Samsung Galaxy S6 comes with 56 apps preinstalled, including Instagram & Microsoft OneDrive

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    magman1979 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING desirable in a copy-cat, "me too" product, that happens to run a horrid OS (Android), is loaded with shitloads of bloatware, has security issues galore, and bleeds everything you do to those mighty overseers at Google and the NSA.

Come on, it's comments like this that destroy credibility. Have you tried or held it? I doubt it's as good a package for most users vs the iphone 6 but there's enough smoke to support that it's quite an impressive kit.

If everyone used the same thing, how dull would it be.
  • Reply 62 of 101
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    kevliu1980 wrote: »
    Come on, it's comments like this that destroy credibility. Have you tried or held it? I doubt it's as good a package for most users vs the iphone 6 but there's enough smoke to support that it's quite an impressive kit.

If everyone used the same thing, how dull would it be.
    That statement just showed yourself as someone who doesn't mind buying crappy knock-offs like the S6, which is all it is. Is ANYTHING I said in my statement NOT true? It's a horrid OS, has tons of security issues (some even uncovered just today), comes with craploads of bloatware, and is a gem for the NSA and Google to harvest user data from.
  • Reply 63 of 101
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

What extra step? The contacts app is literally exactly the same as the phone app except it has the keypad, favorites, recents, and voicemail tabs removed. It adds zero extra functionality; it only duplicates functionality.

In fact, I just tried a spotlight search for a contact, and when I selected one it launched the phone app rather than the contacts app.

If I'm not making a call, it's an extra step to open the phone app first in order to access my contacts. All of that extra functionality you cite is superfluous if I just want to e-mail or text somebody, or get directions to their home or office. For me, it makes more intuitive sense to have Contacts as a separate app, since over 90% of the time, I'm not looking somebody up in order to call them.

• Reply 64 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noivad View Post

When I see this, I think of the fact that Apple is also guilty of this (as mentioned), and at least 1/4 of the 16GB model’s storage is dedicated to iOS and its non-essential apps. I counted 26 apps I could do without. Of the 31 non-removable apps, I counted Setting, Messages, Contacts, Phone & App Store as essential. I use other apps that replace Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Maps, Notes, Reminders, Safari & Weather, and I wish I could map the alternate apps I use as the default. If they allowed users to remove apps, such as those I never use, like Apple Watch, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Health, iBooks, iTunes Store, Maps, Newsstand, Notes, Podcasts, Passbook, Reminders, Stocks, Tips, Videos and Voice Memos; then maybe the default footprint would be less. However, this might be good news for the next iPhones & iPads:

Considering that Samsung’s flagship base model starts at 32GB, this might encourage Apple to upgrade their base models to 32GB too if Samsung makes a stink about it — I hope they do. Why? It seems that Apple is only making significant hardware improvements to one up competitors when they lag behind so they appear to laymen as competitive. The funny thing is iOS is leaps and bounds superior to Android thanks to its Frameworks and APIs that make banging out apps child’s play for anyone with a bit of programming knowledge. If you don’t believe me check out what has to be done to add accessibility options to Android Apps vs. iOS apps.

The big difference is that many of the apps that Samsung pre-installs will duplicate the functions already built into the Google Android OS installation. Instead of having one built-in app for music or photos and other functions, you end up with both Google AND Samsung's apps installed by default. And on the S6, even if you "remove" an app, that merely deactivates the app and does not free up any storage space in many cases.

You're citing the lack of free space left over on an iPhone. Yet, on the 16 GB Galaxy S5, more than half of the total storage space was used by the OS and pre-installed apps.

• Reply 65 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    noivad wrote: »
    When I see this, I think of the fact that Apple is also guilty of this (as mentioned), and at least 1/4 of the 16GB model’s storage is dedicated to iOS and its non-essential apps. I counted 26 apps I could do without. Of the 31 non-removable apps, I counted Setting, Messages, Contacts, Phone & App Store as essential. I use other apps that replace Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Mail, Maps, Notes, Reminders, Safari & Weather, and I wish I could map the alternate apps I use as the default. If they allowed users to remove apps, such as those I never use, like Apple Watch, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Health, iBooks, iTunes Store, Maps, Newsstand, Notes, Podcasts, Passbook, Reminders, Stocks, Tips, Videos and Voice Memos; then maybe the default footprint would be less. However, this might be good news for the next iPhones & iPads:

Again that's you. We aren't typical users. Then again, I use many of those apps. They work for me.

Pretend a mom accidentally deletes her camera app. Later, When she tries to take a pic of her child's first step, no camera. Who does she blame? Apple.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Really? What are you hiding and what are you replacing them with?

In my Apple folder of uselessness is: Passbook (not widely supported in the UK outside of airports), Game Center, iBooks (prefer my Kindle), Stocks, Maps (prefer Google Maps), Newsstand, Health, Podcasts (prefer Downcast) and Tips (I'm already an iPhone expert! :p).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Why not create a folder called "Hide", drag and drop all the apps you don't want into it, and put it on Page N+1 where N is number of active pages with folders/apps you actually use?

Because I like things neat and tidy? 

• Reply 67 of 101
    richl wrote: »

Because I like things neat and tidy? 

Well, then you do have a problem, don't you.

