Apple Maps Connect services branch out to Italy, Mexico, Switzerland

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Apple on Monday expanded the reach of its Maps Connect service for small businesses to three more countries, namely Italy, Mexico, and Switzerland.

The Maps Connect portal lets smaller companies submit and edit a Maps listing without having to enter into a complex arrangement with Apple. The goal has been to make Apple Maps more competitive with Google Maps in terms of helping customers find local shops and services.

Entries are submitted through a web interface, but fact-checked by Apple reviewers before appearing in the live edition of Maps.

Maps Connect first launched in late October of last year. At the time it was US-only, but it has since branched out to a handful of other regions. Those include Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, and the UK. With the latest additions, the service is available in a total of 12 countries.

Apple has struggled to increase the popularity of its Maps apps for iOS and OS X. Google Maps remains one of the most downloaded titles on the App Store, and is typically considered both more accurate and feature-complete. There is no Apple equivalent of Street View, for instance, and the company stripped out public transit directions when it abandoned Google content for iOS 6.

The first release of Apple Maps was fraught with missing or mislabeled content, which hurt Apple's reputation and was the subject of jokes in the media and on social networks. The service has improved substantially since then.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I love using Apple maps. The interface is great. The data has improved a lot since inception here in the UK.

That said, there's still a long way to go to equal Google. It's also hopeless for footpaths in central London. Open Street maps or Ordnance Survey maps are both better than Apple or Google for paths.
  • Reply 2 of 10

Apple Maps is practically unusable here in India, but when I was in London, I used it all the time and never once had to go to Google Maps. 

In terms of usability and UI, Apple Maps really is ahead of Google Maps. When it works!

• Reply 3 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Who here prefers Google Maps on their iPhone?

On a side note:
    I hope apple announces search soon.
  • Reply 4 of 10

In the United States, Apple Maps works really really well. 

Apple has done a great job in improving its Maps product.

And Apple continues to improve it.

Maps Connect is a great idea to allow businesses to enter their own Map locations!

• Reply 5 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple has done a great job in improving its Maps product.

And Apple continues to improve it.

I like the notifications when they have fixed an issue you have reported. The last two I put in were fixed in about a week.

• Reply 6 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple Maps is practically unusable here in India, but when I was in London, I used it all the time and never once had to go to Google Maps. 

In terms of usability and UI, Apple Maps really is ahead of Google Maps. When it works!

Which map service is usable in India? Is there a better homegrown alternative?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    At the moment in Switzerland Apple Maps is a bit of a problem. Most people rely here on the excellent public transport system, but while the tramlines are sometimes visible, no tram stations are listed at all and the tramlines themselves often disappear without reason, or get confused with railway lines which are a totally different system. To get to a business, most people need to know which tram stop to get off at, as well as the number of the line itself.

In bright sunshine of course the lack of contrast in order to give a 'flat' look really is unhelpful. Google maps is like this to some extent as well, but generally speaking features are more visible, and it does at least show public transport.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

At the moment in Switzerland Apple Maps is a bit of a problem.

Same with Panama.

Example: type in "David Panama bus station" Apple maps takes you to Taiwan.

Google Maps gets it perfect and also shows you things you might need like nearby hotels and also the airport.

• Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Which map service is usable in India? Is there a better homegrown alternative?

Actually, I use Google Maps all the time here. It allows for good searches, directions and dynamic re-routing as well. 

Apple Maps is very finicky about searches and I have no idea what format it is expecting it in. Addresses sometime aren't very straight forward, so more often than not I get nothing in the search results.

And if I try to look for directions, it says directions are not available.

I keep checking Apple Maps on and off to see if the services have opened up, but nothing still. 

• Reply 10 of 10
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    The absence of Googe Maps on Car Play hinders the adoption of Car Play. I'm in the market for a new vehicle, and my initial requirement was integrated Car Play. However, I think I'm dropping this requirement because I will have to continue to use Google Maps on my iPhone. Dynamic re-routing based on live traffic conditions as well as lane guidance - there's no way I would sacrifice these two features. Apple is shooting themselves in the foot by blocking Google Maps on Car Play.