Review roundup: Apple's 12" MacBook ahead of its time, but hurt by weak processor, too few ports

Comments

• Reply 101 of 133
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,760member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

My point of discussing a pro workflow was independent of the laptop selection. There was a claim made that SD was of no use and was on the way out. I clearly provided cases where it's useful and preferred technology.

So having to pop SD cards in and out of things and increasing the potential for data loss due to dropping/wear and tear/losing your SD card is preferred over having a high-speed wireless transfer system that has none of those problems?

Quote:

I can create a list of valid situations for a Macbook to end up receiving SD cards from a pro photographer, but I don't see the point. Obviously an MB Pro is preferred. There are people making a living on Rebel bodies (consumer bodies), and obviously a 1DX or 5Ds are preferred.

I was talking about sub-$100 point and shoot cameras, or cell phone cameras, which is what most non-professionals are using for their pictures.

• Reply 102 of 133
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You have reading comprehension problems, because I'm not dissing on all "photographers".

Read again. Where did I say "all?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

So having to pop SD cards in and out of things and increasing the potential for data loss due to dropping/wear and tear/losing your SD card is preferred over having a high-speed wireless transfer system that has none of those problems?

I was talking about sub-$100 point and shoot cameras, or cell phone cameras, which is what most non-professionals are using for their pictures.

Surely I'd prefer wireless, but if you read my examples, I listed two modern workflows that will not support wireless transmission with current technology. The soccer example would be too much data for LTE upload speeds, and too far for WiFi, and the rafting example is fully disconnected.

• Reply 103 of 133
    nycmacfannycmacfan Posts: 129member
    I have a question. Work will pay for this. Already have a MacBook Pro retina.

1.2 megahertz is available now
    1.3 megahertz is available is 3-4 weeks
    For me, price is immaterial.

What do people think will be the performance difference will be for this 1.3? Any guess on geek bench or real world impact?

Also, wasn't sure if this is fanless, if one doesn't get maxed out on processor in a few minutes no matter what. I have first and third gen MacBook Air and first gen would get crippled and slow down to basic uselessness (I'd actually put in on an airconditioning vent to get it to work again.).

So curious on this. I'm not looking for MacBook Pro performance. I'm looking for a reasonable spec given the limitations of the Intel m processor. If anyone had any thoughts and didn't mind taking a minute to share, it would be appreciated. Thanks....
  • Reply 104 of 133
    tplsftplsf Posts: 3member
    I don't understand the vitriol associated with the new MacBook. I'm a professional writer, full time grad student, and I travel. As soon as the MacBook was announced I sold my mid-2012 rMBP in anticipation. I already have the new iMac as my main machine, and can hardly wait to take the MacBook on my next trip. I ordered it in silver, as I have zero interest in anyone around me noticing it.

It will be perfect for writing and research, and will free up a ton of weight and space in my bag. I don't use any peripherals other than a Magic Mouse and occasionally a thumb drive, so can't imagine any problems there. Do I wish it cost less? Yes, but with the student discount and trade in value of my old machine it's only a few hundred bucks, and I now have a new 3-year warranty.
  • Reply 105 of 133
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member

Differences are marginal between these processors.  5-10% perhaps?  If I was sweating over these figures, I'd probably consider a different macbook

• Reply 106 of 133
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyetom View Post

Just left the Apple store pretty disappointed. Went in to buy a new MacBook, only to be told that the Retail Stores don't have any in stock to sell. All purchases must go on line. Guess I get to wait a month now.  Had I known, I would have gotten up and done it at 3AM ET.  Bummer.  Bad call Apple.  I can understand selling out of limited stock, but no stock of any configuration on launch day?  What a crappy decision by Apple.

Quanta computers wasnt able to deliver the goods on time... it was the same with the watches. Apple will likely need to find a new supplier. 

• Reply 107 of 133
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    nycmacfan wrote: »
    I have a question. Work will pay for this. Already have a MacBook Pro retina.

1.2 megahertz is available now
    1.3 megahertz is available is 3-4 weeks
    For me, price is immaterial.

What do people think will be the performance difference will be for this 1.3? Any guess on geek bench or real world impact?
    Marginal if you don't get other features with that 0.1 GHz. The. Other way to look at this is that it would offer you less than ten percent everything being equal.
    [/Quote]
    Also, wasn't sure if this is fanless, if one doesn't get maxed out on processor in a few minutes no matter what. I have first and third gen MacBook Air and first gen would get crippled and slow down to basic uselessness (I'd actually put in on an airconditioning vent to get it to work again.).
    [/Quote]
    Couldn't parse the above. If you are asking if it is fan less then the answer is yes. Will it thermally throttle and how badly isn't known at this date. If you are an aggressive user of your compute resources then I'd have to say be cautious about jumping in.
    So curious on this. I'm not looking for MacBook Pro performance. I'm looking for a reasonable spec given the limitations of the Intel m processor. If anyone had any thoughts and didn't mind taking a minute to share, it would be appreciated. Thanks....

