Apple Inc Campus 2 Spaceship Ring tops out cafeteria segment (video)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    I don't know why, but I love that catchy little tune that plays behind the videos. Is it some royalty-free ditty from the Internet? There's just something very light, nay optimistic, about it. Could be an Apple commercial!
  • Reply 42 of 61
    I don't know why, but I love that catchy little tune that plays behind the videos. Is it some royalty-free ditty from the Internet? There's just something very light, nay optimistic, about it. Could be an Apple commercial!

You're not the only one who likes it.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    mpantone wrote: »
    As much as this is a fantastic piece of architecture, and, as much as i applaud apple for its' green initiatives, I feel that the building and the other facilities are a huge waste of space being surrounded by bush. I have no doubt that they are doing this on expensive real estate and the whole development site resembles a forest a lot more then it does a state-of-the-art technology building....

Steve wanted the open space to pay homage to the roots of this area: this used to be farmland. Plus, it looks nice.

Yes, one can cover every square foot with concrete, build out to the minimum setback, whatever. But just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Steve's priorities were different than yours. As someone who lives in Silicon Valley, I wish there were more people who share Steve's sort of worldview, not yours.

Not every decision on this planet should be made based on cost effectiveness or maximum usage of resources.

Having all the extra space and landscape make it a much more place to work, a more pleasing site for neighbors. Clearly, you don't get it.

It's one of the great tragedies of the world that post-war architecture is so ugly, almost universally. Cities are especially affected.

Go to some lovely old Cathedral city like Rouen in France or Venice in Italy, and you find them brimming over with beauty. It seems that visual attractiveness has no place in modern architecture, which is its greatest failing.

We think we're progressive and that everything gets better over time, but architecture is the most visible proof that that isn't the case. Music is another powerful example.

The new Apple Campus building is not attractive, but at least it isn't yet another bland skyscraper or office block, it is on a human scale, and it is surrounded by trees, so I thank Steve Jobs for changing the direction of commercial architecture for the better. There is also an element of fun in its giant circle. One step at a time.

The Victorians knew a thing or two about aesthetics. The sewage works in London are a feast for the eyes—a sewage works! Their care for detail reminds me of carpenters beautifying the back of wardrobes that are never seen, or Ive carefully crafting the inside of an iPhone for no other reason than he cares.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's one of the great tragedies of the world that post-war architecture is so ugly, almost universally.

The fact that they bastardized the City Palace makes my blood boil.

• Reply 45 of 61
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm not exactly an environmentalist, but I think that all of the trees around Apple's new spaceship HQ is pretty nice.

They should make a small lake or something in the middle, and there can be fish swimming around too.

Who says that every square foot of a property must be covered in concrete or used to put a building on?

Somebody mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I too look forward to watching the documentary on the building of the new Apple HQ on Discovery or some similar channel in a few years time. 

• Reply 46 of 61
    solipsismy wrote: »

1) I can't possibly see how anyone can look at the original HP campus and then at the latest images from March 2015 and think they've "barely [gotten] started."

2) Apple gave clear timelines for different aspects of the project. What do you see that shows they are not on schedule?

You name it, or just read anything posted by [@]Benjamin Frost[/@], [@]Mac_128[/@], or others that constantly tell tales of how Apple's current move is evidence of the company's imminent collapse.

1) Nice Gantt chart! I had not seen that before. Perhaps I am wrong. We'll see.

2) I honestly don't get why people pay so much attention to -- and feel the need to respond to -- their negative postings. I think that this is all nothing but good for Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    1) Nice Gantt chart! I had not seen that before. Perhaps I am wrong. We'll see.

This isn't about being right or wrong. You may be right, and it seems like every major construction project has set backs, but what I'm curious about is why you feel or know it's behind schedule at this point.
    2) I honestly don't get why people pay so much attention to -- and feel the need to respond to -- their negative postings.

I've had to block both of them but I still see what they wrote when others reply to them.
    I think that this is all nothing but good for Apple.

I feel my comment isn't being understood. I don't see anythjng but an upward projection for Apple, but my feelings on this matter about an unwritten future aren't fact. My point is that there are key moments that set demarcation points in our mind. I think thre scale of the new campus will be one of those points. For instance, it cod be common to think in 20 years, "As soon as that campus was build Apple [insert positive or negative statement].
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's one of the great tragedies of the world that post-war architecture is so ugly, almost universally. Cities are especially affected.

Go to some lovely old Cathedral city like Rouen in France or Venice in Italy, and you find them brimming over with beauty. It seems that visual attractiveness has no place in modern architecture, which is its greatest failing.

