Photos of supposed Apple Watch, accessory strap packaging shows up online

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Weeks ahead of Apple's official Apple Watch launch date, a number of photos hit the Web on Tuesday allegedly revealing the device's packaging, as well as a first look at accesosry wrist bands.

Source: Jeremy Gan via Instagram

Posted to Instagram by user Jeremy Gan, who apparently works for The Daily Mail, the photoset shows what is claimed to be retail packaging for a 42mm stainless steel Apple Watch with Milanese loop band. Another photo purportedly reveals Apple's leather band with modern buckle.

If genuine, the photos prove Apple is treating Apple Watch in much the same way as traditional watchmakers package their wares, supplied in a felt presentation box with included retaining ring stand. Keeping in line with other Apple device offerings, however, Apple Watch packaging looks to be made of polycarbonate.

Commenting on the product itself, Gan says Apple Watch feels and works better than expected. As for band choices, Gan prefers the look and feel of stainless steel over the leather version.

Apple Watch preorders kick off on Friday at midnight Pacific, with the device scheduled for release on April 24. A memo from Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts leaked earlier today called on Apple Store employees to direct customers interested in purchasing Watch to the Online Apple Store, perhaps buffering against low in-store supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    It'll be curious to see the Sport packaging-more like iPods, perhaps?
  • Reply 2 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Welp this Instagram account is now private.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    rogifan wrote: »
    Welp this Instagram account is now private.

I don't really understand why either. It's a box. If he'd started a teardown that's one thing. Heck, if other people are wearing them in public...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I don't really understand why either. It's a box. If he'd started a teardown that's one thing. Heck, if other people are wearing them in public...

possibly not the final packaging?

• Reply 5 of 23
    Alright! Woohoo.. Finally a look at the Apple Watch band packaging.

I heard someone at work say they're going to order an apple watch. If I'm already hearing people say they want the apple watch, you know it's gonna have a big opening weekend. This looks like the iPod phenomenon all over again.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    It's minimalist genius! Nothing comparable to it except the Great Pyramid at Giza!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If genuine, the photos prove Apple is treating Apple Watch in much the same way as traditional watchmakers package their wares, supplied in a felt presentation box with included retaining ring stand….

….although, once the box is opened by its user, Apple's implementation will include the retaining ring stand rising from the box after a brief delay, while simultaneously playing the Mac boot tone in a higher register.

• Reply 8 of 23
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    A I needs to stop with these post. They only make me more anxious with anticipation ????
  • Reply 9 of 23
    justp1ayinjustp1ayin Posts: 213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

Alright! Woohoo.. Finally a look at the Apple Watch band packaging.

I heard someone at work say they're going to order an apple watch. If I'm already hearing people say they want the apple watch, you know it's gonna have a big opening weekend. This looks like the iPod phenomenon all over again.

I actually had two customers talking about it (husband and wife) plus a guy at work who wants one, and a few of us in my group of friends... Im curious to see how many we see out there in the wild in a few months.

• Reply 10 of 23
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    idrey wrote: »
    A I needs to stop with these post. They only make me more anxious with anticipation ????
    I see you shiver with anticip......
  • Reply 11 of 23
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Is this an Apple store retail employee or something that has posted these?

Whoever the Apple retail store employee that is connected to this leak needs to immediately be fired. They obviously should not be working for Apple. The article says that the account holder works for the Daily Mail, but they obviously got access to take pictures of the packaging somehow, and Apple should find out from whom.

One thing that I liked about Steve Jobs was that he was anal about leaks.

• Reply 12 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Is this an Apple store retail employee or something that has posted these?

Whoever the Apple retail store employee that is connected to this leak needs to immediately be fired. They obviously should not be working for Apple. The article says that the account holder works for the Daily Mail, but they obviously got access to take pictures of the packaging somehow, and Apple should find out from whom.

One thing that I liked about Steve Jobs was that he was anal about leaks.

I think what's more appauling are all the retail memo/training material leaks we've seen in the past week or two. This is material clearly meant for retail employees not the general public. I wonder if it's a disgruntled store employee leaking this stuff.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    I just knew the box would be covered in the signature Burberry plaid and when opened playing would be Beyonce's 'Dangerous In Love' and for the "Edition" a whiff of Cartier's "Santos" fragrance for a full multi sensory experience. LOL
  • Reply 14 of 23
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think what's more appauling are all the retail memo/training material leaks we've seen in the past week or two. This is material clearly meant for retail employees not the general public. I wonder if it's a disgruntled store employee leaking this stuff.

Doubtful. Leaking this stuff just to see it all over the net is reward enough, at least for people who crave their five minutes of anonymous fame. None of these are major leaks within the scheme of things, especially given that everybody will see this stuff in a couple of days anyway. Lest we forget, nothing of significance about Apple Watch leaked out before the big reveal, not even the name. If anything, Tim Cook has tripled-down on secrecy.

As for the Ahrendts memo, the AI spin on it seems kind of wrong. Pretty clearly one of her intended contributions to the Apple retail experience is to not force Apple's most loyal customers to suffer the indignity of camping out. Coming from upscale retail she no doubt sees that entire business as a big customer relations negative, and unnecessary, and she is right.

• Reply 15 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple has what, close to 300 retails store and tens of thousands of retail employees? At least one of these people is gonna leak stuff. It's not appalling, it's expected. We're too close to launch for stuff not to leak. The big stuff (Watch looks, software, name, details) was never leaked. Pretty impressive considering how long they worked on it (3 yrs), how much interest there is, and how complex of a product it was. 

• Reply 16 of 23
    jupiterone wrote: »
    I see you shiver with anticip......

Holly crap! Lol rocky horror eh
  • Reply 17 of 23
    slurpy wrote: »
    Apple has what, close to 300 retails store and tens of thousands of retail employees? At least one of these people is gonna leak stuff. It's not appalling, it's expected. We're too close to launch for stuff not to leak. The big stuff (Watch looks, software, name, details) was never leaked. Pretty impressive considering how long they worked on it (3 yrs), how much interest there is, and how complex of a product it was. 

Yes the security has been great for the ?Watch. Any how all these leaks just make more free advertisement for the ?Watch. Plus the pics might not be from an employee it might be from one of the celebs that got a freebie. Now the letters well, like somebody said, lots of employees, somebody is going to talk well leak
  • Reply 18 of 23
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Farhad Manjoo of NYT goes from 'meh, no killer app' a few weeks ago to 'the AppleWatch will change your life' in his review today.

Sheesh.... Welcome to the obvious, Mr. Manjoo.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Seems a reasonably fair review.
    Farhad Manjoo of NYT goes from 'meh, no killer app' a few weeks ago to 'the AppleWatch will change your life' in his review today.

Sheesh.... Welcome to the obvious, Mr. Manjoo.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/technology/personaltech/apple-watch-bliss-but-only-after-a-steep-learning-curve.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=second-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0&referrer=
  • Reply 20 of 23
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    It'll be curious to see the Sport packaging-more like iPods, perhaps?
    I can't wait to see the ?Car packaging! ;-)