Apple's all-new MacBook draws taunts from Asus, Dell, Lenovo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What I am sure they know but would hate to acknowledge is that as with cars these days, purchases are generally not made on the basis of specs. .... ...... ... The one technical thing I think 'most' people are concerned with is storage. Some people may also be concerned with the lack of ports but that is a temporary problem. Oh, and perhaps price until it inevitably drops.

The lack of storage and ports are two things I first thought of. I understand that Apple is pushing everyone to the cloud, but there are still people, like myself, that wish to stay grounded to a certain degree. I love all of the convenience the cloud offers, and I use it, but I do want my stuff with me on my computer too. I have a lot of music and a lot of photos. I want those on my computer (and backed up of course). Now with a laptop that has one port to satisfy power, storage and other devices, will it be a mess of adapters and hubs that I need to carry with me? I don't want to remove my external hard drive (that is needed because the internal is too small) so I can plug in the power cord. 

That being said, Apple has always been at the forefront of pushing us into new directions. There will always be people complaining as they are pushed off the ledge. And Apple has almost always bee correct in their assessment of the direction of technology, well, because they are usually the ones creating it.

• Reply 22 of 149
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    But they all still run windows..... enough said.

Okay could not help myself, it looks like they trying to go back the 90's with marketing specs and check list buying. I guess they have not realize consumers are not buy that want anymore.
  • Reply 23 of 149
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    I consider the new MacBook to be revolutionary rather than evolutionary. Or at least someplace in between.

The size of the logic board is insane. Compare that to an older MacBook.

Apple went nuts here with innovation. Although Dell has come out with a nice machine, now they realize they need to step up their game.
  • Reply 24 of 149
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Lenovo, 'featuritis' is so ten years ago. User experience is why Apple's notebooks have reigned supreme over the last decade.
  • Reply 25 of 149
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    paxman wrote: »
    What I am sure they know but would hate to acknowledge is that as with cars these days, purchases are generally not made on the basis of specs. People will flood into the Apple Stores, take a look at the new MB, touch it, use it, love it and buy it. Never mind that the MBA is cheaper, faster and plenty good enough for most. The one technical thing I think 'most' people are concerned with is storage. Some people may also be concerned with the lack of ports but that is a temporary problem. Oh, and perhaps price until it inevitably drops.

The price of the base model for €1,499 is just a bit too steep for me. I would have also loved to have seen a second USB-C charge port on the other side as well. Even for charging alone it would have been very useful. I cannot wait to see a 14" version of this computer with 2x USB-C ports.

And I think for the next MBP revision Apple should move to 14" and 16" displays.
  • Reply 26 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BoC View Post

When you can't cite your own success, try to tear down your competitor.  Worked real well over the last decade, right?

Apple did this with their "I'm a mac, I'm a PC" commercials. They haven't bashed on their competitors in commercials for quite a few years now, though.

That said, the new macbook is perfect for the non-power user. Even if all of these competitors offered all-around better specs in every aspect, I would still get the macbook because it doesn't come with Windows.

• Reply 27 of 149

That Lenovo graphic is egregiously misleading.

A 0.3mm difference in thickness is 2.3% thinner (i.e. imperceptible). That appalling graphic makes it look like it's in excess of 33% thinner. Which it's not.

Also cough spyware cough...

• Reply 28 of 149
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What a joke! All of those companies should just shut down their doors and declare that they're closing up shop!

Apple's laptops have always been copied by other monkeys since day one, and virtually all PC "ultrabooks" and laptops look like cheap knockoffs of Apple's products. I'd be embarrassed to even be seen with one, not to mention the fact that they can't run OS X. 

1 or 2 mms is not much of a difference in size, but the weight difference is something that NONE of those PC makers dare mention.

The difference between 2 lbs and 2.8 lbs for example is huge, especially for a mobile product!

This new Macbook is going to sell a lot. No amount of idiotic and pathetic tweets from desperate knockoff makers and other monkeys is going to change that.

• Reply 29 of 149
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    I must say that I've yet to use a PC laptop with a decent trackpad. None of them have ever matched Apple's trackpad in quality and user experience.
  • Reply 30 of 149
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple's laptops have always been copied by other monkeys since day one, and virtually all PC "ultrabooks" and laptops look like cheap knockoffs of Apple's products. I'd be embarrassed to even be seen with one, not to mention the fact that they can't run OS X. 

The whole "can't run OS X" argument is convenient for us, but the only reason that it won't run on non-Apple products (without some hacking) is because Apple wants it that way. It's not a technical fault of the PC hardware, even if much of that hardware is of a lower build quality.

• Reply 31 of 149
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

And yet the new MacBook doesn't come buried with shovelware and malware (cough, cough, Superfish, cough)...

• Reply 32 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I must say that I've yet to use a PC laptop with a decent trackpad. None of them have ever matched Apple's trackpad in quality and user experience.

That's always been the case. Nothing else has ever come close to Apple's trackpad.

Apple also needs to update the Magic trackpad because I want that new force touch trackpad! :smokey:

• Reply 33 of 149
    It is what it is. The consumer will tell us all which is better. I never had respect for those who bad mouth others on any level. Just stay true to yourself and everything else will work itself out.
  • Reply 34 of 149
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 35 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

The whole "can't run OS X" argument is convenient for us, but the only reason that it won't run on non-Apple products (without some hacking) is because Apple wants it that way. It's not a technical fault of the PC hardware, even if much of that hardware is of a lower build quality.

Yes, but does it make a difference? 

• Reply 36 of 149
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    "We have X better by some dubious margin"

But what about Y, Z, A, B & C?

I still haven't warmed up to the new Windows. The Tile UI doesn't mean jack if the apps for it are sparse.
  • Reply 37 of 149
    I think the new MacBook is an elegant little machine. Fanless and port less, a perfect travel companion. Sure you need an adapter here and there, but if your use case demands it, it is not that big of a deal. Price is a little high for my taste, but that is just one opinion. It is not meant to be a high-performance workhorse, but that said, I am curious as to what type of performance it does have.
  • Reply 38 of 149
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by techno View Post

The lack of storage and ports are two things I first thought of. I understand that Apple is pushing everyone to the cloud, but there are still people, like myself, that wish to stay grounded to a certain degree. I love all of the convenience the cloud offers, and I use it, but I do want my stuff with me on my computer too. I have a lot of music and a lot of photos. I want those on my computer (and backed up of course). Now with a laptop that has one port to satisfy power, storage and other devices, will it be a mess of adapters and hubs that I need to carry with me? I don't want to remove my external hard drive (that is needed because the internal is too small) so I can plug in the power cord. 

That being said, Apple has always been at the forefront of pushing us into new directions. There will always be people complaining as they are pushed off the ledge. And Apple has almost always bee correct in their assessment of the direction of technology, well, because they are usually the ones creating it.

I have my iTunes library and one of my iPhoto libraries on my external drive which I plug in to my laptop at work. I don't need them with me at all times. With the new usb C you should be able to plug that straight into your ex HD and it should supply the power for the laptop. Another cable should be able to go from the HD to the monitor. Or a hub can be used. Its all doable, or will be over time, me thinks.

• Reply 39 of 149
    What about battery life?

Apple has all day battery - and the inside is practically all battery, because Apple cares about it. The MacBook is thin, light, and actually runs all day. How could they make it smaller - take out the only thing left, give us less battery?

I'd love to see the comparisons on that.
  • Reply 40 of 149
    It's odd to see Asus trading blows like this... especially when the bulk of their laptop sales are garbage like this:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/56491/width/600/height/700[/IMG]

5 pounds... spinning hard drive... and free internet security! Woohoo!!!