Apple Watch preorders estimated at 2.3M units, low supply blamed on haptic vibrator and OLED display

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    mr. me wrote: »
    Oh please. :rolleyes:

To claim that there was no pent-up demand because you did not see it is just silly. There was very much pent-up demand and the things that accompany pent-up demand in the US on the day that the iPhone launched. Among the things that accompany pent-up demand were long queues, police guards and barricades, and refreshments supplied by the retailer.

Yeah. Any link?

And since I was in a moderately sized city of 1 million people and 5 people showed up my evidence, however anecdotal trumps or is as good as yours.

The original iPhone wasn't selling in fact until they dropped the price by $200. Then it took off.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    asdasd wrote: »
    Yeah. Any link?

And since I was in a moderately sized city of 1 million people and 5 people showed up my evidence, however anecdotal trumps or is as good as yours.

The original iPhone wasn't selling in fact until they dropped the price by $200. Then it took off.
    If you are too lazy to do your own Google search, then I am cool with that. You may start with this link. If you need others, then feel free to ask.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    If you are too lazy to do your own Google search, then I am cool with that. You may start with this link. If you need others, then feel free to ask.

It's not really up to the person making the fairly normal claim (the iPhone didn't really take off for a year and Apple didn't have the fan base then that it had now) to provide proof. Anybody who knew the slightest bit about the iPhone's trajectory would know that. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof, ordinary claims do not.

To rub salt in your wounds here is what that article says

Despite drawing a horde of fans, the iPhone didn’t immediately charm its way into the mainstream because of its high price tag. Just two months after the iPhone’s initial release, Apple trimmed the handset’s price down to $400. That helped a little, but it wasn’t until 2008 — when Apple unveiled the iPhone 3G with a new $200 price tag and access to the faster 3G network — that the smartphone exploded in popularity. Apple sold over 10 million iPhone 3G units worldwide in just five months

That's what I said. In fact I specifically mentioned the $200 price drop and I also said that when the 3G came out there were queues and huge demand in that medium sized UK City , but not for the first iPhone.

Maybe the U.S. was different but worldwide the iPhone made little or no impact until the 3G.

You've managed to google something that makes my point.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    It's not really up to the person making the fairly normal claim (the iPhone didn't really take off for a year and Apple didn't have the fan base then that it had now) to provide proof. Anybody who knew the slightest bit about the iPhone's trajectory would know that. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof, ordinary claims do not.

Despite drawing a horde of fans, the iPhone didn’t immediately charm its way into the mainstream because of its high price tag. Just two months after the iPhone’s initial release, Apple trimmed the handset’s price down to $400. That helped a little, but it wasn’t until 2008 — when Apple unveiled the iPhone 3G with a new $200 price tag and access to the faster 3G network — that the smartphone exploded in popularity. Apple sold over 10 million iPhone 3G units worldwide in just five months

That's what I said. In fact I specifically mentioned the $200 price drop and I also said that when the 3G came out there were queues and huge demand in that medium sized UK City , but not for the first iPhone.

Maybe the U.S. was different but worldwide the iPhone made little or no impact until the 3G.

To cute by half. This exchange is about the pent-up demand for the iPhone prior to launch and the clamor for it upon launch. I gave you a link that shows a throng of customers ready to buy on launch day. Now you want to change the subject to what happened latter. The fact that the iPhone is rules the World today does not change the fact that it was pretty darned popular when it launched--complaints about the lack of 3G notwithstanding.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    hillstones wrote: »
    use your other hand to wake it up.  Not something people want to do when they just want to see the time.

i dont mind touching the screen to check the time -- the motion is practically identical to moving my shirt's cuff back to view the display, as i would for any watch under my cuff.

also, Gruber said the wake speed was pretty damn good, but not perfect. sounds like the first version of Touch ID to me...which on the 6 got even better.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    captain j wrote: »
    A totally invalid comparison. When the first iPhone launched Apple was a computer company with a line of music players. There was no reason for the masses to assume Apple's iPhone was this great product, which the first iteration was not. Now Apple is known for its wide variety of awesome products and as being the number one innovator in tech. People are MUCH more prone to drool at upcoming Apple products today and pre-order just based on Apple's rep

the iPhone 1 was a great product. fans knew it would be great and were right.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Pretty underwhelming number - seems like the "adrenaline rush" moment will not go too far.

try harder! there are more bridges to sleep under!

man dont you get tired of trying so hard?
  • Reply 48 of 52

no, your implied claim was the original iPhone didn't draw lines because you only saw 5 people. yet the link provided even states:

Despite drawing a horde of fans,

...a horde of fans. at launch day, for iPhone 1. as claimed and backed up. you lose.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    To cute by half. This exchange is about the pent-up demand for the iPhone prior to launch and the clamor for it upon launch. I gave you a link that shows a throng of customers ready to buy on launch day. Now you want to change the subject to what happened latter. The fact that the iPhone is rules the World today does not change the fact that it was pretty darned popular when it launched--complaints about the lack of 3G notwithstanding.

No it wasn't popular outside the few then Apple die hards , including me, who lined up in America but not in the UK. There were queues for 10.0. A queue, or the lack of it, is not any indication. Its an anecdote. Including my anecdote.

However the statistics show that it wasn't setting the world alight until the price reductions and the 3G was the real success. You even linked to a piece which proved that point, and you are still not slinking away with tails between your legs but calling actual stats "too cute". There's only so much inanity I tolerate so welcome to ignore.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    no, your implied claim was the original iPhone didn't draw lines because you only saw 5 people. yet the link provided even states:

Despite drawing a horde of fans,

...a horde of fans. at launch day, for iPhone 1. as claimed and backed up. you lose.

You need to get a map and work out that there are different countries in the world. I was giving an anecdote, as colour, to what everybody should know before they start taking crap -- the iPhone's original model wasn't selling very well until a price drop and until they increased their carriers. Of course it didn't.

Therefore my point stands. This launch can't be compared to the iPhone because Apple has far greater number of die hard fans. As well as more countries in its initial distribution, better online purchasing, a wider distribution of It's own stores. . You can also go on ignore.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    bushman4 wrote: »
    Ming-Chi Kuo has excellent connections and his analytic ability is great as well. So believe what he says.

Why? Because he's continually referred to here as "well connected"?

What happened to his claim that the watches would be made of Liquidmetal?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    You need to get a map and work out that there are different countries in the world. I was giving an anecdote, as colour, to what everybody should know before they start taking crap -- the iPhone's original model wasn't selling very well until a price drop and until they increased their carriers. Of course it didn't.

Therefore my point stands. This launch can't be compared to the iPhone because Apple has far greater number of die hard fans. As well as more countries in its initial distribution, better online purchasing, a wider distribution of It's own stores. . You can also go on ignore.
    Let's not talk about anecotes; let's talk about global iPhone sales. The iPhone was launched during 2007Q3. During 2007Q4, the first quarter in available for the entire quarter, Apple sold 1.12 million iPhones. During 2008Q1, the following quarter, Apple sold 2.32 million iPhones, more than double the previous quarter. Since is one of the few quarters in which global iPhone sales improved quarter-over-quarter mid-cycle. The figures are available here.