Apple's ultra-thin 12-inch MacBook benchmarks on par with 2011 MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    portcity wrote: »
    A $1299 laptop in 2015 that has a processor that compares to a 2011 model is disappointing. Since the Core M is made for tablets and ultraportable laptops it is probably comparable to the A8x in the iPad Air 2, which is probably a better buy if you are just doing web browsing, email, Netflix etc. Just get yourself a keyboard cover and save a few hundred.

Base level MacBook comes with full size keyboard, force touch trackpad, 256GB storage and 8GB RAM. Oh and a 12" screen. I'll bet Safari browser tabs won't constantly re-load and/or crash on this machine.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    hmm wrote: »
    There wasn't an enormous spread between the top and bottom processors in that tdp range. I do think the comparison misses the mark though. What matters is how it runs typical basic (or any other) applications today.

But that doesn't drive clicks. MacRumors thread is full of people hating on a machine they haven't spent 1 second with all because of some benchmark number. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 43 of 106
    mstone wrote: »
    Windows user. 

Spec-wise it is a Joe Average machine but not price-wise. You are paying a lot for the elegance of the design and the Apple brand.

Well I'm seriously considering it. I'll probably wait to see how iOS 9 is before making a decision. If it still has some of the problems from iOS 8 I very well may stick my iPad in the drawer.
  • Reply 44 of 106
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,413member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But that doesn't drive clicks. MacRumors thread is full of people hating on a machine they haven't spent 1 second with all because of some benchmark number. image

Yep, a little technical knowledge is turning children into forum members who claim to know better than a CEO. Their arrogance is more than merely annoying, it's ruining these forums that used to be so enjoyable. I see fewer and fewer real contributors around who post more than, "lame."

This latest MacBook is a feat of modern engineering, only the juvenile and ignorant spec-whores can't see that. It's not for everyone, but for so many others it hits the mark perfectly, and so beautifully I must add.

• Reply 45 of 106
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    edit: The trolls win. There is just too much jackassary around here these days. I think I've had it with this forum for awhile.
    Hmmmm ... I think I'll join you. I'm checking out, too. I'll go and peruse some other sites. I'll still read AI, just not the comments. It gets to be too predictable and the bitching gets tedious.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

edit: The trolls win. There is just too much jackassary around here these days. I think I've had it with this forum for awhile.

Be careful Solips.  Heaven's forbid you're implying the mods aren't doing their "thankless" and "voluntary" jobs.  Otherwise, all posts alluding to the fact that the mods have lately had the attention-span of a mosquito will be summarily deleted, and may result in an outright ban.

Take a break Solips.  Maybe during your walks, if you accidentally trip on a mod sleeping on the floor, tell them to get back to work.. if that concept is even a requirement to be a mod for AI.

• Reply 47 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Well I'm seriously considering it. I'll probably wait to see how iOS 9 is before making a decision. If it still has some of the problems from iOS 8 I very well may stick my iPad in the drawer.

Well as you read, I said a machine for Presidents and CEOs so no criticisms. I'm a power user but this is a perfect machine for my boss who is coincidentally using the same MBP that I have but is running Windows on it.

• Reply 48 of 106
    sflocal wrote: »
    solipsismy wrote: »

Be careful Solips.  Heaven's forbid you're implying the mods aren't doing their "thankless" and "voluntary" jobs.  Otherwise, all posts alluding to the fact that the mods have lately had the attention-span of a mosquito will be summarily deleted, and may result in an outright ban.

Take a break Solips.  Maybe during your walks, if you accidentally trip on a mod sleeping on the floor, tell them to get back to work.. if that concept is even a requirement to be a mod for AI.

Fuçk them. I am asking to be banned.

And if I am, may I please request that it be noted under my username? Thanks! :smokey:
  • Reply 49 of 106
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Couldn't agree more. I have simply stopped posting in a lot of the threads.

The jackassery extends to the AWOL mods. I hope they realize that they're sacrificing the long term for the short term. It's just too bad, since AI is still one of the best things out there for a true Apple fan. It's fast going downhill, though....

I've been here five years, seen some pretty bad trolls come and go, the forum always held up in general tone. Not this time.

The one we got now spreads a sulfurous vapor that chokes the discussion.

As for the mods, I saw one of them engaging with BF the other day as if he were a legitimate poster. I don't know how AWOL they've been. Someone has been deleting my posts that call for BF's banning.

I'm outta here too, for as long as I can stand to see the one decent Apple news site decline into irrelevance. That's what BF is getting paid to do, in my opinion.
  • Reply 50 of 106
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,323member
    Quote:

So I guess blame Intel? Are people complaining about the Windows PCs using this processor? And how many MBA owners actually need that beefier CPU?

This is true.... it will be an ideal laptop for many people. So many people have MacBook Airs and Pros that they barely squeeze the potential out of. The new MacBook would be perfectly suited to them. Might not be greater performance, but Apple has achieved greater engineering, and that moves technology forward. We should be grateful. 

• Reply 51 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

This is true.... it will be an ideal laptop for many people. So many people have MacBook Airs and Pros that they barely squeeze the potential out of. The new MacBook would be perfectly suited to them. Might not be greater performance, but Apple has achieved greater engineering, and that moves technology forward. We should be grateful. 

Pretty much. So many people have more horsepower than they need.

Windows side, if you have anything that ran Vista even moderately well, the average user can run 7, 8, or 10 on that even better and likely do everything they need to. OS X needs a little more power but still.

• Reply 52 of 106
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member

If this really is the swan song thread for the posters worth reading, it saddens me greatly to hear it.  But I get it, I really do.

I'm far from the brightest bulb in here, but this community (up until this year, at least) has been a source of education (with a grain of salt), amusement, and USEFUL perspectives for me.

