Apple's new MacBook employs unorthodox keyboard design to achieve maximum thinness

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member

A killer product with free MS Office !

• Reply 22 of 104
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    dugbug wrote: »
    When can we preorder these? Or just on Apr 10?

Well, we are less than two weeks out, and they haven't announced a preorder. I think it's safe to assume it's not going to happen. Macs don't sell as fast as iOS devices, so hopefully we won't need a preorder.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

someone is going to complain about the glossy screen.

Very funny! Made me smile. :)

• Reply 24 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Its not how many Ports you have, but what you Do with them ;-) that matters.
    This is the problem, many of us do use those ports. Often multiple ports at the same time. So yeah how many make a difference and frankly one is a no go for some of us.

Speaking of counting, I'd argue that the new Macbook has 3 "ports"; 2 Physical and another that is connector-less.
    USB-C (which hosts multiple data formats and POWER) is one, The second port is audio oriented but also does do digital PCM fiber. The third port went connectors-less a while back its the R/F port that provides Bluetooth and WiFi.

I count (3) ports that all do double duty. Not one. :D

That is a strange way to count ports but you could be right in broad terms but here we are concerned about USB ports.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member

I'm looking forward to trying the new keyboard. Less key travel is definitely going to affect typing speed at first. I usually adapt pretty quickly but one thing has taken longer than I thought. The distance between the number row and the small function keys above is not enough for me to avoid hitting a function key instead of a number from time to time.

Kudos to Apple for innovating in areas we thought were done.

• Reply 26 of 104
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Can someone help answer this question: With just one USB-C port that functions both for charging and for video output, does that mean that I would need to allow the battery to drain down if I choose to connect to an external monitor? Or does is there some way to keep the machine connected to power while also connecting it to an external monitor? This is not an issue with my current MacBook Pro, of course, because the video-out and power-in are separate ports.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is the problem, many of us do use those ports. Often multiple ports at the same time. So yeah how many make a difference and frankly one is a no go for some of us.

That is a strange way to count ports but you could be right in broad terms but here we are concerned about USB ports.

You are quite right, planned a new one, but I shall stick to my mid 2011 MBA, hoping things will improve!

I quite see the improvement in the new USB, but Apple could have included an old USB to ease the transition, and to me having to choose charging or connection in combination with the slow processor makes this look like the 1st generation MBA; Promises of what to come.

• Reply 28 of 104
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Regarding the typeface used on the key caps: this move is totally motivated by art direction and branding.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I remember the original "San Francisco" font, and that, sir, is no San Francisco!

All this subtle font stuff is huge with Jony Ives and Jon Gruber, etc., but basically as lost on me as trying to think of a non-dumb reason I'd spend $17,000 on a case for a $350 smart watch.

Guess I'm just a Philistine who'll never have a career in design... ...oh well....

• Reply 29 of 104
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    If you need more than just power on the road I'd skip this laptop but there are going up be dozens of usbc hubs that for the mothership location at home will make port counting irrelevant
  • Reply 30 of 104
    polymnia wrote: »
    Regarding the typeface used on the key caps: this move is totally motivated by art direction and branding. The designer doesn't need to purchase per unit licenses for a product using renderings of a typeface. They just need licenses for the actual designer's machines. Just like I can print as many books as I like using a typeface I've licensed without paying per book.

Now if VAG Rounded were installed on every Mac whose key caps were rendered in VAG Rounded, that would be a huge licensing expense.

Of course, you could just subscribe to Creative Creative Cloud and use VAG Rounded all you want!

(Ducking Adobe flames)

Edit: looks like VAG Rounded isn't available through typekit. However, I still feel that the subtle suggestion that apple is cutting ties with adobe by using an in-house typeface is just feeding the anti-adobe trolls. Or maybe I'm reading into that part of the article too deeply?

You seem obsessed with VAG. ;)
  • Reply 31 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    You seem obsessed with VAG. ;)

It starts around 12-13 for boys.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Byars View Post

Its not how many Ports you have, but what you Do with them ;-) that matters.

Speaking of counting, I'd argue that the new Macbook has 3 "ports"; 2 Physical and another that is connector-less.

USB-C (which hosts multiple data formats and POWER) is one, The second port is audio oriented but also does do digital PCM fiber. The third port went connectors-less a while back its the R/F port that provides Bluetooth and WiFi.

I count (3) ports that all do double duty. Not one. image

Bluetooth and WiFi are independent of each other, separate radios, so that would be 4 ports. :)

• Reply 33 of 104
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Sounds like something I'd like.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cws View Post

Can someone help answer this question: With just one USB-C port that functions both for charging and for video output, does that mean that I would need to allow the battery to drain down if I choose to connect to an external monitor? Or does is there some way to keep the machine connected to power while also connecting it to an external monitor? This is not an issue with my current MacBook Pro, of course, because the video-out and power-in are separate ports.

Power can only flow in one of the two directions. Video can flow out while power flows in OR out. So, being connected to a hub would let you have your monitor connected while juicing up the laptops.

• Reply 35 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I'm looking forward to trying the new keyboard. Less key travel is definitely going to affect typing speed at first. I usually adapt pretty quickly but one thing has taken longer than I thought. The distance between the number row and the small function keys above is not enough for me to avoid hitting a function key instead of a number from time to time.

Kudos to Apple for innovating in areas we thought were done.

It took me a while to adapt to Apple's "chicklet" keyboard... same thing, less key travel, but it seems they continued to tweak the feel of the keyboard. On my 2013 MacBook Air, it feels just right. I still have my old 2007 MacBook Pro, and I do miss the feel of those keys... my fingertips would rest in the nice dips.

I'm just disappointed by the left-and-right arrow keys. I wish they would've retained the reverse-T shape, but I guess usability testing took them the other way.

• Reply 36 of 104
    koopskoops Posts: 5member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Power can only flow in one of the two directions. Video can flow out while power flows in OR out. So, being connected to a hub would let you have your monitor connected while juicing up the laptops.

Soon you external monitor will charge your laptop.  Soon it will seem so silly that they used to not do that.

• Reply 37 of 104
    koopskoops Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

If you need more than just power on the road I'd skip this laptop but there are going up be dozens of usbc hubs that for the mothership location at home will make port counting irrelevant

Well said. Think of it as a non-proprietary docking station port.  I would not be surprised if high end hotels would start having a screen with mouse and keyboard all connected through this one port.  Remember when all the alarm clocks in hotels where iPod docks?  In the same way they could start having laptop docks using type-c usb.  Of course since a good screen is not cheap, low end hotels will not do it.

• Reply 38 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

It took me a while to adapt to Apple's "chicklet" keyboard... same thing, less key travel, but it seems they continued to tweak the feel of the keyboard. On my 2013 MacBook Air, it feels just right. I still have my old 2007 MacBook Pro, and I do miss the feel of those keys... my fingertips would rest in the nice dips.

I'm just disappointed by the left-and-right arrow keys. I wish they would've retained the reverse-T shape, but I guess usability testing took them the other way.

Oh gosh, the early MBP keyboard is the worst. It's mushy and inaccurate. Not PowerBook Duo/5x0 bad, but definitely not great. The versions on the AlBooks were better.

• Reply 39 of 104
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    How long until each key gets a tactic engine under it? 3 years? 5? By then there will be no throw at all.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Oh gosh, the early MBP keyboard is the worst. It's mushy and inaccurate. Not PowerBook Duo/5x0 bad, but definitely not great. The versions on the AlBooks were better.

I was able to type so fast on those older MBP keyboards! I liked the cushiony feel, I guess.