How Apple's new MacBook gets nearly as much battery life as the MacBook Pro with a battery half the

Comments

• Reply 41 of 112
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

I think the MBA is going away and will be fully-replaced by the macBook. When that happens..I'd guess 2-3 years. For example, they still sell the non-Retina 13" MacBook Pro and will likely do so until IDK?

A year or two ago they still sold a non-Retina 15"MBP. I suspect they'll draw down inventory on the 13" MBP and ramp volume and lower prices on the current MacBook as soon as logistically and economically feasible. 

How could the MacBook replace the MBA?  The MBA has a standby time of 30 days which is unmatched by the MacBook or MacBook Pro. 

• Reply 42 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I agree with that. I think someone along the lines of "I fixed that for you," perhaps with a smiling emotion to help sell your intent, would go a long way.

The way he replied is worse than the type of crap Corrections pulls by replying inside the quoted text.

• Reply 43 of 112
    I believe Apple is attempting to redefine how we use laptops and tablets ... Most definitely Apple will have blended the best parts of both iOS and OS X into a new platform / product that will work like an iOS tablet when used without any accessories (usb c dock / keyboard) and will work like a full fledged macbook when used as a docked tablet with enough ports to connect all the peripherals on ur desk.
    It's possible this will only occur sometime by 2018/2020 and by then we will all have already moved to fully cloud based filesystems and Apple will bring the ARM processors into these hybrid products getting rid of their reliance on Intel.
    BTW do we know what Anand Lal Shilpi is working on at Apple ? Gut instincts tell me he is working on exactly this hybrid product from an engineering view and advising Apple
  • Reply 44 of 112
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    tzeshan wrote: »

How could the MacBook replace the MBA?  The MBA has a standby time of 30 days which is unmatched by the MacBook or MacBook Pro. 

Apple only lists the standby times of the MBA, but I can't imagine the low-power MB going to be much worse. Even if it is, say, 1/3 less time is 20 days of stand-by time going to be a deal breaker for anyone? I'd think there are much bigger considerations for active use when determining which machine to get.
  • Reply 45 of 112
    Quote:

Apple only lists the standby times of the MBA, but I can't imagine the low-power MB going to be much worse. Even if it is, say, 1/3 less time is 20 days of stand-by time going to be a deal breaker for anyone? I'd think there are much bigger considerations for active use when determining which machine to get.

My experiences with laptops are they all have very short standby time.  If it is not used for just a couple days, the battery is completely drained out.  The MBA is the first laptop that has this amazing 30 days standby time.  

• Reply 46 of 112
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

My experiences with laptops are they all have very short standby time.  If it is not used for just a couple days, the battery is completely drained out.  The MBA is the first laptop that has this amazing 30 days standby time.  

I think that was achieved because of power saving component, which the MacBook has multiple advances over, not to mention the additional power saving features now in Mac OS X. I'm not saying the new MacBook will be able to match the MBA because it does have a much smaller battery, but I also wouldn't be surprised if does match or exceed it.

Note the current MBPs also have a 30 day standby time. It's not on their stand tech page, but it's listed on their more detailed support tech page.
  • Reply 47 of 112
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Adobe purchased most of its portfolio and it took them more than a decade to clean it up. They had a lot of products that they killed and a lot of crapware products along the way, probably no different that any other company that has been around that long.

I'm revealing my PC roots here, but I'll never forgive them for running Cool Edit Pro into the ground (re-badged as Audition).

• Reply 48 of 112

Does that mean it could be charged in half the time, cause that might be useful?

• Reply 49 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

I'm revealing my PC roots here, but I'll never forgive them for running Cool Edit Pro into the ground (re-badged as Audition).

I tend to ignore the Windows side of Adobe. I focus strictly on the essential cross platform apps Ps, Ai, iD, Dw, Fl, Br, Pr, Acrobat and Distiller ... and of course their OT typeface library.

• Reply 50 of 112
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And you could put Cemex ahead of I.M Pei in architecture for their foundational cement products. A command prompt is useless without applications. I still put Adobe at the top and not just for creative. As you mentioned PDF, I would say Acrobat is the preeminent computer technology for all business, education and creative arts today.

Microsoft makes more from Office alone than Adobe makes with its entire product line, both revenue and income, and both Apple and Google have strong suites of consumer apps, while Apple also has a small number of Pro Apps that compete with Adobe head to head.

PDF is a platform primarily for online delivery of documents to be printed, and there are many alternative readers other that Acrobat, which is an application, and many other creation methods other than Acrobat.

It would be easy to argue that html is the preeminent technology for online delivery of content, not Acrobat

If Adobe went away tomorrow, I would only miss Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, and even those are not necessities for most computer users, including myself.

• Reply 51 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

If Adobe went away tomorrow, I would only miss Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, and even those are not necessities for most computer users, including myself.

Sure they are. Every user manual, instructions for use,, advertisement, trade show graphic, magazine, photo retouch, newspaper, book, billboard, TV program, postcard, business card, buswrap, textbook, logo, and probably every car, motorcycle, ship, airplane, and spaceship would cease to exist, because Adobe is integral to all those industries.

