Review roundup: Apple's 12" MacBook ahead of its time, but hurt by weak processor, too few ports

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    The Verge is garbage. Ars's review of it was pretty good.

If you don't like it, buy an rMBP.

This, however, is the most telling:
    "Another interesting thing to note, though we didn't include it on these charts: the MacBook’s multi-core CPU performance is nearly identical to that of the iPad Air 2. The A8X still has lower single-threaded performance—it needs a third core to match the dual-core Core M—but we’ve gotten to the point where top-end ARM chips and low-power Intel chips have very similar power usage and performance characteristics."

That should send INTL plunging to the basement, personally, but most analysts are idiots.

I already own a 2014 rMBP, thanks. And the Verge couldn't get more pro-Apple shy of hiring Walt Mossberg as their managing editor. Even with all the criticism in that review, they still gave the thing an 8.4 score. Clearly they are one of the many tech blogs that is afraid of being accurately critical of Apple, lest they be blacklisted from future press events, and risk lucrative page views.

And clearly you know nothing about how computers actually work. ARM based processors require specially coded software like Linux, Windows RT or iOS. You can't compare them apples to apples to CISC-based processors like intel's Core M because they are entirely different beasts. If Apple ever did move to replace Intel chips with their own, that would mean a complete abandonment of all legacy software that wasn't written for the new ARM architecture, as ARM processors just aren't powerful enough to run the emulation required for them to function, a la Rosetta for older Power-PC based apps which was introduced in OSX Tiger. RISC chips by design will never be as powerful as full fledged CISC based chips, which is why Apple abandoned Power-PC procs in the first place, and anti-Intel fanboys like you need to get over that fact already. It's been almost a decade. Move on.
  • Reply 62 of 133
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

You know the brand new Canon 5Ds has an SD slot, right? There are countless workflows in professional photography where it makes the most sense to import from SD, and one would hope to not have to carry a card reader and a USB-C adapter on top of the photography gear.

You know that my iPhone syncs my photos via iCloud, right?  One would hope that they don't have to carry around a large digital SLR just to take random pictures for personal viewing.  Or pay for a built-in SD card reader they'll never use.

A MacBook Pro fits the needs of a media professional (photographer, videographer, audio engineer, graphic designer, etc), a MacBook fits the needs of others.

• Reply 63 of 133
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

please mind the language - and the mild attack, but the person is trolling. Its clearly NOT and iPad with a keyboard, it runs OS X - Im getting one, as my rMBP lives on the bench a lot (i design electronic insstruments) and I want to replace my 2011 (or 2012 i can't remember) 11 inch MBA. The MBA is what I travel with, and what I take home at night, its great, BUT I love retina screens - makes a big difference, especially to old eyes!

Yes, I'm clearly trolling. Any criticism of Apple products on this site = trolling. Pardon me while I remove my glasses and rub my equally aged eyes.
    Now the person above whom you chastised for bad language? THAT is trolling. A shoddy ad hominem attack as well.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jkichline wrote: »

It's only a short coming of the device because you perceive that it's one.
    It is a short coming because of reality, it is not a perception. Many users, including myself could make use of an extremely small laptop if it didn't have this designed in limitation. It is exactly the same problem that held back Mac Book Air sales when the machine first came out.
    There are many people who don't need all of those ports.  
    Yes I know that but that just means that Apple has fewer people to sell the product to. Besides we aren't talking about all of those ports we are talking about two USB-C ports instead of one. That is't a lot of ports but with USB-C it would mean that many use cases are covered.
    They will charge the device and if they have more needs, buy a docking station. Not a big deal.  If the device doesn't meet your needs, then buy something else.
    I already did buy something else! Besides it isn't a big deal, I'm just trying to present a reality that I see so that people don't go out and buy this machine thinking it is a highly flexible platform.

As for the docking station, Apple could have done the world a lot of good by adding a bit of hub functionality to the power adapter.

One port is enough.
    Not for most users. Especially when that port is also your charging functionality.
    Apple decided to remove the "hub" from the computer. Most likely this will integrate into a new monitor/hub that Apple will be releasing.  The device is built as a super-mobile device, not as a desktop replacement.  Most non-commercial services are wireless at this point, or should be.
    That is pure speculation, at this point it looks like Apple has totally lost interest in the monitor market. As for mobile, I'm not sure where you guys live but WiFi isn't widely available around here, in fact many times the cell connection is faster when you do find an open WiFI channel. I don't dismiss the prospects for wireless but it is a mistake to believe that it is pervasive country wide and it certainly isn't when traveling outside the USA. Beyond all of that I have to wonder if there are no hardware hackers in this forum, who has an Arduino, Propeller or other micro controller board to work with? Having a free port is a good thing.
    I'm not frustrated. I know of no one who is.  You are inventing your own frustration by setting unfounded expectations.  Just get a 13" MBPr and be happy.

