JP Morgan predicts Apple will stick with LCD, not OLED, for 'iPhone 7'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Do we know what type of OLED technology ?Watch is using? is it similae to the Samsung Galaxy displays? I'm hearing that the display on the GS6 is fantastic.

Outside of the obvious AMOLED, no.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

A lot of the complaints about LCD blacks date back to the old days, back when plasma was still big. They're much better now.

I get the feeling the watch is a testbed of things to come to other Apple products. We're already seeing force touch and taptic engine with the new MacBook. I won't be surprised if that eventually comes to iOS devices. Who knows maybe digital touch will eventually end up on iOS devices too. Ive's New Yorker comments clearly seem to indicate he feels some of the current iPhone tech/UI is stale. Now that there's one human interface team under him and they work out of the same studio as the industrial design shop I wonder what changes we'll see in the future. I'm not expecting much for iOS 9 as it's rumored to be a stability and bug fix year. But I'm curious what iOS 10 will bring.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I get the feeling the watch is a testbed of things to come to other Apple products. We're already seeing force touch and taptic engine with the new MacBook. I won't be surprised if that eventually comes to iOS devices. Who knows maybe digital touch will eventually end up on iOS devices too. Ive's New Yorker comments clearly seem to indicate he feels some of the current iPhone tech/UI is stale. Now that there's one human interface team under him and they work out of the same studio as the industrial design shop I wonder what changes we'll see in the future. I'm not expecting much for iOS 9 as it's rumored to be a stability and bug fix year. But I'm curious what iOS 10 will bring.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple maintains the traditional "four updates per device" or not. If they do, iOS 10 would be the final update for the A7 devices. Going to A8 and higher would mean they could leverage TouchID better.

• Reply 24 of 84
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

You can bet the biggest makers of OLEDs, Samsung and LG, ask Apple to pay a hefty premium for their OLEDs. However, LCDs continue to improve and current iPhone LCDs are excellent. OLEDs can still be a little bit better, just not with the default color profile Samsung chooses for its devices, to appeal to 2-year olds.

• Reply 25 of 84
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    To me it all dependes on if Force Touch requires oled?...
    Force Touch is going to be on iPhones and ipads.. Sooner than later !
  • Reply 26 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    And those deeper blacks are great, but I'd rather have slightly reduced blacks from the start than horribly inaccurate blues because the OLEDs have worn out by the time my 2 year contract is up. My guess with ?Watch is it'll all replaceable.

That's the thing, we don't hear about OLED color loss over time in real-world use because that would require honest observations from Samsung owners who are still using two-year-old phones.

Will Raymond "Sammy" Soneira of DisplayMate, the one who rates the Galaxies as having the best screens ever, address this long-term issue? I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: thinking about it, maybe he already has, but I haven't waded through his messed-up website enough to have seen it. It would be a simple matter of plugging a phone in and playing movies on it 24 hours a day to compress years of ordinary use into a shorter time. Anyone know?
  • Reply 27 of 84
    flaneur wrote: »
    That's the thing, we don't hear about OLED color loss over time in real-world use because that would require honest observations from Samsung owners who are still using two-year-old phones.

Will Raymond "Sammy" Soneira of DisplayMate, the one who rates the Galaxies as having the best screens ever, address this long-term issue? I'm not holding my breath.

The only way this ever gets honestly addressed is if Apple moves the iPhone to OLED. Then it instantly becomes important how OLED pixel quality fades.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

You can bet the biggest makers of OLEDs, Samsung and LG, ask Apple to pay a hefty premium for their OLEDs. However, LCDs continue to improve and current iPhone LCDs are excellent. OLEDs can still be a little bit better, just not with the default color profile Samsung chooses for its devices, to appeal to 2-year olds.

This is pretty much it. OLEDs are better than LCDs in almost every way. Also samsung screws them up with their calibration.

• Reply 29 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

To me it all dependes on if Force Touch requires oled?...

Force Touch is going to be on iPhones and ipads.. Sooner than later !

And Samsung and LG won't be the only major OLED suppliers in town either.

• Reply 30 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

This is pretty much it. OLEDs are better than LCDs in almost every way, except samsung screws them up with their calibration.

One exception to OLED > LCD may be when displaying a mostly light image. LCDs consume their least power for white images, whereas OLEDs consume their least with black.

• Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

One exception to OLED > LCD may be when displaying a mostly light image. LCDs consume their least power for white images, whereas OLEDs consume their least with black.

Fixed my original post to more clearly say what I intended. I meant that they are better in almost every way AND samesung uses crappy calibration as a default.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S6_ShootOut_1.htm

Looks to me that Max power consumption seems to be very similar on modern LCDs and AMOLEDS given screen size.

• Reply 32 of 84
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    The only way this ever gets honestly addressed is if Apple moves the iPhone to OLED. Then it instantly becomes important how OLED pixel quality fades.

Well done. See my edit above, also.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

While not exactly scientific it has been done before:

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/20372_Do_AMOLED_phone_screens_degrad.php

I can imagine that newer generation AMOLED is a bit better.

• Reply 34 of 84
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

BREAKING: APPLE TO CONTINUE TO CALL THEIR TELEPHONE “IPHONE”

• Reply 35 of 84
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    JP Morgan owes billions in fraud for piss poor mortgage lending.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

And those deeper blacks are great, but I'd rather have slightly reduced blacks from the start than horribly inaccurate blues because the OLEDs have worn out by the time my 2 year contract is up. My guess with ?Watch is it'll all replaceable.

Blues worn out in 2 years you say.  Here is a 5year old Samsung OLED:

• Reply 37 of 84
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

This is pretty much it. OLEDs are better than LCDs in almost every way. Also samsung screws them up with their calibration.

Yes, but if you go into the settings and choose the professional photo mode the colours are as accurate as an iPhone 6, so you are looking a bit desperate there.

Quote:

Speaking of displays, Samsung has integrated an incredible display into both versions of the Galaxy S6. I’m really blown away at how far AMOLED has come in the past few years, as the Galaxy S6 is one of the best displays we’ve tested for luminance and overall color accuracy.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9111/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-preview/3

• Reply 38 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

said who? Samantha Sung?

Unless you have both OLED and LCD next to each other, you can't tell the difference. iPhone 6/6+ have better color accuracy than OLED on Samsung Note 4 while of course OLED has better contrast ratio.

• Reply 39 of 84
    cnocbui wrote: »

Blues worn out in 2 years you say.  Here is a 5year old Samsung OLED:

[image]

1) It's based on usage. I hope you're TV viewing habits aren't the same as the typical habits of how we use smartphones. I'd image the viewing time on a watch should be considerably lower than a consumer TV, which should be considerably lower than a smartphone.

2) Accuracy is the keyword. Last I read the blue in OLED has about a 14,000 life before being considered worn out but one study found that "after 1,000 hours the blue luminance degraded by 12%, the red by 7% and the green by 8%." 1000 hours isn'a lot for a phone and I would imagine anything Apple would use would fare better, but for a heavy use case like a smartphone or traditional "PC" I simply can't see it being used.

• Reply 40 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Yes, but if you go into the settings and choose the professional photo mode the colours are as accurate as an iPhone 6, so you are looking a bit desperate there.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9111/samsung-galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-preview/3

I'm sure some will say Anandtech is in the pocket of Samsung now. :p