the watch contacts? Do you think it's the silicone rubber, or the leather? I'm pretty sure that there's a cut away portion of the pin in the center that aligns, and locks into a pin that resides in the watch mechanism. When you press that small button under the band edge, the pin in the watch recedes, and you can slide the band out. That pin is likely stainless steel. You don't really think that Apple would rely on rubber and leather to hold the band in place do you? The leather bands have steel, or gold parts that slide into the watch. Apple said that all the pins were SS.

Completely forgot about the locks that hold the bands in place. Then yes, those are most likely some variation of stainless like 304 or something.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Are you high? 

I'm seriously leaning towards buying a Apple Watch Sport , and then getting a Milanese Loop along with it.  I can use the Sport band when I'm playing golf and then the Loop otherwise.  $500 for the combo seems pretty damned reasonable to me, frankly.

• Reply 38 of 111
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    Some of these comments point up why Apple wasn't more daring in its design. Because of the big sales numbers the watch must generate the design had to be more inoffensive than bold. So,e of these people have no clue about materials, cost of design or what they sell in Bergdorf Goodman. The brought Angela in from Burberry for a reason. I, for one, am sort of surprised at the reasonable price of the stainless version. I have. Cartier stainless Tank Americain, had the stainless Pasha both costing over $3,000 albeit with a stainless bracelet. I expected $1,000 on a leather strap. I just want the Milanese loop to work on the black sport watch. That will be wicked.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    No need to respond to a nit wit. Better nit wits don't buy the watch.
  • Reply 40 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

$10.

really?  This is a new low.  

Yes, really. $10 is important to me.