Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Just say the fitness features will extend your life 5-10 years

For some, that might be a deal breaker indeed.<ha!!>

• Reply 62 of 111
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Is "it" the Rolex or the Apple Watch in your statement?  Looking at the two on his wrist I'm definitely more drawn to the Apple Watch.

I am with you on that one. Apple Watch for sure.

• Reply 63 of 111
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Mine did not end in a sale.

What I experienced when putting on the Apple Watch (stainless model) was the exact opposite of what I expected.  This is what I expected: Good weight, cool feel of metal to the skin.  Solid.    Smooth operation of dial and features (1).  The Apple Watch is none of that.  It felt warm, soft, lightweight and plastic-y.  Almost like a chrome-plated cast-metal body.  It felt delicate.  It did not feel like $549 (starting price).  The digital crown felt almost too loose, as if one could spin it right off.  It felt cheap.  And I tried on 5 different models, 2 sport (38 & 42 mm for size) and 3 Apple Watches (Leather Loop, Milanese and Link). 

The only aspect of the watch that truly felt worth it's weight were the bands.  Especially the Milanese loop and the link bracelet.  I didn't even mind the flouroelastomer but I thought it was a tad too grippy and sweaty.

The Apple Watch Sport actually seemed more attractive as a total concept.  It is the watch face that felt true to itself.  It seemed the most Apple-like, if you will. It wasn't pretending to be something it's not.  It is un-pretentiously an apple-branded watch.

Needless to say it was not the experience I expected.  Everyone keeps saying the build-quality is top notch, but I just didn't see it. I probably will get the sport just to try the gen-one, but it's just not very compelling value (2).

1. My watch history...I used to wear a Stainless Swiss Army brand Officer's Watch that was a graduation gift in 1993.  Great weight and minimal yet appropriate aesthetic, overall great value ($450-$750 currently).  So you could say I appreciate modestly priced fine watches and are willing to spend when I feel that quality matches value, and I'm not even talking about really fine time pieces.  The link bracelet would bother me when typing at my job and eventually I stopped wearing watches in general after getting a cell phone in 2002.  I also have a Swiss army branded pocket watch that was my stop-gap between wearing a watch or nothing at all.

2. I also felt the sales person was making a lot of excuses for Apple regarding some of the software questions/concerns I asked about.  He was very defensive.  He even went as far as to say that the first party software Apple supplies is usually not as good as 3rd party, an answer that in some cases is true, but is not selling me on the device.

• Reply 64 of 111
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by idrey View Post

I'll go with 5mills the first week

I think people forget how many other people are out there. There are over 8 million people in NYC. Over 10 million in LA. Hell, there's over a million or two in the valley. There are a LOT of freaking people out there. And even more outside the 'States! They'll sell freighters full of these things.

• Reply 65 of 111
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

Re: Is this guy brain dead?  By sog35.

No, he's referrering to the average p

I don't think that's as farfetched as you seem to think.  It's possible (mind, I have no data other than past experiences with other, unrelated products, on which to base such an idea, just guessing) that once the early adopters and uber-fans get theirs, the Sport numbers will start to creep up.  "Possible," not a sure thing.  Much too early for someone like me to say.

No, it is far fetched. The people buying the Edition aren't doing so because they are uber-fans. My inner early adopter wanted me to get a less expensive version because I realize that it is a gen 1 product. I got the link bracelet because it is beautiful. Anecdotal evidence suggests I am not alone. There are many people out there that are saying they were surprised by the quality of the SS vs the sport, and were changing their orders. This phenomenon is not caused by fanboyishness, and it is not going to stop a month from now.

The sport numbers might creep up a bit, but there is simply no way they will creep up enough to drag the ASP down that far.

• Reply 66 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBum View Post

I tried on a couple yesterday and was impressed by the feel of the Sport's band.  Unfortunately, I don't have my wife convinced yet that it's worth the money.  I can see her point: I've been harping on her for her spending habits and she's really improved, so I'd be a bit of a hypocrite if I bought an Apple Watch without having a justifiable reason.  Of course, she thought the iPhone was a waste of money at first; now she has one and uses it more than I do.  I'll keep working on my approach though.

