Apple Watch for retail sale by reservation only, no band-swapping during try-ons - report

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Shoppers wanting to buy an Apple Watch from an Apple Store will not be able to pick one up without a prior reservation, at least at launch, according to a new report.

Prospective buyers will need to make a "Product Reservation" online to secure a specific model, eschewing Apple' usual Personal Pickup option, according to leaked training documents obtained by MacRumors. The documents also reportedly state that if a person simply walks into an Apple Store, retail workers should offer the option to try on a Watch, but then help them place an order through Apple's website or the official Apple Store app.

"Try-on" appointments will not reserve an Apple Watch for purchase, the report said. It's claimed that Apple will eventually allow walk-in purchases, but only once the the initial demand crush subsides.

The first try-on sessions should open up on April 10, when pre-orders are slated to start, even though the product won't launch until the 24th. It's also been said that although there are a variety of different bands for the Watch, people will not be able to swap them during try-ons.

This is presumed to be because most such appointments are expected to last between five and 15 minutes. The only exception is with people looking to buy an Edition model, who will have as much as 30 minutes. Prices for that line start at $10,000, and Apple has said that the Edition will be available in limited quantities and only at "select" stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Good. Cut down on scalpels as much as possible.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    Given that this is Apple's first wearable, I suspect they also opted to go the try-on route to minimize a high return rate...you're much more certain to keep something (personal) once you're satisfied how it looks on you, as opposed to putting it on at home for the first time and wishing you chose a different color or material.

I'm sure there will be plenty of demo models showcasing a variety of band options already installed, so changing bands would largely be unnecessary.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think by the time the 2nd gen watch comes out, they'll have a sales track record and regular watch stores will also sell Apple Watches.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Good. Cut down on scalpels as much as possible.

Yes, wouldn't want to cut into profits...

• Reply 5 of 91
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    thrang wrote: »
    I'm sure there will be plenty of demo models showcasing a variety of band options already installed, so changing bands would largely be unnecessary.
    Not that they couldn't do this, but they would literally have to have every size and band combination they sell.

I wonder if this prevents putting a stainless band on a sport watch for instance?

However, one thing I would like to see as a potential customer is how easy it is to replace bands. Seems like it might be a more time consuming process than it otherwise appears. Perhaps at that volume a strain on a single demo watch mechanism?

It does raise the question about selling additional bands. Until you see the watch and band on your wrist, how I'll you know? Perhaps once you buy a watch and bring it in with you, they will let you demo other bands on your own watch? EDIT: (Then again since they all look alike, I guess a customer can just try on the store demo model corresponding to the specific combination they own and are interested in).
  • Reply 6 of 91
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Not that they couldn't do this, but they would literally have to have every size and band combination they sell.

I wonder if this prevents putting a stainless band on a sport watch for instance?

However, one thing I would like to see as a potential customer is how easy it is to replace bands. Seems like it might be a more time consuming process than it otherwise appears. Perhaps at that volume a strain on a single demo watch mechanism?

It does raise the question about selling additional bands. Until you see the watch and band on your wrist, how I'll you know? Perhaps once you buy a watch and bring it in with you, they will let you demo other bands on your own watch?

So much of the watch buying process is contrary to the typical Apple product purchasing process. Many options, will require far more consideration and time interacting with staff, etc...
  • Reply 7 of 91
    So much of the watch buying process is contrary to the typical Apple product purchasing process. Many options, will require far more consideration and time interacting with staff, etc...

I like that there will be more of an orderly process. You know there would be people who have no intention of buying the watch in the store wasting store employees time.
  • Reply 8 of 91
    rogifan wrote: »
    I like that there will be more of an orderly process. You know there would be people who have no intention of buying the watch in the store wasting store employees time.
    It does sound like there will be some subtle pressure to buy for anyone who does take up an employees time to mitigate that:
    if a person simply walks into an Apple Store, retail workers should offer the option to try on a Watch, but then help them place an order through Apple's website or the official Apple Store app
  • Reply 9 of 91

Back when I used to buy watches, I'd usually take no less than a week considering my options, unless I happened upon a watch that was exactly what I had in mind.
  • Reply 10 of 91
    It does sound like there will be some subtle pressure to buy for anyone who does take up an employees time to mitigate that:
    if a person simply walks into an Apple Store, retail workers should offer the option to try on a Watch, but then help them place an order through Apple's website or the official Apple Store app

Indeed, but that could backfire.

I predict that a lot of people will be put off even trying one because of the pressure to buy. When you can try an iPhone or iPad in the shop, it's much more relaxed. If you have to book an appointment, it introduces another barrier to the sale.
  • Reply 11 of 91
    Back when I used to buy watches, I'd usually take no less than a week considering my options, unless I happened upon a watch that was exactly what I had in mind.
    For most isn't the ?Watch exactly what they want? ;-)
  • Reply 12 of 91
    sog35 wrote: »
    Indeed, but that could backfire.

I predict that a lot of people will be put off even trying one because of the pressure to buy. When you can try an iPhone or iPad in the shop, it's much more relaxed. If you have to book an appointment, it introduces another barrier to the sale.

LOLOLOLOL.

Looks as though you will be banned for a month after they sell 15 million of these this year.

The demand is so intense you won't be able to do walk in's

Happy to educate you. ????
  • Reply 13 of 91
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Does anyone know if Apple have started taking appointments yet for the 10th? I want to try out the SS link and SS Milanese loop versions.
  • Reply 14 of 91
    irnchriz wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Apple have started taking appointments yet for the 10th? I want to try out the SS link and SS Milanese loop versions.

Ring Apple customer services (and try not to get stuck in a loop), but I haven't seen a link here to reservations.
  • Reply 15 of 91
    I don't see what the pressure is. That seems geared more towards people who don't have an appointment and just walk in. I doubt anyone who's not interested in the watch is going to be pressured into buying one by a store employee.
  • Reply 16 of 91
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I think by the time the 2nd gen watch comes out, they'll have a sales track record and regular watch stores will also sell Apple Watches.

Personally I think it is going to be while before version 2 comes out, I think it going to follow the Apple TV model. They are in data collections mode at this point. They trying to learn as much as possible before they roll the design.

As it was pointed out , much of the motion and health monitoring hardware and software used in the watch was being beta tested in the 5s and then the 6. I suspect they are thing in the current watch which is being tested as well which will show up as an improved product in the future. Remember they apple said they have no plans to reveal the sales of the watch.
  • Reply 17 of 91
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Personally I think it is going to be while before version 2 comes out, I think it going to follow the Apple TV model. They are in data collections mode at this point. They trying to learn as much as possible before they roll the design.

As it was pointed out , much of the motion and health monitoring hardware and software used in the watch was being beta tested in the 5s and then the 6. I suspect they are thing in the current watch which is being tested as well which will show up as an improved product in the future. Remember they apple said they have no plans to reveal the sales of the watch.

They're not obligated to, but I'm sure we'll hear sales numbers. The reason they're burying it in accessories is to hide the margins on these things, at least initially.

• Reply 18 of 91
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

Yes, wouldn't want to cut into profits...

I'm kind of on edge to see what will happen.

• Reply 19 of 91
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is an interesting site:

http://bandswapper.com/

Neatly solves a couple of issues with the sport bands. 

• Reply 20 of 91
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member

What am I missing here?

If a person preorders an Apple Watch on April 10, will the watch ship to them on April 24, or will they be required to pick it up in-store? Or will the preorder simply provide the customer with the option to make a try-on appointment at an Apple Store (at which time presumably they could change their mind on the model and size)?