Apple Watch bands priced from $49 for sport to $449 for link bracelet, chargers cost $29/$39

Comments

• Reply 81 of 111
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Yes, really. $10 is important to me.

LOL, I hope you don't buy bottled water, soft drinks or movie theatre popcorn.

• Reply 82 of 111
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

Completely forgot about the locks that hold the bands in place. Then yes, those are most likely some variation of stainless like 304 or something.

The Steel watch I believe is 316 I think, so probably the same for the pins (316 is more corrosion resistant in slightly aggressive environments, used in marine environment).

• Reply 83 of 111
    sog35 wrote: »
    You have no idea about the luxury watch market.

A rolex leather band cost $500.
    A rolex steel band cost $1500.

These prices are not ridiculous.  These are absolute top of the line bands.  We are talking about super high quality italian leather that apple is selling here.

You probably just need to stick to sport + rubber band.  
    This is not a Rolex watch and it's insane to compare the two. These prices are ridiculous. I think the possibilities and design are very good but the prices feel like Apple is trying to offset the eventual slow down in iPhone sales.
  • Reply 84 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Is it a big deal to you because it's annoying? It certainly can't be the actual $10 if you're going to spend at least $400 for a watch, plus, most likely, taxes on the sale. It just seems to me that a company has a choice to make. Average out the pricing, which some companies do, with the lower priced product priced higher, and the higher priced one priced lower. Then there won't be those people who carp at the higher pricing on one. Other companies price the individual products separately. If it costs more to make, they charge more.

And ALL companies expect to make a higher profit on accessories. This is for all of you guys here who are bothered by this. The first Thunderbolt cable from Apple was thought to be too expensive, and a typical Apple pricing situation, until Intel came out with theirs, which was priced $10 more than Apple's. Then Belkin came out with one that was also $10 more than Apple's.

So I'm not bothered by this.

I haven't seen anything on patents yet.

Here's the thing for me: For the first time ever, I'm thinking Jony f*cuked up. The whole Apple Watch story has been about how meticulous they've been. All the metallurgy videos, because...well...metal. I even dug the videos showing the Mac Pro assembly last year. Very cool.

But...Jony could have at least given a nod to the idea of standardizing parts. There is *no reason* why the 42mm version has to have the same back/sensor/charging array as the 38mm version. It even keeps manufacturing costs down. Jony then gets to point this out in the videos (because heaven forbid we see him on stage with Angie talking about the stores) and say "we know how many people will want these for themselves and their families. It keeps them all connected. So the chargers are all interchangeable." Bingo. A nod to the company understanding this stuff costs money, and we need to see value. 

You're the worlds most valuable company. You have the power beyond many nations on earth. I'm digging it, and I'm in. But please, please, for the love of Jezuz H. Jobs, please act like you care, at lest a little bit, about the quid we are going to part with to enjoy the "world best products." They are the best because of the value they represent.

I'm not a hater. I'm not. It just feels...empty right now. I'm a big Tim fan. Really am. Will continue to be. But right now I feel like I did when the Seahawks decided to pass for 2 yards with the best RB in football available. 

• Reply 85 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

LOL, I hope you don't buy bottled water, soft drinks or movie theatre popcorn.

What is this "movie theater" you speak of?

• Reply 86 of 111
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

LOL.

This must be the first Apple product you've considered buying if that concept seems alien to you...

:-)

Please...

• Reply 87 of 111
    eightzero wrote: »
    melgross wrote: »
    Um, it's $10. If you can spend at least $399 for a watch, and need another charger, $10 shouldn't be an issue. Why it's more, I don't know, but likely there's a bigger battery in the 42mm model, so the charger puts out more power. Is it worth an additional $10? I don't know, but it's not really a big deal.

You can be sure the strap mechanism is patented on both the watch and the strap side.
    Well...it's a Big Deal(tm) to me. And I will assume you mean $10 isn't a Big Deal(tm) to you. It is A Big Deal(tm) to me because it feels like Apple is charging(!) $10 because they can, not because of value or cost. Oh, I suppose maybe the mechanisms are different, but Jony was so big about the meticulousness of the product, they missed having a standardized size for the charger plug (that is, admittedly, a really nice design and feature)?

