Rumor: Apple's jumbo 'iPad Pro' allegedly shown in spy shots with potential second port

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

1.6 or 1.7 makes no difference to me at all.

It should have an A9 or A9x chip. If it's not ready yet, then they should wait.

I was looking forward to buying an iPad Pro, but if it's going to come with an A8X, just like in the Air 2, then I doubt that I'll upgrade, because it wouldn't really be an upgrade, more like a sidegrade, and I would just wait for the next iPad Pro 2, which will be more powerful.

As the 'pro' has more space for battery and more ability to dissipate heat they could simply clock it higher, maybe as much as 20% higher.  It would be an upgrade.   It could even be the A8XE  :)  

• Reply 22 of 47
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I can, so you can mount it in each orientation. Either 2x Lightning or 2x USB-C, but I can't imagine it being one of each on different sides of the device. Personally, I'm hoping we see USB-C across the board.

I find it hard to believe Apple will try to dump the lighting connector so soon after changing to it. A lot of people were upset about having to buy all new stuff. Making them do it again a couple of years later would not go over well imo
  • Reply 23 of 47
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    captain j wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe Apple will try to dump the lighting connector so soon after changing to it. A lot of people were upset about having to buy all new stuff. Making them do it again a couple of years later would not go over well imo

1) It would be atypical for an iDevice considering how long they used the 30-pin connector, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for how they've adopted standardized ports and protocols when their homegrown solutions were no longer the best options.

2) What new stuff would people have to buy for, say, an iPhone if we're talking in 18 months when they do a casing change?
  • Reply 24 of 47
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) It would be atypical for an iDevice considering how long they used the 30-pin connector, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for how they've adopted standardized ports and protocols when their homegrown solutions were no longer the best options.

2) What new stuff would people have to buy for, say, an iPhone if we're talking in 18 months when they do a casing change?

All new cables and any accessories they may have. With Apple having locked down the lighting tech these things cost much more than the old 30 pin did.

I think if they do have a second port one for sure will be lightening. The other may need usb-c or a second lightening.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    captain j wrote: »
    All new cables and any accessories they may have.

1) What accessories? I seem to buy new accessories for my iPhone every couple years iPhone because the case design changes. If that's not a problem then what is the problem? How did people deal with this problem with 30-pin to Lightning transition?

2) iPhones comes with a cable, and USB-C would make this much less expensive, which means the real question is: How much money does Apple make from licensing Lightning and selling their cables?
  • Reply 26 of 47
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The 6+ uses the same SOC as the 6.

That being said, they could easily up the clock speed in the Pro, to 1.6 or 1.7GHz.

1.6 or 1.7 makes no difference to me at all.

It should have an A9 or A9x chip. If it's not ready yet, then they should wait.

I was looking forward to buying an iPad Pro, but if it's going to come with an A8X, just like in the Air 2, then I doubt that I'll upgrade, because it wouldn't really be an upgrade, more like a sidegrade, and I would just wait for the next iPad Pro 2, which will be more powerful.

My sentiments precisely.

I love my iPad Air 2, but would eagerly lap up a 13" iPad, but not if it's no quicker than mine. I think it's a mistake for Apple not to release this with an A9 processor. Quick though my iPad is, I'd still like it quicker. It still reboots occasionally in Safari due to memory overload.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    9secondko wrote: »
    Giving a full blown laptop only one port, but giving a tablet multiple ports?...

Seems like flawed thinking to me.

And artificially limiting the the lower end notebook line to increase value of the tablet line seems like a Microdoft thing to do.

Something very off about this.

Plus that case looks thick.

Doubt this is any new iPad.

The lack of a mute switch also saddens me.

I fear that Apple will release this beast underpowered, much like they did with the new MacBook. Guess we'll have to wait for second or third generation.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Really hoping for a stylus option this time. Maybe something clever in combination with force touch. I've put off other devices for too long. If it doesn't have it, I'm giving in. Wacom has some very nice options now.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Really hoping for a stylus option this time. Maybe something clever in combination with force touch. I've put off other devices for too long. If it doesn't have it, I'm giving in. Wacom has some very nice options now.

"If you see a stylus, they've blown it."

Steve Jobs
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Quote:

Steve Jobs

He was right. Has nothing to do with offering a good stylus for a Pro iPad.

He was talking about requiring a stylus for input and iOS has long since proved that a multipurpose OS on a mobile device shouldn't require accessories or pinpoint accuracy with pointing. It should as natural as holding a pad of paper. Yep. Everything that followed followed the same path to success, didn't it?

Now comes an iPad specifically for Pro uses. It will _still_ rely on touch input for most things, but just like some people use physical keyboards at times, people are going to want to use a stylus for the specific uses of drawing and doing work that requires pinpoint accuracy.