You post nonsense here! My expectations are not unfounded they are based in reality. As for the 13" MBP just got one. The whole point of my posts is to make people aware of the real limitations of this machine. That doesn't make it a bad machine, just that it will never be the machine for a wide array of users. Frankly all the negative reviews that have hit the net don't even seriously consider the issues with the singular port and rather seem to make excuses for it.
  • Reply 65 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

And clearly you know nothing about how computers actually work. ARM based processors require specially coded software like Linux, Windows RT or iOS.

Actually, they only require a compiler which knows how to turn high-level code (Swift, Objective-C, etc) into low-level ARM CPU instructions.  The high-level code can be exactly the same for both Intel and ARM and you just tell the compiler which CPU you want it to run on.  Or you can compile it for both CPUs, glue both versions together, and let the operating system figure out which version to run (i.e. universal binaries for those who remember the PowerPC-to-Intel transition).

So really, as long as the Mac software you're using is being actively developed, it should simply be a matter of the developer building a version of it which can run on both Intel and ARM CPUs.  And if it's not being actively developed, it'll probably eventually break on a major OS X release at some point anyways, so one way or another you won't be able to use it at some point.

• Reply 66 of 133
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

You know the brand new Canon 5Ds has an SD slot, right? There are countless workflows in professional photography where it makes the most sense to import from SD, and one would hope to not have to carry a card reader and a USB-C adapter on top of the photography gear.

Well maybe this will finally convince camera manufacturers that SD is dumb. Instead of having to open a hatch, remove a card and plug it in... how about I just select the dumb camera and import right in my computer? Heck I wouldn't even have to take it out the camera bag. Why do I need to get all physical when the slowest 802.11ac is twice as fast as the fastest SD cards?

An SD card is only necessary for antiquated hardware workflows. It's time to make another step into the future.

• Reply 67 of 133
    Quote:

RISC chips by design will never be as powerful as full fledged CISC based chips, which is why Apple abandoned Power-PC procs in the first place, and anti-Intel fanboys like you need to get over that fact already.

Actually, they abandoned PowerPC because IBM's roadmap for PowerPC didn't take Apple where they wanted to go (low power G5 for laptops).  IBM lost interest for one reason or another and Apple was forced to move on.

As for "power", that's getting into slippery territory.  A CPU is as good as the compiler that's optimizing code for it, how it uses caches, data transfer bus speeds, etc.  So it's not as simple as one architecture is better than another.

• Reply 68 of 133
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How do you figure? Configure a 13" Air with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, then figure in the Retina Display and other new tech, and it's priced reasonably.

What's interesting is the person being "blamed" for this machine (aka Jony Ive) probably has very little, if anything to do with how it's priced. Phil Schiller probably has more say on the price of this thing than anyone else.
  • Reply 69 of 133
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,741member

I am surprised by some of the statements here. 

For sure YMMV, but when I think about which ports I use then it is for one of my MBP which I use for light stuff, like web browsing, Skype, mail, and the occasions pages, office, pixelmator etc. maybe twice a year USB thumb drive.

All the rest is going through my other machine where I use port more frequently, mainly for connecting my external display.

Therefore, for me this would be an excellent choice for replacing the above mentioned machine.

I haven't decided yet, and I will not before I have not treid it in person. However, I feel the retina display and light weight and increase in battery (compared to my current laptop) is outweighing the lower performance of the CPU, and possibly graphics.

I would never consider it, though, as a replacement for my other MBP, e.g., where CPU and ports are more important.

The only thing I am not sure about is whether the MAcBook could actually fully replace my iPad, when having an iPhone 6 as companion device. This might actually be the case.

Edit: To quote mashable:

Quote:

"This is the notebook for people who love their iPad but want something with a real keyboard and a bigger screen. It’s a great second computer to compliment an iMac or a larger MacBook Pro."

• Reply 70 of 133
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is a short coming because of reality, it is not a perception. Many users, including myself could make use of an extremely small laptop if it didn't have this designed in limitation. It is exactly the same problem that held back Mac Book Air sales when the machine first came out.

Yes I know that but that just means that Apple has fewer people to sell the product to. Besides we aren't talking about all of those ports we are talking about two USB-C ports instead of one. That is't a lot of ports but with USB-C it would mean that many use cases are covered.