• Reply 52 of 112
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sure they are. Every user manual, instructions for use,, advertisement, trade show graphic, magazine, photo retouch, newspaper, book, billboard, TV program, postcard, business card, buswrap, textbook, logo, and probably every car, motorcycle, ship, airplane, and spaceship would cease to exist, because Adobe is integral to all those industries.

Uhm, hyperbolic at all?

You basically have ceded to my position that Adobe is important to some creative fields, not much else, and you certainly aren't acknowledging any alternatives to Adobe products, which are quite common, especially with the cost of CC that many people find repugnant.

• Reply 53 of 112
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I agree, Apple is using a lot they learned on iDevices to enhance OSX products. While they someday may build an iOS laptop, it won't be called a Mac or even emulate OSX. Apple's intent is to bridge away from a file-based OS with iOS and while they are not there yet, it's a direction they are pointed toward. I don't see any advantage for this direction, but perhaps this are some.

This is also a feeling I have about the latest MB. It represents a directional move by Apple that seems mixed to me. It should have been priced to replace both MBA laptops, but it was not. So, where does it fit in the lineup where it is moth superior and inferior to the MBA??

There would be some advantage if there would be a  better way to tag (auto-tagging?) and find documents/media, whatever, then present views (views are permanent cashed searches and replace folders and their physical locations) of them that totally abstract physical storage.

Who cares were it is stored really! That's how it should be. With huge massive set of user data being spread out across services (FB/Twitter/Instagram/Icloud/Opendrive/Google services, etc) not to mention local drives that may be all over the place in their own home, other homes, places of work, etc.

Relying on files, tracking them, indexing them, backing in physical locations is practically insanity. I'm starting to understand the practicality of not relying on organizing files in physical folders. I've got 10TB and 600K various files at home and keeping track of everything would be a quasi career! I've got to handle more files and storage than a whole large data center in 1990. I need help :-).

• Reply 54 of 112
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I agree, Apple is using a lot they learned on iDevices to enhance OSX products. While they someday may build an iOS laptop, it won't be called a Mac or even emulate OSX. Apple's intent is to bridge away from a file-based OS with iOS and while they are not there yet, it's a direction they are pointed toward. I don't see any advantage for this direction, but perhaps this are some.

This is also a feeling I have about the latest MB. It represents a directional move by Apple that seems mixed to me. It should have been priced to replace both MBA laptops, but it was not. So, where does it fit in the lineup where it is moth superior and inferior to the MBA??

It's like the original MacBook Air (which was the first Mac I ever purchased for myself and one that I'll never regret, even though I got the second generation less than year later). It's not quite ready to replace the current MacBook Air, just as the MBA wasn't quite ready to replace the original MacBook until October 2010, but it is time for it to be released. I'm sure I'm going to love it. After more than 5 years of using a MacBook Air I switched to the rMBP in 2013. I like the screen, but even at 3.5lbs it is heavier than I'd like. I can't wait for a 2lb device that will last 9 hours per charge. I don't need the most powerful CPU in the world. At its top configuration, the new MacBook will perform comparably to a base MBA (except for graphics, which will lag), but that's all I need for Safari, Office and occasionally running Quicken inside Windows.

• Reply 55 of 112
    Quote:

I think that was achieved because of power saving component, which the MacBook has multiple advances over, not to mention the additional power saving features now in Mac OS X. I'm not saying the new MacBook will be able to match the MBA because it does have a much smaller battery, but I also wouldn't be surprised if does match or exceed it.

Note the current MBPs also have a 30 day standby time. It's not on their stand tech page, but it's listed on their more detailed support tech page.

If the new MBP has 30 day standby time it agrees with my suspicion of the cause of power drain.  I think the traditional hard drive was designed to consume power even when in standby mode.  Apple seems trying to ditch hard drive in recent years.  This is probably the main reason.  This news MBP does not have a hard drive.

• Reply 56 of 112

If the new MBP has 30 day standby time it agrees with my suspicion of the cause of power drain.  I think the traditional hard drive was designed to consume power even when in standby mode.  Apple seems trying to ditch hard drive in recent years.  This is probably the main reason.  This news MBP does not have a hard drive.

No, that's not it. The hard drive is often the only thing that's shut down when a system is in standby.
  • Reply 57 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Not surprising. This thing is more tablet with huge battery than laptop. Not saying that's a bad thing, just is what it is.

I'd like to hear the insanity behind your reasoning so I can spot crazies from further away.

• Reply 58 of 112
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    portcity wrote: »
    By Apple standards 9 hours of battery life isn't impressive. Pretty much all of their tablets and laptops get at least 9 hrs or more. I was actually disappointed to hear that the MacBook's battery life gets less battery power then the MacPro with Retina, considering it has a smaller screen, less powerful processor, less ports, and lighter weight.

You were disappointed that something smaller got less battery life? Get real. And what do the number of ports have to do with batt? Would they draw power when just sitting there?
  • Reply 59 of 112
    zroger73 wrote: »
    I don't even need to read this article to tell you this is like putting a chainsaw engine in a dump truck - it'll run a lot longer on a tank a gas, but it won't get much work done!

Only if you don't know how t work... It's an ultra portable. If your work isn't conducive to that you're using the wrong machine.
  • Reply 60 of 112
    irnchriz wrote: »

Why quote the entire article to say that?