Apple Watch reviews: world's best smartwatch, but nobody knows what a smartwatch should do

Comments

• Reply 61 of 132
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    not exactly how he phrased it. he said daily charging is a negative compared to normal watches -- but he also said the battery life was better than expected and he never had a problem using it during the day and charging at night.

Yes you're right. But if I had to label battery as positive or negative I think he was slightly more negative. Some other reviews said charging was fast enough that they could charge the watch before bed and wear it while they were sleeping. I think one reviewer said she used it as an alarm clock.
  • Reply 62 of 132
    slurpy wrote: »
    I noticed the site did go down the shitter after Topolsky left. I was really hoping Nilay wouldn't review the Watch- since I rarely agree with his sentiments- but of course he did. I think David Pierce would have done a much more insightful, and objective job. 

That site is horrible. Gizmodo and Buzzfeed horrible.
  • Reply 63 of 132
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I'm not a fan. No doubt it's impressive in person, reading about how it is made is compelling. A great idea in theory, but to me it makes look like a cheap digital watch from the 70s.

hey, thanks for letting us know -- i wasnt certain after you last couple hundred posts where you said the exact same thing, over and over. 

hey, thanks for taking my quote out of context and putting words in my mouth. What I actually wrote was this:

Quote:

But seeing the steel link bracelet on this guys wrist only reconfirms my initial reaction -- I'm not a fan.

I was talking about the steel link bracelet. I don't care for it. I know it takes 9 hours to craft each one, and the engineering is fantastic, but it doesn't look as amazing as the engineering suggests it should, and I'm even giving it the benefit of the doubt until I see it in person. I've never said the watch itself looks cheap, or isn't attractive, though I don't think it photographs well.

• Reply 64 of 132
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Thank you for stating the same concerns I have been expressing for months here - the AWatch is a solution in search of a problem? Now are these journalists all "TROLLS"? Suck it!

I would put more credence to user reviews once the watch is available to the masses than I would to reviewers. They are often biased one way or the other. As the watch is a very personal device, everyone sees the value proposition differently. I am interested in the watch as it is now, but am more intrigued by what developers can do with the platform down the road. At a $350 starting price, it's not going to break the bank to try one out, and I may be surprised at how useful it may end up being for me. If not, then I will sell it and move on. There maybe some software hiccups early, but I'm sure Apple will iron those out, no worries.
  • Reply 65 of 132
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,087member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Yes! Yes! Yes! They had no business reviewing this watch day one. It was a horrible review. But unfortunately their review is getting the most attention. :rolleyes:
    It's pretty certain Apple sent them an Apple Watch to review prior to it's release with the requirement they publish a review... BEFORE the official retail release. I think I also recall reading that when Apple does so one of the stipulations is that the review be run by them first before the article is published.

Apple's marketing arm doesn't typically do dumb stuff. If they didn't trust the Verge to do a fair review they wouldn't have sent them one to review. Pretty simple.
  • Reply 66 of 132
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    It's pretty certain Apple sent them an Apple Watch to review prior to it's release with the requirement they publish a review... BEFORE the official retail release. I think I also recall reading that when Apple does so one of the stipulations is that the review be run by them first before the article is published.

Apple's marketing arm doesn't typically do dumb stuff. If they didn't trust the Verge to do a fair review they wouldn't have sent them one to review. Pretty simple.

So you think the verge was a fair review.
  • Reply 67 of 132
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    sflagel wrote: »
    It seems to me that three use cases have already been identified:

1. Health, including biometric tracking (don't care much about this)
    2. Notifications (the most obvious one, I find that really useful)
    3. anything that requires identification, such as replacement for keys, payments, tickets, work security passes (I think this is convenient but just a nice to have; and besides, I always wondered why Passbook never took off)

The question is, do you really need such a sophisticated device for these functions, or is bluetooth and an NFC chip enough?

Although I'd love to hear more ideas from the forum members.

I am interested only in notification, static notification almost without interaction, like an icon with number of emails to be read or messages received or time to next scheduled event. For this reason, my ideal smartwatch should have a very low power CPU and E-ink-like always-on display, basically with extremely low power consumption (in the week/month range). They should investigate this direction.
  • Reply 68 of 132
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 68 of 132
    gatorguy wrote: »

But Phl Schiller is not Steve Jobs and Steve Dowling isn't Katie Cotton. Right now Apple's PR concern should be about getting as much positive press as possible. A friend texted me that the Today show LOVED the Watch. Maybe Apple needed more Today show and less Nilay Patel.
  • Reply 70 of 132
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

I do not get the outrage against the Verge.

They did a very solid review, bringing up new challenges* for Jony Ive and his very talented crew. This will definitely give them better focus for ? watch 2.

