Apple Watch pops up on wrist of Pharrell Williams during NBC's 'The Voice' [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
As Apple Watch edges closer to release, it appears Apple is releasing sample units to high profile personalities, with Pharrell Williams being among the first.

Source: Dan Simon via Twitter

During Monday's airing of NBC singing competition "The Voice," Pharrell, who is a judge on the show, was seen sporting what appears to be a stainless steel Apple Watch with white polymer bracelet.

Pharrell is the first celebrity to show up in a highly public setting wearing an Apple Watch without Apple's supervision. Prior to today, other notables -- mostly fashion models -- posed as cover models in major print publications like Self, the UK's Style, Elle Australia, Fitness First, Hong Kong's East Touch and Canada's Flare.

Christy Turlington Burns and her family also have access to more than one Watch, but she is acting as a type of brand ambassador for Apple. Every week, Turlington Burns writes a diary entry about her experience with the device, especially as it pertains to her training for the London Marathon.

Apple Watch has been seen "in the wild" on the usual suspects like Apple CEO Tim Cook and other top level executives. For the most part, however, exposure to the media has been tightly controlled, like an arranged meet-up where SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue showed off Apple Pay on Apple Watch at Golden State Warriors basketball game last month.

Since its unveiling, Cook has openly worn the device at nearly every ensuing public event. On Monday, for example, Cook was seen sporting a Watch at the NCAA championship basketball game between Wisconsin against his alma mater Duke.

Update: Pharrell has subsequently posted a short video on Instagram showing off his Apple Watch with Mickey Mouse face.

Woah.

A video posted by Pharrell Williams (@pharrell) on Apr 6, 2015 at 8:16pm PDT

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Very nice. Don't really care or watch The Voice but thousands do and that's all that Apple cares about.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Looks like the 38mm version?

• Reply 3 of 43
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    slurpy wrote: »

That's what I think, with a "soft pink modern buckle" band.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

During Monday's airing of NBC singing competition "The Voice," Pharrell, who is a judge on the show, was seen sporting what appears to be a stainless steel Apple Watch with white polymer bracelet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

• Reply 5 of 43
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Cue pinkhuegate. You're lighting it wrong.

• Reply 6 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

So modest of the rich and famous to not wear the Edition. Apple is playing it very safe in trying to prevent class warfare.

It is the Edition edition. 

https://instagram.com/p/1KIXumEWwO/

• Reply 7 of 43
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Unless the picture is obscured, it's too narrow to be an Apple Watch. His Instagram video doesn't match what he's wearing in the picture.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Unless the picture is obscured,

The picture does look distorted.

His head is gigantic relative to his body...

• Reply 9 of 43
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    This is why Apple succeeds where Google fails.

For Glass, Google went out of their way to make sure only dorks had them. I associated them with looking like a boring git before they were even for sale.

Apple gets that they need to get them in the hands of "cool" people first.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, and of course Robin Thicke wears the larger size to match his big d.

See about 3:12 here (warning NSFW):

http://www.vevo.com/watch/robin-thicke/Blurred-Lines-(Unrated-Version)/USUV71300526

• Reply 11 of 43
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Unless the picture is obscured, it's too narrow to be an Apple Watch. His Instagram video doesn't match what he's wearing in the picture.

Follow the article image link for the uncropped version. It's a photo of a television taken at an angle.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    This is why Apple succeeds where Google fails.

For Glass, Google went out of their way to make sure only dorks had them. I associated them with looking like a boring git before they were even for sale.

Apple gets that they need to get them in the hands of "cool" people first.

Not only dorks, obnoxious dorks who went out of their way to evangelize the product and shove it down everyone's throat (with Google's blessing) as well as creeping everyone out, harassing business owners, and then starting smear campaigns against these businesses online after they politely ask them to take their face computers off while eating because they were making other customers uncomfortable. It's funny how quickly glass fucking disappeared, after such heavy hyping across the entire blogosphere and "this is the future" horse shit.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

So modest of the rich and famous to not wear the Edition. Apple is playing it very safe in trying to prevent class warfare.

Its fascinating reading people's judgmental posts. 

• Reply 14 of 43
    Quote:

If that is the 38mm version, I'm glad I'm hoping to get the 42mm version. 

I got a thing for big watches!

• Reply 15 of 43
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    If you watch his Instagram clip it looks like the 42mm in gold
  • Reply 16 of 43
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Nah.  That is the white band which reflects the colors around it - which is why it looks pink.

• Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyson12zoll View Post

It is the Edition edition. 

https://instagram.com/p/1KIXumEWwO/

Looks like steel to me.  It is simply reflecting his skin which is why it takes on a light gold hue.

• Reply 18 of 43
    Quote:

Pharrell is 5'9", 150 pounds, with a thin bone structure.  So the 38 mm version looks best with him. 

• Reply 19 of 43
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Twenty Goddamn posts and still nobody has stated the obvious. Looks like it's up to me:

No wonder he's HAPPY.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    ronstarkronstark Posts: 81member
    We are being pandered to as would a flock of lemmings! (I am completely aware lemmings do not travel in flocks, btw)

Wouldn't we all wear our Apple watch if given one? Certainly. You can't yet buy one. It would have been way better to give one to Pharell and ask him to wait to wear it in public AFTER to release of the product giving everyone the thought he bought one himself. But with his wearing it now tells us it was a gift "seeded" to a trendy celeb. Look for Taylor Swift and Jimmy Fallon to to be pimping AW.
    So here are some thoughts to fiddle with;
    Apple has never seeded any product like this. Don't thin they did with the iPod and that would have been a natural for any musician!

Did they advance their MacBook Air to a famous professor or cosmologist?

Follow the hype. Does the Waz have one yet?!