I've got a suggestion: try a Windows phone. Apparently they have a lot of neat and tidy tiles.
  • Reply 68 of 101
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Look at these ridiculous prices of these crapware filled phones

Pricing:

• Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92

• Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99

• Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99

• Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76

• Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83

• Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/26/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-us-pricing-and-availability/

Utter POS and cost more than iPhone?  They will probably sell as much as they can the first few weeks to the hopeless android nerds and then do BOGO deals after that.

is it more expensive?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199/

• Reply 69 of 101
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Well, then you do have a problem, don't you.

I've got a suggestion: try a Windows phone. Apparently they have a lot of neat and tidy tiles.

Yes, I'm really going to ditch my iPhone over one relatively minor complaint. 

• Reply 70 of 101
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

I can't wait for the S6 and S6 edge to be released, this is Samsung's last throw of the dice and if it fails to halt the decline, then it will send them into a high quality phone tailspin. While they have successfully copied a cursory appearance of the iPhone, potential customers will be aware of glass instead of metal and they other design ugliness like their logo staring at you all the time, to realise that this is just another expensive with crappy android software. I predict that it will be a lukewarm failure.

• Reply 71 of 101
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Utter POS and cost more than iPhone?  They will probably sell as much as they can the first few weeks to the hopeless android nerds and then do BOGO deals after that.

What's the betting that it's BOGO from day one? Just like the S5 !

• Reply 72 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by revenant View Post

Quote:

Look at these ridiculous prices of these crapware filled phones

Pricing:

• Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92

• Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99

• Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99

• Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76

• Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83

• Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/26/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-us-pricing-and-availability/

is it more expensive?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-much-does-an-iphone-6-really-cost-hint-its-way-more-than-199/

Well, maxed-out iPhone 6 is $849 (128 GB, unlocked). And, yes - more than $199.

But less than the $859.99 price listed above for the S6.

The iPhone 6+ is more expensive, as is the S6 Edge. Same situation applies - iPhone is slightly less expensive.

• Reply 73 of 101
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    woochifer wrote: »
    If I'm not making a call, it's an extra step to open the phone app first in order to access my contacts. All of that extra functionality you cite is superfluous if I just want to e-mail or text somebody, or get directions to their home or office. For me, it makes more intuitive sense to have Contacts as a separate app, since over 90% of the time, I'm not looking somebody up in order to call them.

Launching the phone app vs launching the contacts app isn't an extra step. It's a different step that takes an identical amount of effort to achieve the same result.
  • Reply 74 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

...uh...why do these iPhones say "Samsung" across the top???

So the lawyer can see it at fifteen paces and tell the Judge that he/she can differentiate between the two. 

As Samsung's lawyer was famously unable to do at trial.

• Reply 75 of 101
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    josha wrote: »

Well the Samsung visual copies of the Apple  iPhone caught your eye as well !
    I'm wondering if that is better advertising for Apple, rather than for Samsung.

I'm going to start defacing samsungs posters by striking out Samsung and Galaxy and replacing with Apple iPhone! Might even start a trend
  • Reply 76 of 101
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    plovell wrote: »
    The Galaxy s5 market is already saturated. Any one who already has one is not going to get another after only a year. Don't be silly. After all what is the trade in value of an s5 . Oh dear And remember all those 2 for 1 deals, even my dawg traded his crappy s5 in for an iPhone. Too little too late Samsung. Apple gotcha this time and this is simply desperation!
  • Reply 77 of 101
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

I know - I really don't have any use for Newstand or the Watch app.  It would be nice if I could just delete them and reinstall later if I choose.  Kinda baffling that Apple forces you to keep them.  I know you can throw them in a folder, but still.

Since most of them rely on highly integrated services, the apps merely being light weight front end to them, I'm guessing Apple doesn't really see the point of not putting them on. You'd probably only save 100MB if they weren't there.

• Reply 78 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by plovell View Post

The Galaxy s5 market is already saturated. Any one who already has one is not going to get another after only a year. Don't be silly. After all what is the trade in value of an s5 . Oh dear

I guess I need to be REALLY REALLY explicit. So here goes ...

What's the betting that the Galaxy S6 will be BOGO from day one ?  Just like the Galaxy S5 was (BOGO from day one) ?

• Reply 79 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Launching the phone app vs launching the contacts app isn't an extra step. It's a different step that takes an identical amount of effort to achieve the same result.

Launch Phone app, tap "Contacts" tab to view contacts = two steps

Launch Contacts app to view contacts = one step

Like I said, it's simply counterintuitive to launch a phone app if I simply want to find someone's address or contact them by text or FaceTime them. And why should accessing contacts work differently with my iPhone compared to our iPads and iPod touches? Sounds like you got used to one way of doing something, and now presume that it should be the only way.

• Reply 80 of 101
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    woochifer wrote: »
    Launch Phone app, tap "Contacts" tab to view contacts = two steps
    Launch Contacts app to view contacts = one step

Like I said, it's simply counterintuitive to launch a phone app if I simply want to find someone's address or contact them by text or FaceTime them. And why should accessing contacts work differently with my iPhone compared to our iPads and iPod touches? Sounds like you got used to one way of doing something, and now presume that it should be the only way.

The app opens on the last open tab, so if you don't primarily use the phone,as you claim to do, it will open on the contacts page. Regardless, the most logical and probably easiest way to use contacts is to launch whatever app (messages, email, whatever) and type the name in.

My original point was that contacts can hardly be called absolutely essential (as was claimed by the person I originally quoted). This point is, I think, proven by the fact that the original iPhone didn't have it, it's functionality is completely present within the phone app, and finally to this day the iPhone still defaults to the phone app when it needs to pull up contact information (through spotlight for example).