Samsung Galaxy S6 comes with 56 apps preinstalled, including Instagram & Microsoft OneDrive

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Look at these ridiculous prices of these crapware filled phones

Pricing:

• Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92

• Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99

• Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99

• Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76

• Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83

• Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/26/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-us-pricing-and-availability/

Utter POS and cost more than iPhone?  They will probably sell as much as they can the first few weeks to the hopeless android nerds and then do BOGO deals after that.

Yes how right you are.

They will be equal prices to Apple's iPhone6 initially,

then surprisingly soon their down payment on a carrier plan will drop very fast.

Good for Samsung though, they need to copy the best in an attempt to recover from their very low and fast dropping profits.

• Reply 22 of 101
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Samsung is sliding downhill quickly and not even trying to hit the brakes. Oh well.

• Reply 23 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    richl wrote: »
    It would be great if we could hide pre-installed apps on iOS. My Apple folder is full!
    Really? What are you hiding and what are you replacing them with?
  • Reply 24 of 101
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I may be stating the obvious...but Samsung, Google, and MS seem to be always "playing catchup." And end-up producing harried, hodge-podge, clunky sw and hardware.

They need to take a deep breath and start planning a "best in class" product in each of their product lines...or not.

Yep, I just stated the obvious.

Obvious yes, easy no.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

For all of Samsung's propaganda about paring down the useless features, they give it all back by inviting third-parties to stuff the GS6 with adware. If Whatsapp indeed requires access to your contacts just to delete the app, that says all that needs to be said about how Samsung views its customers and their privacy.

Quote:

Look at these ridiculous prices of these crapware filled phones

Pricing:

• Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92

• Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99

• Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99

• Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76

• Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83

• Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/26/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-us-pricing-and-availability/

Utter POS and cost more than iPhone?  They will probably sell as much as they can the first few weeks to the hopeless android nerds and then do BOGO deals after that.

The base mode GS6 at least gets 32 GB of storage for that $660 asking price (much needed because of how much additional crapware Samsung already adds to Android before they even get to these new preinstalled third party apps).

But, all of the other configurations cost $10 to $110 more for an equivalent iPhone 6. I guess this is the built-in cost of the BOGO offers that past history suggests will start right around the launch date.

• Reply 26 of 101
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

...uh...why do these iPhones say "Samsung" across the top???

Well the Samsung visual copies of the Apple  iPhone caught your eye as well !

I'm wondering if that is better advertising for Apple, rather than for Samsung.

• Reply 27 of 101
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I don't follow. Why not create a folder called "Hide", drag and drop all the apps you don't want into it, and put it on Page N+1 where N is number of active pages with folders/apps you actually use?

(I see that Cpsro posted something similar above).

I think he does - he puts them in an 'Apple folder'. Not sure what he puts in it as a folder can take a lot of apps. :no:
  • Reply 28 of 101
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    satchmo wrote: »
    I still can't believe the uncanny resemblance of this phone to the iPhone 6/6plus.
    How can the design lead at Samsung even look at himself in the mirror.

He uses a Factime camera, not a mirror.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Having a home page to "hide" a folder is still terribad.

The S6 comes with 56 apps total or 56 3rd party apps? The iphone 6 has 40-42 preinstalled apps.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

It would be great if we could hide pre-installed apps on iOS. My Apple folder is full!

I know - I really don't have any use for Newstand or the Watch app.  It would be nice if I could just delete them and reinstall later if I choose.  Kinda baffling that Apple forces you to keep them.  I know you can throw them in a folder, but still.

• Reply 31 of 101
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Same with me too. I don't use about three-quarters of Apple's apps.

On another subject give Samsung its due, yes it copies a lot of Apple's ideas, yes TouchWiz is crapola and yes their stuffing their latest with bloatware. But the S6 and especially the Edge version are still very desirable phones. Their quality feel now on par with Apple, they're better looking and spec-wise they leave the iPhone 6 in their wake by a considerable margin...but then the 6S arriving in the Fall will probably narrow the spec gap I suppose. As for me I'm going to wait for the iPhone 7 in 2016, I've never really warmed to the iPhone 6 design, my 5S just feels to me like a more premium product...less jelly mouldy.

• Reply 32 of 101
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thought I'd heard that too. I guess Sammy changed their mind, and not a wise choice IMHO.

EDIT: According to the source article "the bloatware doesn't take up that much room; not more than 100 MB or so as far as I can tell.".

I find that hard to believe.

I've just read an article in Dutch saying that all 3rd party apps together take up 880 MB, which if confirmed, definitely sucks

The fact that one can disable and hide these apps is on the other hand quite nice. I would not mind that Apple was copying this behaviour, because on my iPhone with iOS 8.2 I currently have 13 Apple apps, that I never use and that I would love to remove from the home screens.

