Bring back iPhoto Now.!!!!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited July 2015

I'm a photographer...and whether you are a professional or amateur you use various tools. 

Apple, in force feeding the new "Pictures" app has stripped millions of people of a tool they use every day...and have force fed them a "scrapbook friendly" piece of junk... 

 

Apple has $1800 of my money, has taken away a vital tool I (& millions) need, and remains silent.. Yosemite is the beginning of making Apple a lot like PC's...which is a real shame for those of us in the arts who have always used Apple products...

 

If Apple does not reintroduce iPhoto to Yosemite and keep it for all future OS...

I will NEVER but another Apple product... You simply don't have the right to "innovate" great tools away without warning... Shame on you.

 

Dennis

«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member

    What "Pictures" App?

     

    You ruin a fairly valid point by not even knowing what you are looking at.

  • Reply 2 of 39
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,835member

    No, Apple was never, ever going to keep iPhoto "for all future OSs".

    If you thought that when you bought your Mac, you were deeply mistaken.

     

    There's a big world of Mac applications. If you don't have the time to give Photos a chance to fill in its gaps, then find another app that works for you.

     

    iPhoto's never coming back. Get used to that.

  • Reply 3 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member



    Apple is going to stuff up any of the applications it cons you into committing to. Along with the files you create with them.

     

    And they are never coming back. Get used to that.

  • Reply 4 of 39

    For those of us who are artist and not tech people as you appear to be...we are busy creating thing, not reading tech updates...and there was not enough notification for "regular consumers/users" about the demise of iPhoto...

  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

     

    No, Apple was never, ever going to keep iPhoto "for all future OSs".

    If you thought that when you bought your Mac, you were deeply mistaken.

     

    There's a big world of Mac applications. If you don't have the time to give Photos a chance to fill in its gaps, then find another app that works for you.

     

    iPhoto's never coming back. Get used to that.


    Thanks for your insight Frank....I see you have over 5000 posts...this is my first...since I'm a photographer and not a Mac expert... Not sure about your need for a snippy tone...

  • Reply 6 of 39
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,835member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dennisokeefe View Post

     

    Thanks for your insight Frank....I see you have over 5000 posts...this is my first...since I'm a photographer and not a Mac expert... Not sure about your need for a snippy tone...




    Point taken.

     

    We have been down this road a number of times before, with iMovie, Final Cut Pro and the entire iWork suite. Everytime, there's been weeping and gnashing of teeth when the App gets overhauled and features are missing. It is like listening to the same record over and over again.

     

    Like their penchant to replace older ports with newer ones before the market is fully there, Apple does largely the same with software. When an app gets rebuilt they introduce it to ensure the basics are sound, and then add features back in the next few releases.

     

    It can be exasperating if you depend solely on Apple apps to run your business. But if Apple goes as far as disabling iPhoto when you update to Photos, I'd guess that they are pretty sure the features are going to be back relatively soon.

     

    However, making your first post a threat to never buy another Mac unless Apple accedes to your wishes is a silly way to try to make your point. There are dozens of photo apps available on the Mac. If you do not like Apple's methods, looking elsewhere is the logical thing to do.

  • Reply 7 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

     

    When an app gets rebuilt they introduce it to ensure the basics are sound, and then add features back in the next few releases.


     

    But their tactic now is to simply remove the features, which stay missing.

     

    iWork is a case in point. Nearly 20 months later and Pages still has over 100, mostly key, features missing and numerous bugs and permanent problems with merging files and sending files via eMails. Also when they installed the new iWork Apps unannounced on user's Macs they damaged a lot of user's files and left a lot more inaccessible.

     

    A lot of users are still totally confused as to why they get error messages out of the blue and can't open their own files. Or can't share their files because of the ludicrously narrow requirements for software and hardware.

     

    Apple can't be using the software themselves or it too would have ground to a halt.

     

    Who willingly trusts their work to a Company that unilaterally changes everything out of the blue, dumps their product, or you, and creates endless havoc with your business.

     

    That was why so many left when Apple trashed Final Cut Pro and now many photographers will do the same Apple has dumped Aperture.

     

    It is easy to continue on as if nothing has happened because you never did know.

