Manhattan district attorney grabs attention saying iPhone will become 'device of choice' for terrori

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Might come as little surprise that the biggest threats to our Constitution and personal liberties are coming from our own government these days. This is how freedom dies. One power-hungry "public servant" at a time.

• Reply 22 of 158
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

What the DA is asking for is court-ordered access to examine the contents of a phone. This is no different than a court ordering you to turn over documents or computer files during a criminal investigation or for access to your telephone calls via a wire tap during an investigation.

It is not the wholesale invasion of privacy via the NSA or hackers that is happening everyday. It is targeted.

The fundamental problem is: strong encryption that can't be broken by law enforcement exists.  So even if Apple adds a back door to iPhones, the people who really want to hide something can simply use different technology.  So it's not actually going to help catch terrorists at all -- only dumb petty criminals at most.

• Reply 23 of 158
    auxio wrote: »
    The fundamental problem is: strong encryption that can't be broken by law enforcement exists.  So even if Apple adds a back door to iPhones, the people who really want to hide something can simply use different technology.  So it's not actually going to help catch terrorists at all -- only dumb petty criminals at most.
    Fine, let them. But, why should we make it easier for them? As for the dumb petty criminals, we are making it easier for them too.
  • Reply 24 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Might come as little surprise that the biggest threats to our Constitution and personal liberties are coming from our own government these days. This is how freedom dies. One power-hungry "public servant" at a time.

I think that's giving more credit than is due.  I honestly think it's just public servants who simply don't have a clue when it comes to technology coming up with these laws.

• Reply 25 of 158
    Quote:

Fine, let them. But, why should we make it easier for them? As for the dumb petty criminals, we are making it easier for them too.

Because it's simply not a solution to the problem.  Why should we all give up our privacy for a solution that isn't one?

• Reply 26 of 158
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Up you nose with a rubber hose Mr D/A.... that said---To offer a contrarian view--- I agree with him.

IMO (so be kind, its just an opinion) ---

Super duper crypo-security is not needed on an consumer phone, for phone messages, email etc .
    Why for? Just because we wanna?
    For what reason?-- the off chance someone sniffs your phone and sees your sniffing your neighbor?
    What is the rate/1000 phones of these cyber type crimes? I only hear of antidotal case... my friends phone...

Law enforcement always has had the ability to subpoena mail, tap phones, journals etc. These are good(some would say great) tools when used properly.

Now--- law enforcement access to 'evidence' --- the chatting of bad guys (not necessarily terrorist, just your every day moron crook or murderer) or email info is at risk; or extremely difficult to obtain (or months of computers running to break the crypto), all over some perceived 'want my privacy' hoop-la by the rest of us.

We have basic privacy right(subjext to due process) today, but 'absolute' privacy is another matter; that is not guaranteed nor has it ever.
    An argument could be made that advanced crypto should only be under a license. ( I can fore-see congress back-dooring an amendment of some type requiring it)

Back to our regular programming.
  • Reply 27 of 158
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Up you nose with a rubber hose Mr D/A.... that said---To offer a contrarian view--- I agree with him.

IMO (so be kind, its just an opinion) ---

Super duper crypo-security is not needed on an consumer phone, for phone messages, email etc .
    Why for? Just because we wanna?
    For what reason?-- the off chance someone sniffs your phone and sees your sniffing your neighbor?
    What is the rate/1000 phones of these cyber type crimes? I only hear of antidotal case... my friends phone...

Law enforcement always has had the ability to subpoena mail, tap phones, journals etc. These are good(some would say great) tools when used properly.

Now--- law enforcement access to 'evidence' --- the chatting of bad guys (not necessarily terrorist, just your every day moron crook or murderer) or email info is at risk; or extremely difficult to obtain (or months of computers running to break the crypto), all over some perceived 'want my privacy' hoop-la by the rest of us.

We have basic privacy right(subject to due process) today, but 'absolute' privacy is another matter; that is not guaranteed nor has it ever.
    An argument could be made that advanced crypto should only be under a license. ( I can fore-see congress back-dooring an amendment of some type requiring it)

Back to our regular programming.
  • Reply 28 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I think that's giving more credit than is due.  I honestly think it's just public servants who simply don't have a clue when it comes to technology coming up with these laws.

That's really beside the point. The more power and responsibility people hand over to self-interested persons working in government the more power they'll collect and use, regardless of consequences.

• Reply 29 of 158
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple respects data privacy very high and thus innovate, uses better encryption for iphone users. National security is most important so Government agencies have to come up with different better methods to intercept terrorists communication.
  • Reply 30 of 158
    As Tim Cook said: the bad guys already know how to use encryption.
  • Reply 31 of 158
    Quote:

There is a huge difference between what this DA is asking for and what hackers and the NSA (or the KGB used to) do everyday. [...]

What the DA is asking for is court-ordered access to examine the contents of a phone. [...]

It is not the wholesale invasion of privacy via the NSA or hackers that is happening everyday. It is targeted.