This whole line of discussion is getting old. Core M is the lowest performance Broadwell processor Intel sells at the moment. The specs are what they are. The big unknown here is how well this machine will perform for real users not benchmarks. I'm expecting a wide array of user comments reflecting what they normally expect out of a PC. From the tone of your post I would imagine you would be disappointed with the machine.
  • Reply 108 of 133
    tplsf wrote: »
    I don't understand the vitriol associated with the new MacBook.
    You may be taking things the wrong way. For many buying this machine would be a huge step backwards performance wise. Not everyone needs that sort of performance of course but there are real technical concerns that come with buying this machine.
    I'm a professional writer, full time grad student, and I travel. As soon as the MacBook was announced I sold my mid-2012 rMBP in anticipation. I already have the new iMac as my main machine, and can hardly wait to take the MacBook on my next trip. I ordered it in silver, as I have zero interest in anyone around me noticing it.
    The difference I see here is that you understand the machine whereas many posting here don't.
    It will be perfect for writing and research, and will free up a ton of weight and space in my bag. I don't use any peripherals other than a Magic Mouse and occasionally a thumb drive, so can't imagine any problems there.
    Many of us though are addicted to the ports. At the very least I'm using one USB port constantly, often I need the second and see a near future where I will be using at least one of the TB ports.
    Do I wish it cost less? Yes, but with the student discount and trade in value of my old machine it's only a few hundred bucks, and I now have a new 3-year warranty.

Cost is a real issue but there is so much new tech in this machine that I expect the cost to drop over time. However the complaints are valid because realistically you are getting less machine for more cost. Obviously this issue of cost reflect how people value things but in my case I already have an iPad for my extreme mobility needs.
  • Reply 109 of 133
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Quanta computers wasnt able to deliver the goods on time... it was the same with the watches. Apple will likely need to find a new supplier. 

So how do you know that Quanta was to blame here? Seems to me that Apple was the one responsible for the design of these machines.
  • Reply 110 of 133
    wizard69 wrote: »
    So how do you know that Quanta was to blame here? Seems to me that Apple was the one responsible for the design of these machines.
    google it. Quanta has been struggling to get their yields above 50% on Apple products. They are also the suppliers ofthe retina macbooks.
  • Reply 111 of 133
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

The problem IMO is that because single port is used for everything, it's all the more inconvenient than if it was a single port for a specific purpose (power, for example). It means people will be constantly fumbling around swapping power/USB stick/phone/whatever, at least if it had one dedicated charging port (a-la MagSafe) and one USB-C port, it'd be much less hassle. But as it is now, if the battery is low and you need to use a peripheral, you have to wait for the MB to charge before being able to swap to the peripheral. Really seems pretty stupid to me.

I know all this can be "solved" so to speak with multi-port dongles, but to me, that really defeats the point of a portable if you have to lug around a bagful of adapters to make it work with anything. With the MPBr you're pretty much guaranteed it'll work with anything standard; be that Ethernet, USB, MagSafe, etc, without a multitude of dongles.

I really can't see why Apple didn't add had at least one more USB C port, on the opposite side would have been great.

Thank you. It may be obvious, but not to some, including the designers.

I am also waiting, it seems forever, to see a touch screen laptop from Apple, one that runs both OS X and iOS.

• Reply 112 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

The problem IMO is that because single port is used for everything, it's all the more inconvenient than if it was a single port for a specific purpose (power, for example). It means people will be constantly fumbling around swapping power/USB stick/phone/whatever, at least if it had one dedicated charging port (a-la MagSafe) and one USB-C port, it'd be much less hassle. But as it is now, if the battery is low and you need to use a peripheral, you have to wait for the MB to charge before being able to swap to the peripheral. Really seems pretty stupid to me.

I know all this can be "solved" so to speak with multi-port dongles, but to me, that really defeats the point of a portable if you have to lug around a bagful of adapters to make it work with anything. With the MPBr you're pretty much guaranteed it'll work with anything standard; be that Ethernet, USB, MagSafe, etc, without a multitude of dongles.

I really can't see why Apple didn't add had at least one more USB C port, on the opposite side would have been great.

LUG is such a strong word considering you can now charge your mac with a simple battery pack like you would an iPhone or an iPad. Secondly the power cable is much smaller and the multiport dongle is not being LUGGED... It weights nothing at all. Many people won't use it when you need it you can use it. It's better to be extensible than to have to build every port for everything that could possibly happen even if it doens't happen that often.

• Reply 113 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post

Thank you. It may be obvious, but not to some, including the designers.

I am also waiting, it seems forever, to see a touch screen laptop from Apple, one that runs both OS X and iOS.

Me too, one of my longer standing Apple wish-list items (fantasy really) is a hybrid laptop with the screen being a detachable iPad, but I always expected they feel they'd lose a sale of two products, so that product will never come into being (sadly). I think this new MacBook is their solution to that desire, close enough in weight to an iPad but with OS X. It might indicate they're moving in a direction where a premium version of this might include an iPad screen option, but I'm not holding my breath, I think this is all we'll get. For me, however, it's actually perfect.

