Manhattan district attorney grabs attention saying iPhone will become 'device of choice' for terrori

Comments

• Reply 61 of 158
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

It isn't you they are after with a back door. That would/should require physical access.

Last time I checked, hackers have a much higher IQ than most of us, and can come up with very creative ways to exploit backdoors, even those meant for local, via remote. Please don't be naive. Have you not read the Snowden docs?

Quote:

I'm fine with a middle ground. Why don't you offer one instead of making silly comments?

Why don't you stop making comments, and having trains of thought, that empower dirtbags like this DA, and your government, to rape and pillage every single shred of entitlement to privacy that your citizens are guaranteed under your constitution? Your ideology is what gives these people the power they're seeking, so you're not helping matters!

• Reply 62 of 158
    freerange wrote: »
    What planet are you living on? The Snowden releases prove unequivocally that the government wants access to all of our digital mobile and phone information all of the time. Period. If they have reasonable and probable cause to go after an individual, they have many many means to monitor that person without gaining access to data on their phone, otherwise they wouldn't even be asking to access their phone. What I and most people expect is for them to do their job with what they have. Otherwise, why not just put microphones in everyone's house so the government can access conversations if they obtain a court order. That is basically what you are proposing by requiring that the government be able to access everyone's phone.
    Your planet. Yes. They collect it. They don't really want it. It is the only way to collect what they want.

Really, they can get everything they need without access to a phone? No. They can't. If they could, it would not be a problem.
  • Reply 63 of 158
    Quote:

It isn't you they are after with a back door. That would/should require physical access.

I think you should lead the way. Make a copy of your house key and provide it to your local law enforcement in case they need to use it when they have a search warrant.

• Reply 64 of 158
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Last time I checked, hackers have a much higher IQ than most of us, and can come up with very creative ways to exploit backdoors, even those meant for local, via remote. Please don't be naive. Have you not read the Snowden docs?

Why don't you stop making comments, and having trains of thought, that empower dirtbags like this DA, and your government, to rape and pillage every single shred of entitlement to privacy that your citizens are guaranteed under your constitution? Your ideology is what gives these people the power they're seeking, so you're not helping matters!
    when you have something other than insults to offer, I'll pay attention to you.
  • Reply 65 of 158
    Quote:

when you have something other than insults to offer, I'll pay attention to you.

When you stand up for your rights and privileges as a US Citizen, and stop brown nosing the politicians giving it to you from behind and you taking it gladly, I'll pay attention to you.

By your logic, and this DA's, you're essentially stating that because I want to have my content fully encrypted and secure (to the best of my abilities), because I value my rights to privacy and the sanctity of my home, that it labels me a terrorist that is against "the system" that now wants to violate my rights.

Yeah, nice try buddy.

• Reply 66 of 158
    so, when you're buying your next smartphone remember... security is everyone's concern.

look for the "scrutinized for your protection" label across your handset.

By choosing an NSA certified, pre-cracked cellphone you can help make sure terrorists have nowhere to hide.

Remember, the safer the handset, the more dangerous the country.
  • Reply 66 of 158
    nevermark wrote: »

You are arguing that privacy technology is not legal if you are arguing that all information must be kept in some government accessible form.

Either it is legal to keep your information encrypted, so other parties can't look at it, or it isn't.  You are saying governments should always have a technical means of accessing your data, which means you are saying that it should be illegal for people to choose to keep their data private with encryption unless they give keys to someone else.

Are you really saying you think it should be illegal for people to have encrypted data without sharing their keys with someone?
    No. I said data on the phone should be accessible. There is a difference between accessible and understandable.
  • Reply 68 of 158
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Don't be fooled by this incapable DA.  He is trying to link terrorism with the iPhone.  His arguments are full of flaws.  If he has court approval why can't he search other things of the suspect?  If this is a terrorism, is he assuming an iPhone can do great harm to people?  Any sane people will know iPhone can not do great harm to people.  So the suspect must use something else.  This something else is for the DA to find out.   I think I have given this DA too many lessons. :-)

• Reply 69 of 158
    . I think you should lead the way. Make a copy of your house key and provide it to your local law enforcement in case they need to use it when they have a search warrant.
    if they come with a warrant to search my house, I'll open the door. Same thing with the phone
  • Reply 70 of 158

When you stand up for your rights and privileges as a US Citizen, and stop brown nosing the politicians giving it to you from behind and you taking it gladly, I'll pay attention to you.

By your logic, and this DA's, you're essentially stating that because I want to have my content fully encrypted and secure (to the best of my abilities), because I value my rights to privacy and the sanctity of my home, that it labels me a terrorist that is against "the system" that now wants to violate my rights.