*The bar scene was very informative. It shows that the watch is not meant for all kind of notifications. Perhaps you should only get a tap from your VIPs or when you have to move on to the next meeting. Twitter notifications are just plain silly on your wrist.

• Reply 71 of 132
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

my ideal smartwatch should have a very low power CPU and E-ink-like always-on display, basically with extremely low power consumption (in the week/month range). They should investigate this direction.

I mentioned this before, a great hybrid would be a static e-ink watch face display with a transparent LCD display over, which offers everything the ?Watch display does when the power is activated.

• Reply 72 of 132
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

I am interested only in notification, static notification almost without interaction, like an icon with number of emails to be read or messages received or time to next scheduled event. For this reason, my ideal smartwatch should have a very low power CPU and E-ink-like always-on display, basically with extremely low power consumption (in the week/month range). They should investigate this direction.

I think some of the other watch manufacturers will release that type of "smart" watch. I can also imagine that for many users, especially current watch wearers, that would be "good enough" and indeed less conspicuous.

As you can see from my note, I believe I would like a little more notifications (eg name, and some text) for reminders, calendar, DMs, Messages, etc. But thanks for your view.

• Reply 73 of 132
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,238member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I mentioned this before, a great hybrid would be a static e-ink watch face display with a transparent LCD display over, which offers everything the ?Watch display does when the power is activated.

It wouldn't be a great hybrid.

It would be a kludge, but I can see it working out very well with a mechanical movement underneath. Let the watchmakers have this.

• Reply 74 of 132
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 794member

The second button is only there to bring up Contacts (it has a second function of double click for Apple Pay, but there is no reason they cannot implement that in the Crown). I find it odd that Apple adds this seeming out of place button, breaking what otherwise could be a symmetrical aesthetic.

Do people actually call up a Contacts first, and ten decide how to communicate? Do people use the "Recents" feature on the iPhone (the row of Contacts that appears when you double click the Home button)?

I usually (well, always), decide on the mode of communication (Messages, FaceTime, phone, Skype, WhatsApp, etc.) open that particular App, and then select the Contact. But Apple seems to want to change this habit and getting me to select the Contact first. I assume it is to encourage the use of Apple Communications EcoSystem (there is no option to use WhatsApp once you are in Contacts).

Will they succeed or shall they do away with that awkward second button?

• Reply 75 of 132
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

Will they succeed or shall they do away with that awkward second button?

I completely agree. I've hated the second pill-shaped button since I first saw it. That's about the only flaw I see in the otherwise brilliant case design.

• Reply 76 of 132
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

I'll hold off as these are most of the comments from all the reviews.

"The Apple Watch ... is kind of slow."

"Sometimes apps take forever to load, and sometimes third-party apps never really load at all. Sometimes it’s just unresponsive for a few seconds while it thinks and then it comes back."

"It’s also surprisingly heavy."

"[The] side button is extraordinarily confusing."

"In the first of many moments where the Watch felt underpowered, I found that the screen lit up a couple of ticks too slowly: I’d raise my wrist, wait a beat, and then the screen would turn on."

"Having a screen that constantly flips on and off is definitely behind the curve."

"There’s no particularly great digital face, and there’s no ability to load up your own watch faces or buy new ones from the store."

"There’s no master switch to turn all notifications on and off, which is a huge pain."

"By the end of each day, I was hyper-aware of how low the Apple Watch battery had gotten."

"You only get a charging cable, which is lame. For $700, you should a nice charging stand, like you get with the $249 Moto 360."

"There’s virtually nothing I can’t do faster or better with access to a laptop or a phone except perhaps check the time."

• Reply 77 of 132
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Abdel Ibrahim, who runs the resolve podcast and watchaware.com site, said on Twitter that the wrong crowd got first take on ?Watch. I happen to agree. Almost all the reviews were tech and most were male. 

... And where are reviews from women and non tech geeks? Stuff like this drives me bonkers. Apple could be so much better at controlling the message.

I am not sure if you're ready for it, but here's a video review from a witty woman of the Wall Street Journal.

• Reply 78 of 132
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,087member
    asdasd wrote: »
    So you think the verge was a fair review.
    Considering no one here has actually used one unlike the folks at The Verge it's a little early to say it was unfair isn't it?
  • Reply 79 of 132
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mr o wrote: »
    I am not sure if you're ready for it, but here's a video review from a witty woman of the Wall Street Journal.

That was very funny. Of course you can tone down the notifications.
  • Reply 80 of 132
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

"Other times they are way to complicating, frustrating and slow"

"There's always tomorrow, or version 2"

Not a good sign as most others are saying the same thing.