This sounds familiar too. My wife is skeptical, and we have been trying to control some discretionary spending. But...she yells at me *all the time* because "you don't answer the phone when you're at home." Yes, that's because I don't carry it around with me at home - it is on the dock on my iMac when I come home. The Watch neatly solves this problem. And it's corollary - she can't hear her iPhone in her bag when I call her.

• Reply 67 of 111
    My try on didn't really convince me either way. I mostly felt treated like a lowlife during the process like I was wasting their time. They told me to back away from the table each time they opened the drawer and I wasn't really allowed to adjust the watch on my own. The employee seemed mostly occupied with getting me out of there. Idk; weird experience.
  • Reply 68 of 111
    tadd wrote: »

How does a pers Zon send an idea to the Apple team?  

Apple.com/feedback. At least that what they told us at AppleCare but I'd be surprised if they really read any of those suggestions.
  • Reply 69 of 111
    Quote:

Congrats.  You are literally the first person I've heard who had these type of complaints.  Even fandroids admit the build quality is excellent on the steel models.  Very strange.

The large Steel with braclet weighs 125 grams.

Rolex Submariner - 11610 - 130 grams

Rolex Daytona - 116520 - 135 grams

So are you seriously telling me that 5-10 grams make that much of a difference?

I had my try-on with two other friends and we all felt the Stainless models did not feel like a steel watch.  More like plated.

my 22 year-old Swiss Army Officer's 1884 (c1993) watch is 136g.  It made a difference.

I think whatever they polish the steel with made it feel soft.  Could also have been the ceramic backing felt off on the skin as well.

Regardless, I felt little difference between the Steel and AI.  Obviously the link band gave it a slightly more substantial mass.

My point was, after trying the "Apple Watch" model, it didn't leave me thinking it was worth the starting price of $549.  It still felt like a computer on my wrist, not a fine time piece.  That's why i mentioned the AI Sport model felt more "true to itself..."

my "Cheap" comment was more in reference to the crown feeling more loose than i expected.  not the entire watch itself.

• Reply 70 of 111
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

This sounds familiar too. My wife is skeptical, and we have been trying to control some discretionary spending. But...she yells at me *all the time* because "you don't answer the phone when you're at home." Yes, that's because I don't carry it around with me at home - it is on the dock on my iMac when I come home. The Watch neatly solves this problem. And it's corollary - she can't hear her iPhone in her bag when I call her.

Yeah, she leaves her ringer off most of the time, so she often doesn't see my messages promptly or answer my calls until the second time I call.  If it weren't for the Find My iPhone service ignoring the mute switch, she probably would have lost it by now.  Maybe I should be trying to convince her to buy an Apple Watch. :)

• Reply 71 of 111
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tadd View Post

There were some important details, like how much was the Milanese band when bought for the Sport watch, etc..

Umm, hope you were kidding, because you cannot buy the Milanese band for the Sport Watch.

• Reply 72 of 111
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    goofy1958 wrote: »

Umm, hope you were kidding, because you cannot buy the Milanese band for the Sport Watch.

Why not?
  • Reply 73 of 111
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Why not?

I meant that Apple does not sell that combination on-line.  If he wants to buy it separate, the Apple store has it for $149.  Took me all of 30 seconds to find it.

• Reply 74 of 111
    After testing the watch in the store I'm even more excited to get mine. First off Siri works awesome to respond to texts. I tried it out in the loud store and the watch got my message right the first time. Second the control is awesome. It is great to scroll through a e-mail with the "digital crown". I also liked that I could view the entire e-mail not just part of it. I liked the customizable watch faces but also hope they allow 3rd party watch faces in the future. So far not knowing about battery life this is the best smart watch I have tried. My only concern is that it will last the entire day. I'm fine charging it every night but hope 18 hours of use doesn't mean never actually using the watch.
  • Reply 75 of 111
    Quote:

So you really think you can perceive a 10 gram difference?  

