Google, Intel team with TAG Heuer on luxury Android Wear smartwatch to counter Apple Watch

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,959member
    Apple has its own cachet, Google has to borrow theirs from others.
  • Reply 62 of 171
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Google can't do squat without some 3rd party hardware OEM.
  • Reply 63 of 171
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Well assuming this is true, why does using Android software preclude TH from creating a custom app for the iPhone?
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It doesn't AFAIK.

EDIT: This Verge article comes to the same conclusion as I did about Android Wear and iPhones.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/19/8256937/android-wear-luxury-needs-iphone

Then they might have a puncher's chance.
  • Reply 64 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Google can't do squat without some 3rd party hardware OEM.
    I made pretty much that same point myself earlier in the thread. Software? Probably. Hardware? Not so much.
  • Reply 65 of 171
    vqrovqro Posts: 66member
    and how do you squeeze both a mechanical watch and the necessary chips, circuit boards, battery, electronics screens, to run android wear and last all day??? they didn't think this through very well... I predict a major major flop. and as usual the insecure fandroid engadget editors, mods, commenters are now saying the opposite of what they said about the apple edition watch. now all of a sudden it's ok to pay thousands for a 'smart watch'. hahahaha TagH going from low mid tier 'luxury' watch to low-end junk that won't sell.
  • Reply 66 of 171
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    Features:
    "Scroll through your notifications using our revolutionary digital winding key on a beautiful 2x6 mm dot matrix display"
  • Reply 67 of 171
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I noticed a video the other day on one of the other Apple fan sites showing an AndroidWear smartwatch taking a call from an iPhone. I think eventually, and perhaps sooner than later, AndroidWear may be generally compatible with iPhones.

By the way I ran across this article pointing out the some of the things an Apple Watch can do that an Android one can't. Good read.

http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-watch-vs-android-wear-12-features-apples-offering-has-that-googles-doesnt/

EDIT: Found at least one of the videos. Not sure this is the one I had seen earlier. This iPhone isn't jail-broken either.

http://www.iclarified.com/47825/android-wear-smartwatch-accepting-an-iphone-call-video

Edit 2:

Here's another showing an iPhone connected to an Android Wear based smartphone

Only takes the phone call which is nothing more than just a Bluetooth speaker on the wrist. When we say about iPhone compatibility, it's about other features like health/fitness tracking, payments, notifications and such. Android watch with iPhone? Only dumb iPhone users actually do that.

• Reply 68 of 171
    citivascitivas Posts: 14member
    Let's hope they hold up better than TAG Heuer's regular watches. Mine has sucked and been worse than any of my cheap old Timex watches.
  • Reply 69 of 171
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

TAG does not understand that their watches will be stuck with android phones and users even if they try to tag on Apple's coat tail.

iOS users will buy the Apple Watch.

They should try licensing their their watch faces out.

Luxury Watch - Android users? Something's wrong with that picture.

• Reply 70 of 171
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RedRaider2011 View Post

The GTR smokes any Aston because of its all-wheel drive and supercomputer launch control system NOT because of its engine. GTR is easy mode, Astons are for people who enjoy cars. There is no such thing as a classy rice burner so his anology actually is fitting, which is putting some something non-classy (Android) into something real watch people enjoy (Tag).

Exactly. I'd rather drive, say, a DBS all day, despite the fact that the GTR may be faster. In the end, it's still a Nissan, whereas Aston has heritage and brand cachet.

$100,000+ for a Datsun is insane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

rice burner?  Really? Racist much?

That's your opinion that only Astons are for people who enjoy cars and the GTR isn't.

And the R34 engine could easily push 1000 hp.  So yes it is about the engine also.

Also Toyota and BMW will share the same engine for the Z4/Supra.  So that throws your theory right out of the window

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1093260_new-toyota-supra-to-share-platform-with-new-bmw-z4-report

Calling it a rice burner is not racist.

• Reply 71 of 171
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think I recall reading the same thing.

