Apple iOS 8 distribution hits 77% as Google's Android remains bifurcated

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    ROTFL!!! That's bloody fucking rich, calling me a TROLL?
    No sir I didn't. I said in my opinion you were trolling. I still think so and your latest rant would support that. Continue on by yourself.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Not so.

You may refer to me as Mr. Happy, if you so wish.
    Mr. Happypants. It flows off the tongue better. :D

No, thank you. Mr. Happy will do.
  • Reply 63 of 73

Now, GG, we all know you have a clear understanding of how Google Play Services works. Yet this is the third time (by my count) that you made a blanket statement about GPS being able to provide security updates which you later backtracked on and qualified by admitting it can't update everything.

Since you know how GPS works, and you CONTINUE to post blanket statements that IMPLY that GPS is still providing support to older Android versions, then one can only assume you do it intentionally.

• Reply 64 of 73
    Looks like a huge improvement on the Android side compared to the past.
    Both Jelly Bean and Kit Kat are decent OS.
    Plus, the Hardware on Android smartphones had really matured a lot and so has the price. These days all good Android phones are at least as expensive as an Apple phone. Kind of makes me wonder why would people pay so much for a second rated OS.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Now, GG, we all know you have a clear understanding of how Google Play Services works. Yet this is the third time (by my count) that you made a blanket statement about GPS being able to provide security updates which you later backtracked on and qualified by admitting it can't update everything.

Since you know how GPS works, and you CONTINUE to post blanket statements that IMPLY that GPS is still providing support to older Android versions, then one can only assume you do it intentionally.

If I don't get fries with my burger I can still have lunch. It doesn't mean I didn't get a lunch. Just because you didn't get EVERY new iPhone feature with the latest iOS update doesn't mean you were abandoned and your OS wasn't updated to give you new features. You're "creating a false and misleading impression" by implying nothing happens unless it all happens in an attempt to deceive casual readers into believing I've posted a falsehood. Not very nice nor ethical in my opinion.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    herbivoreherbivore Posts: 132member
    I had tried one of those Android devices. Got myself the Motorola Droid when it was first released. That phone was useless within a year. Couldn't update Android.

Every iPhone I have had ever since has lasted me a minimum of two years and the original 3GS lasted me four when the phone ultimately fell apart.

Not surprising that only 3% of the Android market is on lollipop. There is probably great difficulty at the very best and an impossibility at the very least to upgrade an older device.

Microsoft will probably get it right. And if they do, watch Google's Android marketshare shrink rapidly. Maybe Samsung could produce a way for Android users to migrate over to Tizen.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Actually, your article indicates they did exactly that:

"Google's position is that it isn't practical to integrate security patches from a large open source project as Webkit (hundreds of developers, thousands of commits every month) with a branch that is now two years old (bundled with Jelly Bean)."

Please explain how this does not qualify as "dropping support" for a two-year-old product.

That'S EXACTLY what it means... But, shhhsh, lets not worry those 300-400M people with massively unsecure phones... Wouldn'T want to worry them.

• Reply 68 of 73
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    That'S EXACTLY what it means... But, shhhsh, lets not worry those 300-400M people with massively unsecure phones... Wouldn'T want to worry them.

They're not patching the Web browser they no longer make. If we're to believe usage stats then all Android users are safe because they don't browse the net.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They're not patching the Web browser they no longer make. If we're to believe usage stats then all Android users are safe because they don't browse the net.

I hope you're being ironic there... Because it looks so bad for Android otherwise : "hey we're safe because no one uses our crappy software", that doesn't sound too good! But, even if use was significantly less, unless it is zero for all those 400M, there's a major risk.

The Webkit is also used inside apps often don't you know to access web content. That's not so rare.  Also, you're assume that's the only unpatched bug, which is pretty doubtful.

One major problem is that if they receive a link in their email or sms (the way that goes usually), they'll "browse" because people seemingly can't stop clicking on these things. That's how malware/virus gets on these devices; the less tech savvy, the more likely they'll do it. There's a reason Mallware is polluting them and its not because they never sideload from a web site (though they may not be doing consciously).

• Reply 70 of 73
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    herbivore wrote: »
    I had tried one of those Android devices. Got myself the Motorola Droid when it was first released. That phone was useless within a year. Couldn't update Android.
    So how was it useless after 1 year? (Apart from buying an iPhone that is). As unless I'm mistaken phones do not magically stop working when the o's manufacturer releases a new version.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:

Originally Posted by singularity View Post

So how was it useless after 1 year? (Apart from buying an iPhone that is). As unless I'm mistaken phones do not magically stop working when the o's manufacturer releases a new version.

Maybe he means that it didn't get a security update, which for some people means it is for all intent useless. Though, many people don't care at all since seemingly more than 400M phones have very major security holes.

• Reply 72 of 73
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Maybe he means that it didn't get a security update, which for some people means it is for all intent useless. Though, many people don't care at all since seemingly more than 400M phones have very major security holes.
    Nope, unless he's referring to the original Moto Droid back in 2009. FYI, that's the smartphone that made Android a viable alternative to the iPhone for a lot of buyers. Prior to that I would imagine most buyers had never even heard of Android. If that's the phone he got a lot of things have changed in 5 years, just as the iPhone has.

The 2013 Droid Maxx and Ultra got updated to KitKat 4.4.4 in 2014. They're also slated for the just now released 2015 Android 5.1 update very soon according to Motorola.
  • Reply 73 of 73
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

2) I'd say Bender B. Rodríguez is my favourite cartoon character of all time. And it you don't like, well, then you can bite my shiny metal ass. image

Word Origin and History for Nimrod

"great hunter," 1712, a reference to the biblical son of Cush, referred toc(Gen. x:8-9) as "a mighty hunter before the Lord." It came to mean "geek, klutz" by 1983 in teenager slang, for unknown reasons. (Amateur theories include its occasional use in "Bugs Bunny" cartoon episodes featuring rabbit-hunting Elmer Fudd as a foil; its possible ironic use, among hunters, for a clumsy member of their fraternity; or a stereotype of deer hunters by the non-hunting population in the U.S.)

As to your point #2, I personally don't like all of the sexual innuendo, and the like, in the modern-produced cartoons. It's easy to get a laugh, but after a while, it gets old to me. Even the cartoons geared towards kids (3-10) are like that and I think it's disgusting. The old Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera cartoons were so well written and clever, none of that obvious, gratuitous stuff was needed. While there was a lot of latent humor going on, it wasn't till I was an adult that I got a lot of the "thinking man's" humor that I used to miss completely as a little gomer.