Second Apple Watch diary entry from model Christy Turlington Burns touts activity tracking, watch co

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

Some software widget called a complication?

ROFL

ROFL indeed.

I think Apple thought they were paying a nice homage to traditional watches by referring to their widgets as complications.

Unfortunately, I think they sound naff and patronising, as the metaphor doesn't translate well. Complications on mechanical watches have a long and dignified pedigree. Slapping such a label on widgets makes a mockery of the term.

As to Miss Burns, I say good luck to her with the London Marathon. Any one who runs it is mad, of course.

The problem with using someone like her as an example is that it doesn't relate well to common usage. The sort of people who already buy fitness devices are people like her, but what about compelling use-cases for the rest of us? I'm not planning to run a marathon tomorrow, so I'd like to know how the Apple Watch fits into my life. So far, it doesn't.

Don't confuse the glances shown in the article with the actual complications they have on the watch face.

• Reply 82 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Who IS this lady?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christy_Turlington

A model and humanitarian. 

• Reply 83 of 86
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It does, which is why the Apple Watch doesn't have it, and is why the iPhone is a superior device for fitness freaks and anyone who wishes to use a map, rendering the Apple Watch less than helpful.

And due to it's diminutive size it makes a truly ineffective hammer.

Which saddens me mightily.

• Reply 84 of 86
    Lack of GPS makes it quite pointless for the fitness freak.

There is far better out there now, but we do have the fitness wannabe as a sales target.
  • Reply 85 of 86
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aBeliefSystem View Post

Lack of GPS makes it quite pointless for the fitness freak.

There is far better out there now, but we do have the fitness wannabe as a sales target.

I don't see why if the reported tracking of mileage works. How useful is a GPS for a treadmill for example? Zero. While using the sensors the watch does have it reportedly can integrate that mileage into your total.