I already did buy something else! Besides it isn't a big deal, I'm just trying to present a reality that I see so that people don't go out and buy this machine thinking it is a highly flexible platform.

As for the docking station, Apple could have done the world a lot of good by adding a bit of hub functionality to the power adapter.

Not for most users. Especially when that port is also your charging functionality.

That is pure speculation, at this point it looks like Apple has totally lost interest in the monitor market. As for mobile, I'm not sure where you guys live but WiFi isn't widely available around here, in fact many times the cell connection is faster when you do find an open WiFI channel. I don't dismiss the prospects for wireless but it is a mistake to believe that it is pervasive country wide and it certainly isn't when traveling outside the USA. Beyond all of that I have to wonder if there are no hardware hackers in this forum, who has an Arduino, Propeller or other micro controller board to work with? Having a free port is a good thing.

You post nonsense here! My expectations are not unfounded they are based in reality. As for the 13" MBP just got one. The whole point of my posts is to make people aware of the real limitations of this machine. That doesn't make it a bad machine, just that it will never be the machine for a wide array of users. Frankly all the negative reviews that have hit the net don't even seriously consider the issues with the singular port and rather seem to make excuses for it.

1) Then buy a Macbook Air 11". It has all the ports, battery life and processing power. Just missing the Retina display.  I'm still not seeing the problem. No one is forcing you to buy this. It is what it is. If you don't like the offering, then either adjust your expectations, communicate this to Apple, and/or move on to a different device.

2) I have a MacBook Pro Retina with a ton of ports. Guess what I do? I plug in a power cord and a Thunderbolt cord to run my entire desk.  Then I unplug that to go portable. The only things that can make that better is if I only plugged in one cord. I hardly never use the other ports except to test things or plug in an HDMI projector on the go.

3) I agree they should have stuck a regular USB port in there just so you can charge your phone.  Otherwise I would just get the power/USB/video dongle and be done with it.  It costs a few dollars more than the other dongle I would need anyway.

4) If you buy a MacBook, you always need to buy some kind of adapter for external video. It's been that way for years. I would assume that someone (Apple, Belkin, etc) will come out with a USB-C to Lighting charge/sync cord. But my iPhone 6 plus lasts two days without a charge now so...

5) I agree. They should have put a USB port on that thing. But I think the idea is that someone (Belkin for instance) will come out with a hub that gives you multiple USB ports, HDMI, ethernet, audio...

6) I don't think they have. I think they are waiting to release a Retina cinema display.  I don't think they want to play around in the low-end monitor market.

7) WiFi != Broadband.  With Bluetooth LE and peer-to-peer WiFi, you wouldn't need an Internet connection. WiFi is available where ever you can plug in a WiFi router, or wherever you have two or more modern WiFi devices.  You can now AirPlay to an AppleTV without a WiFi router even. So, you can throw a hard drive on your desk and connect to it wirelessly.  If you need super-fast access, you should probably be buying a device with a "Pro" moniker anyway.

8) You claim that the MacBook does not target a wide market by having dozens of ports... and then you wonder why their aren't more hardware hackers clambering about this.  They are not the target market. They are a tiny niche. The general population is the target market.... and they don't need ports.

9) I think if someone buys a machine without looking at it and saying "huh, it only has two holes in it" and then gets depressed about their purchase... they should have asked someone some questions. But thank you for the public service announcement.  It's like making sure you tell everyone that a sports card only has two seats and that any real driver needs a van with seven seats. It's pretty obvious to the buyer how many seats are in the car and I wouldn't get overly concerned that they'd have to put people in the trunk.

• Reply 71 of 133
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

May I present the Retina MacBook Pro?

I'm in a good position regarding this product; I used a 2008 Air for the last year, but I've since switched to a 2008 MacBook. Honestly I haven't used the SuperDrive, and I've only used the ports a few times, almost entirely USB. (I used the FW port to install Lion on my Mini, but I could just as easily used my Mac Pro for that). So a one-port laptop that's 2 pounds sounds amazing.

I was responding to the statement that SD is a useless technology. The fact that it's offered on other machines validates my point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

You know that my iPhone syncs my photos via iCloud, right?  One would hope that they don't have to carry around a large digital SLR just to take random pictures for personal viewing.  Or pay for a built-in SD card reader they'll never use.

A MacBook Pro fits the needs of a media professional (photographer, videographer, audio engineer, graphic designer, etc), a MacBook fits the needs of others.

