Cook says discriminatory 'religious freedom' laws are dangerous, calls for action

Comments

• Reply 141 of 492
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why worry about making things "equal" by demanding that Tim Cook concern himslef with these issues in China?

Thus is not a Tim Cook problems. It's a USA cultural problem. And the problem runs very deep.

Take Tim Cook out of it. Take China out of it. Don't concern yourself with anything other than the shameless bigotry of that baker, and how you should be EMBARRASSED - especially under the gaze of the rest of the modern democratic world - to even THINK of allowing such bigotry to be elevated to what is essentially a codified act in the United States of 2015.

70 years ago it was about blacks, and the excuse was? Pick one.

Today it's the LGBT community and the excuse is "religion."

Like... really???

It's 2015. What the hell is wrong with you people?

What's wrong with B. Frost?  He's a troll.  Please ignore him.

What's wrong with everyone else, OTOH?  I wish I freakin' knew.

• Reply 142 of 492
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The guy said the bible supported Pedo's.  Just pointing out that is false or unproven at this point.

The bible itself is mostly false and unproven.
  • Reply 143 of 492
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I'm not fishing for some biological theory.  It is basic level survival instinct.  Same reason why children don't like bitter food because survival instinct tells them its poison.

Gays have been shunned since the beginning of recorded civilization.  Because it was a threat to the reproduction of the speices.  

Again I'm not here to say being gay is right or wrong.

I'm just saying that many people still are being lead by their basic survival instinct.

Probably time to outgrow nonsensical "survival instincts", like most of the rest of the modern democratic world.

I wonder why we don't have these "survival instincts" up here? Haven't had them for decades.

All these "survival instinct" theories accomplish is just further justification of the very attitudes that are in the way of social progress. It's a question of right and wrong. And how some folks DO NOT see that treating PEOPLE this way is INHERENTLY wrong is beyond me.
  • Reply 144 of 492
    I said that "Biblical marriage" doesn't mean what you think it does. As far as pedophilia, Joseph was said to have died at 111 years of age, when Jesus himself was said to be 12.

You do the math.
  • Reply 145 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Apple in the time of Steve Jobs.

Once again you guys just yell "Ayn Rand Akbar" without thinking of consequences or facts.

Apple supported the Democratic Convention in 2000 with laptops and WiFi and put up these posters outside:

Also Al Gore is on Apple's Board.

• Reply 146 of 492
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Personally I do not care if religions choose to discriminate, religion by its definition is discriminatory organization not sure why people would think any differently and they should be able to do anything they want behind their doors. However with that freedom then they should not be allowed to tell others what they can and can not do, and they should be barred from politics and lobbying for religious based laws. In this country people have come too fixated on what others are doing and feel they must save you from yourself somehow.

I know this statement is going to get people going, however, religion is just another organize hate group, They talk about how if you not like them then there is something wrong with you. unlike the KKK they do not come out and say kill those not like them, but they do say you have to make others like them or else or those not willing to be like them will not be invited in.

This country really need to separate religions and government, when you have a country with so many beliefs and back ground no single group and can set the moral compass for everyone else.

The issue I have is business around me have been popping up all over the place proclaiming how they are Christian or faith based business and have it all over the ads and such, why do we care what they practice at home when I want is them to fix my car and not judge me or charge me extra since I do not practice what they do at their church.

As Ronald Reagan Said

[QUOTE]We in the United States, above all, must remember that lesson, for we were founded as a nation of openness to people of all beliefs. And so we must remain. Our very unity has been strengthened by our pluralism. We establish no religion in this country, we command no worship, we mandate no belief, nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate. All are free to believe or not believe, all are free to practice a faith or not, and those who believe are free, and should be free, to speak of and act on their belief.[/QUOTE]

His son is taking up the fight to get rid of religions involvement in out governments laws

[VIDEO]

For those who do not like Republicans or Liberals like Ron Jr Here is a well known Democrat on keeping religion out of government

[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

BTW I do not prescribe to this group I just thought it was interesting considering this topic
  • Reply 147 of 492
    Bottom line is this:

You don't like Tim Cooks stance?  Either take it like a man or sell your stock if you can't stomach it.

If you don't owns the stock? Then you have no reason to gripe.  

What about women? "Take it like a man" is such a dated and sexist comment.
  • Reply 148 of 492

Not in America.

We have protections.

When a business refuses to serve women or AfricanAmericans, or Chinese, you are breaking the law.

• Reply 149 of 492
    I don't know.  I'm not a women.  