Yeah, nice try buddy.
    Insults again. You offer nothing constructive. Just personal insults.

I do wonder, though, why are you so angry. Why are you so angry or insecure that you feel it necessary to attack a nameless, faceless entity on the net just because you don't like the way they think.

Don't you realize that that puts you in the same boat with people who want to track everything? You are doing no better than any dictator who tries to drown out free speech with insults and fearmongering.

Yes, you are doing the very thing that you accuse the DA of doing!
  • Reply 71 of 158
    Quote:

Insults again. You offer nothing constructive. Just personal insults.

Here's a head's up for you, you're offering ZERO in way of constructive comments as well. In fact, what I've stated makes a LOT more sense than anything you've spewed...

• Reply 72 of 158
    Quote:

if they come with a warrant to search my house, I'll open the door. Same thing with the phone

Which is the same as others would likely do (with encryption in place so access can't be abused by whomever decides they really must have access with or without your consent). If you don't want law enforcement to have backdoor access to your house, why should they have it to your phone or other devices?

• Reply 73 of 158

Here's a head's up for you, you're offering ZERO in way of constructive comments as well. In fact, what I've stated makes a LOT more sense than anything you've spewed...
    I have made comments that add to the discussion without belittling. Whether you think they are constructive or not is an opinion. You are entitled to your opinion. So am I. Too bad you don't offer me the same courtesy.
  • Reply 74 of 158
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This Manhattan DA can kiss my ass.

Also, most terrorists are Windows users and probably Android users too. I follow these sorts of things, and I don't ever recall any terrorist ever being caught with a Mac laptop or an iPhone. I'm sure that there are a few terrorists that have Apple devices, since there's hundreds of millions of Apple devices floating around, but the preferred device for most terrorists is not Apple. Maybe terrorists are cheap bastards too, just like many Fandroids.

Look at the bright side of things. I see this as good advertising for Apple.

Do we see the Manhattan DA warning against Windows Phone or Android? He's basically saying the iPhone is too secure! That's awesome!

The iPhone is of course already insanely popular, but these sorts of things will only reinforce the iPhone's dominance, and even more people will want one, because people value their privacy and they don't want any bastards from the government snooping in on them.

I even saw on the news today that they were reporting about how Apple does not allow any backdoors, and the news anchor was asking since Obama and Apple are tight, why doesn't Apple allow backdoors, because Obama is in favor of backdoors.

Both Obama and the Manhattan DA can kiss my ass.

• Reply 75 of 158
    Which is the same as others would likely do (with encryption in place so access can't be abused by whomever decides they really must have access with or without your consent). If you don't want law enforcement to have backdoor access to your house, why should they have it to your phone or other devices?
    There is a difference between having a phone with encrypted data and an encrypted phone. I want the first. Not the second.
  • Reply 76 of 158
    Quote:

There is a difference between having a phone with encrypted data and an encrypted phone. I want the first. Not the second.

You desire that for yourself or for everyone? In your mind, what is the difference between an encrypted phone and a phone with encrypted data?

Imagine this scenario. A police officer stops you for speeding. He asks for your license, registration and proof of insurance. You now have everything electronically on your iPhone so you hand it to him to take a look. He proceeds to take it back to his cruiser and connects it to his "backdoor iPhone access" device and just starts looking around on your phone. Would you be cool with that?

• Reply 77 of 158
    Quote:

I have made comments that add to the discussion without belittling. Whether you think they are constructive or not is an opinion. You are entitled to your opinion. So am I. Too bad you don't offer me the same courtesy.

I do not extend any courtesy to those who ignorantly, and willfully hand over their rights to freedom and privacy in the name of empowering a power-hungry police state government, which uses the oldest excuses in the book to gain complete and total power over its population. It's quite obvious you haven't read any of the data that's been revealed by the likes of Wikileaks or Edward Snowden, who show just how many freedoms people have lost because of their government, who feeds incessantly on people like you who willfully give them that ability.

• Reply 78 of 158
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

And just FYI, few people are more against the terrorists than I am. I support full genocide and the elimination of all terrorists, but I do not support the US govt spying on all citizens in the way that they have, because the US govt and our politicians are not to be trusted, as they have shown time and time again when it comes to these sorts of things.

• Reply 79 of 158
    goofy1958goofy1958 Posts: 165member
    Quote:

If the back door is only accessible via physical access, just how does that enable a hacker?

First, I don't recall reading anything about it being physical access.  Where did you read that at???  He needs a back door to bypass the encryption.  How does physical access change that?

• Reply 80 of 158
    formosaformosa Posts: 261member

Where is this ultimately headed? U.S. Supreme Court vs. Apple? To force them to "open up" iOS based on the issue of national security?