Roommates stab each other with beer bottles in iPhone vs. Android dispute

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yeah.... I heard Leo say that.

It's such a simple addition too... you'd think Apple would allow widgets on the homescreen if nothing else but to shut up the detractors.

There must be some reason why Apple is so against it.

I mean... Google has always allowed widgets on the homescreen... while Apple has never allowed widgets on the homescreen.

It just seems so weird that two companies can have such a disparity over this one feature.

Apple keeps all your icons out in the open... while Google keeps them in the app drawer and then you can select which ones to put in the homescreen along with actionable widgets.

But oh well... I like the many other things about the iPhone and will continue to use them for the foreseeable future.

"Widgets" vs "No Widgets" isn't that big of a deal to me.

I don't get the point of widgets. I've owned Android devices, and I can't stand widgets. You have to tap twice as many times to get to apps you want to use, just to get passed the damn widgets. Not everyone lives with 8 favorite apps all the time. 

• Reply 62 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    and Apple doesn't make money by selling YOU... 

Those are two of my strongest points that never get argument. 

Well now you have because Apple does make money from "selling you". Just not nearly as much as Google or Yahoo or Facebook or Microsoft do.

Some of their recent hires along with significant changes to iAds are meant to improve the revenue derived from monetizing their user-base and offer a way to present "free" or reduced price services to Apple product buyers. They're putting a much stronger emphasis on working with advertisers, showing a willingness to share a bit more with them about Apple users than they have in the past.in order to attract them to Apple's ad platform. At some point you should probably drop that particular meme as it's increasingly less accurate.

Security tho is certainly stronger so no argument there, at least from me.
  • Reply 63 of 101

I had concerns that whilst Apple was increasing its penetration of the tech market it would start to catch PC chavs in its nets. Sadly, this is precisely what has happened. There was a time when Mac using people, whom one knew, would be intelligent, articulate and reasoned in left of centre politics; generally nice, honest people. Of course there were those amongst them who were nauseatingly zealous about things Apple.

The advent of iPod's and consumer oriented Macs all stitched together with iTunes was the moment a completely different demographic started noticing these Ivesque sweetie (candy) coloured confections in the pages of trendy magazines, placed critically in TV and cinematic plots, eulogised by their favourite rap artiste or plugged into talentless celebrity lughole's.

Mercifully Jobs expired before he could witness this shameful transition of the marque from the hands of devotee's to deviants. Creatives were once associated with Apple products, now it is cretins.

It;s all about the bottom line. You've hit that and the bottom, Apple. Bravo!

• Reply 64 of 101
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

I had concerns that whilst Apple was increasing its penetration of the tech market it would start to catch PC chavs in its nets. Sadly, this is precisely what has happened. There was a time when Mac using people, whom one knew, would be intelligent, articulate and reasoned in left of centre politics; generally nice, honest people. Of course there were those amongst them who were nauseatingly zealous about things Apple.

The advent of iPod's and consumer oriented Macs all stitched together with iTunes was the moment a completely different demographic started noticing these Ivesque sweetie (candy) coloured confections in the pages of trendy magazines, placed critically in TV and cinematic plots, eulogised by their favourite rap artiste or plugged into talentless celebrity lughole's.

Mercifully Jobs expired before he could witness this shameful transition of the marque from the hands of devotee's to deviants. Creatives were once associated with Apple products, now it is cretins.

Indeed. As a longtime Apple user and unofficial converter, I can clearly see the trend towards stupidity and sameness out there...not to mention the lack of new Macs, of course.

• Reply 65 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I don't get the point of widgets. I've owned Android devices, and I can't stand widgets. You have to tap twice as many times to get to apps you want to use, just to get passed the damn widgets. Not everyone lives with 8 favorite apps all the time. 
    I have a few widgets that I use all the time like ones that call home or work or the wife with one tap, another for the weather ahead and one for top news events. They're used several times a day and save both time and screen-taps. While I'd agree with you that many widgets are pretty useless there's some that are pretty good and well worth having.
  • Reply 66 of 101
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

congratulations, you win the Nonsense Troll Of the Day Award!

Jobs was alive when he promoted Ive and they created the candy-colored iMacs together. Jobs was alive when his team created the Aqua interface, which he personally described as lickable. Jobs was alive when iPod became mainstream and was offered in many colorful variants. Jobs was alive when his marketing team got Apple products into movie placements. Jobs was alive when the iPhone became the most popular CE good on the planet.

in short: get fucking real.
  • Reply 67 of 101
    blazarblazar Posts: 270member
    FINISH HIM
  • Reply 68 of 101
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    The Apple guy won even if he got his butt kicked because Apple rules
  • Reply 69 of 101
    I see a reprise of the John Hodgman and Justine Long "Get A Mac" campaign, instead with the iPhone Guy and the Android Guy duking it out.

Or the Samsung guy vs the Apple guy -- lawyers in the ring with Judge Lucy Koh as the ref.
  • Reply 70 of 101
    I bet the iPhone guy broke his bottle first, and then the Android guy copied him.
  • Reply 71 of 101

Alcohol is a hell of a drug.  Good chance this would not have escalated if they used moderation or had the munchies from weed.

• Reply 72 of 101

hey Apple p***y, the iCrap device camera sucks. The S6 and S6 Edge blows it away.

• Reply 73 of 101
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

This article is not worthy to be on the front page.  Neither of these people deserve any attention and both give technical enthusiasts a bad name.

• Reply 74 of 101
    As an android user who is primarily a lover of technology I have to say as of android is the best smart phone for me. I work for at&t and when ever my customers ask me which one is better I ask them what is better football or basketball. Then I elloborate that its based on them as a person for some android plain sucks others only can do an iPhone.

I use an m8 because I don't use the camera on my phone that much I read allot on my phone so I want a large screen that is good at the time that was the m8. I'm getting a new phone my focus is battery life and screen quality. Still don't need the camera. Debating between nexus 6 and iPhone 6+. I buy phones based off of what I want out of them as that is a privledge I have being in a market with so much choice.
  • Reply 75 of 101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

This is going too far. I know my iPhone 6+ is superior to any android phone, so I don't need to prove it to anyone. No argument.

Them's stabbin' words...

• Reply 76 of 101
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Don't you have to die (or be sterilized) in order to be a Darwin Award candidate/recipient?

It's the thought that counts.

• Reply 77 of 101
    And yet marijuana is still illegal and alcohol isn't.
  • Reply 78 of 101
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    <. . .>The hatred has been around since it was Apple vs Microsoft when Microsoft dominated the market, <. . .> although at this point Apple is more like Microsoft was at the time, the leader in some regards.

My first Apple was the IIc and I _loved_ the 1984 ad. MS thought that they could make my decisions better than I could so I was glad Apple offered an alternative. Today Apple has replaced MS at the top of the market and also in their desire to make my decisions for me, and I'm glad Android offers an alternative. Was that Tim Cook's face on the big screen in the 1984 ad?
  • Reply 79 of 101
    They'll create a broken beer bottle fighting app to make such debates safer.
  • Reply 80 of 101

Bah. Android vs. iPhone is a silly argument. They could have been arguing about something really important, like Nikon vs. Canon. Or Ford vs. Chevy.