Apple to reveal new Apple TV with App Store, Siri & A8 CPU at WWDC in June - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 200
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So Buzzfeed gets the breaking tag now too. :D
  • Reply 22 of 200
    My wish list:

- comes with built in AirPort Express (2012 was the last time Express got updated)
    - hardware capable of playing Consol level games
    - services that people living outside of USA can use
    - sub 200$ price tag

And also, Apple, please buy Nintendo.
  • Reply 23 of 200
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    andysol wrote: »

I'd sic wolves on anyone, and everyone that had a hand in giving me a haircut like that.
  • Reply 24 of 200
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member

Any bets as to form factor? Maybe multiples, like the competitors Fire stick/box; Roku stick/box. Just got the fire stick (free with SlingTV), and one thing I really like is not having to point the remote. And there sits my apple TV looking fugly in front of the TV.

I can see a voice activated always on Siri being useful. Kinda like that Echo thingy from Amazon. Even more so if it can connect up via "connectivity" to all the other Apple devices. 

Seems a little overdue.

• Reply 25 of 200
    johnnash wrote: »
    Quite honestly I hope it's true this time.  I've been intentionally holding off upgrading now to the 1080p version for over a year now with the hopes they'd update the hardware.
    Same here can't wait for a shiny new hockey puck.
  • Reply 26 of 200

I basically have AppleTV for two things, watch the occasional documentary on NetFlix (their movie selection is crap) and viewing our photos on our TV with some light music in the background.

One, iTunes Radio blows...it keeps stopping.

The photo management/streaming blows....I have to wait 20 days to delete a fuzzy photo from my stream?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it is no fun anymore.

Best.

• Reply 27 of 200
    It's possible that they'll have an Apple Designed game controller, but it is also possible that you would use your iPad/iPhone via bluetooth as a controller for the games on Apple TV. Again this is hugely speculative there are slight possibilities.

Or maybe Apple TV will support third party bluetooth game controllers the ones that are already available for iOS devices.. Hence opening up the Apple TV SDK for software as well as opening up the Hardware and adding the device to a newly created MFATV (Made for AppleTV)

Since there's a huge industry for third party accessories and devices that interact with iOS devices, there can be an equally huge opportunity for an Apple TV accessories, which can mainly include HomeKit.

Talking about home kit, I can see the big screen being a sort of a control center for your home where you can see the data from all of the home kit enabled devices.

This all sounds so exciting, lets just wait another 2-3 months to see what really happens :)
  • Reply 28 of 200
    #appleheads, like me, rejoice.
  • Reply 29 of 200
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Selling off excess inventory.

Apple doesn't practice this. Tim Cook is the master of the supply chain, he keeps a tight lid on inventory. Apple knows the sell-through rate, they keep less than 30 days inventory in their own stores.

The channel probably has 4-6 weeks of inventory. That's why third-party retailers occasionally drop prices before a new product launch, but Apple itself does not.

• Reply 30 of 200
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...could this new ?TV remote include force touch/haptic feedback?
  • Reply 31 of 200
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I'm happy enough with my current model ATV's, so upgrading has no real urgency, for me at least.

So it'll all depend on what it does and what the price is...and those factors will each depend on the other.

My real hope is that the new one will reliably hold my screensaver settings (PhotoStreams of my own photos),

instead of whimsically reverting to the in-box National Geographic set at least once daily...

(Anyone else have this happen?)

• Reply 32 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Maybe free with a 2-year subscription?:rolleyes:

Maybe $84 with special offers displayed as a screensaver?

Na....

• Reply 33 of 200
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ERokthemicright View Post

Now that the motherboard on the new macbook is so small. What's stopping them from using that type of processor/chipset in the Apple TV? I'm assuming this is going to be the Homekit hub/ tv streaming/ game console of the future.

Apple's A8 delivers greater bang for Apple's buck than Intel processors, as they don't have to pay Intel's margins (which indirectly support Apple's competition). iOS is also Apple's most shipped OS, and the Apple TV business and usage models are much more like that of iOS devices than Macs.

It makes no sense to me for Apple to use Intel processors in anything that absolutely doesn't require it. The Mac is the only product for which that's (currently) true, as Windows compatibility has value in the enterprise market.

• Reply 34 of 200
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'd be shocked if its that cheap.

I think minimum $199 and maximum $349

$109, you heard it here first.

(Yeah, wishful thinking, I know.  But I'm thinking in terms of marketing.  Doubling the preexisting price would be suicide.)

• Reply 35 of 200
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Look at my many posts on this site and many other. This is exactly I mentioned Apple needs to do. Though one thing missing from this article and hope get announced at WWDC is this new Apple TV hardware/software can support games similar to one can play on ipad/iphone but on large screen TV. Hope, not biggy but somehow new hardware can also put out 4K and supports AC wifi, bluetooth 4.0, etc similar to latest iphone/ipad. This paves path to future more powerful Apple TV that can easily become true HOME ENTERTAINMENT HUB for all functions needed inside home that are all over gadgets and can remotely control from your iphone/ipad/laptop.
  • Reply 36 of 200
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I basically have AppleTV for...viewing our photos on our TV with some light music in the background.

The photo management/streaming blows....I have to wait 20 days to delete a fuzzy photo from my stream?

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it is no fun anymore.

I've mentioned my own issue with Photo Streaming in ATV above,

but I don't seem to have problems removing or altering the photo content on an immediate basis...

(Of course, one cure is, don't put fuzzy photos in that photostream in the first place!;))

• Reply 37 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I've mentioned my own issue with Photo Streaming in ATV above,

but I don't seem to have problems removing or altering the photo content on an immediate basis...

(Of course, one cure is, don't put fuzzy photos in that photostream in the first place!;))

Thanks! :)

• Reply 38 of 200
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'd be shocked if its that cheap.

I think minimum $199 and maximum $349

The future for this device has been discussed over and over again.   IMO, at best, they would be adding casual gaming capabilities to the device.   At the price points you suggested, there is little reason to think they can sell at those prices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

Apple doesn't practice this. Tim Cook is the master of the supply chain, he keeps a tight lid on inventory. Apple knows the sell-through rate, they keep less than 30 days inventory in their own stores.

The channel probably has 4-6 weeks of inventory. That's why third-party retailers occasionally drop prices before a new product launch, but Apple itself does not.

Are you sure?  I'm pretty sure they do.  They had millions and millions of iPad 2 and iPad Mini 1 in backlog inventory.  That is way to this day they sell the iPad Mini 1 with now a old A5 chip.   Excess inventory.  

• Reply 39 of 200
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

omg YESSSSSSSS

• Reply 40 of 200
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

Surprised nobody has mentioned DVR capability. If Apple is going to increase the local storage, then why not include DVR capability (at least four channels at same time). This would put them in direct competition with Comcast's X1, which costs $11/mo to rent. Make the new AppleTV cost $130 or so (comparable to one year's X1 rent) and I think they'd have a winner.