How Apple's new MacBook gets nearly as much battery life as the MacBook Pro with a battery half the

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    mstone wrote: »
    Be a man and make your own comments. Don't **** with mine.

I don't see a problem with that unless the change was meant to alter your position, not as a tool to state their position. I think in the context no one will think you originally made that comment. Perhaps forum etiquette is to not alter posts, but does that mean never reducing the content when it's excessive? Personally, I think it's more egregious when people quote an entire article or very long post when it's not warranted by their reply.
  • Reply 22 of 112
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

No one cares about Adobe, they're a crappy company. Pixelmator runs fine on ARM. Parallels and VMWare would be pointless. As for Microsoft, they already have a full-blown version of Office 2013 that runs amazingly well on ARM. It wouldn't be hard to add in the 2015 tweaks and sell that if necessary;

I do admit Adobe is a crappy company, and if I could cut them off, I would. Unfortunately, many of their applications are an industry standard, and as much as I'd like to switch to other apps than offer similar functionality but in a much more efficient, cheaper, sleeker, and more useable package, unfortunately it's not something I can do quite yet in my line of work. 

• Reply 23 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Sorry to say, his "modified" comment is 100% spot-on... Also, I think it meant with a little bit of sarcasm, so don't take it too seriously. I've done that to people here, and people here have done that to my comments, can't get so worked up about it...

I don't mind when they make the changed words bold or italic and comment that "I fixed that for you" To do that without making any comment of your own and not making it clear that it was changed by them is cheap childish BS.

Oh and by the way I would disagree that it was 100% spot on. Adobe is perhaps the greatest software company of all time in my opinion and I have been using their excellent products for the full 25 years.

• Reply 24 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What I'd like is a 14" version with a USB port on either side and 12 hours battery life.

And eventually that at €1,499 or less with a faster processor. That's when I buy. I'm sure 2017, but hopefully sooner.
  • Reply 25 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't mind when they make the changed words bold or italic and comment that "I fixed that for you" To do that without making any comment of your own and not making it clear that it was changed by them is cheap childish BS.

Oh and by the way I would disagree that it was 100% spot on. Adobe is perhaps the greatest software company of all time in my opinion and I have been using their excellent products for the full 25 years.

Yeah, okay, thank you Shantanu Narayen.

• Reply 26 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Yeah, okay, thank you Shantanu Narayen.

You do know he started his career at Apple right?

• Reply 27 of 112
    mstone wrote: »

I agree with that. I think someone along the lines of "I fixed that for you," perhaps with a smiling emotion to help sell your intent, would go a long way.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,342member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Adobe purchased most of its portfolio and it took them more than a decade to clean it up. They had a lot of products that they killed and a lot of crapware products along the way, probably no different that any other company that has been around that long.

They are the Photoshop and PDF company first. After that, just big in the creative space. I like their products, but they aren't all that great in the consumer space; witness the ruckus about CC.

You might want to state that they are the greatest application developer in the creative space; I could agree with that.

I would put MS, Apple and Google much ahead of Adobe as software companies, just for their OS work.

• Reply 29 of 112
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Lots of blah blah blah for what is essentially the poorest performing Mac on sale at a price higher than the Airs. I hope that Apple stay away from these 'atom' CPUs in future. No one wants netbook Macs
  • Reply 30 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

I would put MS, Apple and Google much ahead of Adobe as software companies, just for their OS work.

And you could put Cemex ahead of I.M Pei in architecture for their foundational cement products. A command prompt is useless without applications. I still put Adobe at the top and not just for creative. As you mentioned PDF, I would say Acrobat is the preeminent computer technology for all business, education and creative arts today.

• Reply 31 of 112

I'll likely pick one of these up in the next couple of months.  Spent last week traveling with my 15" rMBP and losing 3 lbs. of dead weight in my bag would be really nice.  I don't need to have all the power of the rMBP when I'm on the road but do want something bigger than the iPad and I'm guessing this is exactly the scenario lots of people will have in mind when they buy one.

