Google, Johnson & Johnson to partner on surgical robot technology

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2015
Google has formed a partnership with medical and consumer goods firm Johnson & Johnson that will see the development of robots to help surgeons in the operating room, according to an announcement made on Friday.

Johnson & Johsnon said that the deal should be completed in the second quarter, but is still awaiting a review by antitrust regulators. Google will specifically be working with Ethicon, a J&J division dedicated to surgical technology.

In particular the robots will help with minimally invasive surgeries that limit problems like scarring, pain, and lengthy recoveries. The Wall Street Journal reported that Google will be bringing machine vision and image analysis software to the table, with the aim of giving surgeons a better view of operations and/or easier access to relevant information.

One possibility suggested by Google was real-time image analysis, highlighting objects like nerves, blood vessels, and tumors that need to be removed. In another, the company noted that surgeons might be able to see images like MRI scans and anatomical guides on the same screen they're using to control a robot, rather than on several different displays.

Google began taking steps into the medical world last year when it launched its Google Genomics division. That unit has created an API for storing, processing, and sharing DNA sequencing using Google's cloud infrastructure, and is charging $25 per year to store a genome.

Apple is also venturing into medical technology, with recent efforts revolving around two iOS APIs, HealthKit and ResearchKit. The former centralizes health and fitness data in iOS 8's Health app, while ResearchKit is an open-source framework for iOS-supported medical trials.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member

Intuitive Surgical has been doing this with their da Vinci series of robotic systems for years now...and quite successfully.

• Reply 2 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Just ask if that robot is running the latest version of Android before you go under the knife...

• Reply 3 of 37
    Google??? That's stupid choice. Storage all of patient info like this isn't good idea. Tons of Google products is full of malware. And Google use this to selling the advertisements to doctor and I'm sure probably Google will show the ad's in vision while dr doing the procedures. J&J make big mistake by make partner with Google. J&J should partner with Apple instead.. I'm sorry, but, English is not my primary language American Sign Language is.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

Google??? That's stupid choice. Storage all of patient info like this isn't good idea. Tons of Google products is full of malware. And Google use this to selling the advertisements to doctor and I'm sure probably Google will show the ad's in vision while dr doing the procedures. J&J make big mistake by make partner with Google. J&J should partner with Apple instead..

Google owns a whole lot of robot technology thanks to the acquisitions spearheaded by former employee Andy Rubin. Apple owns no robot IP (patents), as far as I know.

• Reply 5 of 37
    Just imagine the pharmaceutical ads they will be able to target to you once they know what genetic medical conditions you are pre-disposed to getting.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Great, ads on my internal organs.
  • Reply 7 of 37

On the side bar as you're checking your gmail..

"Did you know that the cat gut stitches used in your appendectomy will dissolve after 2-3 weeks!? Order our wound stabilization kit today for %50 off!"

"Is your uterus prolapsing.. again!? Studies show that the vaginal mesh used in your surgery has been implicated in several lawsuits. Call John T. Lawyer today to sue the pants off your doctors!"

Seriously though, what qualifies google to collaborate on robotic surgery; because they bought a robotic dog company and have a few manufacturing patents? They don't even now what their plan is apparently. Maybe some image processing, maybe providing "easier access to relevant information," whatever that means. What a joke.

• Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

This heart transplant sponsored by Lipitor.®

• Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

"Did you know that the cat gut stitches used in your appendectomy will dissolve after 2-3 weeks!? Order our wound stabilization kit today for %50 off!"

"Is your uterus prolapsing.. again!? Studies show that the vaginal mesh used in your surgery has been implicated in several lawsuits. Call John T. Lawyer today to sue the pants off your doctors!"

Seriously though, what qualifies google to collaborate on robotic surgery; because they bought a robotic dog company and have a few manufacturing patents? They don't even now what their plan is apparently. Maybe some image processing, maybe providing "easier access to relevant information," whatever that means. What a joke.

It's astounding how disorganized and confused most companies look from the outside. They must be complete zoos on the inside.

• Reply 10 of 37

Does this company have a strategy?

If so, someone please enlighten me on what it is...

• Reply 11 of 37
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Keeps them in the news- the same motivation they have for all their haphazard, pie in the sky, poorly thought out projects. 

• Reply 12 of 37
    That reminds me of this:
  • Reply 13 of 37
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    Intuitive Surgical has been doing this with their da Vinci series of robotic systems for years now...and quite successfully.

Gotta look like their singularity AI crap is being utilized for the shareholders. Don't want to admit that giving Kurzweil and Stanford a bunch of cash isn't just posturing.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    <p>Does this company have a strategy?</p><p> </p><p>If so, someone please enlighten me on what it is...</p>

Get sued for medical malpractice, lawyer up, tell the jury that Google does no evil, beat malpractice suit, Fandroids attack malpractice victims online.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

Tragic on some many levels - an evil ad company panicking for good PR.

"Google has lost a Court of Appeal bid to stop consumers having the right to sue in the UK over alleged misuse of privacy settings."

BBC News

• Reply 16 of 37
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member

Google owns a whole lot of robot technology thanks to the acquisitions spearheaded by former employee Andy Rubin. Apple owns no robot IP (patents), as far as I know.

I suspect that Apple has a few patents related to robotic manufacturing.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Just ask if that robot is running the latest version of Android before you go under the knife...

Gatorguy will be volunteering for a few test runs I am sure. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 37
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    That reminds me of this:

Or this

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 19 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jungmark wrote: »

... if you look like you don't have long left your details of what parts that could be harvested on a donor list with ads.
  • Reply 20 of 37

Get sued for medical malpractice, lawyer up, tell the jury that Google does no evil, beat malpractice suit, Fandroids attack malpractice victims online.

Oh, they have that one covered: it'll be a 'beta.'