The charger is designed to fit the physical size of the watch... for all you and I know the charger may also be designed to match the charging needs of the different sizes of battery. Now that's what being meticulous is all about.
  • Reply 88 of 111
    eightzero wrote: »

I used to have a pile of boxes like that starting with 128K Mac box... The ?Watch Gold Edition seemed expensive until I realized what I paid for some of the Macs I've bought, like the Mac IIx.... Mac desktops and laptops, as well as all the iDevices are so inexpensive these days that a return four-five digit numbers for the ?Watch feels foreign.

I wonder how many Gold Edition ?Watches Apple will sell to make as much money as Sam Scum has made on all the Galaxy Gear they've managed to peddle..?
  • Reply 89 of 111
    mac_128 wrote: »
    I really dislike changing bands. I have to have a very small jewelers screwdriver or similar device to do it. And then it sometimes slips a few times. I do have a special tool for it in my shop, but it's not always convenient to get it. This doesn't need a tool. Vastly better! No scratching the case. And the mechanism won't damage the holes for the pins in a gold case. All of mine are somewhat enlarged and distorted.

The band attachment design is very nice. But it's not a new invention. It looks like there's a push button release on the underside to allow the bands to slip off, but I do wonder how often you can switch the bands before the mechanism gets loose.

Changing bands doesn't require any tools; you're wife can do it without your help. The mechanism may loosen up slightly over time, but that will be a problem for your great-grand-children to deal with.
  • Reply 90 of 111
    mac_128 wrote: »
    BY THE WAY --

Where is the data upload cable that so many said was necessary to get the software into the watches, after the diagnostic ports were discovered? 

Is Apple waiting to release that on launch day to keep us all guessing?

No ports.

Every app you buy for the ?Watch is sent over to it from the iPhone. Even the alerts and data comes from the iPhone wirelessly... It's magical.
  • Reply 91 of 111
    oskio wrote: »
    Comparing an Apple watch to a Rolex or similar... I have read bad comparisons but this might be the worst, period.  When you buy a Rolex you pass it down to your children, and grandchildren.  When you buy an Apple Watch you are tossing your money away for a device that will be useless in 5 years.  It is not a 'high quality' timepiece in the same way a classic watch is high quality.  How much does a charge cable cost for a Rolex?  How about those Rolex firmware revisions?  They don't exist for a reason.  High end watches are hand crafted timepieces...Apple watches are amazing mass produced gadgets, which also tell time.  

You buy a Rolex because you have a lot of disposable money and want something you can pass along to your children.  You buy an Apple watch because you have a lot of disposable money and you want something that is cool and fun in our current lifestyle.

Please stop comparing the two.  

Thanks to my father I have a Rolex.  If my wife doesn't watch the checking account too closely soon I will have an Apple watch....;)

I have some pretty expensive watches, but next year, for sure, and maybe even this year, I will buy an Apple Watch. Why? Because it does what my other watches don't. We can see that other very expensive watch makers are now coming out with, yes, expensive smartwatches. If one can afford several five figure watches, they can easily afford one of these, and some will buy them. Quite frankly, a $350 watch isn't expensive. It isn't cheap either, but Apple isn't interested in that market. They never are.

I think there's a disconnect with some people as to what a watch really is. It's whatever people want it to be. So for people who buy a new phone at a subsidized price of $200 to $400 every two years could very easily want to spend $350 to $1,000 every four to six years, let's say. I see no problem here. I fail to see the problem.

Us old-timers used to drop a lot more every four to six years just to upgrade their Macs. Anyone who says they couldn't afford something will admit that if their TV went up in smoke tonight, they would find a way to replace it within ten days with one even better...
  • Reply 92 of 111
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member

Apple Watch bands will cost between $49 and $449...

Instead of sensationalizing this, let's analyze this more closely...

Functionally underneath, the Apple Watch Sport, the Apple Watch (Polished Steel), and the Apple Watch (Gold) Edition is the same regardless of price.

What distinguishes the Apple Watch Sport from the Apple Watch and the Apple Watch Edition, is the differences in materials in both the display and the case.

Which is the reason for the differences in price between the Apple Watch Sport and the Apple Watch.

