Director J.J. Abrams shows off Apple Watch onstage at 'Star Wars' event in California

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    ned bulous wrote: »

Seems like you're moving the goal posts, also see Stephan Colbert with his iPad at the Grammys in January 2010. The iPad was released to the public 4/3/2010

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/stephen-colbert-has-an-ipad/

You must have missed Eminem, U2, and all the other artists.  If Apple seeks out musicians to promote music products, why not seek out tastemakers to promote Apple Watch as fashion icon?

Also, by your standards, I would not consider JJ Abrams, Drake, or Pherrell Williams big stars. Like the earlier ads, though, they appeal to niche markets. 

Seems like you don't read very well. See post #54.

And you'be obviously missed a lot of other posts in the thread too. I won't bother to summarize it for you. But try to get some context before you reply next.
  • Reply 82 of 112
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

But Apple has always cultivated a "for the rest of us" mentality, so it's not too hard to see how some folks might feel put off by this not-so-sublte shift. Although no one cares what I think, I've been nagged by this sense of elitism and "not for us after all" change in tone. Maybe it is just because of the pursuit of the fasion world (which is mind-numbingly vapid) or what not, but it's not difficult to be sympathetic for those who feel put off.

I don't find the fashion world mind-numbingly vapid in the least; or, at least, no more or less than any other endeavor.  Take film for instance.  Last year, in the US alone, over 1,000 films were released which had some perceptible gross.  Now, without having seen the vast, vast majority of those, I can tell you this:  About 80% were utterly forgettable.  About 10% were memorable to one degree or another.  About 7% were films that people will still talk about a decade from now.  About 2% were truly excellent works of art.  Somewhere between 0.5% - 1% are the sorts of films that no one who follows the art form will ever forget.

That's just the way things work.

• Reply 83 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think his Watch should have had special software that had a lens flare effect blocking 80% of the display any time he used it.

You win the Internet.

• Reply 84 of 112

I have to hand it to the members here. A post about Star Wars has gone into page 3 of comments and no one has started whining about the prequels or Lucas!!

• Reply 85 of 112
    But Apple has always cultivated a "for the rest of us" mentality, so it's not too hard to see how some folks might feel put off by this not-so-sublte shift. Although no one cares what I think, I've been nagged by this sense of elitism and "not for us after all" change in tone. Maybe it is just because of the pursuit of the fasion world (which is mind-numbingly vapid) or what not, but it's not difficult to be sympathetic for those who feel put off.

"The rest of us meant" meant people who didn't want to become programmers or geeks to use a computer. Apple products were never especially cheap or discounted the way PCs were. It was not about rich vs poor, but IT professionals vs moms and kids. Programmers vs the artsy, creative types.
  • Reply 86 of 112
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    [quote]It's unclear what criteria Apple's worldwide product marketing department is using to decide which celebrities are granted early access.[/quote]

[IMG]https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/pm_9712172.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/gallery/12567-6599-Screenshot-2015-04-17-030617-l.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, very unclear. More money than brains? More style than substance?

Can't be the latter: look at his hat and glasses.
  • Reply 87 of 112
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

I have to hand it to the members here. A post about Star Wars has gone into page 3 of comments and no one has started whining about the prequels or Lucas!!

I haven't commented on that because I couldn't be less interested in a subject if I tried.  Ever since The Phantom Menace, the Star Wars franchise has been about as interesting to me as ... I don't know.  As something very un-interesting. :)

• Reply 88 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    aaronj wrote: »

I haven't commented on that because I couldn't be less interested in a subject if I tried.  Ever since The Phantom Menace, the Star Wars franchise has been about as interesting to me as ... I don't know.  As something very un-interesting. :)

Did you actually SEE the new trailer? It wipes out 30 years of Lucas' neglect.
  • Reply 89 of 112
    nycsbnycsb Posts: 9member

Apple has always worked with celebrities. The difference was that under Steve Jobs & The Product Placement person who left a couple years ago, Suzanne Lindbergh, they would only gift and sell product to celebs on day of launch, never before. The idea being to get it in their hands right away for PR, but never before everyone else. Remember the outrage when Apple employees let Jason Bateman cut the line a few years ago for iPhone on launch day!  I mean come on custom pieces for Johnny Ive's celebrity friends is a bit much don't you think?

