Study: 6% of iPhone 6 owners have used touchless Apple Pay in stores, 85% have not

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member

I was at a rest stop on I-95 in Florida last week. Thought I'd buy a candy bar and saw that the machine accepted "RF" purchases. I pressed E-6 and my iPhone lit up with my default card. I did the thumb-print thing, the lights on the candy machine flashed and.... nothing. No candy bar, no error, no nothing except a few seconds later I got a notification that $1.50 had had been charged. I was tempted to try again but decided I'd used up my education expense for the day.

• Reply 82 of 92
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo2222 View Post

I was at a rest stop on I-95 in Florida last week. Thought I'd buy a candy bar and saw that the machine accepted "RF" purchases. I pressed E-6 and my iPhone lit up with my default card. I did the thumb-print thing, the lights on the candy machine flashed and.... nothing. No candy bar, no error, no nothing except a few seconds later I got a notification that $1.50 had had been charged. I was tempted to try again but decided I'd used up my education expense for the day.

Every vending machine with RFID and magstripe I've used requires you to card first, then select. This is because it's retrofitted into the cash system, and that's how cash works. Sounds like user error.

• Reply 83 of 92
    It is stupid for any merchant not to support NFC, considering that all merchants, unless they have already done so, will be forced to replace their credit card terminals with terminals that support the new chip credit card and most likely NFC.

Apple Pay is faster, more efficient, and more secure. The only exception are banks that foolishly did not have sufficient verification processes when creating new Apple Pay accounts. My credit union did.

I have used Apple Pay at several locations at my university, a Jamba Juice, several grocery stores, a CVS, and a few other retailers. In every case, I am pleased with its ease of use and efficiencies.

Hopefully other retailers will see the light soon.
  • Reply 84 of 92

This could be except for two facts. One is that Tim Cook extolled the virtues of using ApplePay at vending machines in the latest keynote and, two, as soon as I made my choice my iPhone woke up and displayed Passbook and prompted me to use Touch ID to complete the transaction. The sale wet through since I got billed for it.

Maybe the machine was broken and even if I had put in cash it still wouldn't have delivered the candy. However, I think in that case I could have hit the coin return and it would have given me back my money.

• Reply 85 of 92
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    yoyo2222 wrote: »
    This could be except for two facts. One is that Tim Cook extolled the virtues of using ApplePay at vending machines in the latest keynote and, two, as soon as I made my choice my iPhone woke up and displayed Passbook and prompted me to use Touch ID to complete the transaction. The sale wet through since I got billed for it.

Maybe the machine was broken and even if I had put in cash it still wouldn't have delivered the candy. However, I think in that case I could have hit the coin return and it would have given me back my money.

1) Over the years I've lost a lot of dollars and coins to vending machines that took the money but didn't deliver any product. It's been a very rare occurrence, but its happened. Even more rare has been getting a refund from these small cash transactions by waiting for the vending machine operator to show up on site and give back cash based our word.

2) This has got to the weirdest anti-?Pay complaint I've read. You paid with a CC or debit card via ?Pay! YOU PAID WITH A CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD!!! Do you get it, yet? For most accounts, you can either go online or call your bank to get a refund issued for the $2.00(?) you lost in the transaction. They'll be able to relay your transaction amount and time to the vendor, who will likely send someone out there to check the machine. The fact that you see this as a negative about ?Pay and not a positive because you can easily get your money is sending up red flags that user error was involved. Perhaps you didn't select the proper options for your snack, but it's a moot point because you'll get your money back instantly. The vendor operator can surely tell if the machine isn't working or if there was a payment at the time informed by your bank that didn't have a properly inputted item selection at all (or perhaps some time later when someone tried to use the machine).
  • Reply 86 of 92
    Don't get too excited. I'm not really complaining, just passing along an experience. It was (and is, because I keep looking for someplace I can use it) the first time I used ApplePay. I didn't have the time or inclination to troubleshoot it. It's not worth it to go to my bank website for $1.50.

2) This has got to the weirdest anti-?Pay complaint I've read. You paid with a CC or debit card via ?Pay! YOU PAID WITH A CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD!!! Do you get it, yet? For most accounts, you can either go online or call your bank to get a refund issued for the $2.00(?) you lost in the transaction. They'll be able to relay your transaction amount and time to the vendor, who will likely send someone out there to check the machine. The fact that you see this as a negative about ?Pay and not a positive because you can easily get your money is sending up red flags that user error was involved. Perhaps you didn't select the proper options for your snack, but it's a moot point because you'll get your money back instantly. The vendor operator can surely tell if the machine isn't working or if there was a payment at the time informed by your bank that didn't have a properly inputted item selection at all (or perhaps some time later when someone tried to use the machine). E[/quote]
  • Reply 87 of 92
    Don't get too excited. I'm not really complaining, just passing along an experience. It was (and is, because I keep looking for someplace I can use it) the first time I used ApplePay. I didn't have the time or inclination to troubleshoot it. It's not worth it to go to my bank website for $1.50.

Fine, you're not complaining so much as merely relaying your experience, which happens to be a bad one. But note that you've not made 3 posts on this forum about this experience which would have surely been less time than it takes to sign into your account to note that you didn't the product for which you paid.

You say it's worth going to your bank's website for $1.50, but you're fine with taking the time to talk about to people that may never go to that vending machine. That makes no sense to me since you're lack of reporting to the proper people could result in countless others having that same experience. Think of the childrens.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    Heres the problem: its only available in the US. Outside, its unsupported. And the biggest issue is, most us retailers have not been set up with contactless payment or even EMV chip support, while foreign countries have more contactless terminals and almost all terminals use EMV. So, America is probably the least prepared of all the countries, and Apple should have made it available in more countries at launch.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    jabejabe Posts: 1member

I thought the idea of Apple Pay was cool, until I went to use it at Whole Foods for my purchase of $65. I held up my device and was recognized, but then the POS terminal prompted me to select if I wanted to use credit or debit. Then your prompted to enter your card pin or sign the terminal. At this point, I was thinking, why wouldn't I just use my debit card instead. I thought Apple Pay was supposed to simplify the checkout process, but I guess not. The clerk said that Visa/MasterCard/AMEX require the store provide a record of the signature, etc. on purchases over $50. Really?!?.... no wonder it's not being utilized. This must change before I'll ever use it again.

• Reply 90 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Fine, you're not complaining so much as merely relaying your experience, which happens to be a bad one. But note that you've not made 3 posts on this forum about this experience which would have surely been less time than it takes to sign into your account to note that you didn't the product for which you paid.

You say it's worth going to your bank's website for $1.50, but you're fine with taking the time to talk about to people that may never go to that vending machine. That makes no sense to me since you're lack of reporting to the proper people could result in countless others having that same experience. Think of the childrens.

Fine. You are right. You are probably always right. How can you live amongst mere mortals?

• Reply 91 of 92
    Fine. You are right. You are probably always right. How can you live amongst mere mortals?

It can be tough, but your non-sarcastic comments about immortality helps. Thank you.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    ryan good wrote: »
    Heres the problem: its only available in the US. Outside, its unsupported. And the biggest issue is, most us retailers have not been set up with contactless payment or even EMV chip support, while foreign countries have more contactless terminals and almost all terminals use EMV. So, America is probably the least prepared of all the countries, and Apple should have made it available in more countries at launch.

You're going to have to be onboard with the chip credit cards on or before October 2015. Might as well do it now before the mad rush for equipment this summer and early fall.

Our store upgraded last summer and we fully support and encourage Apple Pay.