• Reply 33 of 101
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

The S6 comes with 56 apps total or 56 3rd party apps? The iphone 6 has 40-42 preinstalled apps.

I only count 35 on my 6 plus, and some of those I don't consider "apps", such as Settings.  Some of them are absolutely necessary, such as Contacts, Passbook, Camera, Photos, etc.  There are only 9 of them that I don't actually use very much.

• Reply 34 of 101
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    I know other's here have said the same, but the resemblance of those shit phones pictured to the iPhone 6 / 6+ are unbelievable and shameful.

Also, just because you can "hide" an app, doesn't negate the fact it's still present, and taking up space in, the device storage. Previously I heard the extra apps would be additional downloads that would be marketed to the owner of the device, and not be pre-installed at time of purchase. Seems that Scamsung once again lied, and shoved this boatload of shit down the gullible consumers' throat.

To those here posting they try to avoid using the iOS built-in apps, sorry but that's a rather foolish thing to do, especially when viewed thru the security spectrum. Whilst apps from other developers may well be better in functionality and features than Apple's own, the security of these apps has been shown on numerous occasions to violate many privacy laws, and be vulnerable to several hacking schemes. At least with the iOS apps, you're assured they will be secure, and if a vulnerability is found, Apple will fix it. Take the recently released (and condemned) Microsoft Outlook app, it took your content and credentials out to their servers, and even after you removed your account from the app, MS servers continued to have access to your content unless you changed your passwords!!!

I ONLY trust the iOS built-in apps for their categories, and honestly, they work very well for the majority of users.
  • Reply 35 of 101
    1983 wrote: »

Same with me too. I don't use about three-quarters of Apple's apps.

On another subject give Samsung its due, yes it copies a lot of Apple's ideas, yes TouchWiz is crapola and yes their stuffing their latest with bloatware. But the S6 and especially the Edge version are still very desirable phones. Their quality feel now on par with Apple, they're better looking and spec-wise they leave the iPhone 6 in their wake by a considerable margin...but then the 6S arriving in the Fall will probably narrow the spec gap I suppose. As for me I'm going to wait for the iPhone 7 in 2016, I've never really warmed to the iPhone 6 design, my 5S just feels to me like a more premium product...less jelly mouldy.

There is NOTHING desirable in a copy-cat, "me too" product, that happens to run a horrid OS (Android), is loaded with shitloads of bloatware, has security issues galore, and bleeds everything you do to those mighty overseers at Google and the NSA.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    kevliu1980 wrote: »

I agree. That's why I put them all on the second (/third, etc...) page of my utilities folder. I never even know they're there.
    goofy1958 wrote: »

I only count 35 on my 6 plus, and some of those I don't consider "apps", such as Settings.  Some of them are absolutely necessary, such as Contacts, Passbook, Camera, Photos, etc.  There are only 9 of them that I don't actually use very much.

Actually, I never understood why they added a contacts app to the iPhone. On the original iPhone you just go to the contacts section of the phone app. That's still what I do today.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I get why some core apps are not deletable on iOS. Accidental deletes happen. Not everyone goes to the App Store. Not everyone has a constant network connection. But third party apps should be deletable.
  • Reply 38 of 101
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

There is NOTHING desirable in a copy-cat, "me too" product, that happens to run a horrid OS (Android), is loaded with shitloads of bloatware, has security issues galore, and bleeds everything you do to those mighty overseers at Google and the NSA.

Quote:

How do you know? Did you actually hold the phones?

The S6 does not leave the iPhone6 in its wake. Total BS.

According to early benchmarks they are pretty much equals:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9111/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-preview

But then with Android+Touch Wiz the iPhone6 is probably still faster in real world use

You're entitled to your opinions as I am to mine. To sog35 when I said leaves it in its wake, I didn't mean speed I meant in overall specification. As for holding the phones, I haven't yet, but a metal and glass construction executed well is not going to feel cheap. Samsung's plastic premium phones while ugly still feel very solid. The premium materials used on the S6/Edge will probably continue that tradition. But competition is good for everybody, it means Apple will probably redefine the industry again when the next-gen iPhone 7 is released.

• Reply 39 of 101
    1983 wrote: »

You're entitled to your opinions as I am to mine.
    The way you wrote your post, it was expressing facts about specs and quality of the S6 vs the 6/6+, that wasn't written as an opinion.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Actually, I never understood why they added a contacts app to the iPhone. On the original iPhone you just go to the contacts section of the phone app. That's still what I do today.

Not everyone uses the phone as their primary way of communicating. The Contacts app saves the extra step if you're texting or e-mailing someone. Contacts also stores the snail mail, FaceTime, and other social media links. I don't think I've ever accessed contacts within the Phone app. I just go to the Contacts app first, no matter if I'm calling, texting, e-mailing, or FaceTiming someone.