Apple Inc Campus 2 Spaceship Ring tops out cafeteria segment (video)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I don't see this opening before mid-2017, at the earliest.

You think they'll miss their own dates by at least a half a year? If so, why?
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Apple has a lot of milestones, but I have to think we'll look back on this in a few years to see this new campus as a demarcation point for the company. Perhaps good or perhaps bad, but I'd bet on good.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    solipsismy wrote: »

You think they'll miss their own dates by at least a half a year? If so, why?

Because it looks like its barely getting started? I expected much more progress by now.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Apple has a lot of milestones, but I have to think we'll look back on this in a few years to see this new campus as a demarcation point for the company. Perhaps good or perhaps bad, but I'd bet on good.

Why would it possibly be bad?
  • Reply 25 of 61
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

There's a Company Store at IL today, I'm sure there will be one at Campus 2.

Actually, that's pretty iffy.

Apple has publicly stated in their proposals to the City of Cupertino that Campus 2 is engineering complex and that Infinite Loop will remain the main location for visitors.

• Reply 26 of 61
    As much as this is a fantastic piece of architecture, and, as much as i applaud apple for its' green initiatives, I feel that the building and the other facilities are a huge waste of space being surrounded by bush. I have no doubt that they are doing this on expensive real estate and the whole development site resembles a forest a lot more then it does a state-of-the-art technology building....
  • Reply 27 of 61
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

As an european the non-usage of tower cranes looks strange.

Here in Europe big construction sites look like this.

As tower cranes are the most efficient cranes why aren't they used in California? Legal restraints?

• Reply 28 of 61
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jonaspeter1 View Post

As much as this is a fantastic piece of architecture, and, as much as i applaud apple for its' green initiatives, I feel that the building and the other facilities are a huge waste of space being surrounded by bush. I have no doubt that they are doing this on expensive real estate and the whole development site resembles a forest a lot more then it does a state-of-the-art technology building....

Just because you have an aversion to space doesn't mean Apple is wasting it. By putting vehicle parking underground, they're eliminated the need for acres of asphalt. Just because they now have lots of space beyond the building structures, doesn't mean they should have bought less or that they should have built more buildings to "use it up." Just because corporate entities in the past haven't thought to incorporate as much "empty" space into their architectural planning, doesn't mean they shouldn't have. The green space of Campus 2 provides many benefits, both to Apple staff and to the community and the environment. All the plants and trees destined for the space will process a lot of CO2 and produce a lot of O2 in return, to say nothing of the biospheres they provide. This is a research and design facility, and there will be great benefit to that type of production provided by the aesthetics of nature, the tranquility, the peace and quiet, and the security. I could go on, but perhaps my words have already been squandered on someone who somehow needs an explanation.

• Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

As tower cranes are the most efficient cranes why aren't they used in California? Legal restraints?

How do you know they aren't used in California? They're used when constructing "towers" or buildings with more than a few floors. Campus 2 has what, five floors? Also tower cranes make sense when doing vertical construction and the crane doesn't have to move much laterally. Campus 2 has LOTS of lateral area for which cranes on cat treads make more sense.

• Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because it looks like its barely getting started? I expected much more progress by now.

Oh no! They're in trouble because YOU think they're going too slow!

• Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Oh no! They're in trouble because YOU think they're going too slow!

Calm down. No one said they're in trouble. I am simply speculating, based on what I am seeing constructed so far, that it might take longer than 2016. if it does not, great. If it does, no big deal.

• Reply 32 of 61
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Damn.  This is going to be so effing' beautiful.  I really wish I would have an opportunity to see it all one day.

Oh well.

I'm not sure what hidden meaning is in your message, but I hope you do get the chance one day. You can be assured that Apple will be offering public tours of the new facility since it is a world landmark development. 

• Reply 33 of 61
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Laying the foundation and doing the framing are huge parts of the project that must be done carefully and correctly. With that done, quite often the rest comes together more quickly. In this case, they will have learned a great deal about the best approach to the process and can rinse-and-repeat until the entire frame is done to the required standards.

• Reply 34 of 61
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    westcoast8 wrote: »

Beautiful site. Can't think of another<span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;"> construction</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;"> site that is </span>
    <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">being </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">kept so clean. Especially such a monstrous project.</span>

And unless you are of the privileged few, we won't see the entire accomplishment. Surely there are filming the development <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">in </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">3D HD on the go, and it will be in a standard that few cinemaphotograhers will ever enjoy. I can't wait.</span>

I hope you're right sbout this. 3D HD would be essential for posterity.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    coolfactor wrote: »

Laying the foundation and doing the framing are huge parts of the project that must be done carefully and correctly. With that done, quite often the rest comes together more quickly. In this case, they will have learned a great deal about the best approach to the process and can rinse-and-repeat until the entire frame is done to the required standards.

I could be wrong about this, but from the picture, doesn't it look like there's a lot more foundation and framing left? It looks to me like only one small slice of it has been done.
  • Reply 36 of 61

1) I can't possibly see how anyone can look at the original HP campus and then at the latest images from March 2015 and think they've "barely [gotten] started."

2) Apple gave clear timelines for different aspects of the project. What do you see that shows they are not on schedule?

You name it, or just read anything posted by [@]Benjamin Frost[/@], [@]Mac_128[/@], or others that constantly tell tales of how Apple's current move is evidence of the company's imminent collapse.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

That area is one giant asphalt jungle.  Good for Apple to bring back a bit of what used to be there.  As a kid growing up in the 70's, I remember a lot of those orchards and open space.  I wish more companies put more thought into it.

You're in the minority.

• Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Tower cranes are used frequently in California, but for taller buildings and in more dense metropolitan areas. If you look at photos of construction in downtown LA, San Francisco, San Jose, etc., you'll see tower cranes just any metropolitan city.

At this stage in the construction, there's probably very little use for a tower crane. With the openness of the site, it's more efficient to use telehandlers (i.e. SkyTraks). The Campus 2 main building is only five stories high.

• Reply 39 of 61
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Quote:

You name it, or just read anything posted by @Benjamin Frost, @Mac_128, or others that constantly tell tales of how Apple's current move is evidence of the company's imminent collapse.

I think the inference would be that the new campus is a symbol of Apple's incredible growth

(not that the employee numbers aren't there already, but we are talking about 'symbols', after all).

The most amazing, admirable, utterly special thing about Apple is its culture, and its ability to thread that history into its future,

again and again, whatever they do, whatever they turn their hand to.  

And you'd have to admit that this campus, at least, is designed to encourage and nurture its continuance.

But I think that one reason companies stray and eventually fail, or mutate "for bad", as you've put it,

is the inherent difficulty of maintaining the character that makes them great when they become so large 

that there isn't the same personal connection, top to bottom.

I'm not saying this will happen - I sincerely hope it won't - and they've come so far already while retaining

a very good semblance of what, I think, we all have always loved about them.

• Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Steve wanted the open space to pay homage to the roots of this area: this used to be farmland. Plus, it looks nice.

Yes, one can cover every square foot with concrete, build out to the minimum setback, whatever. But just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Steve's priorities were different than yours. As someone who lives in Silicon Valley, I wish there were more people who share Steve's sort of worldview, not yours.

Not every decision on this planet should be made based on cost effectiveness or maximum usage of resources.

Having all the extra space and landscape make it a much more place to work, a more pleasing site for neighbors. Clearly, you don't get it.