I have a 13" MBA (2011) that I used to travel with, but it doesn't provide enough battery life and with all the other hi-res screens I work on, it's just a bit tough on the old eyes going back to the lower res screen.

• Reply 32 of 112
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Sure, just as Apple used what it learned from Mac and iPod HW and SW to create the iPhone which then used what it learned from the iPhone HW and SW to create the iPad and help shape the Mac. That doesn't mean the new MacBook is tablet-esque. As previously noted, it has zero aspects that define a device as a tablet.

I guess I'm not so orthodox about it and understand the annoyance with folks who refer to the MacBook as a tablet. For me and others, however, this feels like a new kind of device somewhere between a Mac and an iPad. For many, the compact form factor, a single-port design, Retina display, and a long battery life, all enable a tablet-like charge-and-go. Such design decisions reference the iPad design (which we all know emanated from iPhone and so on). Hence, the "-esque" , i.e., bearing a resemblance to.

Tim made it clear that convergence of Mac and iOS is a non-starter, but what if, in a Jobsian way, that is turned on its head as circumstances change. For instance, what if in a not-too distant future, MacBooks ran on ARM, could dual boot into iOS or Mac OS (XI?) and used an all glass Force Touch keyboard instead of mechanical butterfly keys? What if dictation and keyboard-less gesture control got so good that ARM-based Apple notebooks shipped without a physical keyboard, yet ran Mac OS? Would you then say that there is zero that MacBook share with iPad? Or that all that came from Mac, hence, there was "zero" relationship?

Just a thought experiment; my point is that Apple is deeply interested in breaking down boundaries between devices, both formally and functionally. There is a move toward a continuum of devices rather than categories of devices, IMHO.

• Reply 33 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I'll likely pick one of these up in the next couple of months.  Spent last week traveling with my 15" rMBP and losing 3 lbs. of dead weight in my bag would be really nice.  I don't need to have all the power of the rMBP when I'm on the road but do want something bigger than the iPad and I'm guessing this is exactly the scenario lots of people will have in mind when they buy one.

I have a 13" MBA (2011) that I used to travel with, but it doesn't provide enough battery life and with all the other hi-res screens I work on, it's just a bit tough on the old eyes going back to the lower res screen.

Yup.

• Reply 34 of 112
    carthusia wrote: »

I guess I'm not so orthodox about it and understand the annoyance with folks who refer to the MacBook as a tablet. For me and others, however, this feels like a new kind of device somewhere between a Mac and an iPad. For many, the compact form factor, a single-port design, Retina display, and a long battery life, all enable a tablet-like charge-and-go. Such design decisions reference the iPad design (which we all know emanated from iPhone and so on). Hence, the "-esque" , i.e., bearing a resemblance to.

Tim made it clear that convergence of Mac and iOS is a non-starter, but what if, in a Jobsian way, that is turned on its head as circumstances change. For instance, what if in a not-too distant future, MacBooks ran on ARM, could dual boot into iOS or Mac OS (XI?) and used an all glass Force Touch keyboard instead of mechanical butterfly keys? What if dictation and keyboard-less gesture control got so good that ARM-based Apple notebooks shipped without a physical keyboard, yet ran Mac OS? Would you then say that there is zero that MacBook share with iPad? Or that all that came from Mac, hence, there was "zero" relationship?

Just a thought experiment; my point is that Apple is deeply interested in breaking down boundaries between devices, both formally and functionally. There is a move toward a continuum of devices rather than categories of devices, IMHO.

Then why didn't the MBA remind anyone of a tablet? I also don't recall anyone saying the iPad was MBA-esque.

As for feeling like anew kind of device, I only see new advancements in components that make it a better notebook, not a device that is trying to become a tablet. The new keyboard keys, the new keyboard backlight, and new trackpad are all just trying to make the device thinner (and perhaps less susceptible to damage since it allows for parts that move less or are completely removed, like the fan).

If I were to make a prediction about Apple'd direction with the new MB I'd say that it opens the way for an ARM-based Mac or Mac-like notebook.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    It's clear that Apple's hardware teams have pretty much a blank check to design the absolute best possible machines. I really don't think ANY other personal computer company's hardware division is even close to having this type of freedom-even if they had the talent.