Recently, I popped my iPad Air into a Zagg folio keyboard case and wow, does that device now provide me some real value, where before it was more relegated to certain, limited tasks (I still loved it before, but now it's even more useful). I pop that device in my bag and take it with me and leave my MBA 11" at home now. When I'm out and about with the Air/keyboard, I never hook it up to anything (not even power, though I carry an adapter just in case), this one port issue is a non-issue for people like me, and the use cases I represent will cover many, many people, ideal candidates for a one-port machine. For us, portability is key, and with this device they've kept that in mind and focused on it extremely well. It's a beauty.

• Reply 114 of 133
    adonissmu wrote: »
    google it. Quanta has been struggling to get their yields above 50% on Apple products. They are also the suppliers ofthe retina macbooks.

First off you can't believe everything on the net. More importantly yield issues reflect problems with the design, the design is Apples responsibility. They certainly could try to pull production from Quanta but a poor design won't run well anywhere else.
  • Reply 115 of 133
    For those interested Anandtech has their review up of this machine. They make up some excuses for performance issues but also dive into other interesting technical details. It is an interesting read even if they engage in some questionable benchmarking.
  • Reply 116 of 133
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member

Me too, one of my longer standing Apple wish-list items (fantasy really) is a hybrid laptop with the screen being a detachable iPad, but I always expected they feel they'd lose a sale of two products, so that product will never come into being (sadly). I think this new MacBook is their solution to that desire, close enough in weight to an iPad but with OS X. It might indicate they're moving in a direction where a premium version of this might include an iPad screen option, but I'm not holding my breath, I think this is all we'll get. For me, however, it's actually perfect.

Recently, I popped my iPad Air into a Zagg folio keyboard case and wow, does that device now provide me some real value, where before it was more relegated to certain, limited tasks (I still loved it before, but now it's even more useful). I pop that device in my bag and take it with me and leave my MBA 11" at home now. When I'm out and about with the Air/keyboard, I never hook it up to anything (not even power, though I carry an adapter just in case), this one port issue is a non-issue for people like me, and the use cases I represent will cover many, many people, ideal candidates for a one-port machine. For us, portability is key, and with this device they've kept that in mind and focused on it extremely well. It's a beauty.

You just answered why Apple hasn't been compelled to create a hybrid. You've been able to attach a BT keyboard to an iPad since day 1.
  • Reply 117 of 133
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

You just answered why Apple hasn't been compelled to create a hybrid. You've been able to attach a BT keyboard to an iPad since day 1.

I don't think that's the reason. They don't want to offer one new product (a hybrid) that would (potentially) kill two Apple product sales (tablet and laptop).

• Reply 118 of 133
    I don't think that's the reason. They don't want to offer one new product (a hybrid) that would (potentially) kill two Apple product sales (tablet and laptop).

Apple has never been reluctant to kill off a product with the introduction of new devices. I suspect the new Mac Book is why Apple doesn't do hybrid devices, you have all the power of a desktop in a device that could pass for a tablet.
  • Reply 119 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple has never been reluctant to kill off a product with the introduction of new devices. I suspect the new Mac Book is why Apple doesn't do hybrid devices, you have all the power of a desktop in a device that could pass for a tablet.

Kill off a product? What? My comment had nothing to do with killing off a product, my point was that a hybrid would kill two sales, meaning Apple would lose a sale of an iPad and a laptop to gain a sale of one (hybrid) product.

This new device is new, it's isn't the historic reason they've decided not to produce a hybrid (neither is a bluetooth keyboard attaching to the v1 iPad), but as I also said, I think it's clear they won't be coming out with a hybrid after this, that this new product is meant to appease those who would want one. My desire to have a hybrid is slightly satisfied by this new machine, but my fantasy is still that I'd like to see a hybrid, although holding my breath at this point is more pointless than it was prior to this new (lovely) product's announcement.

• Reply 120 of 133
    tplsftplsf Posts: 3member

Hey Wizard69, and anyone else interested. I got my Macbook this morning about 10 minutes before leaving for the airport. Battery was 90% charged, so I was able to play with it pretty much all day. It was great for working on Word docs, using Pages (ugh), browsing, reading with the Kindle app, and pretty much anything else. I'm not going to bother installing my grandfathered-in Aperture, or the new Photo app, because that's what my iMac is for. Anyway, no glitches with multiple browser windows and docs open, iTunes running, etc. For whatever reason, I had a lot of Word hiccups (and as a writer that is putting it kindly) with my rMBP over the past couple years. I work with text so much that anything non-retina is a step back for me, and this little Macbook has been awesome so far. I also like the keyboard, which is very quiet. I am not missing that extra 2 or 3 pounds (even the charger is lighter). I don't think there's much reason to compare the Macbook to the rMBP, which is an awesome machine that serves a different purpose. Both have retina, but one is for power users, and one is for people like me: students, travelers, etc. working with large documents, especially on the the go. Cheers.