What kind of a man ignores that women make up half of humanity?
  • Reply 150 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo007 View Post

I'm in favor of these laws. I have a computer business in Montreal. I once had a customer walk in my shop and refused to get served by one of my employees because his skin was black. I told him to take his things and get out of my shop and never come back. Fact of the matter is a business owner has the right to refuse doing business with who ever he wants for what ever reason. Sometimes those reasons are good or sometimes there perceived as bad. If a photographer doesn't want to work for a gay couple because he believes it's wrong, it's his right. The fact is that gay couple can go to many other photographers that will take his money. I don't why people are against it.

Not in America.  You refuse to serve African Americans, or women, or gays, expect to be charged with a civil rights violation plus you are open to a lawsuit in civil court. 

And the moment I learn that a business owner violates other customers civil rights is the end of my relationship with that business.

• Reply 151 of 492
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Don't attack my religion.

Can you force a Jewish bakery to make a cake with swastikas?

If it's written by politicians, the law is probably flawed and too broad.
  • Reply 152 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

We wouldn't have these laws if it wasn't for the militant gays forcing gay marriage down everyone's throats. This all came about in Indiana because owners of a bakery that have a moral objection to gay marriage politely refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. It was well knowing that this bakery was owned by a very religious couple. This gay couple was steered to this bakery by the local LGBT community. And when the bakery politely refused to bake them a wedding cake the LGBT community started a smear campaign against the bakery which then decided to close.

Here's a question I have for Tim Cook: say you're a graphc designer and one of your services is logo designs for businesses. Let's also say you're a vegan. OK now let's say a butcher contacts you to design a logo for his new butcher shop. He has no idea you're a vegan. He just knows via word of mouth or the Internet that you do a good job for a fair price. Should you be forced to design the logo for this butcher shop or should you have the right to politely decline citing your moral objections to meat eating and butcher shops? In Tim Cook's world you would be required to perform the service because not doing so would be discriminating against the butcher. How in the world does that make any sense?

who is forcing you to marry someone? You can still choose your partner.  What a maroon.

• Reply 153 of 492
    I'm not presumptiuous enough to speak for women.  
    They can speak their side of and I will accept it as truth.

stop trying to make me look like a bad guy

Then stop employing jingoistic statements like "take it like a man". I was hoping you'd be better than that.
  • Reply 154 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

again I'm not saying being gay is right or wrong.

I'm saying a basic reason why some may feel strong against it.

I'm not saying they are right to have those basic survival instincts.  But if they address it they may be able to overcome it.

Fair enough. 

There are any number of reasons or theories one can build around these attitudes. I hope there's actually a chance that these folks can actually find one, relate to it, see it for what it is, and then realize that they don't (and shouldn't) need to think that way. 

The question is, though: if this is wearing overalls and looks like a lot of work (soul-searching, self-inquiry) will these folks actually bother to give it any attention?

Unfortunately, it may take yet another generation to accomplish what should have been accomplished and put to rest a long, long time ago. 

• Reply 155 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

They're already here. Liberals are the most ideological and intolerant people I know.

You must not know many people or the people you do know all think alike.

• Reply 156 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Don't attack my religion.

Can you force a Jewish bakery to make a cake with swastikas?

That's quite different. If there was ever a false equivalence, this would be it. 

This is the kind of attitude (and justification for it) that's keeping your country in the social dark ages. 

• Reply 157 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcho View Post

Its kind of amazing seeing so much hate and bigotry is here.

So I guess "Religious Freedom" is to harass and discriminate people. If you don't like what they think or feel, or any other reason, you can just deny them from anything you want.

The religious freedom argument is just a weasely way for sh*tty people to get away with being sh*tty under some BS faux-respectable ruse.

• Reply 158 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ECats View Post

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about what the US constitution(1st&14th Amendments) and what 'religious freedom' allows for.

Boiled down it means you can worship the god of your choosing without interference from the government.

This doesn't mean that you can impact others with your religious views. This law has nothing to do with who you worship. Secondly the bible's teachings (as we're really talking about christianity here) put forth numerous examples of embracing others. One needn't search for long to find examples of Jesus embracing prostitutes, the poor and lepers/the sick. Thus following Christianity would really have one embracing others, not discriminating against them.

Indeed this law relies on people having never read anything of the bible, and instead embracing an entirely make-believe version of Christianity.

Plus there are so many ways that this law can be abused beyond the GLBT community that it's exceptional that anyone would sign it into law.

Another way to say this would be to say that Religious Rights and Rules never trumps Civil Authority.

• Reply 159 of 492
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

The religious freedom argument is just a weasely way for sh*tty people to get away with being sh*tty under some BS faux-respectable ruse.

Exactly. Thank you. 

• Reply 160 of 492
    stop being so literal.

Getting harder to take any of your posts seriously. Your posts are better when you stick with information about the stock, to be blunt.