You are referring to a landmark that was primarily built well before the industrial age. Churches, in particular, didn't buy the land they built on. They were given it or just took it. That and the moneys and the means to construct them, as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The new Apple Campus building is not attractive,…

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Unfortunately, many of the eyes here are anatomically incorrect, i.e., they are approximately 2-3 feet south of where they should be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

The Victorians knew a thing or two about aesthetics. The sewage works in London are a feast for the eyes—a sewage works! Their care for detail reminds me of carpenters beautifying the back of wardrobes that are never seen, or Ive carefully crafting the inside of an iPhone for no other reason than he cares.

True, but not really. That was the way things were built in the 1800's. And let's face it. A lot of people died to get the Works built in the first place.

• Reply 49 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Because it looks like its barely getting started? I expected much more progress by now.

so...you're in the construction business? if not i can't imagine how you could put much stock in your own opinion of construction progress as seen in photos on a rumors site.

• Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jonaspeter1 View Post

As much as this is a fantastic piece of architecture, and, as much as i applaud apple for its' green initiatives, I feel that the building and the other facilities are a huge waste of space being surrounded by bush. I have no doubt that they are doing this on expensive real estate and the whole development site resembles a forest a lot more then it does a state-of-the-art technology building....

what on earth are you trying to say?

• Reply 51 of 61
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I'm not sure what hidden meaning is in your message, but I hope you do get the chance one day. You can be assured that Apple will be offering public tours of the new facility since it is a world landmark development. 

theres no assurance of that whatsoever.

• Reply 52 of 61
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member

Boy, its very easy to lose sense of the scale of this project - when I pause the video at certain points and look for people on the site, their relation to the ring is amazing:

There's a person near that white vehicle in the center...

While I'm sure they will locate groups logically vertically and horizontally around the ring, it may Tim all day to do a walk through and say hi. I wonder if there any people-moving concepts that will be put in play, other than long walks through the courtyard.

And I vote that you drop the music...yeesh...

• Reply 53 of 61
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I could be wrong about this, but from the picture, doesn't it look like there's a lot more foundation and framing left? It looks to me like only one small slice of it has been done.

If you look at a screen grab, it appears the entire foundation is done, and they are already one their way building the first levels on it in various sections:

• Reply 54 of 61
    thrang wrote: »
    Boy, its very easy to lose sense of the scale of this project

when I pause the video at certain points and look for people on the site, their relation to the ring is amazing

Yep... the scale is immense. The center ring is over 1,100 feet across. That's almost 4 football fields across (American football)

And if you were to walk around the outer perimeter of the building... it would be 9/10 of a mile :wow:

She's a big'n
  • Reply 55 of 61
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yep... the scale is immense. The center ring is over 1,100 feet across. That's almost 4 football fields across (American football)

And if you were to walk around the outer perimeter of the building... it would be 9/10 of a mile image

She's a big'n

Got a feeling there will be a 1 mile path around it :-). Maybe have a race around it to see if someone can do it under 4 minutes ;-).

• Reply 56 of 61
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Got a feeling there will be a 1 mile path around it :-). Maybe have a race around it to see if someone can do it under 4 minutes ;-).

Based on this rendering it looks like there could be.

• Reply 57 of 61
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Am I logged in
  • Reply 58 of 61
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Am I logged in

Yes
  • Reply 59 of 61
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

As an european the non-usage of tower cranes looks strange.

Here in Europe big construction sites look like this.

As tower cranes are the most efficient cranes why aren't they used in California? Legal restraints?

I'm not an expert, but I believe mobile cranes are more flexible, cheaper, and easier to set up, especially on a site like this where the building is relatively low and spread out. In the city, there is often no room to put a mobile crane, while a tower crane can be built inside an elevator shaft, can reach all areas of the site, and can be used for the duration of construction. Obviously it's the best choice in such a case.

This said, I have found Europeans to be comparatively obsessed with tower cranes to the extent that people rent diminutive versions of them for projects in the yard (like say, putting in a patio.) We don't even have this option in the US (as far as I know) and would typically use other tools like small excavators, wheelbarrows, or simple muscle and elbow grease to do the job.  Again, perhaps this is because things tend to be more crowded in Europe and americans have more room or alley access that europeans don't have. Believe me, if I had the opportunity to rent the sort of small, human powered tower cranes that I've seen used in british home improvement shows, I would. It would be total, geeky, fun.

• Reply 60 of 61
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Laying the foundation and doing the framing are huge parts of the project that must be done carefully and correctly. With that done, quite often the rest comes together more quickly. In this case, they will have learned a great deal about the best approach to the process and can rinse-and-repeat until the entire frame is done to the required standards.

Cement work is the big factor. It's slow work that, as is often said, "has to be done three times." 1.) excavation, form building, and placement of reinforcing, 2.) actual pouring and curing, and 3.) removal of forms and further curing.

The framing is more exacting than for a house, but on the other hand the parts custom made and ready to assemble. So the framing and fitting goes relatively quickly. A job like this is one huge logistics project!