Photos show unreleased red sport band for Apple Watch, folding UK charger

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Two photos posted on Twitter today by British cyclist and ex-rugby player Will Carling show what appear to be unreleased Apple products, including a red version of the Apple Watch sport band and a folding UK wall adapter.

Carling said that the folding charger was gifted to him by lead Apple designer Jony Ive. The provenance of the sport band is unclear, but might also have come from Ive, who is a fellow Brit and a rugby fan, MacRumors noted. Between 1988 and 1996, Carling was the captain of England's national rugby team.

The sport band currently comes in five colors: black, white, pink, blue, and green. The black color is alternately available with a space gray pin.

Apple may well be preparing a (PRODUCT)RED sport band. Like other RED products, some of the proceeds would go towards the Global Fund, which combats AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis.

Likewise, the folding charger could be set to become a standard for UK Apple products. Ive and Apple have, however, produced custom products in the past. Just recently, Apple gave an all-gold Watch to fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld and provided director J.J. Abrams with a stainless steel model and a bespoke dark blue sport band.

Giving Carling access to exclusive (or pre-release) products could be a personal gesture from Ive, or simply another way for Apple to build publicity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Apple seems pretty confident in the implementation of its watch to hand it out as gifts to famous people, because if it was buggy or had issues, that could potentially backfire. Of course, The Usual Suspects will twist this into various "concerns" because they don't like change. Watch for their posts below.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Something looks amiss with the band at the bottom-right corner of the watch...
  • Reply 3 of 36
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    I wonder if that plug is BS1363 compliant...
  • Reply 4 of 36
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LibertyKRS View Post

Yeah, it's not all the way into the watch's slot. Either not pushed in enough, or it's working its way free.

• Reply 5 of 36
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    let me tell you, as a fellow Brit, Will Carling hasn't been in the news for YEARS. I doubt this is Apple's way of getting publicity. It's more likely that Ive is his friend, or Ive likes rugby.

Now, the folding charger, I'm on-board with that!
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple seems pretty confident in the implementation of its watch to hand it out as gifts to famous people, because if it was buggy or had issues, that could potentially backfire. Of course, The Usual Suspects will twist this into various "concerns" because they don't like change. Watch for their posts below.

I used one of the display watches in the store. I know that is not real world, but damn it was pretty nice. Silky smooth and a very clean experience. It seems ready for primetime. Not to mention most if any issues would usually be fixed by an update around public release anyway. Not like the celebs are going to bitching about their free watch on twitter. ;)

• Reply 7 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I like that red band.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I like that red band.

I am big fan of the color red (in fact, I have a couple of Swatch watches with red bands) and have bought a number of product RED products over the years, but I have to say that this red band looks unattractive to me. Also, it somehow clashes with the watch.

• Reply 9 of 36

the digital crown also seems off.. or is it my eyes?

• Reply 10 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I am big fan of the color red (in fact, I have a couple of Swatch watches with red bands) and have bought a number of product RED products over the years, but I have to say that this red band looks unattractive to me. Also, it somehow clashes with the watch.

I have no problems with it. It's a good color that would work for an athlete.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    libertykrs wrote: »

He's got it on inside out.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I wonder if that plug is BS1363 compliant...

The SlimPlug is compliant and this charger uses the same folding pin principle, so in theory it is.

Presumably Apple has put it through all the relevant regulatory approval.

Very happy to see this design, it makes the adapter much more compact and easier for travelling.

I wonder whether this will come with the ?Watch when it ships in the UK?

• Reply 13 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have no problems with it. It's a good color that would work for an athlete.

If it is a product RED offering, It sends kind of conflicting message with the Edition Red Modern Buckle (and coordinating digital crown button). Seems like the color red would be uniform across all products, as it otherwise is. It kind of makes that Edition watch seem hypocritical -- it's the most expensive thing Apple has ever sold, yet it uses the signature RED charity color, but gives none of the proceeds to it.

But all these non-standard bands being given away definitely hint at things to come, possibly by the Fall in time for Christmas.

• Reply 14 of 36
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by matt45 View Post

I saw that too.   Looks like a cheap clone based on that part.   (Not saying it is, but the digital crown part looks cheap)

• Reply 15 of 36
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »

If it is a product RED offering, It sends kind of conflicting message with the Edition Red Modern Buckle (and coordinating digital crown button). Seems like the color red would be uniform across all products, as it otherwise is. It kind of makes that Edition watch seem hypocritical -- it's the most expensive thing Apple has ever sold, yet it uses the signature RED charity color, but gives none of the proceeds to it.

But all these non-standard bands being given away definitely hint at things to come, possibly by the Fall in time for Christmas.

Wait, so Apple can only do something in red if it's going to charity?
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Quote:

I saw that too.   Looks like a cheap clone based on that part.   (Not saying it is, but the digital crown part looks cheap)

Looks like the reflected light and colors makes it look like it is sticking out crooked. Also, the dude put the lower band piece on backwards. 

• Reply 17 of 36
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Something that I wondered about from the very beginning was that the digital crown was not protected with side lugs like many high end chronographs. I haven't seen the ?Watch in person yet but as delicate as it must be to perform the sort of functions described, I'd think normal day to day activity of bending one's wrist might put stress on it being exposed like that.

• Reply 18 of 36
    mstone wrote: »

Something that I wondered about from the very beginning was that the digital crown was not protected with side lugs like many high end chronographs. I haven't seen the ?Watch in person yet but as delicate as it must be to perform the sort of functions described, I'd think normal day to day activity of bending one's wrist might put stress on it being exposed like that.

The keyword is 'digital' crown, it uses sensors to turn analogue turning movement to a digital signal and it's not physically attached to anything inside of the watch so protecting it isn't really necessary. That would also hinder usage of it since it plays a key role in the watches function. High end mechanical watches protect the crown because the stem can easily be bent being a thin piece of metal causing costly repairs.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

No, I noticed that, too. Plus the bottom of the band does not appear completely flush with the watch. Excuse me, Watch.

• Reply 20 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well it’s the world we live in now. Because of the Internet all the naysayers, critics, tech luddites, and such can create the impression of failure even in the face of success. The Macalope over at MacWorld is famous for outing these types and deconstructing their assertions to the point of ridicule and laughter.