Study: 6% of iPhone 6 owners have used touchless Apple Pay in stores, 85% have not

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TzTerri View Post

I would use it a lot more if I could. 3 of my cards that I often use do not support Apple pay plus a lot of merchants still aren't setup for it.

Same here. Discover is not supported, my Bank of America business card is not supported, and my credit union card is not supported. I was kind of surprised to be shut out.

• Reply 22 of 92
    Let's face it: it's going to do nothing for the bottom line.

That said, I'd love to be able to use it, as it sounds very neat. I like getting email receipts rather than paper ones.

First things first: firstly, Ive needs to design an attractive iPhone to replace the ugly 6. Secondly, it needs to be 4" or thereabouts.

Once those pieces have fallen into place, then I can proceed.

The iPhone 6 looks awesome.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mystigo wrote: »

Same here. Discover is not supported, my Bank of America business card is not supported, and my credit union card is not supported. I was kind of surprised to be shut out.

Discover, understandably. Credit Unions, that's going to take some time to get all of them but they should be coming. But BoA not accepting it for your card? What's unique about it? Is there another bank involved which is why it's not accepted?
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Yes, I did read the article so I know that it effectively takes this joke away from me, but hey, let me have my fun:

Study: 6% of iPhone 6 owners have used touchless Apple Pay in stores, 85% have not, 9% dead from self-inflicted gunshot wound.
  • Reply 25 of 92
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    My sister started to sign up for Apple Pay, but when she got to the section of the Terms and Conditions (yes, she did read them) that transferred responsibility for credit card fraud from the bank to her, she cancelled out of the signup.  Maybe some of those other 85% read the T&Cs, too.
  • Reply 26 of 92
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Just used it at Subway tonight. It's nice just being able to tap my phone and scan my thumb. More places need to accept it though.
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Target isn't supporting Apple Pay in-store. It's preferable to them to have an annual hacking into their status quo system and get a new CEO every year. Zara, has NFC terminals but they're not activated for accepting Apple Pay. Safeway is happy to get rid of cashiers and make people scan their own stuff to save money but allow people to pay securely? Nope.

These retailers despise their customers. Apple needs to heavily reward these early adopter merchants and shame their competitors.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Let's face it: it's going to do nothing for the bottom line.

First things first: firstly, Ive needs to design an attractive iPhone to replace the ugly 6. Secondly, it needs to be 4" or thereabouts.

Once those pieces have fallen into place, then I can proceed.

With all due respect, no one really gives a shit when you decide to "proceed" or what you think about Ive's design skills, nor what the **** you think the iPhone "needs" to be. Apple will remain insanely successful without you. Ive has proven himself, the iPhone 6 has proven itself a million fold-  you are the one that has yet to prove anything except for the fact that you're one of the worst and most useless trolls to ever grace the internet. Hilarious how often you've bitched and whined about Apple Pay not being available wherever the hell you live, but you've never had any intention of buying an iPhone 6 anyway- evidence that your goal is simply to complain, even when whatever you're bitching about has zero effect on your life. 

Moving on, regarding Apple Pay, posters here are really under-estimating the stupidity, ignorance, and intellectual laziness of most people. I know many people who had no clue their iPhone 5S or 6 had a fingerprint reader. I ask them if they use Touch ID, and they give me a blank scare, not even knowing the feature exists on their phone that they just spent a shitload of money on. The % of people who use Apple Pay has nothing to do with how well it's supported. Paying by phone is still a pretty foreign concept to most people, and will be for a while still 

• Reply 29 of 92

Trolls will just move the goalposts. It doesn't matter what Apple does.

• Reply 30 of 92
    So at least 4.2 million people use Apple Pay regularly.
  • Reply 31 of 92
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,292member

I use Apple Pay about once a week., but I totally believe these stats. 