I'm guessing Steve Jobs would be fine with it, and might even have made a joke out of it.

• Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) What accessories? I seem to buy new accessories for my iPhone every couple years iPhone because the case design changes. If that's not a problem then what is the problem? How did people deal with this problem with 30-pin to Lightning transition?

2) iPhones comes with a cable, and USB-C would make this much less expensive, which means the real question is: How much money does Apple make from licensing Lightning and selling their cables?

Docks being the key issue, I believe.

• Reply 32 of 47

Docks being the key issue, I believe.

1) The dock I have uses the Lightning cable, and can use a Micro-USB, and possibly work with a USB-C cable.

2) Will having to a buy a new dock really keep Apple from updating their iDevice connector? What did people do when Apple moved from 30-pin to Lightning?
  • Reply 33 of 47
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

My sentiments precisely.

I love my iPad Air 2, but would eagerly lap up a 13" iPad, but not if it's no quicker than mine. I think it's a mistake for Apple not to release this with an A9 processor. Quick though my iPad is, I'd still like it quicker. It still reboots occasionally in Safari due to memory overload.

Customized A8x chip with 20-30% faster than Air 2 will work. No need for A9. Let's say higher clock speed or one more CPU core? Quad-core A8x, 8-core GPU and 2GB of RAM would be more than enough to run that 12.9" tablet.

• Reply 34 of 47
    fallenjt wrote: »
    My sentiments precisely.

Customized A8x chip with 20-30% faster than Air 2 will work. No need for A9. Let's say higher clock speed or one more CPU core? Quad-core A8x, 8-core GPU and 2GB of RAM would be more than enough to run that 12.9" tablet.

4GB RAM would be better. Otherwise, still looks like an Air 2+ to me.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    undefined
  • Reply 36 of 47
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

4GB RAM? LOL...well in 4-5 years, not now. It took Apple almost 5 years to go from 1GB to 2GB. What do you think?

• Reply 37 of 47
    fallenjt wrote: »
    4GB RAM? LOL...well in 4-5 years, not now. It took Apple almost 5 years to go from 1GB to 2GB. What do you think?

Stranger things have happened at sea. ;)
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaronsullivan View Post

Quote:

Steve Jobs

He was right. Has nothing to do with offering a good stylus for a Pro iPad.

He was talking about requiring a stylus for input and iOS has long since proved that a multipurpose OS on a mobile device shouldn't require accessories or pinpoint accuracy with pointing. It should as natural as holding a pad of paper. Yep. Everything that followed followed the same path to success, didn't it?

Now comes an iPad specifically for Pro uses. It will _still_ rely on touch input for most things, but just like some people use physical keyboards at times, people are going to want to use a stylus for the specific uses of drawing and doing work that requires pinpoint accuracy.

I'm guessing Steve Jobs would be fine with it, and might even have made a joke out of it.

I have yet to see a stylus on a tablet (or whiteboard) that doesn't have that slight lag from the tip to the line generated under it.

I use my iPad all the time for notes and looking up info, and even occasional sketching, but I usually sketch block diagrams or other technical layouts on paper (before creating formal CAD submittals). I tried a couple of the conductive tip styluses on the iPad, and was not impressed. Granted, these were cheaper models, and while I have not tried the more expensive options out there, I don't see how the existing technology can avoid this lag.

I guess the lag is something that many people get used to, but if there was a way that an "iPad Pro" (or any iPad for that matter) were created with the tech necessary to work with a stylus that has the same immediacy as pen/pencil on paper, I think it would be very popular.

• Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundaboutNow View Post

I have yet to see a stylus on a tablet (or whiteboard) that doesn't have that slight lag from the tip to the line generated under it.

I use my iPad all the time for notes and looking up info, and even occasional sketching, but I usually sketch block diagrams or other technical layouts on paper (before creating formal CAD submittals). I tried a couple of the conductive tip styluses on the iPad, and was not impressed. Granted, these were cheaper models, and while I have not tried the more expensive options out there, I don't see how the existing technology can avoid this lag.

I guess the lag is something that many people get used to, but if there was a way that an "iPad Pro" (or any iPad for that matter) were created with the tech necessary to work with a stylus that has the same immediacy as pen/pencil on paper, I think it would be very popular.

I would love the Pro to have a digitiser on the screen to account for lag and accuracy. In fact, if the Pro does turn out to be a reality this year, for me it will be the Apple product of the year, even though I am really excited about the Apple Watch.

P.S. Hope you are feeling better now. Someone has quoted you!

• Reply 40 of 47
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

The "port" could be...

1. Kensington lock port

2. Special port to connect an external dock to for your keyboard, mouse, monitor, digitizer, printer, etc...

3. A hoax !!