Apple to reveal new Apple TV with App Store, Siri & A8 CPU at WWDC in June - report

Comments

• Reply 161 of 200
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    idrey wrote: »
    Rofl. ???? Question, how do you post pics? I haven't been able to. Cant be done on the iphone?

It's even easier to do so from a phone.
  • Reply 162 of 200
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the new Apple TV will also reportedly support… …the company’s latest A8 processor…

The A8 processor that already powers the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus is powerful enough to output 4K-resolution video

But we calculated it. It’s not able to do that.

• Reply 163 of 200
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by UncommonAsian View Post

I think there's a big chance it'll be named the ? Hub if they don't go with Apple TV 4.

they wont go w/ either. there is not Apple TV 3. there is only Apple TV. which generation you have isnt part of the product name.

• Reply 164 of 200
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But we calculated it. It’s not able to do that.

Remember this: when Apple design a chip, they can customize it to make it work. 

I just can't wait to see a Apple box that streams Apple own live TV with full capability to run games, HomeKit and ties all services at home together. That means, not only game console, TV streaming boxes are in trouble but also home security hardware makers (ADT, FrontPoint, LifeShield, Brink, ...)

• Reply 165 of 200
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's even easier to do so from a phone.

I have try, but i wont let me
  • Reply 166 of 200

I have an Apple TV but its too limited. I use the Fire TV WAY more. Games, Music, Movies, Sling TV, side load web browser. I'm hoping that sling brings sling tv to Apple TV and that the new apple TV gets game controller support, and 4k output.

Right now, I have Sling TV in the living room on the fire tv, and use the apple tv in the bed room with the watch espn app. 

• Reply 167 of 200
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    idrey wrote: »
    I have try, but i wont let me

I find the mobile version easier to use than the app.
  • Reply 168 of 200
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think AppleCenter would be a nice name for this new device.

"iVision", anyone?

But I disagree about price.

Apple has often released advancements without noticeable price changes,

so unless they feel they are releasing an entirely new animal, it may not be 

that much, if any, different.  It isn't unreasonable to think that the subscription price

would be a place to "hide" the price change, especially since that's a "gift that keeps on giving".

• Reply 169 of 200
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Makes sense after that price drop.

PS: I really need sell that 2nd gen Apple TV I have. I wonder if I can still get $250 for it. I'm guessing I can't with so many other options now on the market.
  • Reply 170 of 200
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I find the mobile version easier to use than the app.

Thank you!
  • Reply 171 of 200
    A8, 2GB RAM, more storage 32Gb?, 64GB?
  • Reply 172 of 200
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Naturally, we don't know the specs of this box yet, so we're all guessing at this point.

It's not because no one will buy it at $149 or $199, but that EVERYONE will buy it at $99.

With a Chromecast going for $39, Roku's at $90 and SlingTV $20/mth offerings, Apple can wipe the competition at $99. And we know, their profit margin on it will still be very good.

1) I don't buy that "everyone" would buy it.

2) Even if that's the case, so what?  Apple makes high margin, high quality, often disruptive hardware (and now services).  I'd rather sell 10 items at $100 profit than 100 items at $1 profit.  I mean, the Kindle has sold a hell of lot, but Amazon sells it at a loss.  Selling at a loss is not Apple's way.  Getting "everyone" to buy it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing that Apple is interested in.

• Reply 173 of 200
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

1) I don't buy that "everyone" would buy it.

2) Even if that's the case, so what?  Apple makes high margin, high quality, often disruptive hardware (and now services).  I'd rather sell 10 items at $100 profit than 100 items at $1 profit.  I mean, the Kindle has sold a hell of lot, but Amazon sells it at a loss.  Selling at a loss is not Apple's way.  Getting "everyone" to buy it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing that Apple is interested in.

How many people already have iPhones, MacBooks, iMacs, Apple TV in the U.S. and worldwide?

Just iPhone alone - 700 million!  So you can figure 25% will get the new Apple TV first year!

• Reply 174 of 200
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

How many people already have iPhones, MacBooks, iMacs, Apple TV in the U.S. and worldwide?

Just iPhone alone - 700 million!  So you can figure 25% will get the new Apple TV first year!

Exactly.  You have a LOT of people within the Apple ecosystem already.  They are going to sell a lot of them and they don't need to sell at low/no margin to do so.

• Reply 175 of 200
    harry wild wrote: »

Count me in as one of the first ones to get the new ?tv if it comes out. The one i got (not the 1080) is greatand i spect the new ?tv to be even better, specially with all the new tech apple has acquired
  • Reply 176 of 200
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,263member
    The perfect Apple TV for me:
    1. A complete iTunes server so I don't have to run a power sucking Mac in favour of an energy efficient iOS device to play stored content (this requires an ability to add storage as well). The iTunes server would play a wide range of codecs and airplay connect to all mac and iOS devices.
    2. Play 4K from the iTunes server. I suppose you could theoretically stream 4K, but that would be really limiting your market and chew bandwidth.
    2. A home automation server. That's what homekit is for, right?
    3. Alright, an app store that comes with a kit for developers to adapt iOS games for the big screen. Cheap casual gaming would likely make life hard for consoles.
    4. A new controller to go with the app store.
    5. I prefer à la carte to subscription. So call me a dinosaur, but I lead a busy live and would prefer to only pay for what I actually get to watch.
  • Reply 177 of 200
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Here is how AppleTV with Siri will work:

"Play Music".  Siri: "Did you say, Watch Netflix"?  No!  Worthless feature.

• Reply 178 of 200
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I'd be shocked if its that cheap.

I think minimum $199 and maximum $349

I think around 200 as well, though the Fire TV is only 100 and has twice the RAM and CPU to the current model, any word on better gaming, perhaps a dedicated game-pad like with the soon to be released Nvidia Shield set-box. My son will probably go for the latter, meaning the Nvidia regardless of what Apple releases. However I'm actually excited for the Apple TV, will be a great addition to my Minix Z64 and ChromeBox.

• Reply 179 of 200
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member
    Now that the motherboard on the new macbook is so small. What's stopping them from using that type of processor/chipset in the Apple TV? I'm assuming this is going to be the Homekit hub/ tv streaming/ game console of the future.
    Because it will stick with arm/ios
  • Reply 180 of 200
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It won't be cheaper than $349 unless subsidised by IPs or other interested parties.