Cook says discriminatory 'religious freedom' laws are dangerous, calls for action

Comments

• Reply 181 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

And I thought liberals hated capitalism anyways?

Where in the heck did you get this idea?!

Either you don't know what "liberal" means, or you don't know what "capitalism" means, or you don't know what either means.  I can't figure it out from your single outrageous, straight-from-Neptune statement.  But it's one of those three.

• Reply 182 of 492
    I must say, it's heartwarming to see so many good Christian folk here (and maybe some non-Christian ones, too) defending freedom and the Commandment 'Love thy neighbour'.

Let's all pray that Timmy Cook reads this thread and comes to his senses.
  • Reply 183 of 492
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ned bulous wrote: »
    Tim Cook has done more to raise the quality of life and environmental standards in China than anyone else on the planet. He is also one of the greatest CEOs by any objective measurement.

In comparison let's look at conservative CEOs who won't shut up like the Koch brothers, Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina, etc, etc. Almost all of them abject failures.

The Koch brothers are failures? Tell me more.
  • Reply 184 of 492
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    I really shouldn't jump in here, but...

You're attempting to lump the Bible in with historical/factual documents.  Despite some current religious factions also attempting to treat it as such (infallible), that's not its primary intent.  It is primarily a faith-based (not fact-based) record of a specific group of mankind's relationship to their God.  Along the way, there are many incidental "facts" that don't square with modern thought, yes... but there are also countless insights into living life to its fullest.

Frankly, hardliners on both sides of the Christianity/organized religion debate are fueled by their inabilty to put this into perspective.

You're making a broad statement that is unrelated to my particular comment.
  • Reply 185 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The Koch brothers are failures? Tell me more.

You didn't actually read his statement, did you?

I mean, ****.  Either stay the hell out of this shit, or at least pay fucking attention to what's going on around you!  You're getting as bad as Frost.

• Reply 186 of 492
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

As long as there's no victim and no harmful outcome possible, isn't that where we draw the line on what society should tolerate?

That's how most people see things. It's difficult to understand for religious people because this way of thinking doesn't automatically say if something is good or bad and you have to use your brain to find the answer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The outcome of suppressing feelings is that those people lead unhappy lives and in cases where they'll cause harm to others then it's seen as being justified.

Yes, psychology has shown over a century ago that repressing desires, like most religious prone, is the worst thing one can do. But religions didn't get the memo. Even now some people say that people should force themselves to change, that's an obsolete and simply wrong way to see things.

• Reply 187 of 492
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    This (whether it's completely accurate or not is beside the point) is why a consumer electronics business should stay out of socially and politically sensitive matters.

Apple is not in the "consumer electronics business," any more than the Gutenberg Press was in the paper goods business.

Apple is in the consciousness business, or, if you like, the enlightenment business. They make the tools for that, and uniquely recognize it, following Steve Jobs,

The printing press created the Enlightenment in the 16th-17th centuries. The personal computer is doing the same in our time and our near future.

The culturally backward reaction of the religious ignorati is resisting the new Enlightenment, which is what we see happening here.
  • Reply 188 of 492
    aaronj wrote: »

You didn't actually read his statement, did you?

I mean, ****.  Either stay the hell out of this shit, or at least pay fucking attention to what's going on around you!  You're getting as bad as Frost.

Here's the quote: "In comparison let's look at conservative CEOs who won't shut up like the Koch brothers, Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina, etc, etc. Almost all of them abject failures."

Don't lose your cool. No need for the personal attacks.
  • Reply 189 of 492
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Where in the heck did you get this idea?!

Either you don't know what "liberal" means, or you don't know what "capitalism" means, or you don't know what either means.  I can't figure it out from your single outrageous, straight-from-Neptune statement.  But it's one of those three.

Well, they hate the rich.

Well, unless they or their liberal friends are I guess.

But then they will probably go off on the Koch Brothers like Harry Reid loves to do.

The Koch brothers are the root of all evil in the world. Did you know that?

• Reply 190 of 492
    Quote:

Here's the quote: "In comparison let's look at conservative CEOs who won't shut up like the Koch brothers, Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina, etc, etc. Almost all of them abject failures."

Don't lose your cool. No need for the personal attacks.

Sure.  Take the comment out of the context of what he was saying, and that apply it to him.

To the block list.  Jeez.

• Reply 191 of 492
    msantti wrote: »

But then they will probably go off on the Koch Brothers like Harry Reid loves to do.

I wonder who socked Reid in the eye or if he fell down while drunk? I don't buy his "exercise equipment accident" excuse.
  • Reply 192 of 492
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

I wonder who socked Reid in the eye or if he fell down while drunk? I don't buy his "exercise equipment accident" excuse.

As a followup to your previous "no need for personal attacks" comment immediately above, this is, perhaps, a post that you might want to reconsider.

• Reply 193 of 492
    Quote:

1) Liberals do not hate the rich.  Where did you get this idea -- probably Fox News or the Washington Examiner or some such?  I have never, not once in my entire life -- and I've been involved in all sorts of political movements and groups and the like -- not ONCE have I met someone who "hated the rich."  What is this?  "Les Miserables?"

2) While no one is the root of all evil in the world, the Koch brothers have absolutely ZERO to support anything other than an absolute condemnation.  Being rich doesn't make one evil.  DOING EVIL makes one evil.

The world has had its share of poor or lower middle class scum.  And it's had its share of very good people were well-to-do.  Where you got the idea that people think differently than this, I have no idea.

• Reply 194 of 492
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Why is it that the United States can't get over sexual orienation, when the rest of the modern democratic world has (sometimes years, even decades ago)?

It's juvenile.

Puritans, fundamentalists, patriarchists are juvenile. It's a persistent American problem because of our history as religious fugitives, native ethnic cleansers and slave owners. A deadly collection of skeletons in our cultural closet. Failure to acknowledge leads to failure to mature philosophically.
  • Reply 195 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Providing a loving environment to bring up your own blood...

Loving and religious are often in conflict. Religious people quickly forget their "love" when you don't follow their teachings.

Ask all the kids whose parents have thrown out of home because they are gay.

• Reply 196 of 492
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Tim Cook has exposed himself as a bigot.
  • Reply 197 of 492
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2015/03/apple_ceos_double_standards_on_religious_freedom_restoration_act.html

Article also mentions a Illinois law similar to the Indiana one. Passed by liberals including our future Dear Leader Barack Obama.

Not a word from the canaries when that was passed.

But its a big deal now.
  • Reply 198 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Tim Cook has exposed himself as a bigot.

Honest question: Sarcasm?

• Reply 199 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

'Love thy neighbour'.

How does this apply to people throwing gay people out of their stores?

• Reply 200 of 492
    The end result of jumping into such a fray will be harm to Apple's bottom line and the impression that Apple is two-faced, making a big stink about an issue in the US, while saying nothing about discriminatory or oppressive behaviors in other highly profitable markets. I'd rather Tim voluntarily quit to pursue a job in politics or at the UN if he prefers to take his attention away from Apple.

It's probably going to add to "Apple's bottom line," in your utilitarian words. No one reasonable expects Apple to poke its nose so far into other countries' affairs.

Why not? Can you guess? Answer: Apple is an American company! Was that so hard?