• Reply 90 of 112
    nycsbnycsb Posts: 9member

from those in the know.... the "joke" was he was given one early. Apple hand carrier it to the Grammy's, Colbert had it for 5 minutes and it was immediatly taken back by Apple. 

• Reply 91 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Someone needs to go back and watch the iPod and iMac G4 product intro videos. Both featured celebrities.

Or how about this magazine cover?

500x_jobs8.jpg

Or Apple products being prominently displayed on TV shows like Sex and the City?

There's nothing new about Apple courting celebrities.
  • Reply 92 of 112

And you'be obviously missed a lot of other posts in the thread too. I won't bother to summarize it for you. But try to get some context before you reply next.

No need to be snarky, but at least we agree now that Apple has always used celebrities and early access in their new product launches.
  • Reply 93 of 112

Seems like you're moving the goal posts, also see Stephan Colbert with his iPad at the Grammys in January 2010. The iPad was released to the public 4/3/2010

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/stephen-colbert-has-an-ipad/

You must have missed Eminem, U2, and all the other artists.  If Apple seeks out musicians to promote music products, why not seek out tastemakers to promote Apple Watch as fashion icon?

Also, by your standards, I would not consider JJ Abrams, Drake, or Pherrell Williams big stars. Like the earlier ads, though, they appeal to niche markets. 

No need to be snarky, but at least we agree now that Apple has always used celebrities and early access in their new product launches.

How is using language that is almost identical to yours 'snarky' when used against you?
  • Reply 94 of 112
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member
    Unknown fact Chewie also wears an Apple Watch but you'll never know with all that hair!
    Oh yeah Chewbacca looks a lot younger then Han, even @ over 200y's older, Wookies just
    get better with age.
  • Reply 95 of 112

How is using language that is almost identical to yours 'snarky' when used against you?

You're right. We were both snarky :-)

Folks can have a legitimate POV whether they like it or not, but Apples promotion of the watch is not unprecedented for them (or any other company). The difference is that celebrities and tastemakers actually WANT to use Apple devices and aren't just in it for the $$$
  • Reply 96 of 112
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Isn't Apple all about equality and diversity and all that liberal mumbo jumbo that some people like to talk about?

"All animals are equal,  but some are more equal than others."  --Orwell, Animal Farm, 1945.

• Reply 97 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Did you actually SEE the new trailer? It wipes out 30 years of Lucas' neglect.

Episode 7 may actually allow me to enjoy the Phantom Menace...  No wait, who am I kidding....

I think Han's quote at the end of the trailer has more to it than just another throwaway line in the movie.....

• Reply 98 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Most who say the prequels sucked are old foggys.

Ask anyone who's under 30 and most likely they will say the Prequels were pretty cool but the OT was kinda slow and plodding.

Its just a generation thing.  Just because the PT was a different style than the OT does not mean its not as good.

The prequels were like the ending of the Wizard of Oz.  Those of us that remember the magic of the original trilogy had the drapes pulled back and we saw the man we had so much faith in to tell us a great story no longer had anything of value to offer.

The prequels took an established story line that had warmth and depth and dumbed it down to a child like lowest common denominator.

Lucas' defense was that these were always children stories.  I call B.S.  My three year old daughter hides in fear every time Vader comes on screen but can watch Jar Jar Binks all-day long.

• Reply 99 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Most who say the prequels sucked are old foggys.

Ask anyone who's under 30 and most likely they will say the Prequels were pretty cool but the OT was kinda slow and plodding.

Its just a generation thing.  Just because the PT was a different style than the OT does not mean its not as good.
    Just because something is a different style doesn't mean some sort of equality through relativism applies.

Why are you so unhappy about other people not liking the prequels?
  • Reply 100 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ned bulous View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You're right. We were both snarky :-)

Folks can have a legitimate POV whether they like it or not, but Apples promotion of the watch is not unprecedented for them (or any other company). The difference is that celebrities and tastemakers actually WANT to use Apple devices and aren't just in it for the $$$

The main thrust of some of the discussion here has been on whether creating special editions for these folks makes sense.