I once referred to this community as chili... but yeah, it really is growing sour and off-putting. 

And it's not just here.  Someone, PM me please, about sites worth visiting.

• Reply 53 of 106
    I think I'll wait for the Skylake version of this beauty to be unveiled, or else I'll go with the Skylake version of the 13" MacBook Pro later this fall.
  • Reply 54 of 106
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Apple finally made a Netbook /s

Hey, wasn't the iPad supposed to spell the death knell of these low powered notebooks?

• Reply 55 of 106
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

But that doesn't drive clicks. MacRumors thread is full of people hating on a machine they haven't spent 1 second with all because of some benchmark number. image

I do get the problem with going by benchmarks. It's just not a very meaningful metric. I was also pointing out that the performance in 2011 is irrelevant. This ships with a different OS, and overall performance with whatever is shipping today is the important thing. Older hardware can often appear like it was never usable, but it didn't run the same software.

• Reply 56 of 106
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Yep, a little technical knowledge is turning children into forum members who claim to know better than a CEO. Their arrogance is more than merely annoying, it's ruining these forums that used to be so enjoyable. I see fewer and fewer real contributors around who post more than, "lame."

This latest MacBook is a feat of modern engineering, only the juvenile and ignorant spec-whores can't see that. It's not for everyone, but for so many others it hits the mark perfectly, and so beautifully I must add.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Hmmmm ... I think I'll join you. I'm checking out, too. I'll go and peruse some other sites. I'll still read AI, just not the comments. It gets to be too predictable and the bitching gets tedious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And if I am, may I please request that it be noted under my username? Thanks! image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I've been here five years, seen some pretty bad trolls come and go, the forum always held up in general tone. Not this time.

The one we got now spreads a sulfurous vapor that chokes the discussion.

As for the mods, I saw one of them engaging with BF the other day as if he were a legitimate poster. I don't know how AWOL they've been. Someone has been deleting my posts that call for BF's banning.

I'm outta here too, for as long as I can stand to see the one decent Apple news site decline into irrelevance. That's what BF is getting paid to do, in my opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

If this really is the swan song thread for the posters worth reading, it saddens me greatly to hear it.  But I get it, I really do.

I'm far from the brightest bulb in here, but this community (up until this year, at least) has been a source of education (with a grain of salt), amusement, and USEFUL perspectives for me.

I once referred to this community as chili... but yeah, it really is growing sour and off-putting. 

And it's not just here.  Someone, PM me please, about sites worth visiting.

Yep, yep, yep, yep, and yep. What you've seen are 5 posts on a single page from long term, quality posters who have expressed in no uncertain terms that they are fed up with this forum. I couldn't agree more. Mods, are you listening? I have no idea what angle you're playing at here. Supporting and protecting long term trolls like BF, at the expense and disgust  of every quality poster on this forum is just mind-blowing. The motivation to exert any effort to discuss anything in any kind of intellectual capacity on this board has been completely sapped by myself and countless others, because every thread is turned to shit by the same incessant 2-3 trolls, who are given carte blanche to destroy this forum, something that apparently is celebrated and endorsed by the mods. Amazing. 

• Reply 57 of 106
    musomuso Posts: 30member
    Hell, I think that's pretty good. I have a mid-2011 MBA with an i5 in it, and it's powerful enough. I have an iMac on the desktop at home for the big stuff. My MBA is powerful enough to record into Logic, which is probably the heaviest lifting I make it do.

I wouldn't use my MBA as my only computer, but as a "satellite" to an iMac, it's great. I expect the new Macbook would be great in the same application.
  • Reply 58 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yep, yep, yep, yep, and yep. What you've seen are 5 posts on a single page from long term, quality posters who have expressed in no uncertain terms that they are fed up with this forum. I couldn't agree more. Mods, are you listening? I have no idea what angle you're playing at here. Supporting and protecting long term trolls like BF, at the expense and disgust  of every quality poster on this forum is just mind-blowing. The motivation to exert any effort to discuss anything in any kind of intellectual capacity on this board has been completely sapped by myself and countless others, because every thread is turned to shit by the same incessant 2-3 trolls, who are given carte blanche to destroy this forum, something that apparently is celebrated and endorsed by the mods. Amazing. 

Yep, I joined this forum a little while back, having been an avid reader of the site for years. I only contributed when I felt I had something meaningful to add to the discussion. I stopped contributing to this forum a while back. Along with the occasional bigotry, there a a few trolls who don't belong here, & should have been banned. As far as BF goes, you are wasting your time responding to his posts - clearly he is a sociopath .

• Reply 59 of 106
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I wonder if the majority of the people would even really notice a difference. I very much like the new Macbook... but I would only us it for my project management tasks. For my development tasks it would not be usable.

That being said... I am sure I could do all my pm tasks on an iPad "pro"... which would be pretty awesome as well.

But.... what really is exciting about the new 12" Macbook is what it can bring to the 15" Macbook Pro. It is my opinion that there is a very substantial reason why we did not get a 15" refresh like that of the 13". I would not be surprised if a new 15" was introduced at WWDC. If you look at how Apple is starting to stagger products within each product group, this makes sense.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,123member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And if I am, may I please request that it be noted under my username? Thanks! image

I already got banned for criticizing the mods and the lack of pride they've shown in keeping the trash out of the forums.  They've been really good at deleting all my posts for questioning them, yet give a free-pass to the BF's and his ilk pi$$ing in everyone's pools.

Füçk the mods.  They are upsetting all the long-time enthusiasts here that made the forums the go-to place to discuss Apple for years.  That's sad.  The mods should be ashamed of themselves.

When they ban you, all I ask is that they ban me next.  I'm calling them out because I actually care about what they are NOT doing.