Nissan owns Datsun brand and is still using it for emerging markets, if I remember correctly.
  • Reply 72 of 171
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Dateun in Australia until 1984.
  • Reply 73 of 171
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

considering the demographics of android users

most will think TAG Heuer is a zipper brand  a game on google play and can't pronounce it

a quick way to cheapen your brand

connect with people that never heard, saw, fitted or even read a magazine with ad for TAG Heuer 

wow all those analysts saying apple watch will fail.......why all following??

gee can't wait for the 2 for 1 sale

• Reply 74 of 171
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vqro View Post

and how do you squeeze both a mechanical watch and the necessary chips, circuit boards, battery, electronics screens, to run android wear and last all day??? they didn't think this through very well... I predict a major major flop. and as usual the insecure fandroid engadget editors, mods, commenters are now saying the opposite of what they said about the apple edition watch. now all of a sudden it's ok to pay thousands for a 'smart watch'. hahahaha TagH going from low mid tier 'luxury' watch to low-end junk that won't sell.

I think Tag will supply the case and style while Google/Android/Intel will supply the guts!

• Reply 75 of 171
    Ya. Nissan was the company that made the transmissions for Datsun.
  • Reply 76 of 171
    Tag, Celeron, and Froyo.
    The desperate are trying very hard...
  • Reply 77 of 171
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It looks like TAG Heuer finally woke up to the strategic risk the Apple Watch is bringing to their industry.  It's a shame about the Google Gear partnership, though.

They're going to have the same Android issues.  Look, Intel is supply these chips, Google is doing the software, and you really have 3+ company's trying to design and compete against the Apple watch that's was all done in house.  The CPU designed by Apple along with everything else has been done by Apple.  

If took them Apple to announce Prices on it's Apple Watches before TAG goes and says anything.  Wow, big risk takers!!!   Android is associated with CHEAP.  Which is another reason why I thing the new S6 and S6 Edge will fail.  Way to much money for a Android user.  Well the same holds true with Watches.  Now you're relying on other company's!!!!  It's still a race to the bottom in prices.  What's going to change? 

• Reply 78 of 171
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaayco View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think Datsun was just a US name. In Panama they were always Nissan, back as far as I can remember, like mid-sixties.

Nup - We had Datsun in Australia :). There were some classics:

Sorry my mistake. I asked my brother about this and it turns out I was mistaken. We did have Datsuns in Panama. Only the trucks were Nissan which is what we had. Nice 60s era SUV, 4 wheel drive Nissan Patrol. Where we lived, there were mostly trucks because it was rural and the roads were mostly gavel or worse. Now, of course, everything is modern.

• Reply 79 of 171
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    They're going to have the same Android issues.  Look, Intel is supply these chips, Google is doing the software, and you really have 3+ company's trying to design and compete against the Apple watch that's was all done in house.  The CPU designed by Apple along with everything else has been done by Apple.  

If took them Apple to announce Prices on it's Apple Watches before TAG goes and says anything.  Wow, big risk takers!!!   Android is associated with CHEAP.  Which is another reason why I thing the new S6 and S6 Edge will fail.  Way to much money for a Android user.  Well the same holds true with Watches.  Now you're relying on other company's!!!!  It's still a race to the bottom in prices.  What's going to change? 
    What's going to change? I predict (along with many others) Android Wear compatibility with iPhones, meaning Tag Hueuer playing nice with iOS users.
  • Reply 80 of 171
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hexclock View Post

Features:

"Scroll through your notifications using our revolutionary digital winding key on a beautiful 2x6 mm dot matrix display"

Clever ...

But this type of watch would not compete head to head with ALL of the features of the ?Watch. It would likely incorporate fitness sensors, and other basic aspects, like unlocking doors, payment systems, etc. to interface with your smartphone and not necessarily be about notifications. Surprising as it may seem, not everyone is interested in that kind of constant connection on their wrist -- it's nice to be able to put the phone away sometimes.

However, the Swiss watchmakers products rival that of Apple's in build quality. They're the first competitor who has that kind of dedication to detail and ergonomic aptitude, not to mention a high sense of style. If they were to bring the right engineering talent into the fold, just as Apple brought in the right fashion talent, who knows. Imagine if they developed a crystal that was translucent when the smartwatch was not engaged, but turned into an opaque display when activated. The best of both worlds, and a solution that Apple need to pursue.