There's a local grocery store in my town that has the NFC terminals, and it does work, but they don't have an ApplePay logo and they don't promote it at all. I've just been holding my iPhone up to every terminal I come across to see where it works and where it doesn't. I've been using my iPhone to pay for purchases at this store since ApplePay went live, yet just last week a cashier there saw me use it and said "that's cool -- that's the first time i've seen somebody use that!" I suspect that cashier has a far more representative view of what happens among normal people than I do. 

Another anecdote -- my GF has an iPhone 6+. She tried to set up ApplePay once, but she ran into some problems with her bank. She hasn't tried again. I keep meaning to set it up for her, but there's always something more important to do. And it's not like her credit card doesn't work. 

I think the bottom line is... ApplePay represents a small, marginal increase in convenience, once you've got it set up and if you shop at merchants that accept it. But the inconvenience of setup and the scarcity of merchants really limit usage. Over time I think this will improve. Normal people will see people like me using it and be more inclined to try it themselves. Merchant acceptance will grow. Apple just needs to be patient (and I'm sure they will be). 

• Reply 32 of 92
    Lets not forget you also need a participating credit or debit card to use it. None of my cards work at this time so I'm out.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    Does Apple has a strategy to penetrate the restaurant business where the waiter/waitress brings you the receipt?
  • Reply 34 of 92
    Use this app "mastercard nearby" and it will show a map or list view of NFC locations near you that should work with Apple Pay or any NFCU capable phone.
  • Reply 36 of 92
    semi_guy wrote: »
    I would use ApplePay all the time, if I could find a store that supported it. The only places I have seen ApplePay supported in Texas is Panera and some McDonalds. Every other retailer has the terminals that support it, but do not accept ApplePay.

I'm in Texas and I use Apple Pay at McDonald’s, Fire House Subs, Panera Bread, Subway, Whole Foods, Jamba Juice, Taco Cabana, and Whataburger. Also Home Depot, Walgreens and ToyRUs accept Apple Pay. I hear Jersey Mikes takes Apple Pay but I haven't tried it. I use the MasterCard Nearby app to locate places that accept contactless payments.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    solipsismy wrote: »

What do you mean by "formal"? Being listed on Apple's website? I would think that's just an early start formality that will be eliminated after about a year.

The word 'formal' is irrelevant to the real point of my post, which is about being able to use the iPhone with NFC terminals. Can we stick to that?
  • Reply 38 of 92
    aussienorm wrote: »

Well, the survey was of around 1200 people. Apple sold over 70 million iPhone 6 variants in a few days at launch. Half of those in the USA. So the sample size of the survey is a tad small.
    From reading this forum, it sounds like Apple Pay is the most used cardless payment system in the world - exactly what it is (after just a few months of availability).
    It will launch in Europe & Australia later this year, and it will be huge.

Its a statistically relevant sample size to be able to draw valid conclusions (assuming the sampling was random).
  • Reply 39 of 92
    "..... bringing the total to almost 150 partners across the U.S., with another 700 awaiting authorization."

There's your problem: only 150 of 850 banks are set up to use their cards in the system.

My bank isn't on the list, my wife's bank isn't on the list, my parents bank isn't on the list, her parents bank isn't on the list.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Moving on, regarding Apple Pay, posters here are really under-estimating the stupidity, ignorance, and intellectual laziness of most people. I know many people who had no clue their iPhone 5S or 6 had a fingerprint reader. I ask them if they use Touch ID, and they give me a blank scare, not even knowing the feature exists on their phone that they just spent a shitload of money on. The % of people who use Apple Pay has nothing to do with how well it's supported. Paying by phone is still a pretty foreign concept to most people, and will be for a while still 

I've witnessed some of this myself. Just last week, I was talking to a colleague when I noticed that she had a new iPhone 6. I asked her when she bought it, and she said she got it a month or two after release. I then noticed that she kept using her pin to unlock her phone. I asked why she wasn't using TouchID, and I got the same aforementioned blank stare. And the funniest thing was, a couple of her fingerprints were already set up. She apparently set them up when she got the phone, but seemed to have forgotten. I didn't even bother asking at that point, if she was using ApplePay. Doh!