     


    I used to love Macs because they were low maintenance and fairly clear as to how they worked. Now I spend a great deal of my time trying to migrate or save my work, and find out what Apple has done to everything.

  • Reply 8 of 39

    Then just keep using iPhoto or Aperture.

    It's still on the computer and still fully functional (unless YOU deleted it)...

  • Reply 9 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member



    So keep adding files to Aperture, so it will be even worse later on?

     

    Apple, our landlord, has put a demolition notice on all their once prosperous software. I would hardly advise anyone to move more furniture in in anticipation of the years of neglect before the wrecker's ball finally puts them out of their misery.

     

    There are already problems with Pages, Media Manager, iPhoto, Photos, and Aperture.

  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dennisokeefe View Post

     

    For those of us who are artist and not tech people as you appear to be...we are busy creating thing, not reading tech updates...and there was not enough notification for "regular consumers/users" about the demise of iPhoto...




    With respect, Photos was announced nearly a year ago and it was clearly stated at the time that it would replace iPhoto. That information was on the Apple website amongst other places. I understand that it may not have been obvious unless you follow these things, but I'm not sure how they should be notifying people other than via public announcements.

     

    The best thing they've done by softening the change is allowing iPhoto (and Aperture) to live alongside Photos. If you migrate your pictures into the new app, you can still access them in the old one. The only thing is that edits in one won't be reflected in the other. As an aside, doing this doesn't duplicate your photos – the new library 'references' the photos where they already are. (More details on that here).

     

    I've been an Aperture user for a few years and I am disappointed that it is being 'let go'. I'm also not rapt in the new Photos app. However, I can see where Apple are going with this: they are trying to make their 'ecosystem' work seamlessly across iOS and OS X. The sync feature of Photos is very impressive already, from that point of view. That said, Photos is clearly, at least at this stage, a consumer-level application. I would suggest that if you are serious about your photography and you don't like Photos, try Pixelmator or Lightroom or Photo Effects or one of the numerous other options. Personally I've moved to Lightroom as its management of large numbers of pictures is at least as good as Aperture, and they are still improving it.

     

    As others have said, Photos will get better and will eventually be a really good application, though I doubt it will ever be a 'professional/serious enthusiast' option.

  • Reply 11 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by djb21au View Post

     

    As others have said, Photos will get better and will eventually be a really good application, though I doubt it will ever be a 'professional/serious enthusiast' option.


     

    Yes people say that, but how do they "know" that?

     

    The evidence with Apple's apps lately is the opposite.

  • Reply 12 of 39
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

    What, exactly, is missing from Photos? As far as I can see it has mostly the same or, in some cases, increased functionality over iPhoto.

  • Reply 13 of 39



    How about the ability to rate photos?  I hate how you only have the option to press that heart button.  Great.  That might be suitable for someone who uses Facebook.  I used to rate all of my photos and would then classify them using smart folders for easy export to thumb drives.  That's just impossible now.  Why they took away that feature baffles me.

     

    How about being able to batch change names of photos?  I know those folks who only look at pics on their iDevices don't care about what a photo is named, but I do.  As it stands now, I have to click on each photo separately and name it.  That may not be infuriating if there's one or two photos taken of a specific event, but when there's even forty, and three separate events, it's really annoying.  

     

    A new App, I'd think would come with new features.  Why is it that we've had the ability to shoot video on our iPhones now since the 3GS (maybe the 3G, I can't remember, it's been too long), and yet here we are in 2015 and do you think with our fast wifi we could get the photos app to import our video without plugging in the phones to the computer?  Nope.  Or here's a crazy idea, how about they automatically import it into iMovie because they are videos.  This is a Photos thread so I won't get into the issues I have with iMovie.  The point here, is that we don't have auto import and export of videos shot with our iPhones in 2015.  What is up with that oversight?  

     

    How about being able to tell the Photos app to put the photos in Descending order rather than Ascending?  It's annoying to me that iPhoto had the ability to change this preference, and I could set it so that all of my new photos were at the top of the window rather than at the bottom.  For some odd reason, I think that older pictures ought to be below the newer ones.  That's how my mind works.  Photos took that feature away.