Your negative hue and cry is much akin to the concept of "throwing the baby out with the bath water." [...]

Do you also want to do away with wiretaps as well? Or other court-ordered surveillance? And, if so, at what cost will you decide enough is enough?

You have the issue completely upside down.

There is nothing wrong with wire taps or court orders - nobody suggest these be discontinued. But neither is there anything wrong with people keeping their information private.

Privacy is legal.  And there is nothing wrong with companies or other individuals providing tools that help people maintain LEGAL privacy.  Or do you want to make privacy or privacy tools and services illegal?

You argue, apparently, that all people's rights must be violated to make it easier to catch criminals.  Every police state that ever lived makes that argument.  And what happened when the US government found it easy to eavesdrop?  They began recording people's selfies.

If there was ever a case to make for controlled government access, it would be in a context where the government wasn't already violating everyone's privacy.  We don't live in that context.

• Reply 32 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

They already tried this in the 90s: declaring that strong encryption is a "weapon" and thus subject to the same export regulations as bombs and whatnot.  I'll let you guess at how well that worked out... (can anyone control the spread of knowledge?)

• Reply 33 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's really beside the point. The more power and responsibility people hand over to self-interested persons working in government the more power they'll collect and use, regardless of consequences.

I just think the whole paranoia culture that has developed around believing that everything the government does is highly calculated is nonsense.  That said, I do feel that mindless passing of regulations which don't actually solve problems needs to be stopped.

• Reply 34 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

They already tried this in the 90s: declaring that strong encryption is a "weapon" and thus subject to the same export regulations as bombs and whatnot.  I'll let you guess at how well that worked out... (can anyone control the spread of knowledge?)

And it's even more interesting that the hack used by the US to damage the Iranian reactor some years ago is now the same hack being used against the US by the Chinese. These things are like Pandora's box.

• Reply 35 of 158
    auxio wrote: »
    Because it's simply not a solution to the problem.  Why should we all give up our privacy for a solution that isn't one?
    how are you giving up your lawful right to privacy? What the DA is asking for and to which I agree is the right to access the information via a court order. Are you anticipating law enforcement coming to your door every week or so to check your phone? Or, that it will be read as you pass a check point? The first isn't practical (but would go a long way to solving unemployment). The second is easily solved. Turn your phone off. Of course, if they read every phone, there is still not enough time to use it to pry into your life and everyone else's. It's a matter of practicality.

And, if you are worried about a court order into your life — don't do anything illegal.

The only person giving up privacy is the person having committed or suspected of having committed a crime.
  • Reply 36 of 158
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member

"Apple has created a phone that is dark, that cannot be accessed by law enforcement even when a court has authorized us to look at its contents"

He says that like it's a bad thing.

• Reply 37 of 158
    nevermark wrote: »
    You have the issue completely upside down.

There is nothing wrong with wire taps or court orders - nobody suggest these be discontinued. But neither is there anything wrong with people keeping their information private.

Privacy is legal.  And there is nothing wrong with companies or other individuals providing tools that help people maintain LEGAL privacy.  Or do you want to make privacy or privacy tools and services illegal?

You argue, apparently, that all people's rights must be violated to make it easier to catch criminals.  Every police state that ever lived makes that argument.  And what happened when the US government found it easy to eavesdrop?  They began recording people's selfies.

If there was ever a case to make for controlled government access, it would be in a context where the government wasn't already violating everyone's privacy.  We don't live in that context.
    Of course privacy is legal. I'm not upside down. Allowing access facilitates the forensic activity. One does not have a right to privacy if a court deems that their private information is accessible for examination.

Access affects only those who are targeted by a court order. Not everyone.
  • Reply 38 of 158
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    What do being struck by lightning, winning the lottery, dying of car accidents, having a baby born with one eye, and politicians being trustworthy have in common?

They're all more likely to happen over you dying of a terrorist attack.

Well, except maybe one of them.
  • Reply 39 of 158
    dmdevdmdev Posts: 33member
    Thanks, I now know who _not_ to vote for when his term is up.
  • Reply 40 of 158
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    http://graphics.wsj.com/documents/doc-cloud-embedder/?sidebar=1#1881486-a-wrinkle-in-time-excerpt

Given that that was just released, it seems appropriate. So, Mister District Attorney, stop the fearmongering, you greedy hack.

I agree with you. This country now breeds a whole lot of paranoia and fear. They want to legislate every damn thing. You have to be politically correct about every damn thing. I do not want the NSA or anyone for that matter having backdoor access to my phone. So now the iPhone is the 'terrorist device of choice' gimme a break. I think the bullshitters that we have for politicians are the greatest devices of choice that our enemies have. They are worrying about terrorist how about the humongous debt this great nation is in to the likes of China etc. How about the fact we hardly produce anything as a nation anymore? How about the now shrunken middle class in this country. I'm sure that terrorizes John Q. Public on a daily basis way more.