Apple Watch reviews: world's best smartwatch, but nobody knows what a smartwatch should do

Comments

• Reply 41 of 132
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I'd rather they not talk about the custom jellyfish tank to capture details no one else can see until after they blow us out of the water with their engineering prowess.

the fact that it exists in the form that it does is already a demonstration of that engineering prowess. 

• Reply 42 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

3. anything that requires identification, such as replacement for keys, payments, tickets, work security passes (I think this is convenient but just a nice to have; and besides, I always wondered why Passbook never took off)

how do you mean Passbook never took off? every major airline, every major ticket outlet. i walk into Lowes and when im at the register it pops up by itself. i walk into the airport terminal and its likewise at the ready, and tells me of gate changes.

• Reply 43 of 132
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,381member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Fyi in case anyone is interested, Wired has more information on some of the watch faces. The motion watch faces are all photography and for the jellyfish Apple built a tank in their studio to shoot at 300 fps with high end slow motion cameras. Wow.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/apple-watch-design/

Very fucking impressive. This is why I love Apple- they go above and beyond what is sane, even when this will not be noticed by the user. 

As for the apps and software complaints, there's a good chance this will mostly be ironed out by launch. 

• Reply 44 of 132
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,381member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yes, Nilay Patel's The Verge

I noticed the site did go down the shitter after Topolsky left. I was really hoping Nilay wouldn't review the Watch- since I rarely agree with his sentiments- but of course he did. I think David Pierce would have done a much more insightful, and objective job. 

• Reply 45 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

I see little use for a touch screen that small. I do find some of the other features intriguing.Hopefully, the Taptic Engine features can be adapted to screenless and far less expensive devices we can wear on a wrist or ankle.

Even better would be adapting the tactile awareness features that Apple created to deal with that too-tiny screen to the movements we make with our iPhones. It'd make it easier to use.

huh? i think the screen is too big, not too small. i get that cheaper is always better, but as for "far less expensive devices", $350 doesnt seem very expensive to me for a portable computer (which, yes, will be able to run even third-party apps w/o an iphone later this year, per apple). 

• Reply 46 of 132
    Quote:

I'm surprised no review from Jim Dalrymple or iMore yet. But John Gruber has a long review up which I'm going to read now.

thought the same. i dont think The Loop is what it used to be...seems on autopilot.

• Reply 47 of 132
    Quote:

So Gruber's review isn't a full review. He's doing another one just for the user interface. The first one was pretty balanced. Negatives were not having an always on display, and having to charge every day. Positives were fit and finish of the device and force touch/taptic engine.

not exactly how he phrased it. he said daily charging is a negative compared to normal watches -- but he also said the battery life was better than expected and he never had a problem using it during the day and charging at night.

• Reply 48 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

One thing I haven't heard discussed is the possibility that the innards of the Watch are upgradable or replaceable for a fee. If Apple could stave off the obselescence of older models by upgrading them, that would be a compelling reason for fence sitters like me to buy one. Having heard no inkling of this, I don't think it'll happen.

not happening, for the same reason nobody upgrades the innards of their more-expensive iphones.

• Reply 49 of 132
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

how do you mean Passbook never took off? every major airline, every major ticket outlet. i walk into Lowes and when im at the register it popup up by itself. i walk into the airport terminal and its likeise at the ready, and tells me of changes.

I just expected more. I use it for airline tickets, but at least in the UK, that's almost all there is. And for most of these, I also have a separate App that displays the ticket, and the App usually gets the ticket before Passbook, ie I get the ticket on the App and then need to manually "Add" it to Passbook. I think most just keep it on the App. I was hoping that concert tickets, cinema tickets, car rental confirmations, etc would be on Passbook. I am also not clear if merchants can send Passbook tickets via email? I like i, I just wish more people would use it so that more merchants would use it.

• Reply 50 of 132
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

hey, thanks for letting us know -- i wasnt certain after you last couple hundred posts where you said the exact same thing, over and over. 

:)

• Reply 51 of 132

That screenshot of 'The Verge' is perfect. The so-called review was clearly staged and meant for Apple haters.

• Reply 52 of 132
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

My Apple-hating friends will have a field day with this, because they fail to see irony. One of them has a several Android Wear/Tizen watches--both 1st & 2nd gen Samsung Gear and the "flat tire" Moto watch. He'll declare the Apple Watch a failure if (1) it doesn't sell like the iPhone because (flawgic) that's the benchmark for all Apple products, or (2) if it doesn't offer any compelling value other than making using your phone more convenient. This is ironic because Fandroids don't judge their smart watches according to the same standard. My friend regularly raves about how convenient his Moto watch makes it so he doesn't have to pull out his cartoonishly large Galaxy Note 4 to see SMS or Google notifications. Apparently a second screen for Google Notifications is sufficient for him to declare an Android Wear watch a success, despite selling in extremely low volumes relative to the supposedly huge marketshare Android has. But he'll declare the Apple Watch a failure if it does more and sells more.