     

    I fully understand that Photos is a 1.0 release.  I understand that the folks who worked on it did the best they could with the time they were given.  I also am aware that in some cases, Apple apps do get better as the version number increases (don't even get me started on the abomination that has become Pages).  Lately, though, I've seen Apple removing features rather than giving us additional functionality (and the whole pics in the cloud thing might be great for the Facebook crowd, but I was happy with Photo Stream, and still use it today.  Apple didn't impress me with the Photos App, and I still use iPhoto just for the reasons I mentioned above.  Photos has a long way to go before I make the switch.  If Pixelmator was better at photo management, I'd convert over to them and just be done with this issue.  As it stands now, I'm in limbo, with iPhoto no longer supported by Apple, and Photos not being a worthy replacement of iPhoto IMHO.  

  • Reply 14 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

     

    What, exactly, is missing from Photos? As far as I can see it has mostly the same or, in some cases, increased functionality over iPhoto.




    That's the trouble with Apple's users today.

     

    They know so little about the software but are very quick to make statements like this. Doing Apple's dirty work for it.

     

    On Apple's Pages forum we have people proudly declaring that they love Pages 5 because it is so "terrific", a huge improvement! They love it for all the new features! As it has lost well over 100 features and really doesn't work that well, ignoring the bugs, we press them for what are these new features? In the hope that they have found something we missed. Then they mention something that has been in Pages for years and used to work better!

     

    Typically users also say that they "know" Apple is going fix everything and put all the features back. Well we have been waiting over 20 months now and Pages is pretty much what it was when they dropped it on us, complete with most of the bugs. We all know how Apple gets bored with its products and moves onto something else to "improve".

     

    Worse the software only runs on the very latest version of OS X and Apple's server and mail software, so it has huge compatibility issues with Mac users, ignoring every other user in the known universe. To cap it off files that it will work with, keep disappearing on iCloud or refusing to open or save.

     

    Look, none of us know Apple's schedule on this (because, shhhh, it's a secret!) So we can't know how long they have really been working on it, nor where they are going with this. All we can do is observe, and what we see is Apple reducing all their software down to fairly low aspirations. Nothing to challenge iPad users, but always with superficial appearances to the forefront. i.e. things that will impress you on quick glance in the Apple Store, but with no depth.

     

    Minimalism is good as a design objective, that is minimalism in UI and layout, but with enormous functionality under the hood. Now we are just getting the first, and the rest never shows up.

     

    Apple has made a huge decision about 2 or 3 years back that they are now in the business of cat videos and selfies. They aren't declaring that though because they don't want all the more ambitious users to bail out. 

     

    After having made the move to shed myself of all my Microsoft products due to bad UI and bloatware, then all my Adobe software due to subscription plans and bloatware, I am now having to drop all Apple software due to lack of functionality, bugs and because my files are no longer safe. Which is enormously disruptive and time wasting, not to mention killing my work because Apple's software was very good and is hard to replace. But we are being pushed up against the wall, what else can you do?

     

    Hopefully the huge opportunity that is opening up for third party developers will mean somebody will step into the breach. But it is hard to compete with free software, even if that is as basic and dysfunctional as this. Microsoft ruined a couple of generations of web developers with Internet Explorer, Apple is doing this to everything, not just web browsing.

  • Reply 15 of 39
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

     

    What, exactly, is missing from Photos? As far as I can see it has mostly the same or, in some cases, increased functionality over iPhoto.




    That's the trouble with Apple's users today.

     

    They know so little about the software but are very quick to make statements like this. Doing Apple's dirty work for it.

     

    On Apple's Pages forum we have people proudly declaring that they love Pages 5 because it is so "terrific", a huge improvement! They love it for all the new features! As it has lost well over 100 features and really doesn't work that well, ignoring the bugs, we press them for what are these new features? In the hope that they have found something we missed. Then they mention something that has been in Pages for years and used to work better!

     

    Typically users also say that they "know" Apple is going fix everything and put all the features back. Well we have been waiting over 20 months now and Pages is pretty much what it was when they dropped it on us, complete with most of the bugs. We all know how Apple gets bored with its products and moves onto something else to "improve".