The Apple Watch Sport has an Ion-X glass display, and the Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition both have the Sapphire Crystal display.

Sapphire Crystal is obviously more costly to produce than glass.

Especially if that Sapphire Crystal display can register both touch and pressure.

The Apple Watch Sport's case is Aluminium.

The Apple Watch's case is polished mirror-finished Stainless Steel.

The Apple Watch Edition's case is 18K Gold.

18K Gold is more expensive than Stainless Steel.

Stainless Steel is more expensive than Aluminium.

Stainless Steel + Sapphire Crystal = A $200 Premium over Aluminium and Glass.

A 42mm Apple Watch screen is $50 more than the 38mm Apple Watch screen.

The Aluminium/Glass Apple Watch Sport is $349 (38mm) / $399 (42mm).

The Stainless Steel/Sapphire Crystal Apple Watch is $549 (38mm) / $599 (42mm).

The 18K Gold Apple Watch Edition is Ridiculous ( ?° ?? ?°).

Obviously, the 18K Gold Apple Watch are for those who are wealthy enough to purchase gold watches; who purchase expensive luxury items such as Bentley's and Rolls Royce's. 

To the wealthy millionaire upper class, an 18K Gold Apple Watch Edition compliments their expensive tastes. If they are willing to pay $1.5 million cash for a luxury motor coach, a $10,000 18K Gold Apple Watch is like $20 to them. 

An 18K Gold Apple Watch is more of a statement of one's wealth that they wear on their wrist; that is not only a prestigious symbol of status, but a functional one as well. 

You have to remember, that such individuals are also in Apple's market, regardless of what the average Joe thinks.

Apple has chosen to produce a luxury item that is aligned with their tastes; and it will sell very well amongst the celebrity crowd.

Now having said that, Apple has made the Apple Watch to cater to all price points, and made sure that all Apple Watch accessories are Apple exclusive.

Which is where the profits are.

On the face of this article, it would seem that Apple is just charging for the bands separately; to a degree it is (if you want to buy an extra one). 

But if you look closer at the web page of each Apple Watch option, you will see an arrow to the right of the watch picture, that allows you to horizontally scroll through all of the Apple Watches in each category, that shows the Apple Watch with each Apple Watch band, and its price.

Apple Watch Sport

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch-sport

Apple Watch

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch

Apple Watch Edition

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition

The Apple Watch Sport is the greatest value, because it comes in a Silver or Black Aluminium Case with a glass display, with the least expensive sport band in all of the colors, and is priced no higher than $399.

The Apple Watch is $200 more than the Apple Watch Sport because of the polished Stainless Steel Case and the Sapphire Crystal Display - which with the least expensive watch band in Black or White, is priced no higher than $599.

It is when you option out the Apple Watch with the Apple Watch Bands, that the price goes up. 

Apple Watch Accessories

http://store.apple.com/us/watch/watch-accessories

• $49 - Sport Band (38mm/42mm)

• $149 - Leather Loop (38mm/42mm)

• $149 - Milanese Loop (38mm/42mm)

• $149 - Classic Buckle (38mm/42mm)

• $249 - Modern Buckle (38mm only)

• $449 - Stainless Steel Link Bracelet (38mm/42mm) 

NOTE: THERE IS A SPACE BLACK STEEL LINK BRACELET, BUT IT IS NOT SOLD AS A SEPARATE OPTION, BUT ONLY COMES WITH THE SPACE BLACK STEEL APPLE WATCH.

When you buy the band with the Apple Watch, the price is actually cheaper than buying the Apple Watch and the band separately.

• The Apple Watch w/Sport Band - $549 (38mm) / $599 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch w/Leather Loop - $649 (38mm) / $699 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch w/Milanese Loop - $649 (38mm) / $699 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch w/Classic Buckle - $649 (38mm) / $699 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch w/Modern Buckle - $749 (38mm only)

• The Apple Watch w/Stainless Steel Link Bracelet - $949 (38mm) / $999 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch Space Black Steel w/Space Black Steel Link Bracelet - $1,049 (38mm) / $1,099 (42mm)

Where you get the most bang for your buck is pairing the Apple Watch Band accessory with the Apple Watch Sport.

