Google unveils new $149 Chromebooks, Asus-made Chromebit stick computer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2015
Devices running Google's budding Chrome OS cloud-based operating system continue to fall in price, as the company announced two new laptop models from Chinese manufacturers Haier and Hisense, alongside a convertible Chromebook and thumb drive-sized "Chromebit" from Asus.




Haier's Chromebook 11 ships with an 11.6-inch display, powered by a 1.8 gigahertz Rockchip RK3288 processor. Inside the 3.3-pound package, buyers will find 2 gigabytes of RAM, 16 gigabytes of eMMC flash storage, and a battery that the company says will power the Chromebook 11 for up to 10 hours.

Competitor Hisense's own Chromebook is nearly identical, specification-for-specification, though its Rockchip processor is clocked slightly higher. The 2.5 gigahertz clock speed drops battery life down to just 8.5 hours.

Both machines are available for preorder today, for $149 each.




Taiwanese manufacturer Asus joined the party with the Chromebook Flip, an all-metal convertible laptop and tablet. Technical specifications are not yet available, but the Flip is expected to launch later this spring for $249.

Asus also announced the Chromebit, a minuscule computer-on-a-stick with an HDMI port on one end and a USB port on the other. Following the recent trend of devices-on-a-stick, the Chromebit will turn any HDMI-equipped monitor into a Chrome OS-based computer.

Technical specifications for the Chromebit are likewise unavailable, but it is expected to ship this summer for "less than $100."
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 26
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

    Today's "Chrome OS-based computer" is the Internet Appliance of yesteryear.

  • Reply 2 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The computer on a USB drive is kind of a cool idea.

    I wonder how many could be lashed together to create a bitcoin mining operation? LOL...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    I've always wanted to buy a laptop from a company that makes refrigerators. And I bet that Rockchip processor is a speed demon.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Haier. Right. Don't they make like air humidifiers and I dunno, bug zappers maybe? It's the last manufacturer that I would choose to make a [S]netbook[/S] ChromeBook.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post



    I've always wanted to buy a laptop from a company that makes refrigerators. And I bet that Rockchip processor is a speed demon.



    A computer with a built-in beverage holder? I'm in.

  • Reply 6 of 26
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Well nice to know that somebody won't be making any money, then.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

    These companies are UTTERLY incapable of creating a compelling device that people would spend their hard earned money on, so their only strategy is LOOK LOOK CHEAPER!! FREE!!! Yeah, thanks for the useless trash. What's the point? The consumer gets a shit experience, and these companies barely make any money. Oh yeah, "marketshare". 

  • Reply 8 of 26

    Does Google even have a long-term game plan? Or do they want to keep throwing $hit at the wall to see what sticks (like Samsung)?

  • Reply 9 of 26
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

    $149 is the standalone price. It's included free if you buy a box of CrackerJacks.

  • Reply 10 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post



    The computer on a USB drive is kind of a cool idea.

     

    I'd have to say that is pretty amazing to be able to fit everything in such a small device, but you will still need a keyboard. If you can get by with only online office apps like Office, iWork or Google then more power to you, but it certainly does not work for me.

  • Reply 11 of 26
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Say what you will, but these Chronebook products have real value and a reason to exist. Somewhere between iPad and MacBook, there are certain users I'd recommend a Chromebook to without hesitation.

    And if they're not long-lasting... The waste would be a shame, but at those prices, just buy another!

    An iPad with a GOOD keyboard is probably better for most people--and costs more too. Sometimes money IS an object. Better a decent Chromebook (I'm sure some exist) than some awful cheap Dell.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    Say what you will, but these Chronebook products have real value and a reason to exist. Somewhere between iPad and MacBook, there are certain users I'd recommend a Chromebook to without hesitation.



    And if they're not long-lasting... The waste would be a shame, but at those prices, just buy another!



    An iPad with a GOOD keyboard is probably better for most people--and costs more too. Sometimes money IS an object. Better a decent Chromebook (I'm sure some exist) than some awful cheap Dell.

     

    your reasons for being dont sound terribly convincing. because, cheap?

  • Reply 13 of 26
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    nagromme wrote: »
    there are certain users I'd recommend a Chromebook to without hesitation.

    You're correct.

    The expression, "Keep your friends close, but give your enemies Chromebooks" is just as relevant today as it has been in the past few years.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    Say what you will, but these Chronebook products have real value and a reason to exist. Somewhere between iPad and MacBook, there are certain users I'd recommend a Chromebook to without hesitation.



    And if they're not long-lasting... The waste would be a shame, but at those prices, just buy another!



    An iPad with a GOOD keyboard is probably better for most people--and costs more too. Sometimes money IS an object. Better a decent Chromebook (I'm sure some exist) than some awful cheap Dell.

     

    Yeah, I don't see any reason not to have one of these Chromebits on a big screen or two around the house. My 11-yo daughter's Lego Robotics team also is creating an Android app for next year's competition, and they use MIT's App Inventor 2 for that. So the team could gather in a family room or in our outdoor kitchen area next to the pool, and work as a team on the code (App Inventor runs fine on a Chromebook).

     

    There are a lot of family and team situations where this solution would be really nice.

  • Reply 15 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,301member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

     

    Does Google even have a long-term game plan? Or do they want to keep throwing $hit at the wall to see what sticks (like Samsung)?


    Didn't you hear? They're partnering with J&J and are going to now get involved with robotic surgery. Next week they'll announce they're building a spaceship to go to Mars. They have absolutely no idea what they want to be when they grow up.

  • Reply 16 of 26
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    It's the same approach as Android, a free "good enough" OS that allows 3rd parties to ship really cheap crap into the market.

    It's the PC-equivalent of a knock-off iPad.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    The computer on a USB drive is kind of a cool idea.

    I wonder how many could be lashed together to create a bitcoin mining operation? LOL...

    And it must be soooooooo powerful! They'll be editing 3D movies on it....
  • Reply 18 of 26
    nagromme wrote: »
    Say what you will, but these Chronebook products have real value and a reason to exist. Somewhere between iPad and MacBook, there are certain users I'd recommend a Chromebook to without hesitation.

    And if they're not long-lasting... The waste would be a shame, but at those prices, just buy another!

    An iPad with a GOOD keyboard is probably better for most people--and costs more too. Sometimes money IS an object. Better a decent Chromebook (I'm sure some exist) than some awful cheap Dell.

    Where are the articles about what these companies are doing for the environment? Sure they will be able to sell millions but where is their commitment to making highly recyclable products or offering a buy back to recycle? I would love forsomeone explain to me how one can make a $149 dollar computer without offsetting costs to the environment or to workers! Apple is always front and centre in these debates but I rarely, if ever, hear anything about other tech companies. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHH. Could apple be doing more... probably... but at least they're making strides.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Why is this story on here?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sagan_student View Post





    Where are the articles about what these companies are doing for the environment? Sure they will be able to sell millions but where is their commitment to making highly recyclable products or offering a buy back to recycle? I would love forsomeone explain to me how one can make a $149 dollar computer without offsetting costs to the environment or to workers! Apple is always front and centre in these debates but I rarely, if ever, hear anything about other tech companies. AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHH. Could apple be doing more... probably... but at least they're making strides.

    These are two companies in China, what do you think?

Sign In or Register to comment.