Apple buys multi-lens, DSLR-quality camera tech with $20M purchase of LinX Imaging

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    jccjcc Posts: 335member
    What do you expect when people buy the Apple Watch? Dumb people will buy and believe anything with an Apple logo. Jobs is rolling over in his grave.
  • Reply 82 of 88
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

I agree that bigger sensors = better pictures

This is why I wish that APPLE would make a APC size camera capable of taking either 96 Mega pixels or 24 Mega pixels that would be based on IOS with only two buttons: ON/OFF and Shutter Button.   It should come with great autofocus, OIS, Wifi, GPS, BT and Flash builtin.

In camera storage should be at least 64  GB, 128 GB or 256 GB with at least  4GB RAM  .    The camera should also support 4K video.    In addition it should have 3x optical Zoom with 4x digital Zoom.    With a 4.7 in screen it could provide touch based apps for controlling settings before pictures and for post processing.   As Apple has done before focus on ease of operation.  The only ports would be USB 3.1 Type C, Audio IN, and Audio OUT.   Ideally it would go for no more than $2,000.00.

That being said this deal could end up being as significant as AuthenTec or may not play out like the GT Advanced deal. 

Dare I ask who would this camera be targeted towards?

• Reply 83 of 88
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

This is joke, right?  I supposed we can says the iPhone has had a complete lack of innovation, too. After all, the basic form and function has remain unchanged since the first first model.

Unchanged except for secure payment processing?  Unchanged except for health tracking?  Unchanged except for face detection?  panoramic shots? Dual tone flash?  Slow motion video? Continuity? Image stabilization?  WiFi calling?  Ambient light sensor ? Proximity sensor?  Accelerometer?  Gyroscope?  Latest wi-fi, cellular and bluetooth technologies?  64 bit processing?  

People don't even use phones primarily for phone calls anymore - so maybe you would like to re-consider your argument?  I just made you look a blimmin' fool!

• Reply 84 of 88
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post

Dare I ask who would this camera be targeted towards?

Upper income Prosumers.   People who buy micro 4/3, APS format cameras, and Mirror Less DSLR looking for better image quality than phone cameras.

• Reply 85 of 88
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by K2kW View Post

Upper income Prosumers.   People who buy micro 4/3, APS format cameras, and Mirror Less DSLR looking for better image quality than phone cameras.

To me, that sounds very much like a consumer camera. Maybe an advanced consumer might like it, but anyone looking at ILCs it would totally defeat the purpose. Buttons are good on a camera believe it or not. Fast changing of all settings is only accomplished with direct access to each simultaneously. 

• Reply 86 of 88

Israeli technology is pretty amazing, even more so in the medical area where it is saving huge amounts of lives (they are the ones treating wounded Syrians).  You may be prey to some pretty distorted propaganda.

• Reply 87 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I love my iP6+ and it takes wonderful photos.  Anything to make those little cameras even better is great for me, and great for everyone.  That being said, it is nowhere near the quality I get with my 35mm Canon 5D Mark III on a bad day.  

In all fairness, nobody is suggesting the iP6+ is anything near dSLR quality.  The article is speaking phones based on this new Linx technology.

Having said that, I would agree with you.  There are physics involved which would prevent that.  However, this technology does dramatically improve quality and explains how quality can increase without the large camera bump found on some phones.  Those interested in some of the details of how it works can check it out on the link below.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/261875793/LinX-Imaging-Presentation#scribd

• Reply 88 of 88
    Conceivably, this tech could allow eg 4 sensors that total the area of the current iPhone sensors, but at half the thickness. Software would stitch the 4 (noisier, grainier) images together, possibly exploiting slight focus differences to allow a 3D image.

Conceivably, but it's not really likely you'd get BOTH decent detail in the stitched-together photos AND a Lytro-type capability. Sussing out 3D from images requires very high resolution and low noise, which are missing from current phone-sized sensors, let alone dinkier ones that'd allow for a thinner camera.