• The Apple Watch Sport w/Sport Band - $349 (38mm) / $399 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch Sport w/Leather Loop - $498 (38mm) / $548 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch Sport w/Milanese Loop - $498 (38mm) / $548 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch Sport w/Classic Buckle - $498 (38mm) / $548 (42mm)

• The Apple Watch Sport w/Modern Buckle - $598 (38mm only)

• The Apple Watch Sport w/Stainless Steel Link Bracelet - $798 (38mm) / $848 (42mm)

In my opinion, the Apple Watch Bands actually look better with Apple Watch Sport's matte Aluminium case.

And last but most definitely not the least priced, the 18K Gold/Sapphire Crystal Apple Watch Edition. 

• The 18K Rose/Yellow Gold Apple Watch Edition w/ White or Black Sport Band - $10,000 (38mm) / $12,000 (42mm)

• The 18K Yellow Gold Apple Watch Edition w/Black or Blue Classic Buckle - $15,000 (42mm only)

• The 18K Rose Gold Apple Watch Edition w/Rose Gray Modern Buckle - $17,000 (38mm only)

• The 18K Yellow Gold Apple Watch Edition w/Bright Red Modern Buckle - $17,000 (38mm only)

• Reply 93 of 111
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    The space black ?Watch with space black link bracelet is like the watch Darth Vader would wear. Would probably help him out with all the wheezing too.
  • Reply 94 of 111
    I have read that the Milanese Loop might not be compatible with the sport model? That would be my choice. Hate plastic bands on my wrist, as they make you sweat.
  • Reply 95 of 111
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorrazz View Post

I have read that the Milanese Loop might not be compatible with the sport model? That would be my choice. Hate plastic bands on my wrist, as they make you sweat.

Everything I've seen has indicated that all the bands fit all the models (some of them aren't individually for sale, though).  

• Reply 96 of 111

The Apple Store seems to indicate spare chargers $29 for a 1m; $39 for a 2m. I think another commenter pointed this out - the price difference is not for 38mm vs. 42mm.

That's less disappointing.

• Reply 97 of 111

Adario Strange  from  Massable states

"Although Apple didn't explicitly state that the bands for the Apple Watch Sport aren't switchable with the bands for the higher-end models, Cook's wording during the event, and the subsequent press release details, indicate that this is case."

That is why I was inquiring to know otherwise.
  • Reply 98 of 111
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    $500 for the link bracelet might be okay.
    $150 for a Leather? mediocre
    $49 for a plastic band? Crap, you can buy a Casio with comparable band for that price.

The good news for cheapskates is that 3rd party bands will be coming soon.
    I want the link bracelet. Bit expensive, but nice. However, it's too nice to wear when doing heavy work (I tend to destroy watches; no Edition or Sport for me; I need the toughest unit they build). When 3rd party straps are available for $19, I'll get one of those for work.
  • Reply 99 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

$49 for a plastic band? Crap, you can buy a Casio with comparable band for that price.

I want the link bracelet. Bit expensive, but nice. However, it's too nice to wear when doing heavy work (I tend to destroy watches; no Edition or Sport for me; I need the toughest unit they build). When 3rd party straps are available for $19, I'll get one of those for work.

It's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. "Too expensive" for you might be meaningless to another person.

• Reply 100 of 111
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

This is not cheap leather.  This is high-quality.  The little product info for the Midnight Blue, for example:

Quote:

A small French tannery established in 1803 produces the supple Granada leather for this elegant band. The smooth top-grain leather is lightly milled and tumbled to maintain its refined texture. What looks like a solid buckle is actually a two-piece magnetic closure that’s delightfully simple to secure. We also added an inner layer of Vectran weave for strength and stretch resistance. It’s the same material NASA used to make the landing airbags for the Mars Rover spacecraft. This band is available in soft pink, brown, midnight blue, and black.

And if you want a Casio, get one.  I am not sure what it's going to be able to accomplish, though.  Not to mention that I'm pretty sure that the fluoroelastomer bands that Apple is using is vastly superior to anything you'd get with a cheap POS watch.

It will be interesting to see how 3rd party sellers are able to get past patents.  I don't think they are going to be as accessible as you think they will be.