So do you think those Rolex's that weight 130 grams feel cheap also?

Don't mince my words.  I've been clear with my opinions.

• Reply 76 of 111
    eugeeuge Posts: 19member
    Quote:

This rolex weights a mere 2 grams more than the Apple Watch

This rolex is 18 grams lighter than the Apple Watch

Are either of those cheap.

IMO, its all pyschological that the AppleWatch feels light.  Physics says they are not.

The reason I bring this up is because you are literally the only person in the entire world who ever said those things about the AppleWatch.

Dude why are you giving the guy such a hard time? Turning a subjective opinion and throwing numbers at it doesn't make it a technical debate. You're arguments aren't going to make you right and him wrong, because there is no right and wrong. He has his opinions and it's entirely subjective.

I like the SS watch, he doesn't for the reasons he gave. End of story.

• Reply 77 of 111

Perception and personal preference is entirely psychological (you stating the obvious), but that doesn't mean my opinion has any less logical validity than your's or anyone else's.  And I can tell you, i'm not the only one that I know that thinks this.

Again, please re-read what i said, and my further clarification.  I said the crown felt cheap (loose light feel is probably more accurate...which i did say also), and I even further clarified this.  When I adjust the crown on a traditional watch, the rotation has some resistance to it.  This one did not, and the overall experience felt more like a loose knob than a solidly constructed mechanism.

Let me also clarify that the weighty feel i had with my "real" watch i preferred over what I tried on.  The sharper edges of my classic watch also plays a large part of my perception of "solid feel" to the body...as well as the soft polished feel that I did not prefer.  It didn't feel like the same stainless steel feel of...let's say...an All-Clad polished steel frying pan handle...which I own and used just shortly before trying on the Apple Watch.  The polish felt more like chrome plating (like on a poorly crafted faucet) than solid polished steel.

Your focusing too much on my poor word choice.  Please try to remember that.  I should said I preferred a weighted feel (in my opinion) of my legacy "real" watch, which is heavier than the heaviest Apple Watch, albeit not by much.

Gee, now I know how Marco Arment felt a few months ago.

• Reply 78 of 111

I think the conclusion have drawn here is that I believe (based on my opinion and perception after trying it on) is that Apple didn't make a device that feels like a watch.  They made a computer that straps to your wrist.  It has watch-like elements, but it just doesn't feel like a watch.  Much like the iPhone doesn't feel like a phone.

Now, that doesn't mean i don't like the device.  The feature set is very nice and I can see getting a lot of use out of it.

I just think the comparisons to traditional watches needs to stop.  It's not like a traditional watch.  After my try-on, i was convinced (quite clearly) that it will never be like a traditional watch.  that's why i specifically said that I felt the AI sport watch felt more "true to itself".  It's not trying to pretend to be something it really isn't.

• Reply 79 of 111
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I think the conclusion have drawn here is that I believe (based on my opinion and perception after trying it on) is that Apple didn't make a device that feels like a watch.  They made a computer that straps to your wrist.  It has watch-like elements, but it just doesn't feel like a watch.  Much like the iPhone doesn't feel like a phone.

Now, that doesn't mean i don't like the device.  The feature set is very nice and I can see getting a lot of use out of it.

I just think the comparisons to traditional watches needs to stop.  It's not like a traditional watch.  After my try-on, i was convinced (quite clearly) that it will never be like a traditional watch.  that's why i specifically said that I felt the AI sport watch felt more "true to itself".  It's not trying to pretend to be something it really isn't.

For the record, I thought your comments interesting and valuable. I think there is a lot of merit to "Apple Watch Ins't A Watch." Your analogy to the iPhone isn't a phone is apt.

I don't get some of the animosity here on AI.

• Reply 80 of 111
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    cornchip wrote: »
    I think people forget how many other people are out there. There are over 8 million people in NYC. Over 10 million in LA. Hell, there's over a million or two in the valley. There are a LOT of freaking people out there. And even more outside the 'States! They'll sell freighters full of these things.

Oh yeah! ????