     

    Worse the software only runs on the very latest version of OS X and Apple's server and mail software, so it has huge compatibility issues with Mac users, ignoring every other user in the known universe. To cap it off files that it will work with, keep disappearing on iCloud or refusing to open or save.

     

    Look, none of us know Apple's schedule on this (because, shhhh, it's a secret!) So we can't know how long they have really been working on it, nor where they are going with this. All we can do is observe, and what we see is Apple reducing all their software down to fairly low aspirations. Nothing to challenge iPad users, but always with superficial appearances to the forefront. i.e. things that will impress you on quick glance in the Apple Store, but with no depth.

     

    Minimalism is good as a design objective, that is minimalism in UI and layout, but with enormous functionality under the hood. Now we are just getting the first, and the rest never shows up.

     

    Apple has made a huge decision about 2 or 3 years back that they are now in the business of cat videos and selfies. They aren't declaring that though because they don't want all the more ambitious users to bail out. 

     

    After having made the move to shed myself of all my Microsoft products due to bad UI and bloatware, then all my Adobe software due to subscription plans and bloatware, I am now having to drop all Apple software due to lack of functionality, bugs and because my files are no longer safe. Which is enormously disruptive and time wasting, not to mention killing my work because Apple's software was very good and is hard to replace. But we are being pushed up against the wall, what else can you do?

     

    Hopefully the huge opportunity that is opening up for third party developers will mean somebody will step into the breach. But it is hard to compete with free software, even if that is as basic and dysfunctional as this. Microsoft ruined a couple of generations of web developers with Internet Explorer, Apple is doing this to everything, not just web browsing.




    Strange response. A long diatribe asserting that I don't know the software (Photos) and then just ranting about Pages and feeling abandoned. Not a single mention of any actual issues with the Photos app. Have you even used it? This, and other threads, are full of non-specific complaints about the app, with little elaboration of the problem. Or, in your case, none at all.

  • Reply 16 of 39
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

     



    How about the ability to rate photos?  I hate how you only have the option to press that heart button.  Great.  That might be suitable for someone who uses Facebook.  I used to rate all of my photos and would then classify them using smart folders for easy export to thumb drives.  That's just impossible now.  Why they took away that feature baffles me.

     

    How about being able to batch change names of photos?  I know those folks who only look at pics on their iDevices don't care about what a photo is named, but I do.  As it stands now, I have to click on each photo separately and name it.  That may not be infuriating if there's one or two photos taken of a specific event, but when there's even forty, and three separate events, it's really annoying.  

     

    A new App, I'd think would come with new features.  Why is it that we've had the ability to shoot video on our iPhones now since the 3GS (maybe the 3G, I can't remember, it's been too long), and yet here we are in 2015 and do you think with our fast wifi we could get the photos app to import our video without plugging in the phones to the computer?  Nope.  Or here's a crazy idea, how about they automatically import it into iMovie because they are videos.  This is a Photos thread so I won't get into the issues I have with iMovie.  The point here, is that we don't have auto import and export of videos shot with our iPhones in 2015.  What is up with that oversight?  

     

    How about being able to tell the Photos app to put the photos in Descending order rather than Ascending?  It's annoying to me that iPhoto had the ability to change this preference, and I could set it so that all of my new photos were at the top of the window rather than at the bottom.  For some odd reason, I think that older pictures ought to be below the newer ones.  That's how my mind works.  Photos took that feature away.

     

    I fully understand that Photos is a 1.0 release.  I understand that the folks who worked on it did the best they could with the time they were given.  I also am aware that in some cases, Apple apps do get better as the version number increases (don't even get me started on the abomination that has become Pages).  Lately, though, I've seen Apple removing features rather than giving us additional functionality (and the whole pics in the cloud thing might be great for the Facebook crowd, but I was happy with Photo Stream, and still use it today.  Apple didn't impress me with the Photos App, and I still use iPhoto just for the reasons I mentioned above.  Photos has a long way to go before I make the switch.  If Pixelmator was better at photo management, I'd convert over to them and just be done with this issue.  As it stands now, I'm in limbo, with iPhoto no longer supported by Apple, and Photos not being a worthy replacement of iPhoto IMHO.  




