Director J.J. Abrams shows off Apple Watch onstage at 'Star Wars' event in California

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

that's your opinion.  I'm pretty sure you are over 30.

Most of the people I ask who are younger than 30 enjoyed the PT more than the OT.

You're right, I am over 30.  I do like Revenge of the Sith, I think it unfairly gets lumped in with TPM.  AOC is ok.  It's hard for me to accept poop and fart jokes (TPM & CW Movie) in what once was one of the greatest space opera's of all-time.

• Reply 102 of 112

I defended TPM in that it was a story that needed to be told to fully understand the rise, fall, and redemption of Vader, but it as an original fan I feel it was a botched effort.  Reading the Thrawn trilogy when it first came out I (and many others) was expecting much more from Lucas than what he delivered.

When you include what he did to the special edition versions of ANH and ROJ it was like a slap across both sets(!) of cheeks.

• Reply 103 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    razorpit wrote: »

I defended TPM in that it was a story that needed to be told to fully understand the rise, fall, and redemption of Vader, but it as an original fan I feel it was a botched effort.  Reading the Thrawn trilogy when it first came out I (and many others) was expecting much more from Lucas than what he delivered.

When you include what he did to the special edition versions of ANH and ROJ it was like a slap across both sets(!) of cheeks.

I agree with the many and varied criticisms of the prequels as enunciated by both Red Letter Media and the crew of Jason Snell's The Incomparable (they recently finished their criticism of the prequels in a series of hilarious podcasts).
  • Reply 104 of 112
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Most who say the prequels sucked are old foggys.

Ask anyone who's under 30 and most likely they will say the Prequels were pretty cool but the OT was kinda slow and plodding.

Its just a generation thing.  Just because the PT was a different style than the OT does not mean its not as good.

It's PARTIALLY a generational thing.  But The Phantom Menace was a a decidedly BAD film.  Separate it from the franchise, from whatever, I don't care.  It doesn't work as cinema.

But, to some degree, you're right in that I just don't care about these characters anymore.  When I waited for hours and hours and hours to see the first Star Wars, when I went back, ELEVEN TIMES, to see it in the theater, when it was the single most important thing to my friends and me, yeah ... that's generational.  Now?  I couldn't care less.  And yes, part of that is that TPM was awful.  But part of it is that I don't even think that the original trilogy is all that good either, anymore.

• Reply 105 of 112

Oh, and Lucas' argument that they were "always children's stories" is not only BS, but it is DEMONSTRABLY BS, unless anyone here thinks of The Hidden Fortress as a purely children's film.  Sure, it's fun.  But I don't believe that Kurosawa made it aimed at children.

• Reply 106 of 112
    aaronj wrote: »
    Oh, and Lucas' argument that they were "always children's stories" is not only BS, but it is DEMONSTRABLY BS, unless anyone here thinks of The Hidden Fortress as a purely children's film.  Sure, it's fun.  But I don't believe that Kurosawa made it aimed at children.

Not only that, but if the prequels were "children's stories" Lucas must not like kids! Remember Anakin murdered an entire school full of young Jedi (embarrassingly called "younglings")?
  • Reply 107 of 112

I honestly wonder how many people have seen The Hidden Fortress.  

• Reply 108 of 112
    Quote:

"George Lucas is an artist, and as such it’s his prerogative to tell the story as he sees fit. So be it. I’m reticent to tell another artist how he should have approached his craft. "

Good advice from someone who does not like the PT

You forgot to include the very next line in that quote!:  "But in this case the error was so egregious because of what Lucas set up in the original films."

The quote in its entirety undermines your selective argument.

• Reply 109 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I honestly wonder how many people have seen The Hidden Fortress.  

I don't know about anyone else, but it's among my favorite Kurosawa movies. Other favorites, High and Low (based on an Ed McBain novel, interestingly enough) and Seven Samurai. Both films of incredible imagination.

• Reply 110 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree with the many and varied criticisms of the prequels as enunciated by both Red Letter Media and the crew of Jason Snell's The Incomparable (they recently finished their criticism of the prequels in a series of hilarious podcasts).

Thank you for recommending the Incomparable.  That was a podcast I was always meaning to check out but never did.  I listened to the PM and first AOC discussion over the weekend and think they couldn't be more spot on.

• Reply 111 of 112
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but it's among my favorite Kurosawa movies. Other favorites, High and Low (based on an Ed McBain novel, interestingly enough) and Seven Samurai. Both films of incredible imagination.

I have all the 30 movies made by Kurosawa. The Hidden Fortress is among the most enjoyable, along with Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Seven Samurai. But my personal favourite is Ran. That movie is epic!