It's not just freedom. Apple's team has the goal of creating an outstanding product. Usually other company's product teams have to deal with competition running the same OS; be it Winders or Android. So their objective is to fill a feature list at the lowest possible cost; even if that means "creative" spec writing.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Except that it 1) has no touchscreen, 2) has a built-in keyboard, and 3) runs a windowed OS. :roll eyes:

I didn't think the comment was troll-ish or off the mark, but that's just me. Apple appears to have applied a lot of what they learned designing iPad and iPhone to making this machine.

I agree, Apple is using a lot they learned on iDevices to enhance OSX products. While they someday may build an iOS laptop, it won't be called a Mac or even emulate OSX. Apple's intent is to bridge away from a file-based OS with iOS and while they are not there yet, it's a direction they are pointed toward. I don't see any advantage for this direction, but perhaps this are some.

This is also a feeling I have about the latest MB. It represents a directional move by Apple that seems mixed to me. It should have been priced to replace both MBA laptops, but it was not. So, where does it fit in the lineup where it is moth superior and inferior to the MBA??
  • Reply 37 of 112
    I agree, Apple is using a lot they learned on iDevices to enhance OSX products.

Right, to enhance their Macs, but they have not made it more tablet than "PC" or more iPad than Mac. It's still, inarguably, a Mac.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Lots of blah blah blah for what is essentially the poorest performing Mac on sale at a price higher than the Airs.

Why is the posters who show the most disdain for an article have to copy the entire article, including pictures, in order to make a single line replay about how much the product sucks? Coincidently, in this very thread, minutes before you posted I mentioned that specific lack of forum etiquette.
    I hope that Apple stay away from these 'atom' CPUs in future. No one wants netbook Macs.

1) Apple has never used Atom processors in any Mac. Perhaps you'd like to do a modicum of research on the performance of Core-M before making a comment about it being Atom. If it had been Atom the price would have dropped by a good $250, not to mention average performance being only about 25% of what it is now.

2) While there are many great changes with this design, the ports and processor do not fit my needs. That doesn't mean it's not a good machine, it only means it's not the right machine to replace my 15" MBP; which I assume will be a 15" MBP using many of these advancements.
  • Reply 39 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I agree, Apple is using a lot they learned on iDevices to enhance OSX products. While they someday may build an iOS laptop, it won't be called a Mac or even emulate OSX. Apple's intent is to bridge away from a file-based OS with iOS and while they are not there yet, it's a direction they are pointed toward. I don't see any advantage for this direction, but perhaps this are some.

This is also a feeling I have about the latest MB. It represents a directional move by Apple that seems mixed to me. It should have been priced to replace both MBA laptops, but it was not. So, where does it fit in the lineup where it is moth superior and inferior to the MBA??

I think the MBA is going away and will be fully-replaced by the macBook. When that happens..I'd guess 2-3 years. For example, they still sell the non-Retina 13" MacBook Pro and will likely do so until IDK?

A year or two ago they still sold a non-Retina 15"MBP. I suspect they'll draw down inventory on the 13" MBP and ramp volume and lower prices on the current MacBook as soon as logistically and economically feasible. 

• Reply 40 of 112
    I think the MBA is going away and will be fully-replaced by the macBook. When that happens..I'd guess 2-3 years. For example, they still sell the non-Retina 13" MacBook Pro and will likely do so until IDK?

A year or two ago they still sold a non-Retina 15"MBP. I suspect they'll draw down inventory on the 13" MBP and ramp volume and lower prices on the current MacBook as soon as logistically and economically feasible. 

You could be right, but I don't see it as a smart move to simply kill off the MBA line. The brand seems too powerful for that. If they were going to only have the two lines I'd think it would have been smarter to call this a Retina MacBook Air and then sell it alongside the other MacBook Airs… just as they did* with the Retina and non-Retina MacBook Pros.

* Note: It's actually 'do' since that 13" non-Retina MacBook with the HDD and ODD is still for sale on their main store.