    As far as I can tell, rating has been merged with keywords which it was always, technically, a subset of anyway. It's trivial to continue to use any number of stars that you want, and assign a single key shortcut to assigning them. Batch change does seem to have gone - I hadn't noticed because I never used iPhoto for that kind of work. The video issue is a real one - it is strange that video import is not as seamless as photos. I use Dropbox to transfer, but that is obviously a workaround. Sorting is less powerful, but I never used it anyway - just the search functions which are more flexible for most purposes than sorting. If the ability to choose ascending or descending matters to you then I can see that it might be annoying. The main thing that I have found lacking is that drag and drop onto other applications appears to be broken, but I assume that is either a bug or something that will be restored quickly, since it is generally a fundamental feature of the operating system.

     

    Both iPhoto and Photos have reasonable global non-destructive editing and adjustment tools, with a bit more control in the new app, and work fine for casual editing. Neither are my choice for serious photo management and editing however - I use NX2, DXO and Photoshop for that purpose. 

  • Reply 17 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member

    Yes I have used it. I went through it thoroughly, through all the menus/UI/contextual UI, to realise there really isn't much there. As I said, same story as every other "upgrade" from Apple lately.

     

    And I didn't need to elaborate, other posters have done that already and I really don't want to waste time on every single thing that's gone. That would be too long. I am an Aperture user by the way so the gap in features is even greater.

     

    Why don't you elaborate on the "increased functionality over iPhoto", your list seems to be a series of "Nah, didn't use that anyway".

  • Reply 18 of 39
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dennisokeefe View Post

     

    I'm a photographer...and whether you are a professional or amateur you use various tools. 

    Apple, in force feeding the new "Pictures" app has stripped millions of people of a tool they use every day...and have force fed them a "scrapbook friendly" piece of junk... 

     

    Apple has $1800 of my money, has taken away a vital tool I (& millions) need, and remains silent.. Yosemite is the beginning of making Apple a lot like PC's...which is a real shame for those of us in the arts who have always used Apple products...

     

    If Apple does not reintroduce iPhoto to Yosemite and keep it for all future OS...

    I will NEVER but another Apple product... You simply don't have the right to "innovate" great tools away without warning... Shame on you.

     

    Dennis




    Get a grip. 

     

    Photos shits on iPhoto, and Aperture for that matter.

  • Reply 19 of 39
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post

     

    Yes I have used it. I went through it thoroughly, through all the menus/UI/contextual UI, to realise there really isn't much there. As I said, same story as every other "upgrade" from Apple lately.

     

    And I didn't need to elaborate, other posters have done that already and I really don't want to waste time on every single thing that's gone. That would be too long. I am an Aperture user by the way so the gap in features is even greater.

     

    Why don't you elaborate on the "increased functionality over iPhoto", your list seems to be a series of "Nah, didn't use that anyway".




    That's the problem - this thread contains very little on the actual lost functionality.  In terms of improvements, it has more detailed adjustments, such as independent level controls on the color channels, more advanced options for white balance, more options for sharpening, more color adjustments. Plus it is much faster.

     

    So - again - what are you missing from iPhotos?

  • Reply 20 of 39
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member



    Beyond what has been pointed out above for iPhoto, a lot because I am an Aperture user.

     

    Do you seriously want me to go through the enormous list of things I can't do in Photos that I can in Aperture?

     

    Frankly I don't care. As I have pointed out at length it is just another dumbed down Apple app that has effectively trashed the one that I used to use.

     

    The ball is in your court to demonstrate that it is an improvement as you claim. Good luck with that.

     

    Shall I start the improvements list from just your post:

     

    Rating is no longer separate

    Stars gone, you need a clumsy work around. 

    Batch change gone.

    Video gone.

    Dropbox to transfer, an unnecessary workaround.

    Sorting is less powerful.

    Can't choose ascending or descending

    Drag and drop is broken.

    …and the one you didn't mention, it only works in OS X 10.10.3 and is only compatible with other Apps that run in OS X 10.10.3 e.g. the iWork Apps.

Sign In or Register to comment.