I'm talking about a professional workflow (read my post again). 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Well maybe this will finally convince camera manufacturers that SD is dumb. Instead of having to open a hatch, remove a card and plug it in... how about I just select the dumb camera and import right in my computer? Heck I wouldn't even have to take it out the camera bag. Why do I need to get all physical when the slowest 802.11ac is twice as fast as the fastest SD cards?

An SD card is only necessary for antiquated hardware workflows. It's time to make another step into the future.

It's not the manufacturers pushing SD. It's the professional photographers. Say my job is to shoot river rafting all day from a disconnected location in the wilderness. I shoot a group of rafts, and hand my SD card to a runner who delivers the card to a connected environment.

Maybe I'm shooting soccer all day and hand off 500 photos every half so they can be batch processed and set up for on-site printing, but the shooter(s) have to stay on the field and hand off SD cards to assistants.

• Reply 72 of 133
    Quote:

I'm talking about a professional workflow (read my post again). 

And, in my reply, I stated that the MacBook is designed for consumer workflows and the MacBook Pro is designed for professional workflows.  Hence why the MacBook Pro is the machine you should be looking at.

I mean, you wouldn't buy a consumer camera for a professional photoshoot, so why would you buy a consumer computer for professional work?

• Reply 73 of 133
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,388member
    Quote:

I already own a 2014 rMBP, thanks. And the Verge couldn't get more pro-Apple shy of hiring Walt Mossberg as their managing editor. Even with all the criticism in that review, they still gave the thing an 8.4 score. Clearly they are one of the many tech blogs that is afraid of being accurately critical of Apple, lest they be blacklisted from future press events, and risk lucrative page views.

Love it, the cliched "The only reason that websites give Apple products good reviews is so that they don't get blacklisted" horse-shit. Do you have a shred of evidence that Apple has EVER blacklisted a SINGLE publication for a negative review? The only incident I recall is when Gizmodo peddled unreleased, stolen property (the iPhone 4). But yeah, go that route, proves to everyone how anti-intellectual and trollish you are, because then you can pretty much write-off every single positive review as "invalid". Don't forget the bags of money these reviewers receive too, eh? That's another great memes by trolls that refuse to aknowledge anything positive. 

Oh, and theVerge had the most negative Apple Watch review I read, out of the 15 or so that I saw, giving it a lower score than Android wear devices, even though the text of the review said it was the best in that category. Oh, and negative Apple reviews get alot more hits then positive ones- I'm sure you know that. 

But continue with the disingenuous horse-shit, and keep repeating that you're not a troll, while you peddle around every single discredited anti-Apple meme there is. 

• Reply 74 of 133
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The one port is my problem with it. It's a non start having one port that is also the power plug. The main use might be using it somewhere needing to plug it in and wanting to charge/sync your iPhone. It's a no go. I frequently charge my phone in my laptop port on the road where sockets may be few and far between

get a usb to c adapter. 

• Reply 75 of 133
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    get a usb to c adapter. 

I need a multi port to plug both in. Kind of defeats the purpose of the ultra portability
  • Reply 76 of 133
    Quote:

The one port is my problem with it. It's a non start having one port that is also the power plug. The main use might be using it somewhere needing to plug it in and wanting to charge/sync your iPhone.

Wait, so there's a power socket available to charge the MacBook, but not to charge the iPhone?

• Reply 77 of 133
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    auxio wrote: »

Wait, so there's a power socket available to charge the MacBook, but not to charge the iPhone?

Right often there's only one that's not in use by others. You can charge your phone from your computer you cannot charge your computer from your iPhone
  • Reply 78 of 133
    Quote:

Right often there's only one that's not in use by others. You can charge your phone from your computer you cannot charge your computer from your iPhone

Yeah, I've been in those charging lineups at airports before.  I usually just carry a plug splitter with me to work around that problem because I find that, for iPads anyways, it's much faster to charge from the wall socket than a USB port (not all USB ports provide higher power).

• Reply 79 of 133
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »

This is probably the first Mac I have no desire to own. The price is ridiculous.

maybe you don't need an ultra portable?
  • Reply 80 of 133
    One thing which I didn't hear too much about was that Apple removed the SD card reader from the MacBook. I find it very useful as some people (like me) still use digita cameras, so it's handy. I guess someday people won't miss those and use their iPhone for all their photography needs; it takes really good pictures and has wifi and cloud syncing. It's not a dealbreaker, I just thought it was very useful for consumer-oriented Macs like the Mini and iMac and MacBook Air to include the SD card reader. I am fully aware it can attached to the USB-C as another dongle.

I never used the SD readers in any of my Macs, and wondered why they were there. special use case.