Google, Intel team with TAG Heuer on luxury Android Wear smartwatch to counter Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    aderutter wrote: »
    These are going to make the Apple Watch look like a bargain.
    Other than both are watches they aren't really comparable in my opinion. The Apple Watch may not appeal at all to those who find the beefiness (manliness?) of the Tag Heuer attractive. Two very distinct looks.
  • Reply 22 of 171

Tag Heuer announced some major price reductions today (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/18/lvmh-watches-tagheuer-idUSFWN0WJ01H20150318) blaming the Swiss Franc.

Coincidence? I think not.

• Reply 23 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Datsun/Nissan does make some great engines.

Like the VQ line that made Ward's top 10 engines for 15 years in a row.

Also the legendary RB engines in the GTR Skyline R33 and R34.

Even the current GTR has an insane turbo charged V6.  That car can smoke any Aston Martin on a race track.

Except if you're paying Aston prices you don't want an engine from Datsun. You want an engine tuned or designed by Cosworth at the least.

• Reply 24 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Other than both are watches they aren't really comparable in my opinion. The Apple Watch may not appeal at all to those who find the beefiness (manliness?) of the Tag Hauer attractive. Two very distinct looks.

Except that you/we have no idea if it will continue to look "beefy"/"manly" after Google and Android have had their go at it.

• Reply 25 of 171
    You/we have no idea if it will continue to look "beefy"/"manly" after Google and Android have had their go at it.
    I'll be surprised if Google has any say whatsoever in the styling. I don't think they are involved with vetting anyone else's Android Wear hardware design philosophies.
  • Reply 26 of 171
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

I love these desperate partnerships thrown together by large companies at the last minute in a futile attempt to rebuff whatever Apple is doing. Android Wear is trash. Intel has shown that it can't made a decent mobile chip worth a damn. And Tag knows nothing about designing a smartwatch, and does not have the culture to support such an endeavor. Sounds like an amazing mix. 

• Reply 27 of 171
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Google likes to form partnerships. Remember that Android Open Handset Alliance. Good times.
  • Reply 28 of 171
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Today there was a interview on CNBC with Mr. Jean-Claude Biver of TAG Heuer. He back tracked his earlier criticism about Apple watch when it was announced in last September and in fact he praised Apple watch. To me, it was surprising to listen such swiss watch industry veteran and head of TAG Heuer realized and saying Apple watch is real deal and biggest threat. Fall out is TAG Heuer decided to work with Intel and Google to answer Apple watch threat to his company and Swiss watch industry like in past Japanese did with quartz watch. I am sure every Tom Dick and Herry in smartphone and wearable industry will try to come up with something. But, at the end can you even come close to Apple watch? By, the time they copy Apple watch and refined their products, Apple watch will be in it's next generation.
  • Reply 29 of 171
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    LOLS, good luck selling "luxury" to the android user base...
  • Reply 30 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You/we have no idea if it will continue to look "beefy"/"manly" after Google and Android have had their go at it.

I'll be surprised if Google has any say whatsoever in the styling. I don't think they are involved with vetting anyone else's Android Wear hardware design philosophies.

The article specifically mentions Google.

Please admit that you have simply no clue how this partnership is or will be structured. Is that so hard to do?

• Reply 31 of 171
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

LOLS, good luck selling "luxury" to the android user base...

Exactly.  Not even a minute would pass after introduction, that some basement-dwelling Fandroid loser states how he can build an Tag/Android watch using no-name PC pieces and CPU's for 1/5th the cost.

Just wait...

• Reply 32 of 171
    The article specifically mentions Google.
    Of course it does and of course we have clues to what the partnership means. Google supplies the OS and the partner supplies the hardware and makes the design choices as a rule. My comments about Google vetting the hardware design is based on what the other AndroidWear partners have done. They've not ever dictated an independent partners hardware before now AFAIK. Tag Heuer is likely just another partner getting the OS and interface assistance from Google.

So yeah I'll be really surprised if they become the first that has to have their exterior watch design approved by Google. You will be too if you stop to think about it. Why would Google know more about Swiss watch design than a Swiss watch maker? :D
  • Reply 33 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It looks like TAG Heuer finally woke up to the strategic risk the Apple Watch is bringing to their industry.  It's a shame about the Google Gear partnership, though.

Bingo, John. :)

• Reply 34 of 171
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Fairlady

Ok, I'll join the Datsun/Fairlady subthread: I once had a 1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster. This model was discontinued so the production line could be converted to build the Datsun 240Z.

Yes, I remember that the roadster was previously a Fairlady. Mine had an inline 6 cylinder engine with two sidedraft carburators. It was a fun car.

Oh, and it had a Borg transmission. Resistance is futile.

• Reply 35 of 171
    Please admit that you have simply no clue how this partnership is or will be structured. Is that so hard to do?
    Weren't you the one claiming Google was going to have a say in what the watch looks like? I'm simply saying I'll be surprised if they do. Google has some of the world's best software engineers but not their own Jonathan Ive.
  • Reply 36 of 171
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    TAG Heuer awesome!! Google's Android meh.
  • Reply 37 of 171
    thx1138thx1138 Posts: 13member
    A Tag for a grand, or, gasp, less than a grand? Can't see it - why on earth would they cheapen their brand?

Naaaa!

dmz
  • Reply 38 of 171
    sog35 wrote: »
    If we are just talking engines the GTR R34 destroys any Aston engine made during that time period.

And the current GTR V6 slams any Aston Martin.

Its just a very bad comparisson.  

The GTR smokes any Aston because of its all-wheel drive and supercomputer launch control system NOT because of its engine. GTR is easy mode, Astons are for people who enjoy cars. There is no such thing as a classy rice burner so his anology actually is fitting, which is putting some something non-classy (Android) into something real watch people enjoy (Tag).
  • Reply 39 of 171
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,962member
    Once again Google lets Apple do years of R&D heavy lifting, then steps in with a reverse engineered product in record time. These guys have no honor.
  • Reply 40 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow I haven't heard the name Datsun used for decades ... I had an old Datsun 1200 Coupe as a student. It was fine as long as I didn't have to stop. image

"...as long as I didn't have to stop."

That's funny, Digi. I'm going to use it. :)

I had a friend who bought a Hyundai when first introduced in the US (years ago). He told me if he wants to make an emergency stop, he just turns on the A/C. They were pretty junkie. Not so much anymore. 

Best.