"cartoonishly large Galaxy Note 4". What do you call the iPhone 6 Plus which is taller with a smaller screen?

• Reply 53 of 132
    gatorguy wrote: »
    The compelling use case for any smartwatch, Apple Watch included, really hasn't been clearly defined. We had already seen reports that Apple's version isn't what they had originally envisioned (no fault of theirs) requiring them to change focus and marketing plans. IMHO it will take a couple of years to see whether a wrist-worn smart device adds enough value to attract the 10's of millions of buyers required to make it worthwhile for a dozen or more companies to bother targeting.

For the time being smart watches seem to me to be a solution in search of a problem.

But isn't that the challenge for all wearable tech?
    You can't find out the answer to that in a vacuum. Gotta put product out there, get consumer feedback, and iterate. Wearable tech is wide open with possibilities, but people and companies are working at answering that challenge. Someday, it will be clear. Someday we'll all wonder how people lived before it. I am reminded of that scene from The Pirates of Silicon Valley where Woz shows the first Apple I to his employer HP and someone says, "Why would people need a computer?" A solution in search of a problem in 1976.
  • Reply 54 of 132
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,087member
    But isn't that the challenge for all wearable tech?
    You can't find out the answer to that in a vacuum. Gotta put product out there, get consumer feedback, and iterate. Wearable tech is wide open with possibilities, but people and companies are working at answering that challenge. Someday, it will be clear. Someday we'll all wonder how people lived before it. I am reminded of that scene from The Pirates of Silicon Valley where Woz shows the first Apple I to his employer HP and someone says, "Why would people need a computer?" A solution in search of a problem in 1976.
    Yup. that's why I said it will take a couple of years before the value/usefulness is clearer.
  • Reply 55 of 132
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,087member
    applezilla wrote: »
    That screenshot of 'The Verge' is perfect. The so-called review was clearly staged and meant for Apple haters.
    Apple would have been the one to send it to them with the agreement they publish a review, right? IIRC they're even required to run the review past Apple before publishing it so that potential issues can be addressed. I imagine Apple knows what they're doing.
  • Reply 56 of 132
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member

Thank you for stating the same concerns I have been expressing for months here - the AWatch is a solution in search of a problem? Now are these journalists all "TROLLS"? Suck it!

• Reply 57 of 132
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Abdel Ibrahim, who runs the resolve podcast and watchaware.com site, said on Twitter that the wrong crowd got first take on ?Watch. I happen to agree. Almost all the reviews were tech and most were male. Hardly any of the reviews discussed the quality of materials used (Gruber said the Sport band feels luxurious) or fit and finish of the product. Nilay Patel at the Verge has been hating on this device since day one yet he's one of the first to get a review unit so we get a meaningless video review and stupid things like him blaming ?Watch because he got an Instagram notification during an important meeting. Hey dumbass how about turning on do not disturb if the meeting is that important. I believe Patel or someone else at the Verge also said they didn't like the milanese loop. Everyone other hands on I've read has nothing but good things to say about that band. So why Apple, why is Nilay Patel reviewing this device on day one?! And where are reviews from women and non tech geeks? Stuff like this drives me bonkers. Apple could be so much better at controlling the message.
  • Reply 58 of 132
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Abdel Ibrahim, who runs the resolve podcast and watchaware.com site, said on Twitter that the wrong crowd got first take on ?Watch. I happen to agree. Almost all the reviews were tech and most were male. Hardly any of the reviews discussed the quality of materials used (Gruber said the Sport band feels luxurious) or fit and finish of the product. Nilay Patel at the Verge has been hating on this device since day one yet he's one of the first to get a review unit so we get a meaningless video review and stupid things like him blaming ?Watch because he got an Instagram notification during an important meeting. Hey dumbass how about turning on do not disturb if the meeting is that important. I believe Patel or someone else at the Verge also said they didn't like the milanese loop. Everyone other hands on I've read has nothing but good things to say about that band. So why Apple, why is Nilay Patel reviewing this device on day one?! And where are reviews from women and non tech geeks? Stuff like this drives me bonkers. Apple could be so much better at controlling the message.

I'd like to see Apple put The Verge back on their banned list.
  • Reply 59 of 132
    slurpy wrote: »
    Very fucking impressive. This is why I love Apple- they go above and beyond what is sane, even when this will not be noticed by the user. 

As for the apps and software complaints, there's a good chance this will mostly be ironed out by launch. 

And here's another thing re: Apple and the right messaging: apparently there is a software update coming to deal with some of the UI lag, especially when loading 3rd party apps. Every reviewer should have been told that up front but it doesn't sound like they were. The watches that ship to consumers very well may not have many of these issues but they're showing up in reviews with no caveat that Apple is aware and working on a software fix. So annoying.
  • Reply 60 of 132
    I'd like to see Apple put The Verge back on their banned list.

Yes! Yes! Yes! They had no business reviewing this watch day one. It was a horrible review. But unfortunately their review is getting the most attention. :rolleyes: